Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Isn't Suffering 1 a Q3 engine game? I'm sure it it had a pc version too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The Suffering 1 was actually classed as freeware for the pc a few years ago, not sure if it is again now or somebody claimed it.

E: apparently it was released by the United States Air Force, according to Wikipedia. How odd.

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 3, 2015

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
You know that *erotic skin in a perverted horror game video* reminded me of those creeps that kept pestering Dark ID during the Resident Evil LP series to upload video's of every female characters death scene's to youtube...Oh god the related video's are even worse!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If I recall the free version doesn't work because it gets ads from servers that don't exist anymore. It is a really good game though.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

thebardyspoon posted:

If I recall the free version doesn't work because it gets ads from servers that don't exist anymore. It is a really good game though.

You can get a :warez: version of the executable that makes it work.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Sometimes DeviantArt isnt a cesspool

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm not a big fan of the Freddy's series, but I just want to say the third game's solo antagonist is really well done.

He's got a stupid grin permanently painted on his face, but he defies the "walking doll" fashion the characters had in the past. The way his eyes move independently of his body, how he hides in darkness and odd corners of the camera that seems almost like cheating compared to standing in the middle of the scene, and especially the way he peeks around the corner with his ear folded up to match the profile of the Freddy head outside give him a sort of expression ability that defies the game's otherwise low budget look.

Gameplay-wise, at least a well played game no longer looks like someone routinely doing the same thing over and over again. An excellently played game of the second one just looked like a guy winding a music box, putting on a mask, using his flashlight, and repeating over and over. Worse, the music box made the other cameras totally irrelevant.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok ,so just finished Alien : Isolation and you guys were right, it really got better after medical and it's a pretty good game all the way to the ending were it turns to poo poo. Yes, let's go from having you creeping around in semi open areas where there is pretty much always a way to sneak around your enemies, to having you run back and forth in a corridor with no places to hide except at the ends and then have you get ambushed by the alien and have a section where you have to shoot small/fast instant kill enemies, they should have cut everything between the spoilered section and you actually getting the EVA suit on. I assume the airlock ending is some kind of reference because it feels somewhat off to me, sure horror games usually have bad endings, but IMO it would fit better to have you spaced when you free the Torres instead of when you get inside, though I assumed part of that is so she can be alive at the end instead of burning up in the atmosphere .

They succeeded pretty well in having scarce resources I never felt like I could use them without thinking(for gadgets at least) but I still never felt that I lacked anything whenever I actually needed it, I think limited inventory spaces and pre-crafting stuff was really good for this. I could focus on the stuff I wanted to use but also building the other stuff to not leave materials behind, I finished the game with a full inventory though so maybe I could have been more careless with my items. Maybe it's because I never fought the other humans but when it comes to weapons though I felt it was a mixed bag, the stun rod was good for stunning android so You could clobber them with the jack but halfway through they become immune, the pistol never had enough ammo for killing androids outside when you are forced at the start, the shotgun never got any ammo either so I only used it for killing the small aliens at the end since they started evading the flame thrower, the flamethrower was pretty interesting since I always had tons of ammo and could use it however I wanted, but the alien learned to stay back a bit so I had to change my tactics if I didn't use it in a purely defensive way and the bolt gun was pretty much only used in the reactor because I needed to move all over and there was no way to hide on the walk ways so I just killed every android with it, after that I pretty much never had enough ammo for all the androids in a room where it would be useful and starting combat w/o enough ammo to kill everyone is just bad.

And then there are the flares which I never used after I got the flashlight, not that I used that one much either but it obsoleted the flare as a light source, I imagine I could have used the flare as the visual version of the noise maker but it would have started burning at my position and would have been useless to me.

I know horror characters die whenever you are done with them and they never accompany you because being alone is scary, but they where good enough even if it was annoying how a lot of the were behind glass so they could die without you being threatened or burning the alien, well except for Taylor and Samuel, it felt like they were with you form the start so that you would care more when they died but then they disappeared and you never really interacted with them again until they died.

Overall it was nice to have a horror game where you are competent but in way over your head instead of one where you are either useless or dominating and I didn't really feel like I was missing anything vital despite never having seen the films though I'm sure I missed a ton of references.

If CA makes another horror game I'll be interested since they pulled this off pretty well and they might even polish up the bad parts.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh man, you've never seen Alien? Both Alien and Aliens totally hold up, you should check them out. I'm envious of anyone who gets to see them for the first time. Both are the progenitors of sci-fi horror, in their respective different ways.

The game is packed to bursting with references to the movies, although they did a great job at capturing the 70s sci-fi aesthetic overall, that's actually one of my problems with the game is that the overt references are overdone. For all the really creative and interesting designs that were an homage to the feel of the movies, it also seems like they shoved in direct copies of specific things from the movies just because, it's like a guy leaning over your shoulder as you're playing and grinning while poking you in the arm, "Hey! Remember that? That was in the first movie, remember? How about that one? Did you catch that? Yeah we totally watched those movies!"

