Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Hivac posted:

Are the enemy replacements exclusive to the rerelease?

They have been changed (in part or in whole) from DS2 original - either tweaks or additions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My last three runs were a sword & board Strength dude, a Str/Fth heavy armour caster, and a greatclub dude. Should I go for powerstance rapiers (or power stance spears), or be boring and do a sorcerer?

Powerstancing was the most fun I've had with the game, by far, and I think that losing the shield made me a better player overall.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Innerguard posted:

They have been changed (in part or in whole) from DS2 original - either tweaks or additions

Bah. Guess I'll have to wait to play through the game again. :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Seriously, naming the ultimate patch/event state of the original game AND the GOTY version the same thing was the dumbest goddamned thing.

On the plus side I'm loving this as I walk through various areas and go "Oh, hello..." to some change. Like what's now waiting for the player at the bottom of Sinner's Rise. :v: It really is a wonderful mix of you know enough about the game to avoid a lot of stupid things, and yet everything's somehow new again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Grilox posted:

Answered that above already, upgrade your xbox360ce dlls to 64 bit

I've been trying to fix the controller issue for another hour today and doing this doesn't actually work as far as I can tell. When you download the additional x64 files it causes the main x360ce application to start having issues recognizing the controller at all and it gives you error messages upon launching DS2 that either crash the game immediately or don't fix the problem. The readme says that the program isn't fully compatible with the .dll files, and changing the suggested values in the .ini files doesn't work either. Probably going to give up again pretty soon unless a proper fix is figured out.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm assuming nobody is this far, but does NG+ have a similar amount of changes? At the very least it has to have all of the NG stuff, right?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Any idea which Heide knight drops the chestpiece? I'm assuming they drop in NG, not just NG+. Hopefully I'm not wrong. Gotta get this Glencour cospvp off the ground, and that's the most important piece.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hick Magnet posted:

If you're careful not to hit walls, big weapons are fine. The reason big weapons have problems is because they generally have a larger swing and clip walls, which wrecks durability. With the way durability currently works, you'll need to carry a backup weapon or two to be safe. Personally, I like that. With the vanilla game running at 30fps, weapons were never in danger of being broken unless there was someone/something using acid.

Like I said, I could go as hog wild as I wanted with smaller weapons. But bigger ones would get hosed up extra fast because of the whole 'corpses cause major durability damage' deal combined with the fact a lot of the bigger weapons function by smashing poo poo into the pavement, so of course will be spending a good while inside the corpse. Or at least that seems to be the reason why '5 spiders one shot=dead = 3/4 durability left'

My first shot at the skeleton lords my fresh from nearby bonfire large club broke right before I finished dealing with the last set of spawned skeletons(one swing for normal skellies, 3 or so for lords), no wasted swings, everything was a hit. Okay I'll just switch to my backup sword-Whoops I had streamlined my items to cram as much armor on me as possible for boss oh hello bonewheels.

My second shot, mace still had well over half it's durability. That's with having to take extra swings and the fact it has a lower max durability than the large club. I also went from Earthen Keep front to back killing everything+snake boss and my weapons while low didn't break.

Basically I never needed backup weapons for "In case this one breaks" except for the fact bigger toys just were turbo hosed by the durability bug while many other weapons you will never be at risk outside of things that are specifically there to break items. Meanwhile I can bash as many walls an take as many extra swings after an enemy dies as I want with my shortsword.

I'm a bit hazy on how you can be more conservative and economical with swings on a weapon than "make sure to kill multiple enemies in one swing". Ah well, when I get back to playing this I'd never noticed the bug unless I use the bigger stuff anyways.... But I like caveman combat :downs: Can cap the FPS sure, or look for other do it yourself fixes (Capped FPS my large club let me go hog wild what's this worrying about durability thing?). But it felt dumb then, and it feels extra dumb for an "upgraded" version to have to dance around the kind of FPS bugs even a Dragon Ball Z game will fix.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've been trying to fix the controller issue for another hour today and doing this doesn't actually work as far as I can tell. When you download the additional x64 files it causes the main x360ce application to start having issues recognizing the controller at all and it gives you error messages upon launching DS2 that either crash the game immediately or don't fix the problem. The readme says that the program isn't fully compatible with the .dll files, and changing the suggested values in the .ini files doesn't work either. Probably going to give up again pretty soon unless a proper fix is figured out.

