Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

I'm getting up at 6:30 tomorrow to go to drop-in hockey, what the hell is becoming of me?

I get up at 5:30 every Sunday to play hockey in the futile hope that someday I will be good at this stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Long hair under the helmet just kills me to the point where I'm thinking of doing UFC style white guy douchebag cornrows. For some reason it always seems to slip out and get in front of my eyes.

Going to pick up some pads this weekend and start practicing skating with them on. Also to whoever suggested those tips for skate tightening, thank you, they really worked. I was actually pretty stunned at the difference in my skating skills when they were nice and tight vs when they were loose.

This weekend my Dad and I are heading to the rink to practice how to take a check or hit, which will essentially be an hour of a 6 and a half foot tall, 250 pound man slamming into me on the ice. Should be fun. Any tips?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

how old are you again? is this even going to be relevant before you age out of contact hockey?

i feel like thats really putting the cart before the horse. taking a hit is all about strength on your skates. i don't know why 100% of your effort at this point is not on learning to skate well, its that simple

did your dad play hockey? does he know how to give a hit?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sellouts posted:

how old are you again? is this even going to be relevant before you age out of contact hockey?

i feel like thats really putting the cart before the horse. taking a hit is all about strength on your skates. i don't know why 100% of your effort at this point is not on learning to skate well, its that simple

did your dad play hockey? does he know how to give a hit?

I'm 19. I go to the rink as often as I can to practice my skating, but I try to learn other things as well. I do a lot of skating drills and exercises and I'm fairly confident on my skates, but I'm trying to pick up all the other aspects of hockey as well.

My Dad played hockey from when he was 5 all the way through college, then coached, etc.

Maybe I misinterpreted it and he's just screwing with me, if taking a hit is about strength on skates then I'll focus on that.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kvlt! posted:

My dad is going to check the crap out of me

Vids please.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DeNofa posted:

Vids please.

I'll see if someone at the rink can take a video! It will definitely be funny to watch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

he's probably just screwing with you, but you're 19, i really don't understand worrying about hits when you're going to be playing non-check beer league.

that being said, why ask a bunch of idiots on the internet this stuff, ask your dad! he sounds like he would be a better resource than this group of try-hards

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sellouts posted:

he's probably just screwing with you, but you're 19, i really don't understand worrying about hits when you're going to be playing non-check beer league.

that being said, why ask a bunch of idiots on the internet this stuff, ask your dad! he sounds like he would be a better resource than this group of try-hards

I actually think the league that I'm joining is check, but I'm not sure...am I too old for check? You're right, he probably is just screwing with me!

And you have a good point! I always like to get second opinions on this stuff, but my Dad is definitely a hockey expert. We've had a rocky relationship but hockey is the thing we bond over so it's a lot of fun. This thread's been wicked helpful though, so between him and you guys I'm getting some pretty good advice.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're in America there's almost no checking adult leagues.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chemmy posted:

If you're in America there's almost no checking adult leagues.

I didn't know that...I find it very strange. I'm in Boston, I would think that adult leagues would allow checking.

Since I've never seen no-checking hockey, does that mean you can't touch other players at all?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, there's lots of contact in beer league. You just can't smash a skater into the bleachers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

No, bumping and contact are part of the game, but you can't just smash someone to get the puck.

You need to play to take the puck or their ability to get to open space away. You can force them into the boards by angling but can't just put a shoulder in their chest.

Also, not to be rude, if you played checking hockey you'd probably die.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chemmy posted:

No, bumping and contact are part of the game, but you can't just smash someone to get the puck.

You need to play to take the puck or their ability to get to open space away. You can force them into the boards by angling but can't just put a shoulder in their chest.

Also, not to be rude, if you played checking hockey you'd probably die.

Not rude at all, you're right!

That makes a lot more sense though. I was imaging hockey where you couldn't touch another player and couldn't really envision it.

This is more evidence that my Dad is screwing with me hahaha.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you've got your dad as a resource tell him to quit screwing around and have him teach you forward strides, stops, backwards skating, crossovers, transitions, backwards crossovers, pivots, etc. Skating is everything at the beginning. Just get on the ice and work on poo poo as often as you possibly can.

I just got back from shinny where I was severely outclassed by the majority of the skaters on the ice, and it's 90% about their ability to get to where they need to be faster and more effectively than I can and like 10% about their sick danglez.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

prom candy posted:

If you've got your dad as a resource tell him to quit screwing around and have him teach you forward strides, stops, backwards skating, crossovers, transitions, backwards crossovers, pivots, etc. Skating is everything at the beginning. Just get on the ice and work on poo poo as often as you possibly can.

