Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Both d7k and d300 are amazing crop bodies and you should all feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I didn't do real tests or anything but d7k looks about that good at 6400 in sufficient light. I shoot at 6400 on it all the time and at 4x6 size you would never ever know. Even at larger sizes it is fine.

I know Kenshin is excited about his new camera but that ISO performance is not that much better than the stuff from 5 years ago. The d3200 had the older sensor stuff in it still, right? It wasn't till the 3300 and 5300 that the entry bodies got the ridiculous sensors too.

Dren fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 22, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
You're probably right. Also since I don't really have much to compare with we'll have to wait for real (professional) tests.

I will maintain though (and this is supported by it having most of the same autofocus tech as the D750) that the autofocus on this thing is truly amazing. It has no problem tracking quick little birds or distant (or even close!) birds in flight, and it is super fast, even in low light with a very long lens.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah the AF is one area where the 7200 is specced up over the all the other crop bodies. The AF should kick rear end.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I know I look at my d7000 and feel sad about it

My D7000 is less than two years, old. All I could afford. I've hit some limits with ISO and dynamic range in night shooting, and square crops give low print DPI, but it's still not a bad camera at all. Really, I'd want to go full frame, but that's just not affordable, so I'll make do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dren posted:

I didn't do real tests or anything but d7k looks about that good at 6400 in sufficient light. I shoot at 6400 on it all the time and at 4x6 size you would never ever know. Even at larger sizes it is fine.

This is good to know. I'm holding off to see if the price drops but I need it before April 19th as I'm going on holiday. My current Nikon D80 is pretty much a mess above ISO 800.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 22, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

This is good to know. I'm holding off to see if the price drops but I need it before April 19th as I'm going on holiday. My current Nikon D80 is pretty much a mess above ISP 800.

FYI I got my d7k for around $550 used in like-new condition, it's super affordable and a huge step up from the d80/90/200.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

This is good to know. I'm holding off to see if the price drops but I need it before April 19th as I'm going on holiday. My current Nikon D80 is pretty much a mess above ISO 800.

here's a full sized, well exposed ISO 6400 D7000 shot of a dove in my backyard from this morning (was shooting in 6400 by accident)

http://i.imgur.com/rB69uS8.jpg

I put luminance noise reduction of 15 on it in LR and sharpened it a tiny bit. You can see some grain at 100% but it's pretty solid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has the price of the 7100 second hand moved on KEH yet or is it going to take a bit of time? I'm on vacation in a few weeks and I'm so tempted to upgrade, but the pricing is still out of reach at $700~ second hand. Making me consider the 7000 again... argh drat you Nikon and your slight upgradings!

e: also just to check - are the battery chargers they use now the same as when I bought my D50? And if not, do they at least have the 'figure of 8' connector still? I'm likely to be buying from the US but I live in the UK and don't like using universal plugs on things if I can avoid it.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 24, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The charger for my d7k is different from my d200 charger. I expect the d50 one is different too.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has the price of the 7100 second hand moved on KEH yet or is it going to take a bit of time? I'm on vacation in a few weeks and I'm so tempted to upgrade, but the pricing is still out of reach at $700~ second hand. Making me consider the 7000 again... argh drat you Nikon and your slight upgradings!

e: also just to check - are the battery chargers they use now the same as when I bought my D50? And if not, do they at least have the 'figure of 8' connector still? I'm likely to be buying from the US but I live in the UK and don't like using universal plugs on things if I can avoid it.

Things don't seem to have moved yet. Like you said, KEH is still in the $700 range and so is the used section of Amazon.

I was hoping for a fast drop but I have a feeling that since the 7200 is an incremental improvement it might take a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VelociBacon posted:

The charger for my d7k is different from my d200 charger. I expect the d50 one is different too.

Does it have this connector for the power cable? That's the most important thing to me.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Things don't seem to have moved yet. Like you said, KEH is still in the $700 range and so is the used section of Amazon.

I was hoping for a fast drop but I have a feeling that since the 7200 is an incremental improvement it might take a while.

It's a similar path to the 7000->7100, does anyone remember the kind of speed/pricing difference that happened then?

What's KEHs delivery speeds like? I'm kind of used to being on my tiny island where you can 1-day (or even same-day some stuff) pretty much anything. I don't know where KEH is based and their proximity from Florida, where I'd have it shipped. Happy to wait until last minute if it makes a difference!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's KEHs delivery speeds like? I'm kind of used to being on my tiny island where you can 1-day (or even same-day some stuff) pretty much anything. I don't know where KEH is based and their proximity from Florida, where I'd have it shipped. Happy to wait until last minute if it makes a difference!

