Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you truly just need the phone to download the app:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-ZTE-Zinger-Smartphone/39150771

Note: I can't recall if you need to be rooted to grab an APK. If you do you might want to just buy a used Nexus 7 (2012). They should be well under $100 now.

You don't. Just check unknown sources in security settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mcbexx posted:

Android/Google is doing some really weird poo poo lately.

Yesterday evening I wanted to play some music by using Google Now.
It went and started a Radio based on the song I wanted it to play, but not the song itself.

Then today at 6:00am my phone started to play the song I actually wanted to play yesterday.
No alarm was set, it just started blaring the song at 6:00am sharp.

On my day off.
Thank you, Google.

Trusted places is also not working at all.
Requiring two unlocking gestures to even check for notification icons is a pain in the rear end, too.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Last week, my phone decided to autoplay this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFoUboFyPk

from my Google Music account, while I was attending a lunchtime seminar with like 100 work colleagues in the room.

F..gently caress you Google?
This hasn't happened to me, but I notice a lot that after I exit Google Play Music, the controls will show up in my notification drawer again a few minutes later.

I always try to remember to mute the media volume on my phone after I'm done listening to music because I don't want these things to happen to me.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow, songs playing completely randomly? That's never happened to me, but if it did I'd think android was complete dogshit and switch to iOS. Why would you continue to use something that fucks up something as basic as "don't do things arbitrarily"?

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Last week, my phone decided to autoplay this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFoUboFyPk

from my Google Music account, while I was attending a lunchtime seminar with like 100 work colleagues in the room.

F..gently caress you Google?

Your phone just wanted your colleagues to know you have good taste in music.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Mooktastical posted:

You don't. Just check unknown sources in security settings.

That's for installing APKs,

I'm pretty sure you need root to grab apks off the filesystem from Market.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

RZA Encryption posted:

Wow, songs playing completely randomly? That's never happened to me, but if it did I'd think android was complete dogshit and switch to iOS. Why would you continue to use something that fucks up something as basic as "don't do things arbitrarily"?

Because that's a very rash decision based on something happening once. iOS has bugs too (granted I haven't used it since I had an iPhone 4 over 2 years ago, maybe it's literally flawless now)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

w00tazn posted:

I'm pretty sure you need root to grab apks off the filesystem from Market.
Nope, you can just ADB pull them. Root would only be needed if you wanted to write to that folder.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

evilskillit posted:

Your phone just wanted your colleagues to know you have good taste in music.

Possibly, but I'm not sure if the geriatric biochem profs were really jamming out to mathcore playing through craptacular N5 speakers

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got my preorder in this morning for the S6 and also went ahead and bought a Tylt Vu. I'm so ready for wireless charging and all that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Good thing the M9 has that replacement plan, because you are never ever repairing that phone, not even to replace the battery.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+M9+Teardown/39166

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd rather it play a song I asked for earlier out of the blue than have it suddenly switch my entire calendar to GMT rather than my local time zone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Got my preorder in this morning for the S6 and also went ahead and bought a Tylt Vu. I'm so ready for wireless charging and all that.

Qi is nice while you sleep, but QC 2.0 will change your life.

I've stopped fiddling with Qi in the car. Just plug in QC and it aggressively pumps current into your battery. You can run everything at full throttle and it charges away. No so with Qi.

It's nice at night or in the office, but otherwise QC is far superior.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Qi is nice while you sleep, but QC 2.0 will change your life.

I've stopped fiddling with Qi in the car. Just plug in QC and it aggressively pumps current into your battery. You can run everything at full throttle and it charges away. No so with Qi.

It's nice at night or in the office, but otherwise QC is far superior.

I'm thinking of taking the Tylt into the office yeah. Haven't decided yet. Just really wanted to buy these accessories to finally try them out.

QC 2.0 :getin:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You don't need Quick Charge when you have a battery so massive you can't run dry in a single day. :smug:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I use both QC and Qi every day multiple times, they serve different purposes. Can't imagine having a phone without both at this point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

isndl posted:

You don't need Quick Charge when you have a battery so massive you can't run dry in a single day. :smug:

Ayup.

I mean, I like that my Turbo can do QC 2.0. I've literally only used it twice though. The first was when I took it out of the box and the other time was when I forgot to put it on the charger for two nights in a row and I was down to 10% battery by the 3rd morning. So, I put it on the quick charger as I got ready for work and had 90% by the time I left.

I could see it being really nice if I was traveling or something. I'm more interested in a tablet that will do QC 2.0 since they have much larger batteries.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
To the guy who needs an apk, Chrome can now run Android apps using ARC. Apparently you just need to download ARC, then you can download and install any apk, most of which work fine on a computer.

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

My HTC M7 is getting long in the tooth and it's time for an upgrade. After being spoiled rotten with the 8.4' screen on my Tab S, I'm thinking of going to the larger screen of the Nexus 6 but I'm wondering about the FDE issues slowing the phone. A google search turns up conflicting information, so my question is, is there a simple way to disable FDE on the Nexus 6 to boost performance, or is that no longer an issue/needed?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can I buy a Consumer Cellular "branded" phone at Sears for like 100$ less then Amazon and just pay 3$ on eBay for an unlock code and just use my Cricket SIM? Same model and everything, I think it SHOULD work but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you truly just need the phone to download the app:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-ZTE-Zinger-Smartphone/39150771

Note: I can't recall if you need to be rooted to grab an APK. If you do you might want to just buy a used Nexus 7 (2012). They should be well under $100 now.

