Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What's the best/least obnoxious way to level up alternate classes these days?

I kind of wish alts weren't so heavily disincentivized in this game-- playing alts has always been one of my favorite things to do in mmos, and it'd be cool to see the whole ARR story again and not separated out across months between patches, but it seems so suboptimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rincewind posted:

What's the best/least obnoxious way to level up alternate classes these days?

I kind of wish alts weren't so heavily disincentivized in this game-- playing alts has always been one of my favorite things to do in mmos, and it'd be cool to see the whole ARR story again and not separated out across months between patches, but it seems so suboptimal.

Hunts to 10
Hunts/Fates in Aleport to 15 (toss in some Guildhests)
At 15, do daily LLDR, power some more Aleport Fates until 20
QuarryMill Fates from 20-27
Costa Del Sol Fates from 37-40
N. Thanalan from 40-50

Do LLDR/Guildhest for daily bonuses.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Jaina should have killed Arthas blizzard can't even steal kills from players properly

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

To me, the best part of 2.55 is just Raubahn going Hulk and bisecting Teledji. During that whole cutscene, all I could think is "WHY CANT I PUNCH THIS gently caress IN THE FACE?!" and I expected it to be one of those video game story things where he gets to lord around and be an rear end in a top hat and we just have to wait to deal with him until another time. Seeing Raubahn ruin him was probably the most satisfying thing to ever happen in this game.

The one thing that cutscene really had me pissed about is the loving world-saving hero gets captured by some nameless mooks trope. I mean come the gently caress on. Especially since there are very, very few NPCs who were in the city and could be any real threat to your character. Raubahn and Ilberd are the only non-Scions who you couldn't just destroy without breaking a sweat, and yet Teledji arrests you using a handful of nameless fucks whom Yda and Papalymo beat the poo poo out of and would do so forever if they weren't getting tired? I could understand if your guy drank some of the poisoned wine too but you didn't. You're fully rested and armed. You know that you've just been setup and the guy at/near the top of your short list of suspects is the one who walks right in on you? Come the gently caress on.

It's the dumbest loving trope and probably the thing I hated the most about the ending. I know this is Final Fantasy and not Fallout, since if it was Fallout I'd have taken the "kill every last motherfucker who looks at me the wrong way" option, but goddamn. Come on. Your character is a literal World Saving God Slayer and everyone knows it.

I hope that Cid, Biggs, and Wedge eventually craft a prosthetic arm for Raubahn after his inevitable jailbreak so you can go back to Ul'Dah with him and watch him get some sweet vengeance as a goddamn magitek cyborg. :black101:

Mordiceius posted:

Hell, you can look at what a lot of people would consider a filler section in 2.55: The events with the Scholar/Hoary Boulder's crew, and the events with Tataru.

Uh, what?
I Legit wanted Tataru to become an arcanist, even a weak one, so she could have some growth beyond the token :buddy: Feel Good Everyone Happy :buddy: character. Plus her ACN outfit was the best. :3:

Instead it was "Tataru you're perfect just the way you are" which we've gotten with her before. Multiple times IIRC.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

m.hache posted:

Hunts to 10
N. Thanalan from 40-50

When did running around Coerthas chaining FATEs fall out of favor? I see that level range missing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 2, 2015

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

When did running around Coerthas chaining FATEs fall out of favor?

At approximately patch 2.0, because coerthas is a shithole

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

The one thing that cutscene really had me pissed about is the loving world-saving hero gets captured by some nameless mooks trope. I mean come the gently caress on. Especially since there are very, very few NPCs who were in the city and could be any real threat to your character. Raubahn and Ilberd are the only non-Scions who you couldn't just destroy without breaking a sweat, and yet Teledji arrests you using a handful of nameless fucks whom Yda and Papalymo beat the poo poo out of and would do so forever if they weren't getting tired? I could understand if your guy drank some of the poisoned wine too but you didn't. You're fully rested and armed. You know that you've just been setup and the guy at/near the top of your short list of suspects is the one who walks right in on you? Come the gently caress on.

It's the dumbest loving trope and probably the thing I hated the most about the ending. I know this is Final Fantasy and not Fallout, since if it was Fallout I'd have taken the "kill every last motherfucker who looks at me the wrong way" option, but goddamn. Come on. Your character is a literal World Saving God Slayer and everyone knows it.

Accused of killing the Sultana, your response is to kill the guards? There's almost nothing you could do to make the situation worse than doing that.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

When did running around Coerthas chaining FATEs fall out of favor?

