Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

The story goes Jesus took our sins, died, and freed us from them by taking them with him to the sin vault or something. It's the whole sacrifice thing.

Shoulda gone into a Vault-Tec brand Vault. Safe and Secure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Joementum posted:

How to make a cocktail, according to the US Department of Agriculture Forrest Service, 1974.

That is amazing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

How to make a cocktail, according to the US Department of Agriculture Forrest Service, 1974.

quote:

NOTE: Pour each ingred. slowly over rounded side of tsp. or down a glass rod. If liquids mix while pouring use alternate name.

:allears:

Now we just need a couple Republicans decrying such spurious government spending on something only D&D would love and we're all set.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

See, this poo poo. I see no way this can make sense. That it makes sense has to be taken as a given and then everything can build from there if it has to. No sir, I don't like it.

According to the story, god is forgiving, but also just. He can't just ignore humanity's rejection of him. Instead, the Great Accountant built in a loophole that lets us write off our debts. All we need to do is accept his divine tax advice.

Atheists refuse to file their taxes, and will face a great audit upon their death.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Adam and Eve sinned (by seeking knowledge) and because of that, all of their descendants (everyone) would be born with that sin on their souls.

Angry Old Testament God (TM) proceeds to destroy the world/towns several times for their sins. AOTG punishes people left and right for their sins. If you sacrificed something important, AOTG would call it even. This goes on for a few millennia.

Nice New Testament God (TM) has a change of heart and sends his son (or himself incarnate) to check out this world on a human level( or possibly the specific purpose of dying). Jesus spreads his good news and is sacrificed for it (remnants of AOTG).

His death took away the original sin of Adam and Eve. But to make sure that you are able to use that sacrifice as your "get out of jail free" card, you must live your life "for Jesus" (which really depends on the individual as to what that means).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfolme posted:

See, this poo poo. I see no way this can make sense. That it makes sense has to be taken as a given and then everything can build from there if it has to. No sir, I don't like it.

I'm not any sort of expert on catechism besides being raised Catholic, but my understanding is that it's a sacrifice because at no point did Jesus need to die. The Pharisees were right: He could've taken himself down from that cross any time he wanted and made everyone pay for their intransigence, but the fact that he didn't and even forgave us for what we did to him is what makes Jesus' death so significant.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

For the highball I think I'll go with a bourbon mix. :getin:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Adam and Eve sinned (by seeking knowledge) and because of that, all of their descendants (everyone) would be born with that sin on their souls.

Angry Old Testament God (TM) proceeds to destroy the world/towns several times for their sins. AOTG punishes people left and right for their sins. If you sacrificed something important, AOTG would call it even. This goes on for a few millennia.

Nice New Testament God (TM) has a change of heart and sends his son (or himself incarnate) to check out this world on a human level( or possibly the specific purpose of dying). Jesus spreads his good news and is sacrificed for it (remnants of AOTG).

His death took away the original sin of Adam and Eve. But to make sure that you are able to use that sacrifice as your "get out of jail free" card, you must live your life "for Jesus" (which really depends on the individual as to what that means).

It always seemed to me like the resurrection kinda undermines the whole thing. Like wow god, thanks for sacrificing your son for three days and then taking him right back

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It always seemed to me like the resurrection kinda undermines the whole thing. Like wow god, thanks for sacrificing your son for three days and then taking him right back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62cZD9Qi4I

Keanu Christ.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Michael Jackson posted:

A small correction here. According to what is written Jesus presented the sacrifice later when he was in heaven. Unless one prescribe to the whole Jesus is literally God the almighty belief then it is very confusing.

So what you are saying is that the Arians were correct.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If you think about it AOTG transitioned into NNTG after banging some dude's wife.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DemeaninDemon posted:

If you think about it AOTG transitioned into NNTG after banging some dude's wife.
So AOTG is basically a bitter virgin neet.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

high six posted:

So what you are saying is that the Arians were correct.

The belief in a trinity or not is up to each ones personal beliefs. I personally believe that the God of the old and new testament is the same.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Well, the main thing about Arianism is not that the Old and New Testament Gods were the same or not, but whether God the Father was of the same substance as God the Son. If you want to be a proper Catholic, though, there isn't any wiggle room and a lot of people died fighting over this sort of thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Totally normal thing Tom Cotton does: buys grocery store birthday cakes and eats them every day.

quote:

You have been described as having very little appetite for frivolity. Do you have any guilty pleasures? I run a lot every morning.

