Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

QuarkJets posted:

"Hey guys, I'm just going to ignore all of these absolutely crushing rebuttals to my half-baked arguments, hope that's cool"

There wasn't an intelligent rebuttal in there. Seriously. And even I have limits for repeating inane economic realities. Feel free to re-ask anything so we can waste our time reading it a second time.

quote:

Yes, of course there is demand for things that no one has created yet. No one disagrees with that. That's kind of obvious, really, but at no point did any of your arguments even come close to suggesting this.

That said, the existence of "latent demand" does not make hiring labor comparable to buying gasoline, so your arguments are still just as stupid as they were before

I agree. Part of what's made the recent posting inane is that my notion of infinite demand is the exact thing that you're stating "no one disagrees with". Which is obviously true.

quote:

You're using the "government budgets should be run like household budgets" fallacy except applied to businesses. Furthermore, when my income rises I tend to throw the extra bit into a mutual fund like a loving adult, what is wrong with you?

Apple is sitting on cash reserves of 178 billion dollars. Your argument is that they should be hiring fucktons of people to be janitors and poo poo. That's insane and frankly it's kind of shocking that you can't understand how insane it is.

Well lets be clear. First that's one year of revenue for what it's worth. Second, Apple is an outlier in saving that much. But that said, it's absolutely true that excessive savings in general could unbalance the financial system. We both know economic history - crisis do happen, but so does overall long term growth. That means that generally businesses use money to expand. If they didn't, we'd still be at pre-industrial economic levels.

Janitors are somewhat separate. With janitors there is still a cost/benefit equation which the cash savings doesn't necessarily change. But wages do.

VitalSigns posted:

Then whether it is true that you would consume more if you had more money/things were cheaper does not mean that someone who is already insanely wealthy will do the same. You can't just generalize from your self to "the rich" or "business"

I thought businesses always consume all their extra cash. Now you're telling me that instead of investing money into new production like supply-side economics says, Apple is just moving it around to other rich people?

Actually, data clearly indicates they do spend additional earnings. Just at a lower rate than poor people.

Apple hoarding money is the opposite of them giving it to rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, he doesnt' really follow along. He more copy pastes applicable arguments that sometimes match up.

At least ASDF's brand crazy is 100% original.

Though they both share the opinion that saying they are right counts as a rebuttal, so there is that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Apple hoarding money is the opposite of them giving it to rich people.

Okay so now what you are saying is that if shareholders are able to cut wages by 50%, they will pocket the difference instead of investing it in hiring more labor and building more factories.

Yes, this is how it works.

You realize Apple is owned by the shareholders right? That's what a stock share is: a share of ownership. The difference between money sitting in Apple's bank account and money sitting in the majority shareholders' bank accounts is not meaningful.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 3, 2015

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I seriously long for the return of jrod.

zxcv54, where did you get your economics education? It was a minor you didn't pay much attention to, yes?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sounds like Peter Schiff's radio show at this point.

asdf32 posted:

There wasn't an intelligent rebuttal in there. Seriously. And even I have limits for repeating inane economic realities. Feel free to re-ask anything so we can waste our time reading it a second time.

I agree that repeating anything would be a waste of time, since anytime you have no answer to a rebuttal you just say "Oh I don't want to talk about that" or "No you can't use that it's not fair" or "I've already asserted the opposite"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 3, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

asdf32 posted:

Good description of what would happen if employers got what they wanted in terms of wages. So it's a good thing we have a market to drive wages up instead!

We don't. That's the point. We have had for at least the last century and for the foreseeable future an over abundance of unskilled labour. Outside of specific situations like resource boomtowns, there is no upward pressure on labour markets, only down.

The minimum wage policies in place helped address this, but lack of legislation to mandate increases to match inflation have seen effective base wages decrease. This, combined with the recession of 2008 and various unsavory practices like unpaid internships, has erode the consumer purchasing power of the US and many Western Nations to the point where it is cutting into business sales.

This pattern was observed several times during industrial Britain. It is bad. For everyone.

