Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I might tack something together as a temporary solution and just see how hot my laptop can get before it starts throttling. Planning on picking up iRacing, Assetto Corsa and now Dirt3:argh:

Grom chat: they are fun, we 'raced' them around a track and it was the stupidest best fun I've had at the track in a while.

Haha, my dad and I took both Groms to a track day at USAIR in Shawano last summer, stock tires and suspension got sketchy really quick. Can't say I've ever out-ridden a bikes capabilities before. I almost highsided one of them coming out of a low-speed corner. Put a dent in the new M4 exhaust with my heel when it tried bucking me off :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

I've started looking for a new job because I can't stand working for my parents any longer. I came across an ad for a diesel mechanic for Canadian Pacific, working on diesel locomotives and I'm thinking about applying for it. From what the ad says I could probably enter as a trainee, and work my way up from there. Working on trains sound super loving cool to me, but apart from that I know next to nothing about the locomotive industry. Any AI goons have high praise (or warnings)?

[edit] Apart from the diesel mechanic certifications, I may be way over qualified for this job.

They train you, all you need to know is do as you are told and work safely. You may be way over qualified but its simple work and its going to involve shifts nights/weekends/etc. But the money can't be beat!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

All the good television shows are hitting their peak marks right now and in my mind I get a little disappointed because that means season finales are around the corner followed by painful waiting. What a day to be alive when most TV shows are so much more engaging than anything to be put on the big screen :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

All the good television shows are hitting their peak marks right now and in my mind I get a little disappointed because that means season finales are around the corner followed by painful waiting. What a day to be alive when most TV shows are so much more engaging than anything to be put on the big screen :allears:

At least Mad Men starts soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh. loving food poisoning. My rear end is a geyser.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. loving food poisoning. My rear end is a geyser.

Pretty sweet avatar you've got there, dude.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Motherfucking Verizon finally claimed my grandfathered unlimited 4G data plan because I smashed my phone and activated another one to use as an emergency phone while getting mine repaired. They've been trying to convince me to switch from my plan to their bullshit 5 gig a month for as long as I can remember, but once they started hassling me about data useage I switched into full cell data stress test mode. I did manage to look up how much wireless data I used in the last year out of curiousity.

637GB :radcat:

E: hahahaha wait it was for this year alone since jan 1

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 3, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, PCDMIS for CMM's v2013mr1sp7 is a total piece of poo poo and dropped the ability to do adaptive cylinder scans. Ended up having to install v2014.1 and the bossman says it seems to work with some gage cylinder programs I wrote. E-Beam weld seems to be a clusterfuck today too because one of the fixtures seems to have become magnetized and it's pushing the beam around in really wierd ways. We're all on 40 hour weeks too :shepface: I have no idea how I'm going to run both the CMM's and the E-Beam welding machine at the same time. I wish I got paid more. I'm so happy for a 4 day weekend.

E: Hopefully my install of a new robbins top on my NC goes okay this weekend. I plan on making a howto, any tips on where to host/post such a thing?
E2: At least I get to bring an old bike to work that I've shelled the bottom bracket from to work and I can e-beam a sleeve into the bottom bracket. We weld some weatherford collars 2.5+ inches deep on inconel to re-do some API pin-ends. I wish I could post pics, because I think ultimateforce could use a run for his money on some welding. Mine gets done at 10-6 torr all day long. My welder is $2.6MM :smuggo:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 3, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Probably a dumb question, but is there a concise build guide for R32 GT-Rs? Curious how "inexpensive" you could turn one into an all around great car.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

jeeeeeeesus fuuuuuuucking chriiiiiist

I spend all day dealing with dipshit loving ops people who think returning stale IPs in a DNS record isn't a problem and passive aggressive dipshit coworkers who scoff at using the dev environment bullshit I set up for them. I take off early to go to a local BMW meetup and while I'm there my dad calls me wanting to meet up at the bar at 8PM to go over some mail he got. Okay cool, whatever, I'll pop out of here early and meet up.