I switched over and it works just fine so that's bizarre.

https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/detail?name=x360ce_lib64_r848_VS2010.zip&can=2&q=

This one, right? I start up Dark souls 2, it tells me that the ini isn't compaible, but I ignore that, and the controls are messed up, then you go in game, load your save, then alt tab to device manager, disable and enable your game controller, and bam it works. Right controls and everything. If you're trying that and it's still messed up then that's weird.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Grilox posted:

https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/detail?name=x360ce_lib64_r848_VS2010.zip&can=2&q=

This one, right? I start up Dark souls 2, it tells me that the ini isn't compaible, but I ignore that, and the controls are messed up, then you go in game, load your save, then alt tab to device manager, disable and enable your game controller, and bam it works. Right controls and everything. If you're trying that and it's still messed up then that's weird.

Ok, doing everything in that order finally fixed it. I guess the control scheme doesn't set in until you disable and re-enable the controller mid game after copying over all the required files. Kind of an elaborate problem but I'm glad there's still a workaround.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How do I remove the word filter?

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
Do they still do that thing where if you kill a monster ~20ish times its gone till NGx?

Also I tried to skip over and run around in the Hyde Flame Tower place and see if I could nab some drops here and there like last time and loving LOL what happened to that place. I ran around and thought "Hey, maybe I can make it up to and open the bridge since I got all these assholes chasing me" hahahahahahaha :shepface:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yes. But covenant of the champions make them respawn and disables despawning.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Section Z posted:

Like I said, I could go as hog wild as I wanted with smaller weapons. But bigger ones would get hosed up extra fast because of the whole 'corpses cause major durability damage' deal combined with the fact a lot of the bigger weapons function by smashing poo poo into the pavement, so of course will be spending a good while inside the corpse. Or at least that seems to be the reason why '5 spiders one shot=dead = 3/4 durability left'

My first shot at the skeleton lords my fresh from nearby bonfire large club broke right before I finished dealing with the last set of spawned skeletons(one swing for normal skellies, 3 or so for lords), no wasted swings, everything was a hit. Okay I'll just switch to my backup sword-Whoops I had streamlined my items to cram as much armor on me as possible for boss oh hello bonewheels.

My second shot, mace still had well over half it's durability. That's with having to take extra swings and the fact it has a lower max durability than the large club. I also went from Earthen Keep front to back killing everything+snake boss and my weapons while low didn't break.

Basically I never needed backup weapons for "In case this one breaks" except for the fact bigger toys just were turbo hosed by the durability bug while many other weapons you will never be at risk outside of things that are specifically there to break items. Meanwhile I can bash as many walls an take as many extra swings after an enemy dies as I want with my shortsword.

I'm a bit hazy on how you can be more conservative and economical with swings on a weapon than "make sure to kill multiple enemies in one swing". Ah well, when I get back to playing this I'd never noticed the bug unless I use the bigger stuff anyways.... But I like caveman combat :downs: Can cap the FPS sure, or look for other do it yourself fixes (Capped FPS my large club let me go hog wild what's this worrying about durability thing?). But it felt dumb then, and it feels extra dumb for an "upgraded" version to have to dance around the kind of FPS bugs even a Dragon Ball Z game will fix.

Yeah, the durability can be just...weird sometimes. All it takes is one body flopping wrong, one bone flying off to the sunset and whoops your halberd lost half its durability. And don't even bother trying out whips for anything outside of PVP trolling :suicide:Also, considering the biggest source of durability loss is corpses, the one hit multiple kills with a greatclub might actually be bad due to physics wonkyness.

I just wish repair powder/the repair enchantment weren't available so late. Or so expensive (the powder at least). They do a lot to alleviate the pain when you get the spell, or reach Wellgar for infinite powder.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pro tip to you Ring of Life/Soul Protection abusers: save your broken rings until you get to Shulva. Unless they changed how it works, the googly-eye tree will repair all broken gear you have equipped for free if you hit it with a whip.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Well this is the stupidest technical issue I've encountered yet. In the DX9 version I could simply force the game to run at a X resolution and Y refresh rate in fullscreen using GeDoSaTo. Now in the DX11 version I have to force my monitor into 60Hz mode to make the game run fullscreen, and then I can't use Nvidia supersampling because it's mutually exclusive for some reason!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Mouse input is bugged during level-up, which is really annoying. You need to select each stat with the keyboard (or I guess controller) before it will respond to mouse input.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Positronic Spleen posted:

Well this is the stupidest technical issue I've encountered yet. In the DX9 version I could simply force the game to run at a X resolution and Y refresh rate in fullscreen using GeDoSaTo. Now in the DX11 version I have to force my monitor into 60Hz mode to make the game run fullscreen, and then I can't use Nvidia supersampling because it's mutually exclusive for some reason!

