Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Captain Yossarian posted:

I keep trying to find a US release date for the drat Zenfone 2 and all my Googling has turned up is a very vague "sometime in April". Does anyone have any more info then that?

Have they said what radios it'll have? I can't find a spec sheet for the US version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443567425"]
Have they said what radios it'll have? I can't find a spec sheet for the US version.

I spent way too long looking at dodgy websites translated by google only to finally realize I should go to the source:
http://www.asus.com/Phones/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/specifications/

Asus posted:

FDD-LTE: (US)
2100MHz(1)/1900MHz(2)/1800MHz(3)/1700MHz AWS(4)/850MHz(5)/2600MHz(7)/900MHz(8)/700MHz(17)/800MHz(20)

The one I see missing 12 which is T-Mobile's new lower frequency LTE channel.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I spent way too long looking at dodgy websites translated by google only to finally realize I should go to the source:

Beat me to it! It looks like an honest to goodness US model, not just an Unlocked GSM with some T-Mobile/AT&T LTE

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

PHA means "Potentially Harmful App"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Don't root and don't install non-play store apps!!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't root and don't install non-play store apps!!
But I'm a power user!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
:shepface: - "Or just install antivirus."

:shepface:

:shepface: :shepicide:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Those cron jobs aren't going to run themselves.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Weird I couldn't find that when I went through my googled Asus link. Based on that, I don't see 1700 hspa support for T-Mobile either.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
My Z3c arrived today and I love it. Great size, really snappy and the battery seems to be pretty great. The only problem I have: is there any way to disable the startup sound of the camera app when I launch it with the camera button? I have disabled all sounds and the phone is one quiet setting but it still plays the annoying start up sound.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm trying out the Galaxy S 6 Edge at Best Buy and it's really loving niiiiiice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm trying out the Galaxy S 6 Edge at Best Buy and it's really loving niiiiiice.

It's really disgustingly good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Popelmon posted:

My Z3c arrived today and I love it. Great size, really snappy and the battery seems to be pretty great. The only problem I have: is there any way to disable the startup sound of the camera app when I launch it with the camera button? I have disabled all sounds and the phone is one quiet setting but it still plays the annoying start up sound.

Are you holding the dedicated camera button down? Mine doesn't/hasn't made a sound ever.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Popelmon posted:

Camera>Settings>Upskirt Mode

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Camera>Settings>Upskirt Mode

Lol. He is careful to say "startup sound" but we know that's code for the drat shutter click.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

butt dickus posted:

So where did you get this and what did the source mean by 'potentially harmful app'?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

hotsauce posted:

Lol. He is careful to say "startup sound" but we know that's code for the drat shutter click.

Oh no, I got rid of the shutter click :cool:. There is just an annoying sound when I start the camera app with the camera button.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

So where did you get this and what did the source mean by 'potentially harmful app'?

Straight from the horses's mouth.

https://static.googleusercontent.co...eport_Final.pdf

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Can anyone set reminders with Google Now right now? ("hey google now, remind me to do something tomorrow")

I've been trying for a couple of hours and it just keeps telling me that it "Can't reach Google at the moment".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Can anyone set reminders with Google Now right now? ("hey google now, remind me to do something tomorrow")

I've been trying for a couple of hours and it just keeps telling me that it "Can't reach Google at the moment".

I just tried it and it worked fine.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

ThermoPhysical posted:

Definitely my next Android device. I just wish battery tests were a little more robust. For every 3 reviews I read that say the battery is kinda lovely there are 3 more that say it out lasts the Note4 by 20 minutes. I didn't have a note 4, but I am to believe it was one of the best battery wise on the market. Some reviews are saying the M9 battery is good, others say it's poo poo too. It's really just a pain in the rear end. All I know is my M7 has been off charger for 13hrs 13mins and 25 seconds and I have 38% left on the battery under what I would call normal usage. Texts calls throughout the day, 2hrs of spotify at the gym etc.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've had an S6 edge for about 3 weeks and also have a Note 4. The S6's battery isn't as good as a Note 4 and anyone who says it does last as long is a liar. That being said, it's plenty good enough and charges ridiculously fast.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

One of my coworkers has the s6 edge and the battery life according to him is not great. He is coming from and Xperia Z3 and has been spoiled. He says it's not to big of a deal cause the phone charges from 1% to 100% in about an hour.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I need to use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuneecu&hl=en
"Requires Android
4.0 and up"
What is the cheapest device I can buy used for this purpose?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BlackMK4 posted:

I need to use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuneecu&hl=en
"Requires Android
4.0 and up"

Moto E

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If only the market could be used in the emulated environment. I actually only need to buy the app, download it, and get the APK. I need to decompile it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

"Requires Android
4.0 and up"

Buy a Blu branded phone for under $100 on Amazon.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

If only the market could be used in the emulated environment. I actually only need to buy the app, download it, and get the APK. I need to decompile it.

