Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Holy crap this card I literally never looked at twice basically warped Standard (and a bit of Modern) into Rhino town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It really owns that some card made siege rhino the nightmare it is today because no one had the gumption to throw the 41 best red cards (and 19 mountains) together into a deck, like they should be doing every season. Or a slightly bigger deck that plays Sarkhan :v:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They almost reprinted Liliana in M15? :(

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Yeah, but then they remembered Thoughtseize was a thing and didn't want LotV and that anywhere near the same standard.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Can you imagine that superstandard Mono B

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Keeping Lili out of standard is probably good. I think she will be in MM3 next year.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Death Bot posted:

Can you imagine that superstandard Mono B

The thing dreams are made of.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That was a cool story about nerfing a potentially playable card into oblivion for dumb reasons.

"More than just that, we found the gameplay of the card very frustrating when it was good. Each turn, a player would get two tokens per First Response. It was almost impossible to fight through unless you had a ton of creatures with evasion, and control decks had a hard time dealing with the onslaught."

If only there was a million cheap ways to hate on enchantments or control decks had ways to clear the board. Do people in FFL not run sideboards?
I can't believe that none of them ran any of the pile of "all creatures get -1/-1 until EOT" cards in black or any of the "~ deals 1 (or more) damage to each creature" in red or any enchantment hate in white/green. Apparently FFL guys are bad at basic problem solving?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Keeping Lili out of standard is probably good. I think she will be in MM3 next year.

You mean 2017. Next summer is probably Conspiracy 2. They also need to print that terrible flip card Liliana too...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wonder if she'll make it to $200 by then. :shepicide:

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't believe that none of them ran any of the pile of "all creatures get -1/-1 until EOT" cards in black or any of the "~ deals 1 (or more) damage to each creature" in red or any enchantment hate in white/green. Apparently FFL guys are bad at basic problem solving?

No, you don't get it, the card was way too overpowered and impossible to deal with. He's just getting tokens every turn and I am powerless to stop him!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

The thing nightmares are made of.

I'd rather not have literally no hand while my opponent blows up my permanents while I am incapable of doing anything about it, thanks.

Edit: Also that would make Abzan Midrange literally Modern Abzan Midrange minus Goyfs and Bobs.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 3, 2015

Big Hans
Jul 25, 2003
Saved by Jebus
Hey guys. My buddy Bryan and I have started streaming recently, and we are going to be streaming DTK pre-release events starting at noon CST. Check us out at https://www.twitch.tv/chargingbadgers

We are not pros, but we are solid players and we are marginally entertaining. We will also have a third person with us who is a constructed wiz, currently in the top 35 of MTGO constructed standings. I probably won't be checking this thread, but feel free to watch and chat with us.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Considering y'all complain about that manifest card making infinite loving dues and boring as poo poo gw mirrors despite hurt being an echantment I don't get why you think a white betterblossom would not have warped the format.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Sigma-X posted:

Considering y'all complain about that manifest card making infinite loving dues and boring as poo poo gw mirrors despite hurt being an echantment I don't get why you think a white betterblossom would not have warped the format.

Nothing inspires more autistic rage from goons than siege rhino, not even gross rear end whisperwood elemental poo poo

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Truly, First Response was too powerful to have the same CMC as Jeskai Ascendency.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
magic is the worst

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Can you just imagine mastery of the unseen along with first response lmao

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Have they ever posted a story about the FFL actually solving a problem before it started?

That wasn't "Hey we just wanted to let you know that we almost let you guys play with LotV and Thoughtseize in the same Standard but we realized that would be a mistake. :downs:"

All the stories they share seem to be of the "We hosed up because the FFL overvalued a card and somehow nobody saw the counters to it that were right in front of us. :downs:" variety.

Also Modern would still probably be seeing Rhinos even if we had gotten the original one because "Free OK stat-ed creature off my LoTV with an annoying ETB trigger stapled to it. Cool."

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

You mean 2017. Next summer is probably Conspiracy 2. They also need to print that terrible flip card Liliana too...

The biggest problem is that, again, Modern Masters doesn't do poo poo to affect prices. If Liliana of the Veil is $100 when MM3 comes out, it will probably be $100 when it stops being printed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sigma-X posted:

Yes, free 2/2s that can flip over to be good things and also gain you life are exactly the same as 1/1 vanilla tokens that you need to lose life in order to get.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

manifest card gains you life too and also makes nameless creatures that don't get swept by bile blight. they're also not tokens so the new token -2/-2 thing doesn't do anything. or mass bounce or w/e. an extra toughness. a higher potential output cap. spicey brown mustard and pickles

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem is that, again, Modern Masters doesn't do poo poo to affect prices. If Liliana of the Veil is $100 when MM3 comes out, it will probably be $100 when it stops being printed.