Can you use DSR with borderless windows?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
As a totally new player of DSII (completed DS1 a few weeks ago), am I supposed to be relying a lot on lifegems for early game stuff and not as much estus? I've only found 1 estus shard so far (I just completed the Last Giant - thank god for summoning) so I only have 2 flasks, which just seems crazy to me, but is this how it should be at this point? I'm used to DS1 and having 5-10 at all times, so this is keeping me pretty scared to venture too far from bonfires. Am I missing something or is that just how it is?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

caldrax posted:

As a totally new player of DSII (completed DS1 a few weeks ago), am I supposed to be relying a lot on lifegems for early game stuff and not as much estus? I've only found 1 estus shard so far (I just completed the Last Giant - thank god for summoning) so I only have 2 flasks, which just seems crazy to me, but is this how it should be at this point? I'm used to DS1 and having 5-10 at all times, so this is keeping me pretty scared to venture too far from bonfires. Am I missing something or is that just how it is?

Are you playing the standard version or the newly released shiny version?

Standard version had 3 shards available before Last Giant (so you could fight him with a total of 4 flasks), SotFS scrambled items around a bit so you can only find 2 (unless you know where to find a fragrant branch of yore to unfreeze the guy in the tutorial zone). Either way keep looking, you'll find them. The maximum you can get is 14 flasks, but that's not a big deal since you really are expected to rely at least partially on on lifegems. Now that you've beaten the Last Giant go talk to Hag Melentia and make sure you've finished up her dialog. She'll move to Majula and sell you infinite lifegems.

Personally since the flask animation is slower (and you're immobile during it) I mostly use Flasks outside of combat (or I know the boss isn't going to be anywhere near me for the next while). Stones tend to be my in-combat heals since the animation is faster, you can move (slowly) during it even if the actual heal is slower.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Lukavi posted:

Do they still do that thing where if you kill a monster ~20ish times its gone till NGx?

Also I tried to skip over and run around in the Hyde Flame Tower place and see if I could nab some drops here and there like last time and loving LOL what happened to that place. I ran around and thought "Hey, maybe I can make it up to and open the bridge since I got all these fannies chasing me" hahahahahahaha :shepface:

I just got the achievement for dying the first time because of this exact thing :shepface:

Did not expect that!

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Alkydere posted:

I'm playing the new version, although I must've missed a shard somewhere. Anyway, good to know that's how it works. I'm trying to play relatively "blind" because I spoiled so many moments of Demon's / Dark Souls by looking up things, so I'm relying on this and one other forum to get my tips. It feels much more tense this way. Thanks for the tip about talking to Melentia, I'll do that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The new pursuer spawns are great, "Whats that noise? Ohh poo poo."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

caldrax posted:

I'm playing the new version, although I must've missed a shard somewhere. Anyway, good to know that's how it works. I'm trying to play relatively "blind" because I spoiled so many moments of Demon's / Dark Souls by looking up things, so I'm relying on this and one other forum to get my tips. It feels much more tense this way. Thanks for the tip about talking to Melentia, I'll do that.

No worries. Getting Melentia to Madula where she sells you lifestones forever is probably one of the best things you can do for quality of life because otherwise you're left just picking them up off the ground as you find them, and that's just...ugh. Especially if you're having trouble finding estus shards.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm really not bothered too much by the doubled durability loss using big weapons, what I hate about it is just that it makes some weapons borderline useless outside of pvp. In the dx9 version I couldn't even get through most boss fights without the washing pole breaking. At least the greatsword has enough durability that you can get by in pve with it as long as you're careful about it.

Smelter demon is still an rear end in a top hat lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

Smelter demon is still an rear end in a top hat lol

That's like saying "sun still rises in the east lol"

Or "ballista are still idiot magnets lol"

The fact that I still have to kite the damned Persuer into the ballista to keep 9/10 people I summon from humping the damned things is irritating. I'm sorry but as the host of this fight I'd really rather not have a 6 foot stake driven into my skull.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Alkydere posted:

Standard version had 3 shards available before Last Giant (so you could fight him with a total of 4 flasks), SotFS scrambled items around a bit so you can only find 2 (unless you know where to find a fragrant branch of yore to unfreeze the guy in the tutorial zone). Either way keep looking, you'll find them. The maximum you can get is 14 flasks, but that's not a big deal since you really are expected to rely at least partially on on lifegems. Now that you've beaten the Last Giant go talk to Hag Melentia and make sure you've finished up her dialog. She'll move to Majula and sell you infinite lifegems.

Personally since the flask animation is slower (and you're immobile during it) I mostly use Flasks outside of combat (or I know the boss isn't going to be anywhere near me for the next while). Stones tend to be my in-combat heals since the animation is faster, you can move (slowly) during it even if the actual heal is slower.