I show up a little past 8. Nobody. 8:15, nothing. 8:30, still nothing. I call his house and he picks up.

"Uh hey, I thought we were meeting at 8PM?"

"What?"

"You called me and wanted to meet up at the bar to go over some mail you got."

"I called you? When?"

"LIKE TWO HOURS AGO."

"I don't remember that."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuck okay FINE. I finish eating and then drive over to his place to go over this mail. Oh, while I'm there I need the paper that I printed out for him w/ his confirmation # for the social security benefits application I helped him with a few months ago.

HE LOST IT. I sent him home with a bunch of papers and he has ALL OF THEM except THE ONE loving PIECE OF PAPER I ACTUALLY NEED TO LOOK UP THE STATUS OF HIS APPLICATION.

I'm about to pop a loving gasket.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

On the plus side

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Aaaaaaaaaand my ex just smashed my roommate's back-up bong. The same roommie whose bong I broke a couple weeks ago. He was so mad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

And I thought my ~20gb/month was a bit. :stare:

Though I rarely tether; that's honest phone usage, and not counting wifi use. Netflix kinda hammers it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand my ex just smashed my roommate's back-up bong. The same roommie whose bong I broke a couple weeks ago. He was so mad.

:rip:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

there's a joke in there about rippin bongs and suckin schlongs but idk how it goes

it's funny though and then everyone stands up and claps

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I never got the appeal of Netflix on my phone. TV, computer, and even maybe tablet if I'm feeling super lazy, but the phone screen is too small and battery life is too short.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crime Mob posted:

See me I ain't nothin nice
And crime mob it ain't no stoppin'
They be like Sadaam Husein, Hitler and Osama Bin Laden
Like they steady gum poppin
And I am actin a fool
I wish a hater would get crunk up on this crime mob crew
Now enough is enough boy
Rough and get stuffed boy
Luck is a must boy
Knuck if buck boy

Forever I love Atlanta. Goondolences on the bong.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Just sat down in the theater waiting for Furious 7 to start. I can still remember when the first one debuted the weekend of my 21st birthday.

It appears that many of the same idiots that were in the theater back then are here now. :shepicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

I never got the appeal of Netflix on my phone. TV, computer, and even maybe tablet if I'm feeling super lazy, but the phone screen is too small and battery life is too short.

I often throw Netflix on the phone during breaks at work, and also while trying to fall asleep. I have the world's worst insomnia, and basically need something going for background noise and light - my room also gets insanely hot if I leave the TV + AV receiver on for more than a couple of hours too. It's generally on the charger + wifi when I'm trying to fall asleep at home, but anytime I sleep elsewhere (including in the car) I'll be on LTE or HSPA (and charger, of course).

I'll throw on some kind of documentary when I'm trying to get to sleep. If I don't, every tiny little noise wakes me up, including a car driving past the house.

My tablet doesn't have enough oomph to run Netflix these days :smith: - it's an original Kindle Fire. I pretty much use it only as an alarm clock now.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

kastein posted:

I am pretty sure no one actually uses those as plug non foulers anymore, but as long as they keep calling them that, the EPA won't stop them from being sold :v:

I got a snicker from the guy at the parts counter buying a pack of non-foulers and an O2 sensor wrench at the same time.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Christ, STR. Is your TV a laser array? I fall asleep with my DLP projector on all the time and don't have temperature issues.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Real rap, FF7 was awesome

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

Motherfucking Verizon finally claimed my grandfathered unlimited 4G data plan because I smashed my phone and activated another one to use as an emergency phone while getting mine repaired. They've been trying to convince me to switch from my plan to their bullshit 5 gig a month for as long as I can remember, but once they started hassling me about data useage I switched into full cell data stress test mode. I did manage to look up how much wireless data I used in the last year out of curiousity.

I'm at 12.3gb for just this month. Shoutouts to SERO unlimited data

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SuperDucky posted:

Christ, STR. Is your TV a laser array? I fall asleep with my DLP projector on all the time and don't have temperature issues.

