Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

BlackCircle posted:

I feel like an idiot for asking this question but here goes.

Single male in PA still living at home. I have never filed a state tax return before mostly because it cost money to do on the e-file sites. I guess the main question I'm asking is if I'm throwing money away here not getting a return or if I'm even eligible for a return? Is there any way to find this out or is there a separate form I need to get to actually see what my state tax was like?

God I feel like a loving moron asking this question but I don't wanna shove 10-15 bucks down to efile a state tax return and get nothing.

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/OnlineServices/PersonalIncomeTaxe-Services/Pages/File-My-Taxes-%28PA-e-File%29.aspx#.VRFJquGJJ9k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

BlackCircle posted:

I feel like an idiot for asking this question but here goes.

Single male in PA still living at home. I have never filed a state tax return before mostly because it cost money to do on the e-file sites. I guess the main question I'm asking is if I'm throwing money away here not getting a return or if I'm even eligible for a return? Is there any way to find this out or is there a separate form I need to get to actually see what my state tax was like?

God I feel like a loving moron asking this question but I don't wanna shove 10-15 bucks down to efile a state tax return and get nothing.

I just prepare my state return in whatever software I'm using that year, and then I print it out and mail it to my state's Department of Revenue. That way I only pay 2 stamps instead of $15 or whatever.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Odd question but I figured you are all able to help me out.

Wife forgot to pay taxes last year, we finished it up, paper mailed it on Monday and I'm ready to submit this years taxes. Given that she doesn't have a E-File pin or whatever is needed to continue with the tax return, I know that we can use the adjusted gross income of last years taxes as well, which I have handy.

So the question I have is: where it says "E-File pin or AGI" Should I just report that she didn't pay taxes, or just put the AGI even though it's most likely not in the IRS system? I don't mind waiting a week to file if need be, but I'd rather it not throw up a bunch of red flags and delay a bunch of processing, and I don't know if you write a 0 down on the paperwork it's an automatic "well she probably didn't do em lets audit the gently caress outta these people" ordeal.

I know that they say paper filing takes 4-6 weeks to process, which is why I'm wondering if I should just write it down as a zero and then cross my fingers..

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Question about filing status. Me and my fiancée disagree about this but I'm starting to think she's right. We live with my mother who owns the house, and our 15 month old son. I'm wondering about the part where it says you have to pay for your home. I give my mom money when I can but I definitely don't pay much towards the house.

I have a couple people telling me that it doesn't matter, and that since I have a son I would still file as head of household. If anyone could clear this up I would be very grateful!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

zeldadude posted:

Question about filing status. Me and my fiancée disagree about this but I'm starting to think she's right. We live with my mother who owns the house, and our 15 month old son. I'm wondering about the part where it says you have to pay for your home. I give my mom money when I can but I definitely don't pay much towards the house.

I have a couple people telling me that it doesn't matter, and that since I have a son I would still file as head of household. If anyone could clear this up I would be very grateful!
First google result for "IRS head of household": http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2014_publink1000220775

quote:

You may be able to file as head of household if you meet all the following requirements.

1) You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. See Marital Status , earlier, and Considered Unmarried , later.

2) You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

3) A qualifying person lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the qualifying person is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you. See Special rule for parent , later, under Qualifying Person.
From your post, it sounds like you don't meet #2. Also, you really poorly worded your post, so I could be misunderstanding what you're asking. I read it as you asking if you qualify for head of household.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

SiGmA_X posted:

First google result for "IRS head of household": http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2014_publink1000220775
From your post, it sounds like you don't meet #2. Also, you really poorly worded your post, so I could be misunderstanding what you're asking. I read it as you asking if you qualify for head of household.

Oops, yeah I was not very clear, I see that now. That's exactly what I was asking. Sorry about that. And I figured I didn't meet #2 but I had two people telling me otherwise so I figured I would ask here and check. Thanks though.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

zeldadude posted:

Oops, yeah I was not very clear, I see that now. That's exactly what I was asking. Sorry about that. And I figured I didn't meet #2 but I had two people telling me otherwise so I figured I would ask here and check. Thanks though.
Check back tomorrow for some of the 'tax pros' advice, but from how I read the IRS publication, you don't qualify. Now, you may never get caught which is what these two people are really meaning, but that isn't the same thing as legally qualifying, and I wouldn't risk it myself.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, Mint.com is suggesting I open an IRA to lower my taxes for this past year (gotta pay in about $1500). I hardly even know what an IRA is other than some kind of retirement fund. I'm a 27 year old bartender. Is there a good idea in this somehow?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

89 posted:

So, Mint.com is suggesting I open an IRA to lower my taxes for this past year (gotta pay in about $1500). I hardly even know what an IRA is other than some kind of retirement fund. I'm a 27 year old bartender. Is there a good idea in this somehow?

