Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Vicissitude posted:

I liked the first two. They're nothing special but I do check every now and again to see if the third one has been announced.

The third one has been out for like...three years. Here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm trying to read Alex Verus and so far it feels like a complete Dresden ripoff, up to the protagonist's past. Except this guy's specialty seem to be having access to the script. Does it ever get interesting?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Does it ever get interesting?

That is a matter of opinion I guess. I will say that the first book is absolutely the weakest. The subsequent books are much better written. I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that its a Dresden ripoff though.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

It's more of a home game of dungeons and dragons journal than a dresden ripoff.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Anias posted:

It's more of a home game of dungeons and dragons journal than a dresden ripoff.

I don't know about dungeons and dragons but he's definitely a fan of Ico.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Benny the Snake posted:

Well, not a wizard hat anyway

If this was anyone else I'd figure it was a feeble joke, but since it's you, Benny, I feel the urge to explain that he doesn't wear any kind of hat and every single book cover has been lying to us from the beginning. He makes jokes about it in the books many times.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Martello posted:

If this was anyone else I'd figure it was a feeble joke, but since it's you, Benny, I feel the urge to explain that he doesn't wear any kind of hat and every single book cover has been lying to us from the beginning. He makes jokes about it in the books many times.

... poo poo. You just made me realise this. :arghfist::mad:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

darth cookie posted:

I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that its a Dresden ripoff though.
Possibly by the protagonist having literally the same backstory regarding his apprenticeship. The rest I guess chould be chalked up to genre convention but this is pretty obvious. Hell, there's even an Elaine. And a Council. Except this time magic is color-coded for convenience.

That being said, getting to meet a giant spider living in Hampstead Heath kind of rekindled the interest so I guess I'll try to soldier on.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I just started Alex Verus also and I'm like all of three chapters in, and yeah, it feels similar.

Guy has a magic business and that's a rare thing in a world of secret magic.
Guy was apprenticed to an evil bad magician.
There's an over-watching council and it's willing to throw people to the wolves for its own devices.

Other than that, it feels like things work mechanically differently though. Urban Fantasy always feels pretty similar for the most part anyway, so the devil is in the details.

For my money, I hope it gets away from "...so I looked into the future and..." every three paragraphs. It's a far bit better than Iron Druid so far, so I'm enjoying it.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

It gets better. Just stick with it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

darth cookie posted:

I don't know about dungeons and dragons but he's definitely a fan of Ico.

If you played D&D anytime in the last 20 years, his entire suite of effects are immediately recognizable even if the names have been changed minimally. It's fun to read but it's not new material by any stretch.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mortanis posted:

For my money, I hope it gets away from "...so I looked into the future and..." every three paragraphs. It's a far bit better than Iron Druid so far, so I'm enjoying it.

You know, for the longest time I didn't regret reading Iron Druid, I just regretted paying for it. Recently I've come to regret both.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Thunderfinger posted:

It gets better. Just stick with it.

I've finished the first two books, but they leave me pretty disinterested. Do they pick up at all or just keep following the same formula?

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

I've finished the first two books, but they leave me pretty disinterested. Do they pick up at all or just keep following the same formula?

I think it gets more interesting, but if its not doing anything for you then just drop it. No point in going on if you don't like it.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

I quite liked the Alex Verus-series, but the books are all pretty much the same in terms of quality and style. If you didn't like the first two, you're probably not going to like the rest any better.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Thanks for the replies, in that case I'll probably just skip the rest. Can't really give any reasons except that nothing about them really hooked me.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Martello posted:

Not true, he wears the baseball cap he stole from the Red Cap in Cold Days.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

immoral_ posted:

Not true, he wears the baseball cap he stole from the Red Cap in Cold Days.

gently caress, you're right.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Martello posted:

Martello, are you Santa Claus the NSA?

Seriously, Skippy, which is worse, me admitting I wasn't paying attention, or you admitting you have bad worse taste in reading? I'll let you decide.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 4, 2015

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Ornamented Death posted:

The third one has been out for like...three years. Here.

My bad. I guess I meant 4th one. Somehow I sort of mashed the first two books together :s

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey, what the heck is sad puppies and why is it a big deal that Jim Butcher got nominated for a Hugo? I would think Jim would of allready been nominated for a hugo>?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exmond posted:

Hey, what the heck is sad puppies and why is it a big deal that Jim Butcher got nominated for a Hugo? I would think Jim would of allready been nominated for a hugo>?

My understanding isn't that Butcher in particular is the issue but that this was a concentrated push by a group of voters to deliberately exclude women or people of color as a pushback to "SJW" and "not true fans" and other Ethics In Fantasy Writing bullshit. Butcher is one of the ones they chose but I think that's the sum total of his involvement with it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Urban fantasy doesn't get nominated for Hugo, unless it's by Seanan loving McGuire.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Megazver posted:

Urban fantasy doesn't get nominated for Hugo, unless it's by Seanan loving McGuire.

Well.. I mean I like her books. I prefer Dresden Files over October daye but that's just my opinion. Its a shame that Dresden has never been nominated! I mean his books are sold world wide and they are great!

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding isn't that Butcher in particular is the issue but that this was a concentrated push by a group of voters to deliberately exclude women or people of color as a pushback to "SJW" and "not true fans" and other Ethics In Fantasy Writing bullshit. Butcher is one of the ones they chose but I think that's the sum total of his involvement with it.

