Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Niton posted:

:siren: We have a Bard! And an Amumu. On the same team!

Who picked them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

LGD

I feel a bit vindicated

Also there's an Elise (on the other team) and Anivia

Apparently they're using Bard to magical journey Amumu into the enemy team for ganks given the Bard is built around roaming.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Imp isn't letting the Bard health packs sit at all, really.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Oh. That's a good use of Bard ultimate.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Quoting the casters
"He got out rotated by an Anivia without boots....
"That is dumb... that is really really dumb..."

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I repeat- Amumu, the Sad Pinata.

e: Lol, that Amumu ult catch on Elise, just to be followed up by walking into a death brush and just dying 4v5 because it's down.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 3, 2015

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

The Magical Bait :allears:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Bard needs to be dragged back to the drawing bard given how this has been going to say the least.

At least make sure that enemies can't use the Magical Journey...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Calax posted:

Bard needs to be dragged back to the drawing bard given how this has been going to say the least.

I would be very curious if Riot tested a Bard that could make portals only usable by teammates and found it was too strong or something. There's a lot of good ideas in Bard's kit that's undermined by undertuning in power and hard-countered by... well, good vision.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mr. Locke posted:

I would be very curious if Riot tested a Bard that could make portals only usable by teammates and found it was too strong or something. There's a lot of good ideas in Bard's kit that's undermined by undertuning in power and hard-countered by... well, good vision.

Almost certainly. For one, it allows for super easy braindead escapes across long walls.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Transient People posted:

Almost certainly. For one, it allows for super easy braindead escapes across long walls.

Considering how little else Bard does to 'support' that'd probably be ok, honestly. Like, his entire package is just full of good ideas except the caveats to them just make them situational and useless. His best use right now seems to be to set up crappy 'Healing Minefields' with his heal and try to lure fights over near them one they mature.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 3, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

Well it seems like he was designed to punish bad play, but he's designed around such a high skill point that any plan turns to chaos.

In correct magical journey? Well you just let the enemies into your back line!
Wonder off to collect meeps/charms? Well your ADC is dead.

Click wrong or are slightly mispossitioned? Well your slow just turned into a stun or your stun just became a slow!

missed your ult a tiny bit? Well all your damage is frozen and their damage is up.

The kit sounds amazing in theory, but when the bilities change so much based on positioning and roaming etc, it's just asking for the guy to be binary (terrible or awesome)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Mr. Locke posted:

Considering how little else Bard does to 'support' that'd probably be ok, honestly. Like, his entire package is just full of good ideas except the caveats to them just make them situational and useless.

Which caveats? The only ones I can think of that hobble him are his 500 range (should be 550, as the PBE buffs briefly upped it to), starting with one meep (should be 2 so he has actual damage), and needing some chimes to get the cone effect on his passive.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Transient People posted:

Which caveats? The only ones I can think of that hobble him are his 500 range (should be 550, as the PBE buffs briefly upped it to), starting with one meep (should be 2 so he has actual damage), and needing some chimes to get the cone effect on his passive.

A heal that can be denied by the enemy. An escape the enemies can use.. A stasis that affects friend and foe alike. A stun that has to hit something else too.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

A heal that can be denied by the enemy. An escape the enemies can use.. A stasis that affects friend and foe alike. A stun that has to hit something else too.

On the other hand though, that heal has an almost Get Excited level speedbuff attached, that escape also has an enormous speedbuff to give you a headstart if you use it right (read: not to cross directly through a wall but move obliquely), and the stasis can secure objectives and defenses. I mean yeah, Bard's unreliable, but all of those things are intentional :gitgud: requirements to think a couple steps ahead. To me a caveat is the fact that Bard literally loses lane automatically starting at level 2 because he only has one skill he can use proactively in a fight and not enough damage until he gets his second meep. That's an actual issue with his kit instead of part of his playstyle.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 3, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SKT's fielding Tom for game one, instead of Bengi

He's the guy who yanked out that pocket Udyr a few weeks ago.

... Well that's a new one
Kennen Support, lulu mid.

Calax fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 3, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
DanDy running around wrecking people with Definitely Not Udyr is hilarious.

Starhorn Royal Club still think J4 jungle is a valid pick and are being punished for it

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Samsung is running a 5.1 comp with Vlad instead of Kassadin.

Rumble
Lee
Vlad
Kog
Morgana.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

DanDy running around wrecking people with Definitely Not Udyr is hilarious.

Starhorn Royal Club still think J4 jungle is a valid pick and are being punished for it

china is on 5.6 already? I thought they were usually behind a week

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Calax posted:

I feel a bit vindicated

i dont know why

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

exethan posted:

china is on 5.6 already? I thought they were usually behind a week

Somehow they are!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Calax posted:

... Why are you not using the Reddit VOD's? They're taken from the Riot stream and posted within an hour of the match being over.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LoLeventVoDs/

Because if I subscribe to the youtube channel I can view them easily on the youtube app, and also I don't have to go to reddit. I think that's pretty reasonable!

