Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Away all Goats posted:

When you increase the difficulty setting in NBA2k15 it doesn't just make opposing teams better, it also makes your team worse. How the gently caress do you miss a wide open shot just 10 feet from the basket :argh:

I see they're courting the John Bois crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

JebanyPedal posted:

Sacrifice is in my top 5 favorite games. Brilliant game. Fantastic, unfortunately dead multi.
Too bad late-game and the later single player missions are nigh uncontrollable clusterfucks.

Such a charming game, but yes, very difficult to control beyond a few units/unit types. I liked abusing the gibbing mechanic and winning by attrition, because I was not nearly as good at controlling my creatures AND my wizard as the AI was.

Intestinal Vaporization :3:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The GTA V online mode is really only playable if you've got friends online right now. Playing online with other players and no friends is the worst. Can't do anything without some jerkoff going for your throat. Its real buggy and full of hacked accounts. The other day some 8 year old middle eastern kid kept poo poo talking despite me having my mic set to friends only. If I played this game in high school I would have showed up to school with a real gun and used it by now.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

amityville anus posted:

If I played this game in high school I would have showed up to school with a real gun and used it by now.

haha what the gently caress

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hey, Pillars of Eternity, you're pretty fun so far, but maybe don't put a surprise mini-boss fight with a fairly steep spike in difficulty right after a very long and drawn-out dialogue phase with no chance to save inbetween.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Che Delilas posted:

Such a charming game, but yes, very difficult to control beyond a few units/unit types. I liked abusing the gibbing mechanic and winning by attrition, because I was not nearly as good at controlling my creatures AND my wizard as the AI was.

Intestinal Vaporization :3:

I think this is how you're supposed to play it, I played that game to death but goddamn was it hard without spells that either remove units from play permanently (like James' mole), instantly convert them, or gib them. Killing just isn't enough.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm playing Beast Boxing Turbo. It's fun, but every single time you lose, it prompts you to lower the difficulty. And then when you get to the top league, it prompts you even if you win. It's annoying on its own, but what's worse is that I was trying to click past it really quickly, and I switched to "Easy" before the final fight on accident. I don't really care about the achievements, but if I want the one for beating it on normal, I have to go through all the fighters again. Super annoying.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

amityville anus posted:

The GTA V online mode is really only playable if you've got friends online right now. Playing online with other players and no friends is the worst. Can't do anything without some jerkoff going for your throat. Its real buggy and full of hacked accounts. The other day some 8 year old middle eastern kid kept poo poo talking despite me having my mic set to friends only. If I played this game in high school I would have showed up to school with a real gun and used it by now.

Join LLJK and goons mostly won't shoot you on sight. The other day I logged on and joined 2 other goons killing this kid who kept complaining loudly over the mic, all without us talking to each other. We just gradually drifted towards the sound of a whiny kid and wouldn't relent until he shut up or logged off, whichever came first.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Kimmalah posted:

"You had trouble with that boss? Heh, it was no problem for me maybe you just suck." :smuggo: I don't even bother to ask questions about the Souls games anymore if I can possibly help it because of how many answers were just people rushing in to brag about how good they were/how easy it was/git gud etc.instead of giving any relevant advice.

So whether you like Souls games or not is of no concern at all to me. I freely admit to anyone that you have to be just the right sort of stubborn rear end in a top hat to enjoy them.

But I'm curious: where were you asking for advice? The last 6-7 pages in the DS1 thread have been nothing BUT us veteran players offering really helpful advice to a player who is new to the game, so I will assume that you weren't asking on these forums. When I started playing, goons were nothing but helpful and even let me summon them into the game to help out with a boss I was really stuck on.

So I am sorry your experience was bad. I hope it wasn't here, tho. I prefer gaming with goons by FAR over pubbies.

As for DS PvP being essentially the same as griefing....ehhh....that's a matter of opinion, really. If you don't learn quickly that A - dying rarely matters at ALL, and B - see everything as a new challenge, then I guess it could feel like griefing. I hated getting invaded when I first started, now I'm disappointed if it doesn't happen at least once when I am in the hot PvP areas of the game. Yes there are cheaters (mostly on PC) who use infinite health hacks and things. Your best option there is to annoy them as much as possible, or just jump off a cliff so they get no joy out of it.

Or you know...just play offline.