It depends, how do you feel about eating cat food in retirement? An IRA is a very good idea, and the bare minimum of retirement savings should be maxing one out each and every year. If you have the money to max out your IRA for 2014, you can contribute it now, and assuming you're in the 15% tax bracket, you can save roughly $800 in taxes this year. There are also Roth IRAs, which may make a great deal of sense for you as well. You have a decent learning curve ahead of you to make intelligent decisions in this area, but for now, open a Vanguard account and contribute as much as you can to a new IRA for tax year 2014 in a Target Retirement 2060 fund and you won't regret it a decade from now.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

AbbiTheDog posted:

OH MY GOD. I don't know about the rest of you preparers, but this year sucks rear end.

Pretty much!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I'm a Canadian citizen with significant retirement savings who'll be relocating to the USA next year. I will likely continue to work for my current (Canadian) employer. If it matters, my retirement savings are currently approximately 30% TFSA and 70% RRSP (TFSA appreciation is tax free, RRSP appreciation is tax deferred). What kind of tax implications do I need to be prepared for? Am I safe just declaring my employment income plus any withdrawals from my retirement accounts or will the IRS consider my Canadian retirement vehicles to be income?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I sold some ESPP shares the day after I received them (thanks, sick lookback window provision!) for a profit of ~$2,800 (difference between what I paid for the shares and what I sold them for).

I know that I'm not eligible for that tax perk that kicks in when you hold the shares for awhile, but that just means I pay normal income (wage) taxes on that money, right? TaxACT told me I owed ~50+% in taxes after I entered in my 1099-B *and* told it that my W-2 did not report the discount income - but I don't think that's right, the 1099-B reflects all the profit I made. Right?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

I'm a Canadian citizen with significant retirement savings who'll be relocating to the USA next year. I will likely continue to work for my current (Canadian) employer. If it matters, my retirement savings are currently approximately 30% TFSA and 70% RRSP (TFSA appreciation is tax free, RRSP appreciation is tax deferred). What kind of tax implications do I need to be prepared for? Am I safe just declaring my employment income plus any withdrawals from my retirement accounts or will the IRS consider my Canadian retirement vehicles to be income?

You shouldn't have any problems as long as you file your US taxes and report any money you take out of it.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
I live in California. I got interest this past year from investments in a company that is located in Massachusetts. I am using turbotax to pay my taxes. I added a 1099-INT for the interest in the federal portion of turbotax. When I get to the state section, it keeps excluding the $ amount I put in the 1099-int from the Massachusetts file and is only letting me pay federal and CA taxes on it. I was fairly certain that I have MA taxes to pay since it was interest earned in MA.

Which is correct?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Legacyspy posted:

Which is correct?

Interest income is allocable to the state of domicile, which is CA.

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
I got a letter from the IRS stating that I never filed my 2011 taxes. This came as a surprise to me; at the time, I was married, and my husband did the taxes. He didn't let me look at the computer when he was typing our information into his HR block account, and he locked up our financial stuff in his computer desk. He was six years older than me and I had never filed so I just assumed he knew what he was doing (also no matter what I said, he wouldn't let me see anything. Like, he minimized the window if I walked by his computer). We divorced May 2014 for reasons you may have guessed, and since it was a rather bad divorce, I have no contact info of his and don't know his whereabouts.

How should I file? I was able to get my W2 from 2011 and I know my student loan interest info, but I have no idea about anything of his. I did call the IRS and a grumpy man told me to get a lawyer or file MFS or file Single. He basically hung up on me. I am imagining though that I can't just pick one or the other? Also, if I had to file MFS, would I likely be able to get the Innocent Spouse relief for the penalties?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why do I have to pay NYS taxes on all of my income, even though only a small percentage of it has anything to do with that state, and I was only there for about 2 weeks in 2014?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

tishthedish posted:

I got a letter from the IRS stating that I never filed my 2011 taxes. This came as a surprise to me; at the time, I was married, and my husband did the taxes. He didn't let me look at the computer when he was typing our information into his HR block account, and he locked up our financial stuff in his computer desk. He was six years older than me and I had never filed so I just assumed he knew what he was doing (also no matter what I said, he wouldn't let me see anything. Like, he minimized the window if I walked by his computer). We divorced May 2014 for reasons you may have guessed, and since it was a rather bad divorce, I have no contact info of his and don't know his whereabouts.