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 3, 2015

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Calax posted:

The big thing about Amumu is that he's got the health shred aura. So if he can be supported in the jungle enough he'd be able to just shred entire teams of tanks.

Greg grass does 12% max like every 3 seconds tears can go suck and gently caress.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If you want a tank busting ADC you pick Vayne or Kog'maw. Varus is too weak to justify his immobility.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Actually Varus is pretty good

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Firebert posted:

If you want a tank busting ADC you pick Vayne or Kog'maw. Varus is too weak to justify his immobility.

He's also the only ADC who suffers from Bruiser Syndrome, IMO. By this I mean his kit is an unimaginative, boring ball of stats that is not particularly worth looking at when undertuned. Every other ADC is pretty distinct from all others, even within their niche (you wouldn't say Lucian and Graves have anything in common with the way they play in spite of both being AD Casters, for ex), but Varus is just plain bland. I wish he got a kit rework.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Varus had a stronger niche when bot lane was more healing and poking oriented back when he was released. Now that the pro meta is basically half of your team is committed to hard diving hard stunning champions and everything that isn't one of those has a ton of mobility there's no real place for him. His long range poke, AOE healing debuff, team fight ultimate which is great to stick to immobile targets is again, something that is fantastic for a different era of the game but feels weaker now because of the extensive power creep.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

Varus had a stronger niche when bot lane was more healing and poking oriented back when he was released. Now that the pro meta is basically half of your team is committed to hard diving hard stunning champions and everything that isn't one of those has a ton of mobility there's no real place for him. His long range poke, AOE healing debuff, team fight ultimate which is great to stick to immobile targets is again, something that is fantastic for a different era of the game but feels weaker now because of the extensive power creep.

His poke is kinda poo poo though (seriously, compare it with Corki rockets or juggermaw poke), AoE healing is no longer needed and a teamfight ultimate is something an ADC doesn't need. He's just...built entirely the wrong way really. His design was reactive to his time instead of his own thing.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Calax posted:

Samsung is running a 5.1 comp with Vlad instead of Kassadin.

Rumble
Lee
Vlad
Kog
Morgana.

You'd have to have warwick to be truly 5.1

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Transient People posted:

His poke is kinda poo poo though (seriously, compare it with Corki rockets or juggermaw poke), AoE healing is no longer needed and a teamfight ultimate is something an ADC doesn't need. He's just...built entirely the wrong way really. His design was reactive to his time instead of his own thing.

his poke is amazing but he doesn't really do much when people are in his face

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

exethan posted:

his poke is amazing but he doesn't really do much when people are in his face

No, because good ADC poke is a constant loving barrage of :frogout:, not one chunking arrow. Look at Ez, Urgot, Corki and Kog (and hell, even Jinx if you wanna lump her in too, though I wouldn't). None of them throw out one ability every ten secs, they bombard you so you either clear out or die. Varus' poke is so slow you can heal it up on reaction.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Varus poke is weak because, in keeping with Libertine's point, when Varus was actually decent Bloodthirster was a snowball offensive only item that gave 100 AD at max stacks. So you could build BT into LW and then chunk the poo poo out of people with max rank Q, worse if they dared to auto trade with you before hand and eat W stacks. Now BT is a pseudo-defensive item and IE gives the same AD and is more poweful only when autoing, and Crucible is A Thing that exists and basically negates Varus ult.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

You'd have to have warwick to be truly 5.1

I thought Warwick was the 4.20 patch.

As to Varus, yeah, his kit has issues, and I do hope that he gets a minor rework to turn him into something more useful, but as it is I kinda want to play around a bit on him and see if building him cdr/AP would be any good because of how it'd work his w up. I doubt it'd actually work out, but meh.

Honestly that's the main problem with him vs Kog and Vayne. The other two are built around either AP or AD for scaling, but Varus ONLY has AD on his q and e, while AP on his w and R. His W scales better than kogs but the finnicky application and split stats make Varus much worse for wear in the AP game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/482074-c9-meteos-chasing-first

Good interview with Meteos. Most interesting is that Lemon's not doing P/B anymore, so you have to wonder if they're scouting for a mechanical upgrade.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Varus' W has better scaling but still does less damage even in the best case scenario of you evenly applying autos to get max stacks and having your skills on cooldown and also hitting your skill shot every single time.

Comparing it to Kog W is super disingenuous.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The latest episode of the Team Liquid show is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4ZjC-VDfs

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
The other really lovely thing is that Varus's ult is quite missable and does nothing if you don't immediately hit anything. It's the most punishing thing for what it does.

At least other ADC ults that are skillshots have a longer 'hit' duration (ashe arrow is a big projectile that spans the map, draven ult goes back than forth, lucian's culling shoots for awhile, etc. And if you can hit it it might be cleansed anyways.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

TSM legends ep 10 is up. OddOne shows up because it involves the URF stuff behind the scenes.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Shen showing up again? gently caress this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

against a singed!?

• Locked thread