Don't I wish.

It's an older (~2007) 32" LCD with power supply issues. My bedroom door is pretty much always closed, which chokes off air circulation a bit. The TV also goes into "gently caress you" mode occasionally and goes blank (backlight still on) and gets hot enough to give that lovely "is that magic smoke?" smell, and won't turn off until you unplug it.

I'll replace it... eventually. :supaburn:

Nodoze posted:

I'm at 12.3gb for just this month. Shoutouts to SERO unlimited data

SERO is still a thing? :stare:

I gave up on Sprint when they still hadn't rolled out LTE 2 years after they were supposed to here (and customer service kept telling me LTE was live in my neighborhood, yet I couldn't get above 3G until I drove 3 miles away). Irony being the bitch that it is, I saw LTE on my phone the day before the service was shut off, but I could only hit about 3mbit on it. I generally hit at least 50mbit while outside (I've hit over 100mbit several times, twice while inside an apartment), and usually at least 20 while inside. I get ~70mbit at work, ~20mbit at home.

Shoutouts to T-Mobile for unlimited data. :v: (though I probably pay a bit more than a grandfathered SERO plan - $70/mo after taxes).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 3, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

blk posted:

So I've had my NA MIata one month shy of a year[...]
Have you gotten a second opinion? If you have the time and space, you can conquer anything on a Miata with a basic tool set and the internet. Also I replaced all the AC bits and o rings on my 95 and had a shop vac and fill and it blew colder than ever for the next 2 years that I owned it.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Probably a dumb question, but is there a concise build guide for R32 GT-Rs? Curious how "inexpensive" you could turn one into an all around great car.
The running gear is all about the oil pooling issues, oil drive crank gear breaking and ceramic turbos exploding. Fix that and it's solid.

There's pretty much no fixing the 90s Japanese interior though... After your murci it might be too much to get over.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

cattes :3:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Stone OG Barleywine

I've cut back a lot on my boozing this year. I've had about 2/3 of the bottle and I'm buzzed. Also really getting psyched about the upcoming kid. Found out last week that it's a boy!! My mom already said she wants to buy him a Power Wheels. :D

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 210 days!)

Does anyone have a good resource/forum for PTSD sufferers? I had a massively bad relapse today, when thought I was finally doing better. No support group exists locally- unless I want to start one.

Again, sorry for being a dick to many of you. I have no excuse for much of how I have acted when it wasn't just drug induced dumbassery, and even then.. I have no intention of making GBS threads up the place.

I would appreciate a pointer- if anyone knows. PMs or email to saviggen at gmails to keep it iff the forums is just fine with me. Thanks.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im suck in internet limbo at the moment... We're in a new greenfields estate, and with the NBN announced, were getting Fibre to the Premises internet. Except they havent finished building it yet... I have fibre running past me in the street, but theres no fibre to the supernode exchange in Hahndorf... which is 20km or so away. And they have to trench and lay conduit the entire distance. The local exchange has a fibre connection to the outside world, but its not big enough to stick the FTTP gear in there with all the existing copper switchgear too.

The bullshit thing is that I dont even have the old copper network to fall back onto. Because this development is scheduled for fibre hookup within 5 years, Telstra has said "Well we're not dumping copper in" because its pointless and a cost they dont want to fork out for. So im stuck on 3G wireless internet (no 4G here yet) and because ive been told "It could be in May" by the time they get the fibre hooked up, I dont want to go onto a 24 month contract, so its prepaid only.

At $50/4GB of data... Australian mobile data rates SUCK RANCID DONKEY ARSE.

On a positive note, im actually living in my new house now!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ferremit posted:

At $50/4GB of data... Australian mobile data rates SUCK RANCID DONKEY ARSE.

On a positive note, im actually living in my new house now!