I would swear that lifegem animations last longer than flask swallowing at a decent agility. I've specifically experienced fume knight having openings long enough for a flask but too long for lifegems. Got myself killed a few times trying to save my estus through phase 1 to be full at the start of phase 2.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Where's the Shulva key?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Um, you can now get from the first to the second bonfire in Dragon Aerie/Shrine in 15 seconds. The shortcut is already unlocked.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Grasshoppers!

We are happy to announce that the wait is soon to be over.
The 64-bit update for Shadow Warrior will hit Steam next week!

The new version of the game uses either a 32-bit or a 64-bit executable and DirectX11 for Windows Vista or later. This update should give the game a significant performance boost.

The previous version of Shadow Warrior, using DirectX9 will still work on Windows XP 32-bit systems - so don't be afraid that it stops running.

We have also included an additional bossfight with Zilla (be sure to check it out!) as well as some minor bugfixes.

I will let you know when the patch goes live.

Oh no Shadow Warrior, you cant do this.
Ive been told you have to completly re-sell your game instead of patching it! For free!

quote:

Shadow Warrior Patch 1.5.0 is live!
31. März - Hashmallum
To run 1.5.0 - select the default 'Play Shadow Warrior' option when launching the game. If you want to play the previous version or you have Windows XP - please choose 'Play Shadow Warrior (Windows XP)' option.

To check your game version: enable console (by pressing ctrl+~), (now write) _version and press Enter.

Shadow Warrior Patch Notes:

Shadow Warrior 1.5.0
- Available for Windows Vista/7/8 and above.
- Added Mac OS X and Linux support.
- Added additional bossfights with Zilla in chapters 13 and 16.
- Added ingame artbook.
- Added DirectX 11 based graphics.
- Added optimization for 32 & 64-bit build.
- Added optimization for SSAO.
- Added optimization for Mirror Effects.
- Fixed many gameplay bugs and minor level bugs.
- Fixed minor bugs for pad controls.
- Fixed minor localization bugs.
- Fixed rare crash when using alt-tab.
- Fixed rare Gozu crash.
- Fixed saving weapon fx's when using non standard katana.

SHADOW WARRIOR!?
WHAT HAEV YOU DONE!!!???

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Grilox posted:

Worked for me! Thank you very much.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ive been told you have to completly re-sell your game instead of patching it! For free!

SHADOW WARRIOR!?
WHAT HAEV YOU DONE!!!???

:goonsay:

--------------

Yo, Dragon Shrine is amazing right now. Just, uh, don't summon the NPC shade in there unless you want poo poo to go down.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Yolomon Wayne posted:

SHADOW WARRIOR!?
WHAT HAEV YOU DONE!!!???

calm down you baby

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Anyone else notice an enemy just bolt off in a random direction? I am doing my first run through and have notice a few, like this guy just had to run off and join in on these guys beating the poo poo out of this tree

he's like "Oh poo poo I loving forgot!"

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 3, 2015

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
He's just doing his job killing giants.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The dogs on the way to Aldia retreat into, uh, reinforcements.

In the Huntsman's Copse there are two hollows who will run really fast away from you. They have randomized special loot if you catch them.

Someone please remind me if soul greatsword was a dlc spell.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Alkydere posted:

That's like saying "sun still rises in the east lol"

Or "ballista are still idiot magnets lol"

The fact that I still have to kite the damned Persuer into the ballista to keep 9/10 people I summon from humping the damned things is irritating. I'm sorry but as the host of this fight I'd really rather not have a 6 foot stake driven into my skull.

The way I always do that fight is host shoots, Phantoms kite. Though even then you're left hoping that the other guys figure out what you're doing and get out of the way/ don't shoot you in the face. I've gotten pretty good at that fight from both sides though

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azran posted:

The dogs on the way to Aldia retreat into, uh, reinforcements.

In the Huntsman's Copse there are two hollows who will run really fast away from you. They have randomized special loot if you catch them.

Someone please remind me if soul greatsword was a dlc spell.

Dark Greatsword was the DLC spell. Soul Greatsword (originally) came from one of the treasure rooms in Drangleic Castle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm probably very late with this question, but the cheaper upgrade option is available to add to my Steam cart even though I never bought the base game on PC. If I buy this will it be unusable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I'm probably very late with this question, but the cheaper upgrade option is available to add to my Steam cart even though I never bought the base game on PC. If I buy this will it be unusable?

Even if it isn't usable, it's still cheaper to buy a base copy (hit up someone who bought it on the steam sale) and the discounted upgrade than the full SOTFS package.