Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Vahakyla posted:

I love this thread, but usually just lurk it. I've wantes to ask this question before, but here goes. For the constitutional lawyers in this thread, which justice would you pick for you from the Supreme Court if you had to pummel your agenda through and that justice would always align to to your politics?

In other words, which justice is the most effective if we ignore the ideological differences? Or is this is a question too complicated to answer? If so, I'll take that as an answer, too.

As it stands now, it'd be whoever is best at convincing Kennedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vahakyla posted:

I love this thread, but usually just lurk it. I've wantes to ask this question before, but here goes. For the constitutional lawyers in this thread, which justice would you pick for you from the Supreme Court if you had to pummel your agenda through and that justice would always align to to your politics?

In other words, which justice is the most effective if we ignore the ideological differences? Or is this is a question too complicated to answer? If so, I'll take that as an answer, too.

I think "agenda" is too broad to really effectively answer your question. Plus, there are other complexities to consider. For example, as a prosecutor my "agenda" should theoretically be to make sure convictions are affirmed. However, I consistently agree with Scalia's 4th Amendment opinions which are largely pro-defendant...because even though I prefer people be convicted for crimes they commit, I also don't think it's that hard to get a goddamn warrant. For me, it really varies from case to case and issue to issue which justice I prefer.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

skaboomizzy posted:

As it stands now, it'd be whoever is best at convincing Kennedy.

So whoever would be willing to wear a Confederate-flag-pattern robe?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

ActusRhesus posted:

I think "agenda" is too broad to really effectively answer your question. Plus, there are other complexities to consider. For example, as a prosecutor my "agenda" should theoretically be to make sure convictions are affirmed. However, I consistently agree with Scalia's 4th Amendment opinions which are largely pro-defendant...because even though I prefer people be convicted for crimes they commit, I also don't think it's that hard to get a goddamn warrant. For me, it really varies from case to case and issue to issue which justice I prefer.

I think Vahakyla means you can assume that the justice will support your agenda no matter what. The question is, if you assume the person you pick will always agree with you, who would be best at convincing others to come along.

I don't know who I would pick, but I know it definitely wouldn't be Thomas. I probably also wouldn't pick Alito. I don't think I'd pick Breyer either. I don't have enough of an impression of Kagan or Sotomayor to judge how influential they might be. Roberts strikes me as a good deal maker. RBG is awesome and I assume people are convinced by her awesomeness. Scalia is probably better at landing rhetorical jabs than dragging people to his position, but he would be one I would consider (again, assuming he would magically become left-wing Scalia for me).

E: I kicked Kennedy off the Court. He's actually an obvious choice, because he is often the deciding vote. Doesn't matter if he doesn't convince anyone else if you already have 4 other votes. From that perspective, it would probably be better to just take the most reliable conservative vote and turn him into a liberal. That basically swings the court to 3-1-5 on most ideological issues.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 3, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The court denied cert in another voter ID case.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

why are so many legal blogs loving terrible

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

why are so many legal blogs loving terrible

Don't you mean "blawgs" :smuggo:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FlamingLiberal posted:

The court denied cert in another voter ID case.

Which was was the case decided at lower courts?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This was the North Carolina case.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Xenochrist posted:

Don't you mean "blawgs" :smuggo:

See this is why I keep telling politicians it should be legal to kill someone through the internet

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Rodriguez v. United States
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-9972_p8k0.pdf

quote:

Absent reasonable suspicion, police extension of a traffic stop to conduct a dog sniff violates the Constitution's shield against unreasonable seizures. A routine traffic stop is more like a brief stop under Terry v. Ohio than an arrest under Arizona v. Johnson. The duration of the delay that can be tolerated is determined by the reason for the stop -- in this case, to address the traffic violation.

So a cop can't stop you for a minor traffic violation and keep you there until the canine unit comes. Looks like Jay Z is finally in the clear.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Counterpoint: LEO can keep you stopped if there is reasonable suspicion to continue the stop to call in a dog.

edit: All this opinion said is that the LEO needs reasonable suspicion to continue the stop after the stop's initial purpose (ticketing) and typical highway safety checks (warrants, driver's license/registration) have completed.

Like, it's an important point, but ultimately a narrow one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, my sense is that reasonable suspicion is not hard to construct, now that cops will know they need to.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
^^^ Yeah, LEO can just said he "smelled weed" and BAM reasonable suspicion created to delay stop to call in a dog.

I guess the question then would be how long of a delay would be justified under the 4A in order for the dog to get to the scene.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Yes, but, correct me if I'm misremembering, but the officers only needed reasonable suspicion to search the car anyway. If they have reasonable suspicion and they want to search, they can do that without holding you for the dog.

The big tactic with the dog sniff was to threaten to hold you while the dog comes, unless you want to just consent to a search now, turning a suspicion-based search into a consensual one. If they decline, the dog alerting can give you instant suspicion that you don't really have to back up on your own.