99% of the complaints I see with the Souls games are from people who refuse to learn the game and get frustrated that the game doesn't act like THEY think it should. It's really weird, because that's like playing Tetris and complaining there aren't exploding blocks or something.

I read a Bloodborne review yesterday and the reviewer was complaining that 12 hours in, he had JUST beaten the first boss, and after claiming to love "exploring and finding things on my own" complained that the run from the checkpoint to the boss was too long and too grindy having to go through all the enemies again, apparently because Captain Explorationpants missed a shortcut that makes it take literally 20 seconds and doesn't require you to fight a single enemy.

In HIS case I would either suggest that he try a different game, or that perhaps maybe he should git gud. :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HaB posted:

But I'm curious: where were you asking for advice? The last 6-7 pages in the DS1 thread have been nothing BUT us veteran players offering really helpful advice to a player who is new to the game, so I will assume that you weren't asking on these forums. When I started playing, goons were nothing but helpful and even let me summon them into the game to help out with a boss I was really stuck on.

I've never noticed people being unwilling to give tips, but what does happen all the time is people dogpiling anyone who complains about the games. Lots of people seem happy to offer help with a difficult thing, but the instant someone says the thing is too difficult or unfun or whatever, they get jumped by turbo nerds desperate to defend Miyazaki-chan's honor because the souls games are what all media should aspire to be and couldn't possibly have any flaws whatsoever. That's where I see most of the git gudders show up, because it's never a problem with the game, it's just your fault for being bad.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've never noticed people being unwilling to give tips, but what does happen all the time is people dogpiling anyone who complains about the games. Lots of people seem happy to offer help with a difficult thing, but the instant someone says the thing is too difficult or unfun or whatever, they get jumped by turbo nerds desperate to defend Miyazaki-chan's honor because the souls games are what all media should aspire to be and couldn't possibly have any flaws whatsoever. That's where I see most of the git gudders show up, because it's never a problem with the game, it's just your fault for being bad.

I dunno sometimes people complain about things which are actually good because they aren't good enough to do it right. Sometimes there's things that are absolutely bullshit if not in the difficulty sense then at least in the "the developers where smoking crack while making this part who would think this is fun?" sense. Dark Souls as a series has a liberal amount of both things and there's a shitload of "well no you're actually wrong you should do this..." followed by "GOD THIS COMMUNITY IS SO TOXIC THEY GIVE ME ADVICE LIKE LEARN TO ACTUALLY loving ROLL OUT OF THE WAY INSTEAD OF TEACHING ME TO BE OVERPOWERED I AM OFFENDED AND ANGRY THAT ANYONE WOULD SUGGEST I PRACTICE THE BASIC SKILLS THE GAME WANTS ME TO USE TO DEFEAT THINGS"

The times that it's not this and it's closer to your version always comes from the same two or three people and that's like holding every German individually and personally responsible for Hitler.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been replaying New Vegas and I got to, well, New Vegas without the cash to pass the check to get in to the city proper, so I start playing Blackjack since I have a luck of 10 and it starts to adjust things in your favor (but not really based on how I broke even) and it's faster then sitting through the million load screens around New Vegas to get in the other way. Anyway, my 21 lost to a 24. That's uh, that's real special, Obsidian. :thumbsup:

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Mar 30, 2015

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I've also had the slot machines stiff me on winning spins. But then I've also had them give me winnings on what should be losing spins. I was never sure if the game was broken or if it was supposed to be in world that the slot machines were not completely reliable.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I was kind of miffed that I couldn't change my character's skin color in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Also -- and this probably says more about me than the game -- I feel like it might be nice to have some sort of warning when I'm about to send unarmed characters out on the battlefield. :saddowns:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been replaying New Vegas and I got to, well, New Vegas without the cash to pass the check to get in to the city proper

I'm faintly suprised to find thats even possible to be honest. Its probably because in fallout type games I'm an inveterate packrat with sidequest OCD, but I always thought it was something letting down NV slightly; They put so much effort into giving you options to get into the city of NV (cash, robotics check, get a passport from the kings, take the monorail from the NCR camp and possibly one other I'm forgetting) but 99% of players will never see any of them because the cash amount is set so low you can just pay it and move on. Worst case you sell some of the 2 tonnes of vendor trash you have been accumulating then pay it. I've played that game through at least 3 times and the only times I've not paid it was because I decided I wanted to see some of that other material rather than because I couldnt pay it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
In Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, I keep killing and driving off all of these monsters that the Ace Hunters can't manage to deal with, but everyone in the game still treats me like I'm their scrub errand boy. I thought this would change after I hit high rank, but it's actually gotten worse about it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Perestroika posted:

Hey, Pillars of Eternity, you're pretty fun so far, but maybe don't put a surprise mini-boss fight with a fairly steep spike in difficulty right after a very long and drawn-out dialogue phase with no chance to save inbetween.