I mean, gently caress, guys, I was pretty clear wasn't I?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I mean, gently caress, guys, I was pretty clear wasn't I?

Doesn't matter; if I agreed with you that might lead to a poor person not starving to death and we can't have that.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Series DD Funding posted:

Because of repatriation taxes.

Once again Series DD Funding makes stellar contributions to a thread. Do you agree with asdf32's premise, that companies expand their spending to use up all available capital? Or are you just talking out of your rear end as usual.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

The difference between money sitting in Apple's bank account and money sitting in the majority shareholders' bank accounts is not meaningful.

Yes it is. A dollar in Apple's bank account is being loaned out by a bank, which has to invest conservatively to preserve bank balances. When Apple (indirectly) gives it back to the shareholders, they can spend it or invest it in whatever fits their profile. Apple doesn't leave money sitting around, because that lowers their earnings ratios and makes their stock a poorer investment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You're begging the question. The assumption that directing money to shareholders instead of workers will increase spending and investment is the issue being debated.

"But maybe THOSE rich people will buy capital assets and expand production" is not an answer to the observation that owners are lining their pockets instead of hiring as asdf32 claims businesses always want to do.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't understand why you people are getting enraged over some pretty basic mechanisms of high finance. Y'alls seem to be trying to treat the "cash reserves" (one hell of a euphemism really) of a multinational corporation as if it works the same as My First Piggybank; which doesn't work for the same reason that running a country's budget like a household budget doesn't work.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't understand why you people are getting enraged over some pretty basic mechanisms of high finance. Y'alls seem to be trying to treat the "cash reserves" (one hell of a euphemism really) of a multinational corporation as if it works the same as My First Piggybank; which doesn't work for the same reason that running a country's budget like a household budget doesn't work.

no, we are addressing the fact that corporate cash reserves do nothing but accumulate most of the time, when if a larger portion of revenues were paid out to workers instead of siphoned off as profits, there would be greater consumer purchasing power instead of slackening demand as is being seen. While it's true that cash reserves in banks are utilized for loans, consumer spending cannot be based on loans alone, hinges on banks being willing to lend (which is situations where increased consumer spending would be most needed, they are usually not), and has huge issues related to accumulated household debt of average consumers, which cannot be sustained and can precipitate lending crunches when interest rates kick up and people invariably default.

Simply put, a great deal of the money that gets earmarked for dividends, stock buybacks or just plain old hoarding in bank accounts would be a hell of a lot more useful to society in the hands of workers, as better compensation. Too much of our productive output goes to the top, more of it needs to go to the bottom right now.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I was just contesting the premise that companies hire people based purely on available capital. Because that's ridiculous. Any more pedants want to quibble on side issues?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Series DD Funding posted:

Yes it is. A dollar in Apple's bank account is being loaned out by a bank

Not all investment is created equal. Typical business cash reserves are often held in money market or similar b2b lending accounts to ensure liquidity. While this is a form of investment and helps a healthy economy due to providing day to day finance liquidity, it is not a massive economic growth driver as it creates offsetting debt obligation and returns are used to pad ridiculous bank bonuses.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

archangelwar posted:

Not all investment is created equal. Typical business cash reserves are often held in money market or similar b2b lending accounts to ensure liquidity. While this is a form of investment and helps a healthy economy due to providing day to day finance liquidity, it is not a massive economic growth driver as it creates offsetting debt obligation and returns are used to pad ridiculous bank bonuses.

i was just going to ask the question you just answered so I'm going to just quote you instead, kthx

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

asdf32 posted:

There wasn't an intelligent rebuttal in there.

it's hard to have an intelligent rebuttal to a completely idiotic question. when a child insists that the sun and a campfire work the same way because they're both bright and hot, it doesn't take a genius to point out realities that a slightly older child would already know.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

archangelwar posted:

It doesn't matter. Inequality and aggregate demand are distinct things. Inequality has been a decades long trend that's proven durable across a range of financial conditions. Finite piles of "cash" are not a solution to decades long trends. To the extent they're related, they're symptoms of deeper structural problems.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Haha wow. Some inequality is durable, yes, but the level of it is quite clearly malleable and correlates strongly with a number of things. Wage stagnation, caused in part by things like slackened minimum wages and globalisation; de-regulation of the financial markets; de-industrialisation; the rolling back of welfare programs and of progressive taxation, etc.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Inequality is due to poor time preference (ie: laziness and irresponsibility)

That's what causes inequality. Sudden, inexplicable, national attacks of laziness. American workers haven't been this lazy and irresponsible since the Gilded Age

This has nothing to do with policy. The only policy that works is to tell people not to be so loving lazy.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Haha wow. Some inequality is durable, yes, but the level of it is quite clearly malleable and correlates strongly with a number of things. Wage stagnation, caused in part by things like slackened minimum wages and globalisation; de-regulation of the financial markets; de-industrialisation; the rolling back of welfare programs and of progressive taxation, etc.

Globization and deindustrialization being clearly structural and exactly what I'm talking about.

If you actually think minimum wage factors at a global level you're kidding yourself. The others in the list I'd place in between, but significantly below the first one.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Globization and deindustrialization being clearly structural and exactly what I'm talking about.

If you actually think minimum wage factors at a global level you're kidding yourself. The others in the list I'd place in between, but significantly below the first one.

yeah i can't think how the buying power of tens of millions of people in the richest country in the world could affect the global economy, either. it's not like americans buy food or manufactured goods from other countries, haha

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Who says we're talking about the global level? That Globalisation is making a lot (but not all) poor countries richer while it deadens low-wage earners in western countries is a favourite conservative talking point, but it's also to some extent full of poo poo. Even high-wage, high-skill workers have done badly out of rising inequality in the economy in rich economies, and it's almost entirely to do with domestic economic policy. Decreased inequality in major western economies would not result in suddenly Africans starving harder and is desirable.

On a domestic level these things obviously have an effect, but they're part of a broader complex. Policy manifestly has a major impact.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Who says we're talking about the global level?

Because the subject will be changed anytime an anti-minimum-wage talking point is proven false.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Who says we're talking about the global level? That Globalisation is making a lot (but not all) poor countries richer while it deadens low-wage earners in western countries is a favourite conservative talking point, but it's also to some extent full of poo poo. Even high-wage, high-skill workers have done badly out of rising inequality in the economy in rich economies, and it's almost entirely to do with domestic economic policy. Decreased inequality in major western economies would not result in suddenly Africans starving harder and is desirable.

On a domestic level these things obviously have an effect, but they're part of a broader complex. Policy manifestly has a major impact.

To be clear increasing inequality is a trend across the west. So that's a great clue for its global structural nature. Policy has an impact, we can see different countries being affected in different ways. But first it's important to grasp the underlying problem.

People who are ranting about corporate savings and other financial policy are failing that test. It's feel good politics at best, economic illiteracy at worst.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

It doesn't matter. Inequality and aggregate demand are distinct things. Inequality has been a decades long trend that's proven durable across a range of financial conditions. Finite piles of "cash" are not a solution to decades long trends. To the extent they're related, they're symptoms of deeper structural problems.

What the gently caress does this even have to do with what I said? Did you just see "big bonuses" and melt down or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

asdf32 posted:

To be clear increasing inequality is a trend across the west. So that's a great clue for its global structural nature. Policy has an impact, we can see different countries being affected in different ways. But first it's important to grasp the underlying problem.

People who are ranting about corporate savings and other financial policy are failing that test. It's feel good politics at best, economic illiteracy at worst.

Oh no we failed a test you made up that has no bearing on how things work.

Oh no.

Also the guy who said "demand is basically infinite" calling others economic illiterate, lol.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You're a moron. You only see the half of the equation you want to see because it's the only half that yields to your worldview. I'm sorry, but globalisation does not have to result in wage stagnation for 80% of western workers - that could definitely be mitigated through policy.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

You're a moron. You only see the half of the equation you want to see because it's the only half that yields to your worldview. I'm sorry, but globalisation does not have to result in wage stagnation for 80% of western workers - that could definitely be mitigated through policy.