KEH is in Georgia. Anything I've ordered from them, with regular shipping, takes just a couple days to get to Northern Virginia. The last order I placed there was a used lens I ordered on the 17th and it was delivered on the 19th. I'd imagine it would be at least that fast to Florida, if not faster.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Why not use MPB? Once you add tax to the KEH prices they should be about the same and delivery is next day on MPB.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the shipping advice.

With regards to MPB - I've used them before and found them excellent, so I'd definitely use them again. I'm trying to work out what the final price for the 7100 on KEH is, but it's being a bit tricky and wanting card details and the like which I'm a bit hesitant to give unless I was going ahead with the purchase now. Before taxes it's $754 including shipping, MPB final including shipping is $880 which is a fair difference atm (the exchange rate right now is TERRIBLE mind so it's hard to do a real value comparison - and my girlfriend said she'd buy it for me as a present and she's US so it would make sense to have it delivered to her). But yeah, it's not obvious which to go for really... getting the package delivered to the US or UK doesn't really make much difference to me right now.

Maybe one of the sites will move faster than the other and that'll make a decision easier. MPB show you the shutter count which I like, shame KEH don't do that. Sometimes there's a camera at the same price/condition point but with many thousands of shutter clicks difference.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

but it's being a bit tricky and wanting card details and the like which I'm a bit hesitant to give unless I was going ahead with the purchase now. Before taxes it's $754 including shipping,

KEH collect sales tax, which is probably why they want your details before they'll give you a price.

Florida's Sales tax starts at 6% and goes up to 7.5%, so even at the worst case, it's going to be $810

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not a huge amount then, thanks for the clarification - the US tax system and it's multiple levels consistently confuses me. My girlfriend likes it when she's here because the prices in the shops are what she has to pay when she gets to the till. I think we should appreciate it more (except the fact those prices have 20% tax already on them, that part - not so fun!).

I've put an enquiry in with MPB if they'd accept a US card and a UK address as that'd make it the easiest. I'd pay the difference to my gf and everyone's a winner I think!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does it have this connector for the power cable? That's the most important thing to me.

It's a similar path to the 7000->7100, does anyone remember the kind of speed/pricing difference that happened then?

Yes it uses that connector.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

and a UK address as that'd make it the easiest.

Be aware if you do it this way, there's a chance that customs will intervene and slap a 20-25% import duty on it.

Having your GF ship it to you as a gift is probably safer in that regard, although that would mean a second shipping fee.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MPB are British, so there'd be no sales tax or anything like to worry about. However, I spoke to them and they're not set up to take non-EU cards and ship to a UK address. I could still do it through them, but means clearing my CC (which I plan to anyway in the next week) and then find an easy way for my gf to send the funds (but given we're on vacation next month means she could just pay for everything up to that value I guess). Complicated... hence I've put all the prices / details into a spreadsheet so I don't go mad!

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
So I'm still debating camera bodies. I do mostly low light stuff, in bars, at shows, things like that.

Im debating between the d700, the d610 and the 7200. My goal is to not spend more than $1500 on a body, and the less I spend on a body the more I can spend on glass. I don't need fast burst, but I do need low light autofocus and iso performance. I've thought about the 7100 as well, but if Im going to go DX, I figure I might as well get the one with -3ev. Would either the 700 or the 610 be better than the 7200?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch posted:

So I'm still debating camera bodies. I do mostly low light stuff, in bars, at shows, things like that.

Im debating between the d700, the d610 and the 7200. My goal is to not spend more than $1500 on a body, and the less I spend on a body the more I can spend on glass. I don't need fast burst, but I do need low light autofocus and iso performance. I've thought about the 7100 as well, but if Im going to go DX, I figure I might as well get the one with -3ev. Would either the 700 or the 610 be better than the 7200?

You should really buy a used EX+ or LN- from KEH and pick up a couple extra lenses. You can get a lot of camera for $1500.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People

VelociBacon posted:

You should really buy a used EX+ or LN- from KEH and pick up a couple extra lenses. You can get a lot of camera for $1500.

Thats exactly why I was asking. I saw a brg d700 on KEH and there are some good deals on D610's as well. If I can spend less than $1500 and get enough camera I'd much rather spend it on glass.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
D700 is an awesome camera as long as you don't care about video. Also don't let that 12 megapixel sensor scare you off, it can do 20x30 prints just fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Welp, that escalated quickly...