There's no way that can be true is it? That's extremely racist, how would you get people to agree to that?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Exmond posted:

There's no way that can be true is it? That's extremely racist, how would you get people to agree to that?

They roped in gamergate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exmond posted:

By coaching it in the language of "these SJWs are ruining our hobby and are not true fans, it isn't about race or gender."

As I said though as far as I know (which could be off), Butcher didn't have anything to do with it except get nominated.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 7, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basically a bunch of people got together and organized a five vote slate, which is a great piece of game theory.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Exmond posted:

ImpAtom posted:

By coaching it in the language of "these SJWs are ruining our hobby and are not true fans, it isn't about race or gender."

On the other hand, considering Sad Puppies backs Vox Day/Theodore Beale, the only author kicked out of the SFWA for being too big a racist rear end in a top hat to tolerate, I have a hard time believing that race/gender isn't a factor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

On the other hand, considering Sad Puppies backs Vox Day/Theodore Beale, the only author kicked out of the SFWA for being too big a racist rear end in a top hat to tolerate, I have a hard time believing that race/gender isn't a factor.

Oh, I'm not saying it is. Just that is how they phrase it.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Oh, Larry Correia. There's a big loving surprise.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much. We are talking about a group of people out to push authoritarian white supremacist ideals in science fiction and fantasy. This is being done through campaigns of intimidation, setting up net loss publishing houses to flood professional organizations with ideologically minded members, personal threats, swamping award slates, pressuring conventions, and coordinating with similar elements like gamergate to do all of the above.

The two previous attempts at straight packing it with their agenda got beat, hard. So for this one they tossed in a few others in some categories so that when one of those won they could claim "victory" and push forward. This is how you get the difference between the Best Novel picks (which has so good stuff there) and Best Novella (which is packed with John C Wright).

The non assholes were supposedly asked if they were ok with being on the slate or not. Butcher agreed to be on there because, per Stross, who was with him at Eastercon when this came out, he doesn't think the slate having a winner will matter that much if the winner isn't their brand of poo poo. Stross thinks Butcher is underestimating the danger of encouraging this group.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stross is right.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ornamented Death posted:

Stross is right.

Yep.

To clarify, when I say "personal threats" and "campaign of intimidation" I mean threatening to shoot NK Jesmine if she goes to a convention and sending her a picture of your gun and bullets. This isn't "idiot channers", these are other authors.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That sounds like the plot of a really bad book and not something that would really happen. WTF is wrong with people?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ika posted:

That sounds like the plot of a really bad book and not something that would really happen. WTF is wrong with people?

A group of nerds who previously took comfort in having a niche that catered exclusively to them and like-minded people are finding themselves increasingly marginalized as society changes around them. They lash out not realizing that while they may have short-term successes they do more damage to themselves in the long run.

Age old story, new actors.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Turning down the nom would have been the noble thing to do, but is a big ask for someone who's never won or even been nominated before. The Hugo isn't a big deal in the wider world but still has an aura inside SFF, which is why the scheme was hatched in the first place.

He's not going to win though, for better or worse. There's a big backlash against the puppy slates and he's going up against Ann 'won nearly every SF award with her debut novel' Leckie, a fandom favourite if there ever was one.

(he can console himself with selling more than everything else on the shortlist combined outside the movie/TV categories)

e: I stand corrected but think the generalities still hold.

Peel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Peel posted:

Turning down the nom would have been the noble thing to do, but is a big ask for someone who's never won or even been nominated before. The Hugo isn't a big deal in the wider world but still has an aura inside SFF, which is why the scheme was hatched in the first place.

He was nominated for a Hugo before actually, just not in this category. He got nominated for Best Graphic Novel previously.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

All I heard about the entire thing before was a comment somewhere saying that books should be nominated base on the quality of the book, and not just because the author fulfills some criteria. Sendng pictures of guns to people seems like there was quite a bit of information missing.

Personally I would prefer the award going to a lesser known author, I think jim butcher has sold enough books to not need the extra attention. (To paraphrase what pterry said about never winning one)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sad Puppy or w/e is awful, just let it go at that and don't breed more angry thought germs. In the grand scheme of things, talking about them is pointless and distracts from the reformable issues at hand.

Peel posted:

He's not going to win though, for better or worse. There's a big backlash against the puppy slates and he's going up against Ann 'won nearly every SF award with her debut novel' Leckie, a fandom favourite if there ever was one.

(he can console himself with selling more than everything else on the shortlist combined outside the movie/TV categories)

This is the larger part of the problem and the reason that the SP stuff worked to the extent it did.

The Hugo no longer reflects a majority of the SFF readership, which has grown beyond the worldcon demographic. It should move to a non-convention ballot, establish a different funding source, and a better nomination path. Without those changes it's going to continue to be manipulated. That the particular people manipulating it this year are shitbags isn't nearly as important as the scope and vulnerability to vote attack issues which will be abused going forward.

It's time to reform the Hugo, and that means detaching it from worldcon, or Retire it. SFF isn't a niche of convention goers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It seems to be doing a pretty good job of retiring itself. I honestly doubt anyone is going to take it seriously after all the controversy this year.