Honestly I've only started playing this game a few months ago but I got a SCH (my second character) to 49.5 in like 3 weeks with ~1.5 hours of play a day. This also includes a lot of loving around with my BLM and my now 30 DRG.

On average I was getting 1.5 levels a day on her. Mostly attributed to my instant LLDR queues. If you can take advantage of instant queues (tank or healer) dungeons will always be the best way to level. Cutters Cry was giving me ~3k xp a kill.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kharaa posted:

Doesn't change the fact that there's more activity there with people still. It's a good place for the 29-39 range, by volume alone.

KoB
May 1, 2009

m.hache posted:

Hunts to 10
N. Thanalan from 40-50

Is 28-36 where you just pray to the FF14 gods?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

Is 28-36 where you just pray to the FF14 gods?

Sorry typo. Costa Del Sol pretty much 27-40. Place always has groups running around.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

kharaa posted:

There has been a continuous fate party up in coerthas since launch.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Quarrymill 20-30
Costa 30-36
Coerthas 36-42
Nthan 42-50

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
this is a spoiler image thats also funny

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I think they could do both. For this person in particular: Let Ilberd take control of the Omega weapon. We walk along sign Raubahn. We help dismantle the Omega weapon and then fight waves of soldiers while Raubahn and Ilberd duel. Then, Raubuhn gets to land the final blow. Remember how Tirion (ORIGINAL CHARCTER DO NOT STEAL) stole the killshot on the Lich King? Imagine that but good.

Ilberd? Getting a giant loving robot weapon? http://imgur.com/a/uwh5Y

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Looked through my blacklist and all of two spammers have been deleted from it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doublestep posted:

Quarrymill 20-30
Costa 30-36
Coerthas 36-42
Nthan 42-50

I found Quarrymill to be such a loving slog but you can start leaching fates at 27 in Costa. I usually jump ship then.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
That's dumb and you get really poo poo experience for going into fates early

Quarrymill also has two epic event fates that give boatloads of experience

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blhue posted:

Looked through my blacklist and all of two spammers have been deleted from it.

Banned characters don't become (deleted), unless the character is entirely deleted from the server, which isn't done by default so wrongful bannings can contest it.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I Legit wanted Tataru to become an arcanist, even a weak one, so she could have some growth beyond the token :buddy: Feel Good Everyone Happy :buddy: character. Plus her ACN outfit was the best. :3:

Instead it was "Tataru you're perfect just the way you are" which we've gotten with her before. Multiple times IIRC.

Kinda hopeful now that she's in Ishgard for the 3.0 story she finds her talent with numbers suits her well to becoming an Astrologian... or maybe Machinist? (comedy option Tataru Dark Knight :megadeath:)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:lol:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was pretty sure you are unarmed in there. Sure you're a godslayer with your weapon on you, but without it you're just a dude.

As far as low leveling, another option is grab another friend in the same ballpark as you, whip out your bird, and start slamming every mob that is your level or slightly higher you can. Chain experience, especially at the lowest levels, can be really good. You can very quickly duo up a couple off classes to almost 20 with a quickness just by doing that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Do the item collection leves. Hella experience every 30 seconds.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

kharaa posted:

Hope you aren't implying 1.0 Coerthas was better because :lol:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doublestep posted:

That's dumb and you get really poo poo experience for going into fates early

Quarrymill also has two epic event fates that give boatloads of experience

Honestly, I found most of my time there was a lot of wait time for Quarrymill Fates.

Also I was getting full XP from monsters killed in the area by simply tossing a Bio I on them and letting the groups do the dirty work.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was pretty sure you are unarmed in there. Sure you're a godslayer with your weapon on you, but without it you're just a dude.

As far as low leveling, another option is grab another friend in the same ballpark as you, whip out your bird, and start slamming every mob that is your level or slightly higher you can. Chain experience, especially at the lowest levels, can be really good. You can very quickly duo up a couple off classes to almost 20 with a quickness just by doing that.

let me tell you about the pillars of judgemental :911: light that i shine down on my foes

e; let me also tell you about the fire that i can loving breathe as well

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

m.hache posted:

Honestly, I found most of my time there was a lot of wait time for Quarrymill Fates.

Also I was getting full XP from monsters killed in the area by simply tossing a Bio I on them and letting the groups do the dirty work.

Why weren't you levelling as Scholar and doing dungeons?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah but the damage from all of that stems from your weapon. You could heat the sultana's soup, but your flare ain't burning a drat thing with no weapon damage.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah but the damage from all of that stems from your weapon. You could heat the sultana's soup, but your flare ain't burning a drat thing with no weapon damage.