If this is the 'miniboss' in Caed Nua when you first get there then yeah, I agree.
Long, drawn out conversation full of story stuff and a direction on where to go next in the game. Then suddenly haha boss fight out of nowhere, with two minions, no save for you (not even when it would have made sense, to trigger after you try to leave the room). And he's not an exceptionally hard boss but the AoE spell or whatever he has that he casts can be pretty rough and can easily wipe your squishies.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Binary Domain's voice recognition gimmick works about 30% of the time, and loving up some of the voice prompts can lower your teammates' trust levels, but this is a minor detail because their trust levels will skyrocket if you are good at shooting robots, and you can turn off the mic and use button inputs instead. Annoying, but not game-breaking.

No, the game-breaking part is the QTE that dealt with me changing my keybindings by breaking the prompt. The prompt doesn't show anything except two keys with the sideways [ and a curved arrow above it. Usually that sideways [ denotes the space bar, but space doesn't do anything, nor do any of the other keys the game uses. Nothing works.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SiKboy posted:

I'm faintly suprised to find thats even possible to be honest. Its probably because in fallout type games I'm an inveterate packrat with sidequest OCD, but I always thought it was something letting down NV slightly; They put so much effort into giving you options to get into the city of NV (cash, robotics check, get a passport from the kings, take the monorail from the NCR camp and possibly one other I'm forgetting) but 99% of players will never see any of them because the cash amount is set so low you can just pay it and move on. Worst case you sell some of the 2 tonnes of vendor trash you have been accumulating then pay it. I've played that game through at least 3 times and the only times I've not paid it was because I decided I wanted to see some of that other material rather than because I couldnt pay it.

you can also just get a forged pass from Mick & Ralph's

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SiKboy posted:

Yeah I would usually have been rolling in dough but I've been doing a gimmick run where I don't loot the dead except for quest items to mix it up a bit. Only whatever I find in the environment (and even then I really can't be bothered to loot all the vendor trash). I'm Accepted by the NCR so I could have gone to the camp, but I didn't feel like walking. I got the cash through gambling soon enough I just thought it was funny that Obsidian managed to gently caress up the rules of Blackjack that badly.

I've been playing with 1 str and 1 endurance too and focusing on speech, barter, stealth, and guns, which was a huge mistake because I forgot NV added in strength requirements. Also every time I play I forget just how tedious and annoying New Vegas is. The Mojave is much more fun.

quote:

you can also just get a forged pass from Mick & Ralph's

You can't do that without doing the Kings' quest chain as far as I know.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Mar 31, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I recently got Valkyria Chronicles and while it's way better than a strategy game about teenagers fighting in Anime WWII has any right being one annoying design oversight is that when you're placing your units before a battle it doesn't show the placement of enemy units until you actually start the level, which means half the time you'll go to the trouble of placing your units only to have to immediately restart when you see what the actual level is like. While I appreciate the game's use of a minimalistic overhead 2d map it would be nice to do an actual flythrough of the level beforehand so you know when a rock formation is going to get in the way of your snipers or that the enemy tanks are closer to one camp than another.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Inco posted:

Binary Domain's voice recognition gimmick works about 30% of the time, and loving up some of the voice prompts can lower your teammates' trust levels, but this is a minor detail because their trust levels will skyrocket if you are good at shooting robots, and you can turn off the mic and use button inputs instead. Annoying, but not game-breaking.

No, the game-breaking part is the QTE that dealt with me changing my keybindings by breaking the prompt. The prompt doesn't show anything except two keys with the sideways [ and a curved arrow above it. Usually that sideways [ denotes the space bar, but space doesn't do anything, nor do any of the other keys the game uses. Nothing works.

Haha yeah, that's Binary Domain!

BD is a poo poo game that just happens to have some of the most satisfying robot shooting mechanics on the market.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Console sales are loving pathetic. Here's 5 bucks off a game that's still inexplicably 50 dollars months after release. There's no point to buying things on the store unless it's something that's immediately being released and you can preload it to play it as soon as possible.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

JebanyPedal posted:

Console[...]s are loving pathetic.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

please do not insult my good friend the Wii U from Nintendo

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

kazil posted:

Haha yeah, that's Binary Domain!