I get to join the 'Least Competent with Latest Equipment' crew at least...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Welp, that escalated quickly...

I get to join the 'Least Competent with Latest Equipment' crew at least...
:hfive:

Join me in the desolate land of "people forced to use Capture NX-D"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

They've changed but your power cable will work

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kenshin posted:

:hfive:

Join me in the desolate land of "people forced to use Capture NX-D"

Haha I really hope they sort that out as yeah, I shoot RAW+JPEG. I'll just catalog my JPEGs and backup my RAWs until Lightroom gets the update.

evil_bunnY posted:

They've changed but your power cable will work

Thanks for confirmation, however see 2 posts above ;)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Coming from a Nikon D80, will the lack of controls on the D5100 be much of a hindrance? I've been uming and arring over picking up a D7000 pre-owned. What stops me is I can trade in the D80 and a few lenses I no longer use and pretty much get D5100 for no extra cost, while the D7000 will still cost me probably around £150-200 on top of the trade in and with the picture quality being the same it's got me second guessing the D7000 for my purposes. One plus the D5100 might have for me also is the weight, my camera lives in my rucksack with a 35mm on it so being light will be a benefit or maybe the stronger body of the D7000 might be better in this case as it might get bashed about a bit? What are peoples thoughts?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The D5100 doesn't have an autofocus screw, so it won't let you autofocus with any AF lenses you might have collected with your D80, but the D7000 will.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

The D5100 doesn't have an autofocus screw, so it won't let you autofocus with any AF lenses you might have collected with your D80, but the D7000 will.

That won't be an issue I only have one af lens, a 50mm one which is barely used since I picked up a 35mm and will likely be traded in.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Things you might miss on D5100 coming from D80:
- AF screw drive
- Top status LCD (the B/W one)
- Front exposure wheel (controlling aperture on D80)

As far as I can tell those are the only three features that don't have an equivalent or better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not having a front wheel for aperture should be a deal breaker for anyone into photography enough to be reading this thread.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Not having a front wheel for aperture should be a deal breaker for anyone into photography enough to be reading this thread.

Yeah loosing the front wheel pains me, but from what I've read you only need to hold a button to change the function of the back wheel so it's not the end of the world.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Get out maybe?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I am incredibly quick changing the shutter, aperture and ISO on my 5100 using the function buttons and a single scroll wheel. But it was my first DSLR so I didn't know anything else before it.

My F100 has separate wheels for aperture and shutter, and it slows me down because I am not used to it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I'm in Program mode with my D3200, the wheel on the back of the camera controls aperture. Am I doing it wrong?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Leperflesh posted:

When I'm in Program mode with my D3200, the wheel on the back of the camera controls aperture. Am I doing it wrong?

If you're in program mode I think it'll actually be cycling aperture and shutter speed together (basically running through all the pairs of settings that will yield a proper exposure, as determined by the camera).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've decided to just got for the D5100 and save my pennies. My free time for my hobby is going to me light over the next year and a half so I can't justify the extra cost right now (money is tight). The extra controls I'll miss I'm sure but I spend 75% of my time in aperture mode anyway and time in manual is spent on landscapes or still-life where the extra time taken isn't an issue. I'll revalue in a year or 2 when I have more spare time and more money, should have some kind of pre-owned market for D7200's by then too :) .

Thanks for all the advice.

Leperflesh posted:

If that's what you're after you want (A)perture mode. As Mr. Despair said, program sets the aperture and shutter for you and you can shift along to different combinations but you never actually fully control either. It's like a semi-auto mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

If you're in program mode I think it'll actually be cycling aperture and shutter speed together (basically running through all the pairs of settings that will yield a proper exposure, as determined by the camera).

Right, yeah, I sort of meant that. That is: I am controlling aperture, and then the camera is controlling shutter speed to compensate. Although I suppose you could look at it as being the other way around, too. Hm.

Along those lines (and sorry if this is a stupid newbie question): how does ISO interact with my manually-set aperture/shutter speed in Program mode? That is, suppose I'm outdoors in good light and I set ISO to 400, dial the aperture all the way open, and take a photo. Now, I change ISO to 800, again dial the aperture all the way open, and take the same photo.

Does the shutter speed stay the same? Surely the camera still has to not over- or under- expose the shot. What is my ISO setting even doing, here?