Exhibits A-D, I'm just linking to these pictures in case anyone doesn't want any sort of spoilers.

Not-Mother
http://i.imgur.com/JEMGzUd.jpg

A not-Bishop android, one of many whose heads you can pop off in a specific way because that one movie scene
http://i.imgur.com/HVMz95r.jpg

Drinking bird, REMEMBER THAT
http://i.imgur.com/CyCeaan.jpg

This almost happened to a character in the movie remember?! It's out of context here and misses the point of the film scene but hey it was in there!
http://i.imgur.com/TkbZbyO.jpg

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, if you see a mainframe or a toy somewhere, it has to be the exact same mainframe or toy your parent saw 20 years ago. No other kinds have existed ever since.
This seems to be like a thing in games, and not necessarily only licensed ones. I was playing Dishonored recently, reading people's diaries and whatnot, and they clearly don't have any fish in Dunwall other than the slaughterfish. No other medicine exists beside the health and mana potions you can use. If a thing is not part of gameplay systems, it doesn't exist period. So loving lazy, and makes the universe feel so small.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone ever play this old Genesis game? Sorry if its been mentioned already. Nightmare Circus, it was called:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTfV6e_hXE

I dont think I ever beat a single level, it was just aimless as gently caress. Had a really weird debug mode where 2 players could fight as the NPC/creatures. It just was loving bizarre all around.

I think I remember a level where you were in some giant Gravitron and you stuck to the walls. As everyone else said it was weird as gently caress and I don't think I got anywhere.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Sad Mammal posted:

I think the American Silent Hills are pretty much action, especially Homecoming. As for others:

Nightmare Creatures, BloodRayne, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Dante's Inferno, System Shock, Dino Crisis, Condemned (2 moreso), Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Metro: Last Light, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, the second half of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is all action and also sucks, Extermination for PS2 isn't a bad little game

I keep forgetting all about Nightmare Creatures, I have the old PC version. Got really far in it years ago before stopping and haven't gotten to touch it since.

Can't remember 2 at all though, aside from Rob Zombie's name being attached to it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Guess what's getting a movie. :haw:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/video-game-five-nights-at-787061

Think what you will but Scott's turned his career around.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I wonder what that will mean for this team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ook3KPzTD4w

which is an indie group doing the same thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

Okay, while the games didn't really grab me I'm honestly happy for this man who has stumbled into this goldmine and hopes he does not gently caress it up.

Or at least, if he does, he fucks it up in an entertaining way. He was smart enough to keep his games below the :10bux: impulse buy barrier though instead of increasing the price for the third game at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 8, 2015

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

you gottab e loving kidding me!!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Section Z posted:

Okay, while the games didn't really grab me I'm honestly happy for this man who has stumbled into this goldmine and hopes he does not gently caress it up.

Or at least, if he does, he fucks it up in an entertaining way. He was smart enough to keep his games below the :10bux: impulse buy barrier though instead of increasing the price for the third game at least.

Every time you post I hear that game's music. Every. Time.

I am so old.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It's going to lose the point so badly, but we need another terrible video game movie to laugh at.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hamshot posted:

I wonder what that will mean for this team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ook3KPzTD4w

which is an indie group doing the same thing.

If they're lucky, whatever studio picks the movie up will bring them into the team. Much more likely, it means they're going to be getting a cease and desist letter in a few months.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Crabtree posted:

It's going to lose the point so badly, but we need another terrible video game movie to laugh at.

There are two ways I could see it go and not be totally terrible.

If it's going to almost definitely be a series, adapt the second game. Change it enough that the guard is trying to figure out what's going on (giving him a reason to come back instead of saying gently caress this job, maybe even some connection to one of the missing kids) while trying to stay alive, instead of just sitting at his desk trying to stay alive. Make a nice creepy scene of going into Parts & Service and having the old robots wake up. End it with his head getting chomped, maybe just as he figures out who the purple guy is.

If it's a one-off, set it sometime between when the restaurant closes and the stuff from 3's minigames. Quick flashbacks with 80's local news reports about the missing kids, guard staying alive then getting bit, then the failing restaurant with that guard getting stuffed in a suit. Urban explorer types get inside, at midnight Bonnie or Chica step off the stage and they try to run but can't get out. Some stuff writes itself - standing in front of the purple curtain and Foxy hooks them, Freddy's music playing and he just appears behind someone, one of them gets the cameras working using their battery packs and hears the audio of someone getting attacked in the kitchen with no video, they accidentally flash a light at Foxy and he resets, but it doesn't work on the others... Maybe even throw in the decommissioned ones from 2 stashed in a room somewhere, so you can get Mangle dropping off the ceiling or Balloon Boy killing their lights. Could even work in the minigames as the robots' memories appearing on broken arcade monitors and stuff if you want to go for a "put their spirits at rest" type ending.