Now, if they need the same level of suspicion to hold you for the dog as they need to just do the search in the first place, that will fix that particular problem. With that same suspicion, you can either hold for the dog, or you can just do it yourself, but neither scenario is going to get you out of having to explain what was suspicious.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 21, 2015

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
You make a good point, and I think you're correct.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

The Government’s argument, in effect, is that by completing all traffic-related tasks expeditiously, an officer can earn bonus time to pursue an unrelated criminal investigation.

It's amazing how well a single phrase like 'bonus time' can be in mocking an argument. It also appears Scalia's snark towards dissents has worn off a little on Ginsburg:

quote:

The Court of Appeals, however, did not review that determination. But see post, at 1, 10–12 (THOMAS, J., dissenting) (resolving the issue, nevermind that the Court of Appeals left it unaddressed); post, at 1–2 (ALITO, J., dissenting) (upbraiding the Court for addressing the sole issue decided by the Court of Appeals and characterizing the Court’s answer as “unnecessary” because the Court, instead, should have decided an issue the Court of Appeals did not decide).

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 21, 2015

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't Ginsburg always snarky in her dissents?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

razorrozar posted:

Wasn't Ginsburg always snarky in her dissents?

Dissents are often snarky towards the majority opinion, but rarely the other way around unless Scalia is writing them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Reading through it it seems like even if the dog were there already it can't be used unless it literally would not have added another second to the time required to issue the citation. You'd need for the officer to be riding with a partner who would perform the sniff while the first did the ticketing. Even then I wonder if you could argue that two officers working together could have finished the stop faster.

thefncrow posted:

Yes, but, correct me if I'm misremembering, but the officers only needed reasonable suspicion to search the car anyway. If they have reasonable suspicion and they want to search, they can do that without holding you for the dog.

The big tactic with the dog sniff was to threaten to hold you while the dog comes, unless you want to just consent to a search now, turning a suspicion-based search into a consensual one. If they decline, the dog alerting can give you instant suspicion that you don't really have to back up on your own.

Now, if they need the same level of suspicion to hold you for the dog as they need to just do the search in the first place, that will fix that particular problem. With that same suspicion, you can either hold for the dog, or you can just do it yourself, but neither scenario is going to get you out of having to explain what was suspicious.

They will still threaten to convince people to allow a search. An officer is allowed to lie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shifty Pony posted:

Reading through it it seems like even if the dog were there already it can't be used unless it literally would not have added another second to the time required to issue the citation. You'd need for the officer to be riding with a partner who would perform the sniff while the first did the ticketing. Even then I wonder if you could argue that two officers working together could have finished the stop faster.

They will still threaten to convince people to allow a search. An officer is allowed to lie.

Unfortunately there's probably not going to be a Miranda-style case where an officer has to inform someone that there's nothing outwardly and specifically suspicious so they're free to go once the ticket's written but they'd like consent to go fishing anyway. The cynic in me says they'd uphold the constitutionality of such coercion by affirming the driver's responsibility to know when a cop is bullshitting them under color of law.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I think it's laughable how long a traffic stop can be and still be reasonable. Thirty minutes? Twenty eight minutes? Jesus.

I've never been stopped longer than ten, and that includes a 4am stop where I took a really bad turn and the cop surely thought I was drunk. But then again, I'm a white male lawyer.

It'd be interesting to see how long the average traffic stop actually is, especially broken down racially.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think it's laughable how long a traffic stop can be and still be reasonable. Thirty minutes? Twenty eight minutes? Jesus.

I've never been stopped longer than ten, and that includes a 4am stop where I took a really bad turn and the cop surely thought I was drunk. But then again, I'm a white male lawyer.

It'd be interesting to see how long the average traffic stop actually is, especially broken down racially.

I think there's some variance expected for stuff like database queries and whatever might need to be done on the dispatch end, but yeah 15-20 at most is about as far as you can push reasonableness.

Cops aren't radioing in plates and names and DL numbers anymore, they typically have everything running on the laptop in their cruiser. If anything, the wireless service is probably the biggest legitimate delay, since it's probably Sprint.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Here's a pretty decent 2008 study from the Arizona ACLU.

quote:

C. Duration of Stops

Like the analysis of search rates and contraband seizures, a comparative analysis of stop duration allows us to understand if people of color were treated differently by DPS officers. This section of the report looks at how long motorists were detained after they were stopped by DPS officers. It is reasonable to assume that stop duration should be roughly equivalent regardless of one’s racial or ethnic identity. There should be little to no variation in stop duration across population subgroups if everyone is being treated equally.

Overall, minorities were detained for longer periods than white drivers (Table 5). For all six interstate segments studied here, African Americans and Hispanics were stopped for longer periods of time than whites. Middle Easterners, on average, were stopped for dramatically longer periods of time than whites.