How should I file? I was able to get my W2 from 2011 and I know my student loan interest info, but I have no idea about anything of his. I did call the IRS and a grumpy man told me to get a lawyer or file MFS or file Single. He basically hung up on me. I am imagining though that I can't just pick one or the other? Also, if I had to file MFS, would I likely be able to get the Innocent Spouse relief for the penalties?

Since it sounds like your ex didn't file for you, you'll probably need to file MFS. That way you won't need him to sign off on the return (but you will need his SSN). You'll probably need to itemize as well. Certain credits are also disallowed. Innocent Spouse Relief would be for a situation where you did file together and he deceived you or hid income from you. But you can always request abatement of the penalties and interest (if you owe for that year).

sullat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 2, 2015

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I think I know the answer but wanted a second opinion..

Currently all my retirement savings are in a ROTH with the exception of maybe 5% of my total holdings in a traditional 401k. The past 3 years married filing jointly, wife has had little to no income, and after deductions/credits we've had zero tax liability for those years.

Is there any conceivable reason I would want to contribute to a traditional account instead of a ROTH account during zero tax years like this? I have both options available in both IRAs and 401ks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i did some contract work for gigaom last year. they recently shut down/fired most of their employees or some such mess. in any case i messaged their payroll department in march, asking for my tax forms, but they did not respond. what should i do?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 3, 2015

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DNova posted:

Why do I have to pay NYS taxes on all of my income, even though only a small percentage of it has anything to do with that state, and I was only there for about 2 weeks in 2014?

We would need to know more details to figure out what's going on here, since if you only had wages for 2 weeks of work in NYS and aren't a NYS resident, you wouldn't have to apportion more than those 2 weeks worth of wages.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Gray Matter posted:

I think I know the answer but wanted a second opinion..

Currently all my retirement savings are in a ROTH with the exception of maybe 5% of my total holdings in a traditional 401k. The past 3 years married filing jointly, wife has had little to no income, and after deductions/credits we've had zero tax liability for those years.

Is there any conceivable reason I would want to contribute to a traditional account instead of a ROTH account during zero tax years like this? I have both options available in both IRAs and 401ks.
No. Keep on doing the Roth option.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

DNova posted:

Make sure you're filling out your part year resident information correctly on whatever tax software you're using.

Alternatively, NYS hates you, me and everyone else. God bless my great state!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SiGmA_X posted:

For the past year I lived in a condo owned by my girlfriend's mom on which I'm paying the monthly assessment. My mail and drivers' license and all official things still list my parents' house because I've only been here one year and it's in a state of "perpetually temporary" until we move to our permanent home.

Do I file as Single, Head of Household, List this address, list parents address?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

DNova posted:

Did you get a W-2? If so, whoever issued it probably just put the entire amount of your wages in the NY state income box, rather than actually filling it out correctly. You'll have to calculate your actual NYS income and report that amount instead.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So, issue. My wife does her work through oDesk, a contracting site. They don't issue her a 1099, they just report her annual earnings which she then has to put into TurboTax. Because she's treated as "self-employed" she is getting nailed with both halves of FICA. This is a lot of money. Is there a way to mitigate this? I mean, she'd like to move to W2 status with her employer-- she has been working for 35 hours a week for one employer, and not working for anyone else, for half a year now but is still getting paid through oDesk. They don't appear to be ready to agree to that, though, since obviously they'd be on the hook for more.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So, issue. My wife does her work through oDesk, a contracting site. They don't issue her a 1099, they just report her annual earnings which she then has to put into TurboTax. Because she's treated as "self-employed" she is getting nailed with both halves of FICA. This is a lot of money. Is there a way to mitigate this? I mean, she'd like to move to W2 status with her employer-- she has been working for 35 hours a week for one employer, and not working for anyone else, for half a year now but is still getting paid through oDesk. They don't appear to be ready to agree to that, though, since obviously they'd be on the hook for more.

She can deduct expenses related to the consulting gigs if she has them, but she's definitely stuck with Schedule C treatment. Also if she has an office or other part of the home used exclusively for business, don't forget about the simplified home office deduction: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Simplified-Option-for-Home-Office-Deduction

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I messed up.

I did my Sister-in=law's return for her (Since I already bought the software). Since I'm not paying the state e-file fees, I work it out in the software than do a print mail-in.

I just realized that I never had her sign it before I mailed it in. Should I just wait for the state to return it, or should I resubmit the whole thing again? This is Mass, if it matters.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Dragyn posted:

I messed up.

I did my Sister-in=law's return for her (Since I already bought the software). Since I'm not paying the state e-file fees, I work it out in the software than do a print mail-in.