That sounds neither guilty nor pleasurable. But I do it so I can indulge in the guilty pleasure of eating birthday cake.

Every day? Most days, with ice cream. Early on, when my wife and I were dating, we went to the grocery store, and I told her that sometimes I just buy birthday cakes, and I eat them. And she said: “Really? I do, too.”

Even if it’s not somebody’s birthday? Yes. She went to the grocery store yesterday and picked up a white birthday cake.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

So AOTG is basically a bitter virgin neet.

Complete with neck beard and fedora.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

That is the least disturbing thing about him. And it's pretty drat disturbing.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm just amazed Cotton managed to answer an entire question without bringing up Iran.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DaveWoo posted:

I'm just amazed Cotton managed to answer an entire question without bringing up Iran.

He did, he just used the present tense.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

:vince:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Everblight posted:

Shoulda gone into a Vault-Tec brand Vault. Safe and Secure!

Modern times require a modern solution: store it in the Bitcoin blockchain.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plain white sheet cake is the most boring and offensive desert ever made, gross.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

mcmagic posted:

That is the least disturbing thing about him. And it's pretty drat disturbing.

He also makes his wife and anyone else in the vicinity sing Happy Birthday to him before he eats. Otherwise it's just regular cake, you see.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Luigi Thirty posted:

We're all hosed.
see: title of climate change thread.

read: the end result of globalization.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FCKGW posted:

Plain white sheet cake is the most boring and offensive desert ever made, gross.

If he needs a sugar rush so badly I honestly think I would look down on him less if he just ate sugar packets.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If he needs a sugar rush so badly I honestly think I would look down on him less if he just ate sugar packets.

The classic Leslie Knope

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

Secret code. :ninja:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Neville Chamberlain got a better deal from Adolf Hitler." ~ Senator Mark Kirk.

Kirk represents his constituency well. Seems to me Kirk is one of the few good Republicans in the Senate.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He could at least go for the ice cream cakes or something more interesting.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Kirk represents his constituency well. Seems to me Kirk is one of the few good Republicans in the Senate.

I really hope Duckworth takes the seat.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hey Joe I've been meaning to ask but it's been slipping my mind, what's your opinion on the education bill that just passed the VT House? From what I've been able to glean from news sources it's looking primarily to consolidate school districts, which strikes me as a non-terrible idea since the state really does have a lot of ones that are too small to effectively educate kids, but on the other hand I hear phrases such as "cut costs and reduce property taxes while providing opportunities for children," which always makes me suspicious that it might be just another mask for cutting public school funding.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Holy poo poo people in this thread are defeatist. Things can change, and particularly in times of crisis things can change quite quickly. A better world isn't going to be easy, but it's definitely possible and worth fighting for. People have been slowly improving their world for literally millennia; what makes you think that the problems we face are in any way special?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One lobby is already 100% Ready for Hillary, but are we going to be ready for what she will reveal?

quote:

Stephen Bassett is ready for Hillary. Bassett, Capitol Hill's only registered UFO lobbyist, anticipates that another Clinton presidency will offer another shot at what's long been the Holy Grail for extraterrestrial enthusiasts: full disclosure of what the US government really knows about aliens. "This is the most important issue in the world," he says.

His enthusiasm is shared by Michael Salla, an academic turned UFO researcher who maintains that aliens have been secretly involved in American politics since the Cold War. He thinks a Clinton presidency would be a good thing for the UFO community. "I think Hillary would play a positive role in getting this information out," he says. "I think that Hillary definitely is much more the pro-disclosure candidate, where as someone like Jeb Bush is basically status quo."

This is not the first time the Clintons have been involved in the search for The Truth.

quote:

In August 1995, [Laurence] Rockefeller met with Hillary Clinton, and perhaps Bill, at his Wyoming ranch. In a memo, the then-director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, Jack Gibbons, warned the Clintons about Rockefeller's agenda before the visit. "[Rockefeller] will want to talk with you about his interest in extrasensory perception, paranormal phenomena, and UFO's," he wrote. Gibbons said he'd tried to persuade Rockefeller "not to bother you with this issue" and to focus instead on the administration's science and technology policies. Rockefeller, he continued, "knows that we are trying to be helpful in responding to his concerns about UFO's [sic] and human potential—and that we're keeping an open mind about such matters—but I've made no secret about my conviction that we must not be too diverted from more earthly imperatives." Gibbons could not be reached for comment.