Use Bluestacks?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

You don't know anyone with an Android phone?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
If you absolutely needed a device with a 2k screen, which would you get? The G3 is currently the cheapest, but I do love my upgrades and would pay for a Nexus 6...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The Nexus 6 or Droid Turbo depending on your carrier.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

DemonMage posted:

The Nexus 6 or Droid Turbo depending on your carrier.

I believe the droid turbo works everywhere (US) except Sprint.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I lost my phone (HTC One M8) a few weeks back and didn't have any sort of insurance. I have been using a super old, super beat up, and super horrible Samsung Charge, whose name seems to mean it constantly needs a charge. I have wanted to get a new phone but they all seem pretty expensive.

I was originally considering getting a used or refurbished HTC One M8, but didn't like the idea of the crapshoot that might end up. However, since Motorola has a great deal with the 2nd Gen Moto X (posted here a couple pages back), which is only marginally more than most M8's seem to be going for used, I figure I will probably spring for that. Is there any reason to spend the extra $50 to get more storage? I would bet that the extra storage is unnecessary unless you like to take and keep a ton of pictures on your phone, since they all go to Google's Cloud anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gripen5 posted:

Is there any reason to spend the extra $50 to get more storage? I would bet that the extra storage is unnecessary unless you like to take and keep a ton of pictures on your phone, since they all go to Google's Cloud anyway.

You have had smartphones before, how much space did you use? 16 GB gets pretty tight from normal camera/video use, installing games, storing music locally, etc. Also the resale value will reflect the storage amount, so even if you keep it for 2-3 years, you will probably get most of that $50 back.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

RVProfootballer posted:

You have had smartphones before, how much space did you use? 16 GB gets pretty tight from normal camera/video use, installing games, storing music locally, etc. Also the resale value will reflect the storage amount, so even if you keep it for 2-3 years, you will probably get most of that $50 back.

I had 32 GB in both the Charge and the M8 and never really seemed to use all that much. In the 8 months I had it, I think I was approaching having 80% of storage free in the M8. However, your resale point makes perfect sense and unlike the last two phones, its not like I can upgrade the memory on this one if I decide its not enough. Thanks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Eremys posted:

Don't know if you're talking about turbo charging but I have both an iPhone and a nexus 6. The iPhone does support high capacity charging when using the iPad charger or the quick charger . They just don't advertise it and its a tiny bit slower than the Qualcomm variety.

The iPhone 6 has a small enough battery to which it almost doesn't even matter. The 6 plus though, no idea.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Android/Google is doing some really weird poo poo lately.

Yesterday evening I wanted to play some music by using Google Now.
It went and started a Radio based on the song I wanted it to play, but not the song itself.

Then today at 6:00am my phone started to play the song I actually wanted to play yesterday.
No alarm was set, it just started blaring the song at 6:00am sharp.

On my day off.
Thank you, Google.

Trusted places is also not working at all.
Requiring two unlocking gestures to even check for notification icons is a pain in the rear end, too.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

mcbexx posted:

Then today at 6:00am my phone started to play the song I actually wanted to play yesterday.
No alarm was set, it just started blaring the song at 6:00am sharp.

Last week, my phone decided to autoplay this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFoUboFyPk

from my Google Music account, while I was attending a lunchtime seminar with like 100 work colleagues in the room.

F..gently caress you Google?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BlackMK4 posted:

If you truly just need the phone to download the app:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-ZTE-Zinger-Smartphone/39150771

Note: I can't recall if you need to be rooted to grab an APK. If you do you might want to just buy a used Nexus 7 (2012). They should be well under $100 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

BlackMK4 posted:

You can modify genymotion to enable market support.