BD is a poo poo game that just happens to have some of the most satisfying robot shooting mechanics on the market.

i think you mean awesome story that just happens to have a great game as well

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BD's PC port is horrendous.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

dataisplural posted:

i think you mean awesome story that just happens to have a great game as well

This is how Binary Domain's voice system would interpret what I said, yes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JebanyPedal posted:

BD's PC port is horrendous.

I didn't have any problems with the PC version. What's wrong with it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

kazil posted:

This is how Binary Domain's voice system would interpret what I said, yes.

Like a Magic 8-ball, Binary Domain's voice recognition works in very mysterious ways. It does have some cool stuff deep down beneath layers of code, for example: If you ask some characters (Faye, Cain and Charlie) their birthday, they'll tell you their voice actor's corresponding one.

If you go into the voice recognition test in the options you can get some info on some of the devs who worked on the game by asking certain questions. Sort of like Snatcher and its database.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't have any problems with the PC version. What's wrong with it?

What, you mean like giving undefined QTE prompts and having awful mouse acceleration that you can't turn off?

I still haven't figured out what buttons the game wants me to press.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Inco posted:

What, you mean like giving undefined QTE prompts and having awful mouse acceleration that you can't turn off?

Have you checked your bindings? I've never had either of those issues.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inco posted:

Oh, I played with a controller.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

With console ports (especially 3rd person games) I just use a controller and that usually solves all problems. Trying to use a keyboard is a losing proposition.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, I played with a controller.

I also used a controller and it was terrible. The first couple of times I launched the game with an X360 controller, the default bindings were absolutely bizarre. Look up/down were bound to Start/Back, I think shoot was bound to Y, etc.

The story in Binary Domain is beyond stupid but the robot shootin' is so satisfying it's hard to really complain.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The first few chapters of The Evil Within on PS4 run like dogshit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Tomb Raider: Underworld

It loving sucks?

I dunno what is wrong with this nonsense game. I am playing through the trilogy Legend/Anniversary/Underworld, and while Legend was clunky and had the most insanely terrible and literally impossible (on Hard) motorbike level, it was a good start with a fresh engine and was genuinely really fun in a lot of places. Then Anniversary was really good and fun and cool and sleek and I was loving STOKED for Underworld. Which has a wonderful, beautiful, impressive and bold first underwater level...

And then it stops being a good game. The puzzles are really boring, the level design is atrocious, the combat system is completely broken, the enemies are stupid (HOLY poo poo

SPIDERS

NO

IN EVERY LEVEL

they die in one hit so it's a complete and absolute nonissue but I am at like the 5th level and there is still SPIDERS HOLY drat with music cues and everything?!?!?!)

and the climbing/jumping/everything is terrible, like, what happened? Lara now has a walljump that works on just some random walls and some it doesn't, but I keep getting stuck on things because she jumps at them, not on them, and bounces off all physics-defying, mind-boggling, it's hilarious? It feels completely off and things happen at random, Anniversary was super tight, what is going on?

The game is glitchy beyond belief! Putting weights on floor switches, a common puzzle because Underworld does not have very creative puzzle design guys, is an exercise in frustration and merriment because the weights are programmed as soap cubes with severe bulimia, they slide effortlessly over the floor away from Lara, the pressure plate, reality.

I have just tried jumping to a column and Lara teleports twenty meters below and in front, pulls her self up a ledge someplace completely different, goes in her idle stance like

what

you have a problem with that

yes lara i do

something is not working out between us

YES IT IS YOU NOT ME

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Simon, you're drunk again. Sleep it off.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Simply Simon posted:

Tomb Raider: Underworld

The newest Tomb Raider and Anniversary are really the only Tomb Raiders I would recommend to anyone.

(And Anniversary only until that final, bullshit level)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

kazil posted:

The newest Tomb Raider and Anniversary are really the only Tomb Raiders I would recommend to anyone.

(And Anniversary only until that final, bullshit level)

The reboot was kinda bad when it came to the puzzles as well, mostly because there aren't that many of them and the game puts it's focus on combat instead, which IMO they failed to make interesting enough. I kinda wish someone would make a tomb raider-ish game focused on just the puzzles and platforming, with none of the boring combat in it.