Hmm, I'll look for a Nexus 7 then :)

Tunga posted:

You don't know anyone with an Android phone?

Nope

w00tazn posted:

You can modify genymotion to enable market support.

Much faster than the other emulator options but I get an "app is not compatible with your device" error. :v

edit: Signed in to the Google store with Genymotion, downloaded a random app, went on the Google Play store on my computer, purchased the app, downloaded the APK with Raccoon. Success.
Thanks guys :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 3, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Possibly, but I'm not sure if the geriatric biochem profs were really jamming out to mathcore playing through craptacular N5 speakers

They probably started mentally analysing the sick polyrhythms and ended up hyped and 43% more productive for the session. Great job!

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Nyfrin posted:

My HTC M7 is getting long in the tooth and it's time for an upgrade. After being spoiled rotten with the 8.4' screen on my Tab S, I'm thinking of going to the larger screen of the Nexus 6 but I'm wondering about the FDE issues slowing the phone. A google search turns up conflicting information, so my question is, is there a simple way to disable FDE on the Nexus 6 to boost performance, or is that no longer an issue/needed?

5.1 dramatically increases FDE performance, and that is without even enabling it in hardware. Don't sweat the FDE, and don't break your phone to unencrypt it.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

bull3964 posted:

Good thing the M9 has that replacement plan, because you are never ever repairing that phone, not even to replace the battery.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+M9+Teardown/39166

Looks about as bad as the M7. I cracked my screen on mine and rather than pay someone $200 to fix it for me or risk breaking it trying to do so on my own I've just been using it for the last 12 months with a cracked screen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

It's almost as if there can be more than one dimension on which to lay priorities.

But, wait, you either know this and are trolling, are stupid and didn't think it through, or a combination of the two previous options.

I vote for option #3.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

baka kaba posted:

43% more productive

:yaycloud:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In Google Play Music, does anyone else have an issue where the currently playing track just randomly pauses? This happens on Chromecast, bluetooth, headphones, normal phone speakers, anywhere. I think it's always been on a pinned playlist (I have all access).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Google Play Music, does anyone else have an issue where the currently playing track just randomly pauses? This happens on Chromecast, bluetooth, headphones, normal phone speakers, anywhere. I think it's always been on a pinned playlist (I have all access).
Sounds like a problem with the headphone jack feeding it phantom button presses if I had to take a random guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yep, I'll quite often leave Play Music running a instant mix of random stuff on my n10 for hours at a time, and every now and again I'll have to hit play when it pauses.

Thats without access, and nothing pinned

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have not experienced this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Yep, I'll quite often leave Play Music running a instant mix of random stuff on my n10 for hours at a time, and every now and again I'll have to hit play when it pauses.

Thats without access, and nothing pinned

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like a problem with the headphone jack feeding it phantom button presses if I had to take a random guess.

Hmmm, I wonder if it could be dust or something in the headphone jack? I really don't want to go through the hassle of a return for something minor. It's quite rare it happens, like if I'm listening for an hour at the gym it pauses once maybe.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Could be, haven't seen it on my n5 but then I don't really use it much on there

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So my order of a s6 came with a text saying that "No additional information, including shipping, is provided for unreleased devices." Which was immediately followed by a shipping notification email that said my device was out for delivery. Cool?
Anyway.
Does the s6 have wireless charging? Based on Skeezy above it does? Is that Tylt Vu thing the best option? (upgrading from a m7, all these new fangled options haha)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can I buy a Consumer Cellular "branded" phone at Sears for like 100$ less then Amazon and just pay 3$ on eBay for an unlock code and just use my Cricket SIM? Same model and everything, I think it SHOULD work but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts

Quoting myself since I think it got lost further up :)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Does the s6 have wireless charging? Based on Skeezy above it does? Is that Tylt Vu thing the best option? (upgrading from a m7, all these new fangled options haha)
Yes, it's built-in. Both Qi and PMA. Finally, wireless charging is taking off. Thanks Samsung! No more hideous thick backs or shady Chinese "receiver stickers."

It's all there, built-in. Not a new concept, but the Samsung's weight behind it will help even grandma use it out of the box.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hotsauce posted:

Yes, it's built-in. Both Qi and PMA. Finally, wireless charging is taking off. Thanks Samsung! No more hideous thick backs or shady Chinese "receiver stickers."

It's all there, built-in. Not a new concept, but the Samsung's weight behind it will help even grandma use it out of the box.

I'm really glad Samsung picked up Qi. Hopefully Apple is next and doesn't decide to use their own standard (they absolutely will)

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

mcbexx posted:

Android/Google is doing some really weird poo poo lately.

Trusted places is also not working at all.
Requiring two unlocking gestures to even check for notification icons is a pain in the rear end, too.

Are you using a Nexus 6? I've been having that problem since shortly after upgrading to 5.1. Also, sometimes when I search for "home" in maps it tells me there's no way to route to that location, but if I search for the actual address instead it will work.

I haven't had any problems with trusted places on my N9 or N4, but they are still on 5.0.whatever

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y7tPczbOec

have some tech analysis everyone

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is that SquareTrade the warranty seller?

The analysis is... your phone is in extreme danger buy our warranties!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I love the Blue HTC One M7. Why did HTC drop the color from the M8 and M9? I want more blue phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
N5, 5.1 LMY47I
Anybody else unable to lock it to portrait? Apparently the choices are auto or portrait. :/

I wanted to take a landscape phone while holding phone portrait (actually upside down portrait. :( )