Explain MNK/PGL, smart guy!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Popehoist posted:

Explain MNK/PGL, smart guy!

You have a set of knuckles on your hands. You might be the best brawler in the world, but without your weighted gloves you're gonna get dogpiled and smacked up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If this were other games I'd agree with you on the monk point, but in this one, even those sweet rear end combos you shadowbox so well aren't going to do dick to a few dudes that are armored and armed if you don't have your magic gloves on.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Holy poo poo.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I always carry a backup staff.

E: even with just your wearable gear you're still doing tons of pain

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

kafziel posted:

Accused of killing the Sultana, your response is to kill the guards? There's almost nothing you could do to make the situation worse than doing that.

This is pretty much it. Our character can be a bit of a stooge at times, but it can be inferred that they're wise enough to the situation to realize that getting directly involved in this fight would just have caused more problems.

As it stands, the blame they tried to pin on us doesn't seem to be getting much traction. There are Crystal Braves, and even some Brass Blades, that haven't personally turned on us despite who's paying them. A Brave NPC in Ul'dah, hanging around at the Ruby Road Exchange, recognizes you and worriedly tells you to lay low. A Brass Blade keeping watch on the entrance to the Rising Stones says that while orders are orders, he knows better than to think of you as the villain here.

If you talk to Swift after the fact, he also sums things up well. We did the right thingl. Going on a murder spree, however justified and satisfying, would've destablized Ul'dah to the point of open warfare in the streets. It can be inferred that, as it is, the Monetarists are running damage control -- they wanted to pin the blame on us openly for the Sultana's assassination, but they can't, so they've trumped up some story about how she's just ill. Let them sweat. Meanwhile, our friends in town are keeping a perfect poker face.

On another satisfying note, concerning the Ishgardians: I love how, after all is said and done, they're now openly embracing us and saying we can call Coerthas home as long as we need to. After the infuriating dealings with them while questing in 2.0, they've proven they aren't easy friends to earn, but once we earned it, they have our backs no matter what.

As fiction in general goes, none of this is all that original. But, for a game like this, the writing and attention to detail is top-notch. Altogether I'm feeling very satisfied.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kafziel posted:

I'm pretty sure putting yourself directly in to the hands of the people your character's going to believe responsible is worse, because they just killed the Sultana to seize power and you're a huge loving liability they're going to want to get rid of.

Your character isn't going to believe for a moment that Teledji isn't directly involved in the act since he just happened to show up, with a bunch of soldiers, after it happened? Someone whom your character knows hates the Sultana just barges in with soldiers. Yeah he's totally someone you should turn yourself over to because you're going to get treated fairly.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty sure an unarmed MNK is still going to gently caress generic dudes up like it's nothing since your strength is still through the roof and you're basically a world-class martial artist at that point. Though the biggest out is for summoners. Oh hey I just quickcast Ifrit-egi and you're all going to loving burn (or Titan-egi and I'm escaping while it has you all distracted).

It's still a stupid-as-gently caress trope and was a low point in an otherwise awesome series of events.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The costume that keeps on giving.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Even on a monk weapon damage is about 7x more important than your mainstat and all your secondary stats are mostly useless. With no weapon damage at all, you're going to basically be useless. Sure you might take one of them down over a long enough time, but you're not going to do very well against a large group.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

holy poo poo hahhahhahahahahaha

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Hope you aren't implying 1.0 Coerthas was better because :lol:

Don't think I was even coming close to making assertions about 1.0 other than perhaps "there were no fates in 1.0"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Now I'm actually curious but not at my computer to check what the dps would be like with full 130 gear but a level 1 weapon. On monks that's a 58 to 5 drop in weapon damage. If that gives a proportional drop in damage output, a 600 dps monk would be about 50ish dps. Even if we gave a monk a bare handed weapon damage of 4, 40 dps isn't going to take out a handful of certainly level 50 brass blade elites with any sort of expediency. There's no need to question why you didn't do anything. The games mechanics wouldnt have allowed you to do anything if you wanted.

Edit: I realize this is very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nill posted:

Kinda hopeful now that she's in Ishgard for the 3.0 story she finds her talent with numbers suits her well to becoming an Astrologian... or maybe Machinist? (comedy option Tataru Dark Knight :megadeath:)

Won't happen, because those are Jobs and only powerful heroes can have Jobs instead of Classes in this economy

• Locked thread