Oh god, I'm writing fanfiction, aren't I? I'm just gonna stop now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Get the guys who directed Too Many Cooks for the Freddy movie I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wonder if Uwe Boll has expressed interest.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

The point is literally a vehicle for cheap jump scares. The only way to lose the point would be if they accidentally made The Shining.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nice that a guy found a way to milk an accidental success for all its worth and cash out, even if the game became really tired by the third in less than a year and now a horrid movie may or may not come out. I'd want to cash out too if I created a game with the kind of gross fandom and following this one received.

It's really depressing we're not going to get Silent Hills anymore but this bullshit gets a movie

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Normal Adult Human posted:

The point is literally a vehicle for cheap jump scares. The only way to lose the point would be if they accidentally made The Shining.

Well, the game's main draw was how unsettling the animatronics looked and moved ("moved"). If they don't nail that uncanny valley thing, the movie really will just be jump scares.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's really depressing we're not going to get Silent Hills anymore but this bullshit gets a movie

Dang, I didn't even think of it this way

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guarantee that this movie's gimmick will be that it'll all be "found footage" from the restaurant's security cams. It's the most obvious and lazy route to go with the premise.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Roy Lee was the producer for a lot of American remakes of Japanese horror filmes, like the American The Ring, The Grudge, Oldboy and I guess an upcoming Adventure Time thing, if I can trust Wikipedia on this. Seth Grahame-Smith wrote Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and is a producer for The Hard Times of RJ Berger, which that Mr. Katzenberg is also a produced in. Katzenberg is the son of another Katzenberg who does stuff in Hollywood, I guess, and he's also been a producer for The Goldbergs and Survivor and quite frankly I don't know what to make of that.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HellCopter posted:

Well, the game's main draw was how unsettling the animatronics looked and moved ("moved"). If they don't nail that uncanny valley thing, the movie really will just be jump scares.

The animatronics never moved in the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Isn't 'producer' just a fancy way of saying 'the rich guy who thinks its a good idea and will fund it'? I think the director is the name you want to be on the lookout for.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Normal Adult Human posted:

The animatronics never moved in the game.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Isn't 'producer' just a fancy way of saying 'the rich guy who thinks its a good idea and will fund it'? I think the director is the name you want to be on the lookout for.

They have a hand in the process, it's just not right there on the set while action's ongoing. They still get to decide who's going to be in charge of other roles down the line, what the script is, etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Film producers are basically administrators but they're also responsible for scouting for talent and usually have final say on decisions. Some of them are really hands off but others are on set all the time. Like George Lucas in his heyday was a far better producer than director.

But yeah, a lot of them are money bags who match the talent with the creators.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you played lakeview cabin collection? It looks neat and I remember the lakeview cabin flash game that was also pretty good, I hear collection is an episodic game with the first ep coming to steam soon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not really a "scary" horror game, but Killing Floor 2 is coming to early access later this month and beta key lotteries have begun

Thank you god bless

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not really a "scary" horror game, but Killing Floor 2 is coming to early access later this month and beta key lotteries have begun

Thank you god bless

The scary thing are
A: People without beta keys still have to wait for the Early access.
B: The existential horror at somebody seemingly using EA as it was intended.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you played lakeview cabin collection? It looks neat and I remember the lakeview cabin flash game that was also pretty good, I hear collection is an episodic game with the first ep coming to steam soon.

I've been playing this for the last little bit and its a definite must-buy. The soundtrack is amazing and its a really neat throwback to the slasher films of the seventies and eighties.

You play as 4 campers trying to defeat a slasher villain at an old run down camp. You will manage to kill yourself more often than not due to things such as slipping on vomit and then into a woodchipper.

I won't spoil the game for you, just buy it and play it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
It was mentioned in the Kickstarter thread, but there's a new web site for the remake of Pathologic. I chipped in a few bucks back then and I'm thinking of doing so again.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Was PT set to be removed eventually from its inception? Because I just read it's going to be removed from PSN on the 29th. RIP Silent Hills

Relin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 26, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relin posted:

Was PT set to be removed eventually from its inception? Because I just read it's going to be removed from PSN on the 29th. RIP Silent Hills

No word of expiration was given until literally now. RIP Silent Hills indeed.

There's a lot of parallels here to Mega Man Legends 3. MML3 went into production with a ton of support then Inafune left a few months later. The "prototype" demo was finished and playable but Capcom scrapped everything about a month before launch. And gamers like me still have blue balls over it and I'll have blue balls over what Silent Hills will never be. And at worst this good teaser that caught the internet on fire will be gone forever.

e: I still can't get over MML3 because Capcom blamed the cancellation on fans for their lack of interest when the prototype was finished and intended to gauge interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Why the gently caress would you remove PT, even without a later game it's a fantastic standalone experience.