I just got back from shinny where I was severely outclassed by the majority of the skaters on the ice, and it's 90% about their ability to get to where they need to be faster and more effectively than I can and like 10% about their sick danglez.

Already on that. I'm the one who always wants to grab a stick and do other stuff and he's always kicking my rear end with "not until you get better at X skating technique" (X being one of the ones you've listed above).

That being said, we have fun with it. I'm not looking to play in the NHL, I'm just looking to play some beer league hockey for fun.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If you're having fun and also improving at any skill, keep doing whatever you are doing and don't worry what the Internet is telling you. :hfive:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pleads posted:

If you're having fun and also improving at any skill, keep doing whatever you are doing and don't worry what the Internet is telling you. :hfive:

This is some great advice man. I'm having a blast learning, so I'm gonna keep on doing that!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
We locked up first place in our league last night which is the first time in a long while our team has better than a 0.500 record. Our team might actually be improving the more we keep a consistent line up. We played the 2nd place team in a grueling 2-2 tie. Who ties in Roller Hockey... Chiming in on beer league contact, there's always going to be some contact in hockey, intentionally or unintentionally. There was a fair amount of physical play in our game last night which you should expect any time two guys are going for a loose puck on the boards or any time you are just hanging in the front of the net trying to screen the goalie. The thing is no one is ever lining you up for a massive open ice hit or shoving you from behind going into the boards.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pleads posted:

Seriously yes, I think the reason I've gotten so hooked on hockey (aside from being a huge fan of it my entire life) is that every aspect of it is so much fun. I'm never at public skate practicing bad side stops like "aw man this sucks." It's just such a ridiculous sport that it's hard not to enjoy yourself.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The better the league the more contact to expect.

Unless you're in HZs league, then expect rock em sock em robots.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

prom candy posted:

Seriously yes, I think the reason I've gotten so hooked on hockey (aside from being a huge fan of it my entire life) is that every aspect of it is so much fun. I'm never at public skate practicing bad side stops like "aw man this sucks." It's just such a ridiculous sport that it's hard not to enjoy yourself.

Couldn't agree more. First time I got on skates in years, I was so wobbly and just a wreck skating but I was still having a blast. Just being on the ice makes me happy, so no matter if I'm practicing, playing, training or just fooling around it's always a good time.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's only one adult rec checking league that I know of around the Philly area that plays at the UPenn rink, and from the sound of it it's a great way to get injured. There's good players but also apparently too many people that try to be Scott Stevens.

Right now I'm in a B/C level league with decent players, and there is some contact. It is unavoidable, and you just have to roll with it.

As a rule of thumb, don't be the guy that complains to the refs every time you're touched. If you're legitimately taken out then yeah, but I come across people almost every game that want to take umbrage at every little thing.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

The better the league the more contact to expect.

Unless you're in HZs league, then expect rock em sock em robots.

Ha, my league is pretty much the opposite. Lower the league the more shitheaded contact there is.

There's more tryharding the higher up you get, but the dumb cheap poo poo happens the lower you go. For this reason, I think I'm going to retire from Bronze after the summer season.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Visorchat

I was debating rolling visor in my Silver league this season just to try it out. I go to play my Bronze game last Sunday (cage only rule for Bronze) and my girlfriend takes a hard highstick to the jaw as the buzzer expires in the game. Dammit.

If I could find a forest green E600 or E700 helmet to stick it on so I don't have to swap between cage/visor every week, I'd definitely reconsider.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Team on team collision last night resulted in one of our guys eating a shoulder to his un-caged/un-visored face and suffering a concussion.

Wear at least something on your face, idiots.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Kvlt! posted:

Not rude at all, you're right!

That makes a lot more sense though. I was imaging hockey where you couldn't touch another player and couldn't really envision it.

This is more evidence that my Dad is screwing with me hahaha.

It's "no contact" in the way that basketball or something is. They still lean on each other and box each other out for position, but they're not full on hitting or running into each other.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, my league is pretty much the opposite. Lower the league the more shitheaded contact there is.