I just realized that I never had her sign it before I mailed it in. Should I just wait for the state to return it, or should I resubmit the whole thing again? This is Mass, if it matters.

Wait for the state. They will send a notice with what she needs to do.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Quick question about filing for educational deductions. Right now I'm in grad school, paying to the tune of $4500 per class per semester. However, my employer is providing reimbursement, contingent on doing well in classes. I paid for the semester on 12/30/14, and will not receive reimbursement until, at earliest, June of this year. Should I claim the educational expense on my return? What about the Lifetime Learning credit? How will this impact my taxes this year if I claim the deduction? I know reimbursement over a certain amount (~$5,200 if I recall correctly) is considered normal income and is taxed as such, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I apologize for what might be a silly question.

My girlfriend and I live together and share the costs of raising our child equally. We live in a state that does not recognize common-law marriage. We initially intended to each file our tax returns as single-status, with my girlfriend claiming our child as her dependent (as she earns more than me). However we realized that she technically fulfills the requirement as head of household; even though we share our expenses equally the balance of payments in 2014 would have been made by her.

Her filing as head of household would result in a significant increase in the size of her tax return. However that filing status is intended for use by single-parents, and even though she technically fulfills the requirements of the status she is clearly not raising the child by herself. It seems like filing as head of household increases the chance of an audit. It also seems counter-intuitive that had we shared our costs 50/50 in 2014 that she would not be eligible for head of household status, whereas if we shared costs 49.9/50.1 she suddenly becomes eligible for a substantial increase in her refund.

Does it make sense for her to file as head of household? If she does I assume we should carefully document our household expenses and payments to make the case that she paid >50% of the costs in 2014.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cross-posting from stock thread:

Sockser posted:

Hey guys, I don't know poo poo about poo poo and my research has proven... unfruitful?

Last year, I was given a chunk of stock with my company as a retention bonus or what have you, in the form of RSUs vesting over the course of four years. I've received the first lump of those RSUs and am now free to sell them. When they vested, ~40% of my shares were automatically sold to cover taxes. Does this mean I don't have to pay taxes on any shares that I sell or do I still have to pay capital gains or what's the deal? Nothing I've read really gave me a very good answer and I'm not sure who within my company to talk to.

Pardon if this isn't the thread to be asking this in.

So basically, company gifted me 100 shares, I have 60 tradeable shares after taxes, do I still pay taxes on what I sell my stock for?

e:
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/tax/09/restricted-stock-tax.asp?performancelayout=true

This explains it, I guess? But I'm straight up not understanding if I pay taxes on my sale or not.

e: having dug through a pile of papers I got a year and change ago, I guess I lose a chunk of shares to taxes and then I file capital gains on whatever I sell. However, the 40% that got yanked out of my vesting is way higher than what I typically owe in taxes. How do I declare this bastard next year? Everything the company gave me w/r/t this just says "CONTACT A QUALIFIED TAX ADVISOR" and well I mean come on, man.

quote:

12. How are RSUs taxed?
For US taxpayers and in most other countries, RSUs are taxed upon vesting based on the market
value of the [REDACTED] common stock on that date. Your taxable compensation is equal to the number
of the vested units multiplied by the market price of a share of [REDACTED] common stock on the vest
date. The market price is the NASDAQ closing price of [REDACTED] common stock on the vest date.
Although the tax obligation is yours, [REDACTED] is required to withhold specified taxes from the taxable
value of the vested RSUs.

13. How will the taxes be collected?
Your tax withholding obligation on the vested RSUs will be satisfied by the “share-netting” method.
[REDACTED] will determine the amount of tax that must be withheld. The number of shares released to
your brokerage account will be reduced by the shares retained to cover the withholding taxes due.
Example
Assume 100 RSUs vest and the [REDACTED] stock price is $95.00 on the vest date:
Total value of RSUs at vest 100 shares X $95/share = $9,500
Withholding taxes due on total value $9,500 x 35.72% tax rate* = $3,393.40 taxes due
Shares retained for taxes $3,393.40/$95 = 36 shares (rounded up**)
Shares deposited in your E*TRADE account 100 – 36 shares withheld for tax = 64 shares
Net value of shares in your E*TRADE account 64 shares x $95/share = $6,080
* This combined rate for US Federal, State, and FICA/Medicare taxes is for illustration purposes only. Your rate may vary.
** [REDACTED] will round up to the nearest whole shares.

16. What happens when I sell the shares?
All employees must comply with the [REDACTED] Trading Policy when trading shares of [REDACTED] common
stock. Additional taxes may be due at the time of sale. You will realize a gain or loss that must be
reported on your income tax returns, depending on whether the stock price has increased or
decreased since the vesting date. The cost basis of the shares would be the market value of the
shares at vesting. Please consult with a qualified tax advisor.

