Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

It Came From Reddit(tm)

tl;dr: gf's mother quit their job for unexplained reasons, still doesn't have a job, fosters 10 dogs, and lives with several other people who also don't have jobs. Redditor's girlfriend keeps enabling helping mom with money. Now redditor is being asked to "loan" $2k to the mom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49VgccPwC_U

e: youtube dumb

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Blackjack2000 posted:

Yeah, at this point I'm pretty sure that my dad is a compulsive CD buyer. He never sells them, at this point I think he has several thousand. He usually buys 4 or 5 a month. I know that doesn't really add up to "several thousand" unless you do it for 50 years, but he's been at it for a while, and maybe it used to be worse?

This is my dad to a T. Except my dad has been collecting vinyl albums for the past 40 years

I mean, yeah, they retain value better, but I'm not going to have anywhere to put them when I inherit them...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Not a Children posted:

This is my dad to a T. Except my dad has been collecting vinyl albums for the past 40 years

I mean, yeah, they retain value better, but I'm not going to have anywhere to put them when I inherit them...

Vinyl feels a little different to me because the sound quality is kinda nostalgia-inducing.

CDs are... yeah why not just use your spotify account?

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 3, 2015

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I wonder if vinyl retaining its value will stop being a thing when the generation that was around pre 80s all die.

I see very few people born 90s onwards giving two shits about some old timey black discs.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I wonder if vinyl retaining its value will stop being a thing when the generation that was around pre 80s all die.

I see very few people born 90s onwards giving two shits about some old timey black discs.

They will retain their value like wax cylinders. Even DJs and audiophiles love the natural sound of a wax cylinder.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah, I can imagine their value dropping off a cliff once the population reaches the point where those in their 60s listened to CDs, not LPs in their youth.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
There's absolutely a sizeable niche market of people born post 1990 who love vinyl. That's why vinyl sections came back to record stores and most bands started pressing at least limited numbers for new releases again. It's not grandpas buying Daft Punk and Arcade Fire vinyl.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 3, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Nail Rat posted:

Draft Punk

Bad with money, get some better insulation.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Grumpwagon posted:

No, it's the kind that saves in fuel by traveling close to another Punk at speed. Good with money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Grumpwagon posted:

God drat phone auto correct :negative:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
drat physical media. My wife likes to buy lovely DVD's that go straight to NetFlix anyway. There's some asshat Katherine Heigl holding handcuffs DVD case in our entertainment center that just mocks me. She probably paid $20 for that piece of poo poo.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Nostalgia pricing is risky. My mom had two unused Beatles' tickets that she held on to for 40 years before selling. We guessed that it was likely people who really cared about unused Beatles' tickets were probably at peak disposable income. Wait much longer and they start dying off or moving to fixed incomes.

Vinyl will probably hold its value okay. It's easier to buy a record player now than it was when I was a kid. Obviously, a particular media's value is tied in part to ease of enjoying it. That's why I'm investing all my retirement in flea market VHS tapes because everyone has a VCR stashed in their closet. And who doesn't like juggling S-video, component, and RCA cables?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

drat physical media. My wife likes to buy lovely DVD's that go straight to NetFlix anyway. There's some asshat Katherine Heigl holding handcuffs DVD case in our entertainment center that just mocks me. She probably paid $20 for that piece of poo poo.

Depending on the rating, send it to me please.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Depending on the rating, send it to me please.

I challenge you to get even a semi from that picture. Bad with money from every perspective.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Krispy Kareem posted:

I challenge you to get even a semi from that picture. Bad with money from every perspective.

2% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

:eyepop:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I keep trying to convince my dad to start selling his albums now, while there's still a decent number of people who grew up with them with disposable income. He's got some genuinely valuable stuff, like a first-run pressing of Meet the Beatles, an original signed Chet Baker album with stubs and a program from one of his first performances and a ton of rare foreign pressings and some obscure bootlegs and stuff, but the majority of it is just typical dadrock, jazz, and blues. Good music, but I can't imagine there's a huge contingent who would want to buy that stuff at anywhere close to collectors value. I'm afraid one day we're just not going to have anywhere to put them and we'll just have to sell 8000 LPs for pennies on the dollar in bulk.

On the plus side, all of it is in pristine condition, and most of it was acquired through estate sales and goodwill, so we should be able to sell as mint and at least break even.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
I thought LPs held value horribly, since drat near everybody's been holding onto them cause "they'll be collector's items!" and there's a glut.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Pretty much the usual, truck equity and living paycheck to paycheck on 100k/year: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/31b502/how_am_i_living_paycheck_to_paycheck_on_100kyear/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Krispy Kareem posted:

You know I once had my apartment decorated with really bad movie posters like The Marine and Failure to Launch, that would have been perfect.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

His truck isn't even close to making him poor on $100k with apparently $2300 or so in fixed monthly expenses

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

My little brother was born in 1993 and owns a good number of Bad Religion vinyl. His friends collect different kinds. People like different things.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

With 38k in debt on it, he can't have much equity in his truck.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

quote:

I am not even eligible to live at any of the cheaper apartments because they're tax credit low income housing and I make too much money to live there. Thanks Obama...