There's more tryharding the higher up you get, but the dumb cheap poo poo happens the lower you go. For this reason, I think I'm going to retire from Bronze after the summer season.

your league is weird, our highest level is full of dudes who get drunk before and especially after the games and smoke a ton of pot. But they're going to body you when it makes sense because it's assumed that everyone knows how to skate. they're just not going to cheap shot you when you drop a dangle around them.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

For those that don't like a cage but like full protection, try what I do:

Buy a Bauer Concept 3 bubble. Install the J-clips properly. Remove chinstrap/chincup. Cut the strap in half. On the sides of the Concept 3 there are two spots that are specifically made to thread straps through, so do that with the new straps you have. Reattach the clips to the straps and adjust it so the mask stays firm to the J-clips when attached. Profit.

I should note that I've only tried this on a Bauer helmet, but other brands will probably work too.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 3, 2015

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Contact is completely natural for the game. I would love to play in a check league again. But then I realize that a) I'm too old and b) it would be the first week of everyone being cautious, then turn into checkfest then when people get hurt turn into revenge hitting. Plus I know most of the guys I play with have never been in a check league before so don't know how to hit properly.

I wear a half-visor and one of the new guys in our private pickup league is crazy and almost took my lower jaw off last night with a wild swing. His idea of playing hockey is skate as hard with head down on wobbly skates. He's either going to hurt himself or someone else really bad. He hit a guy last night into the boards.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

your league is weird, our highest level is full of dudes who get drunk before and especially after the games and smoke a ton of pot. But they're going to body you when it makes sense because it's assumed that everyone knows how to skate. they're just not going to cheap shot you when you drop a dangle around them.

Yeah it really depends on how the teams are made up. You have the guys up in Gold who are either the 19-year old kids who have played since they were 3 or the old timers who have been playing for 50 years, both of which are mostly chill.

Most of the shitheaded tryhard poo poo comes from people who started playing in their late 20s/30s. Most of them are in Bronze/Silver B, the two leagues I play in, so that's probably why I see the most of it. Plus, I don't really post about the times I saw incredible sportsmanship and good teamwork. I think after this season I'm going to play Silver B and try my hand at Silver A to try to get away from this crap.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pretty much my experience. Higher level guys are certainly more capable of using their bodies - when they want to, but the lower level guys can't control their bodies, whether they want to or not.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Full contact checking beer league hockey is the best and you Yanks are a bunch of ninnies!

Signed,

A goalie who doesn't have to get involved in any of that poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's enough "checking" in my no-checking league to paint a clear picture I have no business ever playing that kind of hockey.

I have nowhere near the necessary mobility to survive that for any length of time. My joints would be shredded beef.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Everyone in Britain is either unemployed or hates their job anyway, so you don't have to worry about getting injuries

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Green laces. I mean, I assume they make colors other than pink, even if I haven't seen them in the wild.

Catching up from last page -- they do! I wear them and they're ridiculous!

None of my teams are even green, I bought them because ... well, I'm not really sure, I guess they go with the reebok green highlights? Whatever.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Checking or not, any mention to a coworker or friend that I'm learning to play hockey is met with the same reaction I'd get if I had said I was joining a backyard wrestling league.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Yeah, my experience has been that certain beginners are the shittiest. If you can't keep up skating and stick handling, make up for it with hooks, slashes, crosschecks, slew-footing, elbows to the head, and "oops I couldn't stop lol" hits from behind.

Oh, edit to add: I think the worst part is that beginners are just venting aggressiveness and not doing anything that makes any sense in the context of the play. I would say 80% of the time that I've gotten hit from behind it's someone who thinks I might have the puck eventually or someone who had his/her head down and doesn't see that the puck is long gone. It's not like what I see with higher level guys where they might be bodying up on someone who is actively in the play.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 3, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm not going to lie though, from my days of skating out there is quite a carnally amazing feeling you get when you blow a guy up who was trying to cross the blue line with their head down...

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Lots of triangles posted:

Catching up from last page -- they do! I wear them and they're ridiculous!

None of my teams are even green, I bought them because ... well, I'm not really sure, I guess they go with the reebok green highlights? Whatever.

I ordered some kelly green waxed laces last night on Amazon. I'm going to replace that ugly lime green tape with some darker green as well.

Speaking of, does anyone want 2.99 rolls of ugly, thin, lovely lime green tape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Finally scored last night. I got the puck on a breakaway and chipped it just a liiiitle too far ahead of myself. I didn't think I could hang onto the puck, but somehow my shot went 5-hole for the first of the game. We wound up winning 5-1 (or 6-1?), so I'll take credit for that. That's two goals in two seasons for me now, too. I think I'm officially on a hot streak.