Its 70 for 2gb in america with Verizon, with 10 bucks per gig after that. I have a grandfathered plan that's 60 for 2gb. :jerkbag:

I rarely use that much though. I'm usually on wifi.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Great Beer posted:

Its 70 for 2gb in america with Verizon, with 10 bucks per gig after that. I have a grandfathered plan that's 60 for 2gb. :jerkbag:

Cricket is making big strides to be a player since ATT bought them. 4 lines, 2.5gb each (not pooled, sadly), $100 per month all-in. Can't really beat it. Even 1 line is $35.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love my podunk little cellphone service provider, Ntelos. I've been with them for about 10 years and they've never tried to jerk me around with bullshit. My unlimited data plan truly is unlimited, though the most I've used in a month is maybe 32gb. I think my part of the bill is around $70 a month, and their nationwide coverage area is very slightly better than Verizon's, at least when you compare their maps.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My verizon bill is $40/month for 10gb and I get an upgrade every 10 months for $100 off the list price of the phone.

I'm going to miss this plan when I leave my current job :( At least it'll set me up to be able to sell my old one and buy the unlocked ones to use :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Great Beer posted:

Telstra charges 3c per meg after you go over your cap if your on a plan, nothing like $30/gig to make you cry when your bill comes in. Fortunately im on prepaid for this, so if i blow through my cap it just stops working. Hurry the gently caress up Fibre, $120 a month for unlimited 100/40mbit!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Bloody hell. I pay 」15/month for unlimited. I used to watch tv all lunchtime on it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I take my tablet to the gym so I can watch TV while I am on the treadmill.

Anyway, my uncle applied for citizenship nearly 15 years ago and yesterday we got the letter saying that his visa has been approved. :hfive:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mariooncrack posted:

I take my tablet to the gym so I can watch TV while I am on the treadmill.

This is seriously the only way to live.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I dunno, Im sitting in my new house, on my to me, free, Laz-y-boy recliner drinking scotch listening to Dark Side of the Moon on a good Hifi with the entire house to myself cos the missus is off in Canberra visiting family and this is pretty awesome.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone here listen to the Harmontown podcast?

It's made by Dan Harmon, the brains behind Community and Rick & Morty. I watched a documentary about the podcast on Netflix a couple days ago and got hooked. It's one of those unscripted, straight from the heart shows and I personally think it's great.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

West SAAB Story posted:

Does anyone have a good resource/forum for PTSD sufferers? I had a massively bad relapse today, when thought I was finally doing better. No support group exists locally- unless I want to start one.

Again, sorry for being a dick to many of you. I have no excuse for much of how I have acted when it wasn't just drug induced dumbassery, and even then.. I have no intention of making GBS threads up the place.

I would appreciate a pointer- if anyone knows. PMs or email to saviggen at gmails to keep it iff the forums is just fine with me. Thanks.

This isn't getting enough love. I wish I had some resources to help out. Big step is acknowledging the problem. Hope you can get some help man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

This isn''t a late april fools post, I found out today one of my exes from California is about a half hour drive away from me on a trip :stare: I havent talked to her in two years, she's the girl I proposed to when driving Lowered Expectations who wound up banging a half dozen of my friends. Looked her up on facebook and discovered in the past couple years she either discovered One Wierd Trick that Dieticians Hate, or has been hitting the glass dick for god knows how long. She looked absolutely wrecked. And yet, somehow, way, way hotter than she's ever been. So I've been spending the day contemplating why my dick has decided that skinny batshit crazy tweakers with dead hollow eyes are totally its thing. Like there is a direct proportional relationship between how broken somebody is and the level of desire I feel for that person. The closest I can describe the feeling is that brain is trying to talk to his coworker dick, saying 'Hey man, this doesnt look so hot so why don't we sit this one out okay?' And what brain doesnt realise is that dick stopped taking his pills like two weeks ago and has just entered the Messiah phase of full blown mania and is entirely too busy planning out to the exact second when he's going to need to tuck and roll out of the burning helicopter that happens to be on a collision course with the local nuclear power plant.

Im so with you on this is incredible. Stick my dick in crazy cause obviously im going to, and then sit in bed alone drinking a high gravity 40oz wondering where it all went wrong.

• Locked thread