19. My marginal tax rate is higher than the 25% Federal withholding rate that [REDACTED] uses when my
RSUs vest. Can I have [REDACTED]use a higher withholding rate?

No. [REDACTED] is not permitted to use a higher withholding rate. Since the top marginal Federal income
tax rate for 2014 is 39.6%, there may be a gap between the amount withheld and the amount you
actually owe. If you are concerned about penalties and interest for the potential underpayment of
taxes, then you should make estimated tax payments. Note that you may also be required to submit
estimated tax payments for state taxes. Please consult with a qualified tax advisor.

so,

1. I pay income tax on the value of my stock in the way of losing 40 shares,
2. And then pay capital gains on whatever I sell.

How do I declare #1? Does it just show up on my W2 and go into my regular reported income somehow, I guess?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 6, 2015

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008
Read the OP, but it still didn't make sense to me for some reason so I'll ask my question.

Was recently offered a job in California but I currently live in Portland. I would telecommute to this job. How would taxes work when I receive my paycheck? I get the whole end of year credit thing. Would I be essentially double taxed for the Oregon rate and California rate?

Zzu fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 7, 2015

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
If I move abroad, and I last lived in DC, will I have to continue paying DC state income tax even if I have no income earned in DC and don't own a house, etc.? The only thing connecting me to the state would be a driver's license, and possibly a storage unit. I know that some states apparently keep taxing you even if you move out of the country.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Kaishek -

This resource should help you, even though you may not be a government employee. http://www.afsa.org/taxguide

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My taxes have been e-filed and I owe New York state some money. I've logged into the website for the department of finance and I see my return marked as filed/accepted. However, when I go to Pay My Bill it is showing me as not owing any money. Is there usually a delay between filing and the amount due being posted here? Should I just drop a check in the mail with my voucher? Trying to move things around a little bit to make sure I have enough cash on hand to cover the bill while I await my Federal and NJ returns, would rather not drop a large check in the mail if I can deal with it online.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Just wanted to say thank you for this! Imagine my surprise when I check the last page and post at the top is for my state and perfect for my needs.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Please help.

I just finished my state and federal taxes with Turbo Tax, paid them and was about to e-file then I get told to fix a error in my federal taxes. And this is where things get stupid.

I got 4 W2's last year (I work in the entertainment industry and work for many people) and one of them has a issues with it...I think. (Some background, I live in Maryland and work in DC very often but this is the first time I have seen this)

The problem is with Box 16 State Wages, Tips, etc. Instead of just making money and paying taxes in Maryland (Like always for me) I have made $N (Box 16) money in DC and paid $N (Box 17) in State income tax for DC...BUT also have Maryland listed as well with Box 16 being blank and Box 17 saying $N. I am a resident in Maryland, NOT DC and have never lived in DC.

If I understand this W2 right, it is saying that I made $N in DC and had $N in State income tax taken out, but I ALSO had $N taken out for Maryland state income tax and for the line for Maryland, Box 16 is blank.

I dont know what to do anymore and I am very confused....help?

I hope this will help too. This is the problem I tried to describe.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Please help.

I just finished my state and federal taxes with Turbo Tax, paid them and was about to e-file then I get told to fix a error in my federal taxes. And this is where things get stupid.

I got 4 W2's last year (I work in the entertainment industry and work for many people) and one of them has a issues with it...I think. (Some background, I live in Maryland and work in DC very often but this is the first time I have seen this)

The problem is with Box 16 State Wages, Tips, etc. Instead of just making money and paying taxes in Maryland (Like always for me) I have made $N (Box 16) money in DC and paid $N (Box 17) in State income tax for DC...BUT also have Maryland listed as well with Box 16 being blank and Box 17 saying $N. I am a resident in Maryland, NOT DC and have never lived in DC.

If I understand this W2 right, it is saying that I made $N in DC and had $N in State income tax taken out, but I ALSO had $N taken out for Maryland state income tax and for the line for Maryland, Box 16 is blank.

I dont know what to do anymore and I am very confused....help?

I hope this will help too. This is the problem I tried to describe.

Uh - please tell me the tax withholdings at stake here are substantially more than $100.

Your employer wasn't withholding your tax correctly. You should probably pay closer attention to your paystubs in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Nocturtle posted:

Does it make sense for her to file as head of household? If she does I assume we should carefully document our household expenses and payments to make the case that she paid >50% of the costs in 2014.

If you can document that honestly, then yes absolutely you can file HoH.