They've said that they are aware of that issue and that it was a problem with mm1, and that mm2015 won't have that problem.
Then again until it comes out who knows

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

black potus posted:

manifest card gains you life too and also makes nameless creatures that don't get swept by bile blight. they're also not tokens so the new token -2/-2 thing doesn't do anything. or mass bounce or w/e. an extra toughness. a higher potential output cap. spicey brown mustard and pickles

oh ya the -2/-2 token thing has a pretty good explanation for why it exists now huh
e: is there an anthem effect for tokens that i missed somewhere i dont really pay attention to standard

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aisar posted:

oh ya the -2/-2 token thing has a pretty good explanation for why it exists now huh
e: is there an anthem effect for tokens that i missed somewhere i dont really pay attention to standard
Not for tokens specifically, but there is Dictate of Heliod and Elspeth's ultimate emblem.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Completely and definitely not landscrewing.

Edit: Kenji gets hit for 5 in the air by a Lightning Shrieker at 10, no fliers, goes to 5.

He draws a mountain and passes.

His opponent topdecked the Lightning Shrieker. :anime:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 3, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
A guy played Virulent Plague in the sideboard against my RDW on Tuesday, but it didn't help much. I couldn't cast my fodder anymore, but I had enough other little creatures it didn't seem to matter. I think GW Devotion/Master of the Unseen is my worst matchup so far, although I also haven't done many mirror matches yet. Drafting tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Kenji lost to that guy. Turn 1 Keeper of the Lens, the Bolster enchantment, LIGHTNING SHRIEKER into shuffling into drawing Lightning Shrieker. Really the worst possible world.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

Kenji lost to that guy. Turn 1 Keeper of the Lens, the Bolster enchantment, LIGHTNING SHRIEKER into shuffling into drawing Lightning Shrieker. Really the worst possible world.

It was a magical experience and I'm glad I was there to witness the chaos. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

WBG

Creature – Beast

When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.

If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard CARDNAME, put it onto the battlefield instead of putting it into your graveyard.

3/4

:psyduck:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I feel like the Siege Rhino we have now is at least of equal power level to that template. The discard ability wouldn't be relevant in this standard format and the fact that Siege Rhino has 5 toughness is very relevant.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I feel like the Siege Rhino we have now is at least of equal power level to that template. The discard ability wouldn't be relevant in this standard format and the fact that Siege Rhino has 5 toughness is very relevant.

Me readin your posts
/

e:

mcmagic y dont u love me!?
/

Four Score fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 3, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ah yes, the tried-and-true "hope my opponent cannot read my cards when selecting a spell with targeted discard" strat

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Now imagine they take all documentation with them and leave you with no idea how your currently operational multi-million dollar project is actually functioning.

Now imagine ten clown cars driving into each other and inside the clown cars are grizzly bears.

Magic Online Digital Objects Every enterprise software project ever

Fixed that for you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Four Score posted:

Me readin your posts
/

e:

mcmagic y dont u love me!?
/

Meh Smiter wasn't close to Rhino in power level and it's a card that is still played in modern. Also, like I said, it's discard ability wasn't all that relevant in standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Meh Smiter wasn't close to Rhino in power level and it's a card that is still played in modern. Also, like I said, it's discard ability wasn't all that relevant in standard.

You obviously never saw someone keep a quad Smiter, 3 land hand against mono-black. :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Now imagine ten clown cars driving into each other and inside the clown cars are grizzly bears.

Oh my god runeclaw bear is driving how can this be

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

You obviously never saw someone keep a quad Smiter, 3 land hand against mono-black. :getin:

Yes because that corner case situation was very relevant and happened all the time...

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AgentSythe posted:

Ah yes, the tried-and-true "hope my opponent cannot read my cards when selecting a spell with targeted discard" strat

Not one, but two people who don't realize that in most cases being ignored by targeted hand removal (nobody plays Thoughtseize right!?!) and in an ideal situation played for free (e.g. "each player discards a card") is actually really good!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Four Score posted:

Not one, but two people who don't realize that in most cases being ignored by targeted hand removal (nobody plays Thoughtseize right!?!) and in an ideal situation played for free (e.g. "each player discards a card") is actually really good!

The card is good because it's a 4/4 beater for 3 mana that can't be countered. The discard ability rarely came up in that standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Boco_T posted:

I've lost to Lightning Shrieker more times than I'm willing to admit, it's one of those Bad Cards that a decent chunk of players love and can't be convinced it's bad so I end up having to decide whether or not to burn a removal spell on something they have a 1/28ish chance of topdecking again. I'm still not sure what the correct answer is, the problem with the guy who lays Lightning Shrieker is that he's also the guy who will draft all of the Lightning Shriekers so it seems like he's topdecking the same one when really he's just drawing copy 2 of 4.

• Locked thread