Bassett says the Rockefeller Initiative proves that the Clintons were interested in pursuing meaningful UFO and extraterrestrial disclosure. "You don't go through all of this, and have this much work, just to amuse a billionaire," he says. "If you did, you'd have to answer to that." Bassett has been lobbying for congressional hearings on the question of UFO contact with the US government. He says that forcing the Clintons to discuss the Rockefeller Initiative is key to his strategy. "I call it the exopolitical blue dress," he says, referring to Monica Lewinsky's infamous blue dress and "exopolitics," a term for the intersection of terrestrial politics and extraterrestrial beings.

This would be a welcome change from the current administration, which only jokes (or are they joking?!?) about aliens.

quote:

Salla, who has claimed that humans are currently in touch with 17 extraterrestrial civilizations, says that Hillary Clinton's return is another indicator that the truth is coming. He cites Jimmy Kimmel's recent interview with President Obama, in which the president quipped that he hasn't delved into the government's UFO files because "the aliens won't let it happen. You'd reveal all their secrets. They exercise strict control over us."

Where most people heard a punch line, Salla discerned a direct link to Podesta and perhaps something deeper. "The fact that he said aliens exert strict control over us—no president has ever said that before, even as a joke," Salla says. "Obama said things that shouldn't just be assumed to be throwaway lines. A senior adviser a month before said he was frustrated by a lack of progress and now you have Obama on Jimmy Kimmel saying that. I think it's worth raising the question."

Clearly, these guys want to believe... in Hillary.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

quote:

"You don't go through all of this, and have this much work, just to amuse a billionaire,"

:ironicat:

Yes, yes you do. You whore out your boss to amuse a billionaire. You take calls at 3am to listen to rambles about UFO's to amuse a billionaire. You eat poo poo to amuse a billionaire. What the gently caress kinda lobbyist is this guy?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VikingofRock posted:

Holy poo poo people in this thread are defeatist. Things can change, and particularly in times of crisis things can change quite quickly. A better world isn't going to be easy, but it's definitely possible and worth fighting for. People have been slowly improving their world for literally millennia; what makes you think that the problems we face are in any way special?

the climate issues we're currently facing are pretty clearly categorically worse than anything faced by humanity at any other time in history. like by orders of magnitude. and the people who need to be on board with fixing it almost exclusively aren't. also the world is definitely not improving for the vast majority of people at this particular moment in time

I too believe that change can happen and do so rapidly, but pretending that the facts don't tell us things are historically awful is naive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

:ironicat:

Yes, yes you do. You whore out your boss to amuse a billionaire. You take calls at 3am to listen to rambles about UFO's to amuse a billionaire. You eat poo poo to amuse a billionaire. What the gently caress kinda lobbyist is this guy?
That was the funniest bit to me as well

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

VikingofRock posted:

I'm alive to bear witness to them. :colbert:

Gravel Gravy posted:

You're an inspiration to us all.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheQat posted:

the climate issues we're currently facing are pretty clearly categorically worse than anything faced by humanity at any other time in history. like by orders of magnitude. and the people who need to be on board with fixing it almost exclusively aren't. also the world is definitely not improving for the vast majority of people at this particular moment in time

I too believe that change can happen and do so rapidly, but pretending that the facts don't tell us things are historically awful is naive.

Climate Change: Worse than Hitler? More on this climate alarmist at 5, Sean.

It won't be the worst thing to ever happen of human making. It will merely change the world and force us to come to terms with our power and depravity.

JT Jag posted:

That was the funniest bit to me as well

Its almost as if this guy has never had to go through the hoops it takes to appease a billionaire and get their money wired directly into your accounts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hey Joe I've been meaning to ask but it's been slipping my mind, what's your opinion on the education bill that just passed the VT House? From what I've been able to glean from news sources it's looking primarily to consolidate school districts, which strikes me as a non-terrible idea since the state really does have a lot of ones that are too small to effectively educate kids, but on the other hand I hear phrases such as "cut costs and reduce property taxes while providing opportunities for children," which always makes me suspicious that it might be just another mask for cutting public school funding.

I basically agree. For people who don't know, Vermont has nearly 300 school districts, which is clearly unsustainable, and the bill would require the smaller ones to merge so that the minimum district size is 1,100 students. That's going to inevitably mean some redundancies and loss of full local control over education decisions, but the bigger problem with it is the (delayed for one year) spending cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

What the gently caress kinda lobbyist is this guy?

A UFO lobbyist. I think that sufficiently explains it.

• Locked thread