Correct. By policy which recognizes that as the problem.

You never disagree with me anywhere near as much as you seem to want.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Correct. By policy which recognizes that as the problem.

You never disagree with me anywhere near as much as you seem to want.

Lol. Not just by policy that recognises it as the problem, because it's not the only problem. With the policy in place we have had for the last 30 years in the UK and the US, wages would have tended in that direction either way, just not as violently.

Have you considered this may be because you are inept?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

And given your clear ideological preferences, it's hard not to suspect that what you have in mind as a solution is very different from me.

So what would you do about stagnant wages?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

And given your clear ideological preferences, it's hard not to suspect that what you have in mind as a solution is very different from me.

So what would you do about stagnant wages?

Higher taxes for the rich and increased direct spending by government on things like research, education and infrastructure has always been my preferred starting point. It also needs to be recognized that healthcare spending (in the US anyways) ranks almost as high as anything else in terms of robbing the middle and lower class of a higher standard of living.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Yeah so you're just inept then.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

it's important to remember that asdf isn't actually a libertarian or really a subscriber to any sort of coherent political notion, it's just an idiot who can't stop posting extremely wrong things

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Would still enjoy an elaboration on this:

asdf32 posted:

All aspects of production are costly including capital. The relationship between capital costs and labor costs alone changes the employment equation without even factoring in demand.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

Would still enjoy an elaboration on this:

Don't know what to elaborate on. Labor and capital both present continuous costs which get re-evaluated on an ongoing basis.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Don't know what to elaborate on. Labor and capital both present continuous costs which get re-evaluated on an ongoing basis.

"don't know enough to elaborate. i thought it sounded nice, but the underlying mechanisms of economics are beyond my exceptionally limited ken"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

no, we are addressing the fact that corporate cash reserves do nothing but accumulate most of the time, when if a larger portion of revenues were paid out to workers instead of siphoned off as profits, there would be greater consumer purchasing power instead of slackening demand as is being seen. While it's true that cash reserves in banks are utilized for loans, consumer spending cannot be based on loans alone, hinges on banks being willing to lend (which is situations where increased consumer spending would be most needed, they are usually not), and has huge issues related to accumulated household debt of average consumers, which cannot be sustained and can precipitate lending crunches when interest rates kick up and people invariably default.

Simply put, a great deal of the money that gets earmarked for dividends, stock buybacks or just plain old hoarding in bank accounts would be a hell of a lot more useful to society in the hands of workers, as better compensation. Too much of our productive output goes to the top, more of it needs to go to the bottom right now.

Apple's "workers" are primarily high paid tech guys in the states and extremely low paid Chinese factory workers. There would be minimal benefit in the US from higher salaries to the already quite well off general workers, and the workers in China are under contract to another company and as such Apple would never pay them more directly.

Then there's about 60,000 workers in the Apple stores around the world, but increasing their pay to say a minimum of $15 an hour would barely make a dent into their cash reserves that you seem so upset about, on average in the US at least they get $9 or $10 an hour starting pay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

it's important to remember that asdf isn't actually a libertarian or really a subscriber to any sort of coherent political notion, it's just an idiot who can't stop posting extremely wrong things

Which is, to be honest, not a huge distinction.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Apple's "workers" are primarily high paid tech guys in the states and extremely low paid Chinese factory workers. There would be minimal benefit in the US from higher salaries to the already quite well off general workers, and the workers in China are under contract to another company and as such Apple would never pay them more directly.

Then there's about 60,000 workers in the Apple stores around the world, but increasing their pay to say a minimum of $15 an hour would barely make a dent into their cash reserves that you seem so upset about, on average in the US at least they get $9 or $10 an hour starting pay.

What argument do you think you're having?

fishmech I'm worried about you I think you're regressing. You were doing so well in the bitcoin thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't think the point is to drain the cash reserves just to drain them.