DPS records stop duration in ten minute increments (i.e., 0-10 minutes, 11-20 minutes, 21-30 minutes, 31-50 minutes, and 51+ minutes). The analysis that follows assumes the midpoint for each ten minute increment. In other words, if a stop is recorded as taking between 11-20 minutes, this analysis assumes the stop was 15 minutes in length. The previous analysis in Table 2 shows that DPS officers are searching African Americans, Hispanics, Middle Easterners, and Native Americans at a disproportionate rate compared to whites. It is fair to assume that stops involving searches are longer in length than stops that do not involve a search. Including stops with searches in this duration analysis would exaggerate the findings and obscure the central question: Are people of color being treated differently by DPS officers? To avoid double-counting a bias already known to exist, the stop duration analysis provided here only involves stops that did not result in a search. This analysis of stop duration demonstrates that minorities, other than Native Americans, were consistently stopped and detained by DPS officers for longer periods of time than whites during the time frame of this study. This finding supports the overall conclusion of this analysis that racial and ethnic minorities were treated differently on Arizona interstate highways during the study period.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 21, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

:siren: Chief Justice Roberts writes something sane regarding campaign contributions :siren:

quote:

Simply put, Florida and most other States have concluded that the public may lack confidence in a judge’s ability to administer justice without fear or favor if he comes to office by asking for favors.

quote:

By any measure, Canon 7C(1) restricts a narrow slice of speech. A reader of JUSTICE KENNEDY’s dissent could be forgiven for concluding that the Court has just upheld a latter-day version of the Alien and Sedition Acts, approving “state censorship” that “locks the First Amendment out,” imposes a “gag” on candidates, and inflicts “dead weight” on a “silenced” public debate. Post, at 2–4. But in reality, Canon 7C(1) leaves judicial candidates free to discuss any issue with any person at any time. Candidates can write letters, give speeches, and put up billboards. They can contact potential supporters in person, on the phone, or online. They can promote their campaigns on radio, television, or other media. They cannot say, “Please give me money.” They can, however, direct their campaign committees to do so. Whatever else maybe said of the Canon, it is surely not a “wildly disproportionate restriction upon speech.” Post, at 1 (SCALIA, J.,dissenting).

(the opinion upheld the right of Florida to ban candidates for a judgeship from directly asking for money)

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-1499_d18e.pdf

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 29, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Of course, applying that same logic to other public servants is (for Roberts) absurd.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zeroisanumber posted:

Of course, applying that same logic to other public servants is (for Roberts) absurd.
It has never been attempted in this particular fashion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ShadowHawk posted:

It has never been attempted in this particular fashion.

There's a difference, though. Although it's merely a model set of rules, the model rules for judicial restrict judges running for office from directly soliciting for funds.

There is no such set of rules for other offices.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

:siren: Chief Justice Roberts writes something sane regarding campaign contributions :siren:

(the opinion upheld the right of Florida to ban candidates for a judgeship from directly asking for money)

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-1499_d18e.pdf

:captainpop:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Short version: judges are special because they're not supposed to represent an electorate in the first place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Basically. It's not crazy that this was upheld at all. It's almost exactly what the ABA's model rules recommend. Although those have been tossed out before, it would have been silly to do so here for that reason.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Basically. It's not crazy that this was upheld at all. It's almost exactly what the ABA's model rules recommend. Although those have been tossed out before, it would have been silly to do so here for that reason.

That set of opinions is pretty hilarious.

5 opinions, with Part II (the actual test, strict scrutiny) of the opinion of th court only joined by 4 of the judges in the majority, but then joined by the 3 dissenting judges...

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Gotta say, it's funny to hear Scalia whining about how the Supreme Court has already made up its mind about the death penalty, so states and lower courts trying to restrict access and make it legal-in-letter-only is wrong and guerilla warfare and blah blah blah.

Gee, I wonder if you'll extend the same logic to any other hot-button political issues? :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The decision was absolutely the right one. But it was not at all expected, given the gleeful gutting of the very idea of campaign finance restrictions over the past few years (and that the Supreme Court had already gutted major judicial election regulations in White). Just because the decision is completely sane doesn't mean it's not crazy that this Court actually made it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

The decision was absolutely the right one. But it was not at all expected, given the gleeful gutting of the very idea of campaign finance restrictions over the past few years (and that the Supreme Court had already gutted major judicial election regulations in White). Just because the decision is completely sane doesn't mean it's not crazy that this Court actually made it.

I do agree to an extent, but it prompted me to go digging a bit into other times that the court has said various model ABA rules are unconstitutional, and almost all the ones I found were specifically about lawyers advertising. Even then there was a lot of hemming and hawing over what was and wasn't ethically appropriate. It's nice to see that the majority is able to keep their heads out of their rear end about this.

Its funny this case came down because I had a PR test yesterday and a couple of the questions covered this exact type of thing.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Do we know when they're handing down the gay marriage decision yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do we know when they're handing down the gay marriage decision yet?

June most likely.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I assume both the gay marriage and Obamacare decisions will be released on the absolute last day(s) possible. When would that be?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Slate Action posted:

I assume both the gay marriage and Obamacare decisions will be released on the absolute last day(s) possible. When would that be?

Opinions are usually on Monday and Wednesday, so June 24th or June 29th, depending on how long they stretch the session out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So why aren't cameras allowed into the courtroom? Are there reasons that make sense about why the court is so secretive?