Makes 100k, blames "being poor" on government not providing him with subsidized housing.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Vinyl is Bad with Audio, not Bad with Money.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Christ almighty!

quote:

The truck itself is $715/m and the full coverage insurance is $240. The thousand a month isn't even calculating diesel. I would sell the truck but I'm already ~$8k upside-down on it and just spend another $8k to put in a new transmission. Truck has 50k miles on it and the dealer I bought it from swapped the transmissions with a truck with 300k and hoped the buyer wouldn't notice. I was the buyer, and I didn't. I am so screwed on this mistake that I figure I might as well focus on paying off the upside down debt on the truck rather than taking a $16k hit and paying for something that I don't even have.

Edit: owes 38k on a used Duramax 2500 HD, and must be full of options, because the MSRP of a 2015 is 32k.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 3, 2015

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Keep throwing good money after bad! That's what this thread has taught me.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

The Mandingo posted:

Christ almighty!

Edit: owes 38k on a used Duramax 2500 HD, and must be full of options, because the MSRP of a 2015 is 32k.

It's funny that it's not so much he has an expensive truck that's bad with money, just that he apparently got a lovely truck and a lovely deal that makes it bad with money.

Also, I can't imagine having overdraft fees as a problem. If you make more than like 50k and that's an issue you need to seek serious help, more than a forum on the Internet is going to be able to provide.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Mandingo posted:

Christ almighty!

You won't ever find a new one for that money. The msrp you listed is for a gas engine 2500HD 2wd. The diesel engine is another 7k or so on top of that. I have never seen a duramax on a dealer lot, new, for less than $45k. Most of them are $50k+, and purchased by people who can write off the depreciation. Not trying to defend the truck purchase, just saying they cost way more than you think.

Also, I bet the transmission story is bullshit and he killed it with an aggressive engine tune.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That coal ain't gonna roll itself.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

rdb posted:

You won't ever find a new one for that money. The msrp you listed is for a gas engine 2500HD 2wd. The diesel engine is another 7k or so on top of that. I have never seen a duramax on a dealer lot, new, for less than $45k. Most of them are $50k+, and purchased by people who can write off the depreciation. Not trying to defend the truck purchase, just saying they cost way more than you think.

Also, I bet the transmission story is bullshit and he killed it with an aggressive engine tune.
Agreed with your pricing comments.

Based on loan amount, I originally assumed he had bought new... Either way, what a tard.

I hope he has twin Stacks and a mean tune.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

Agreed with your pricing comments.

Based on loan amount, I originally assumed he had bought new... Either way, what a tard.

I hope he has twin Stacks and a mean tune.

Looking at how much he owed I thought it was new. It shows you how dodgy used truck salesmen are. It's a stupid decision given that he could've had the same stupid finance for a new truck with all the options and no other used vehicle issues.

The reddit responses are pretty stupid given that he's obviously blowing a lot of money with a quick read of the OP.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

The reddit responses are pretty stupid given that he's obviously blowing a lot of money with a quick read of the OP.

Are they though? The first three top level responses are variations on the theme of "even with your dumb truck, you still are obviously blowing a ton of money on something you haven't told us about". Which seems pretty on point to me.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

Well no sense lying about it. Gotta let the shame burn me.

I just spent $2200 on a 3D printer :smith:

hahahaha Jesus. Jesus Christ.

Printer just got here and 80% through the very first example print provided by the manufacturer, the unit fries out and one of the axis fails.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BossRighteous posted:

hahahaha Jesus. Jesus Christ.

Printer just got here and 80% through the very first example print provided by the manufacturer, the unit fries out and one of the axis fails.

I built an ultimaker 2 with my buddy and those loving things are so finicky. he's spent all kinds of money putting a new feeder on it because the original design is so shoddy it would make the feeder motor overheat and turn off. I'd love a 3D printer, but the current ones are a project just to keep them running.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Isn't it under warranty?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

My friend/former coworker, who is currently going through a divorce and move from the NE to Chicago, posted a status update on Facebook about how she's been so busy with those things, and now that she finally finished her work for the quarter, it was time to celebrate by going shopping.

Then her next status update: "Pay off credit card or buy Coach purse? Hmmm..... BUY COACH PURSE!!! :)"

:cripes:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'll bet it's got tons of comments like "TREAT YOSELF" and "nothing like retail therapy!" too :negative:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

Are they though? The first three top level responses are variations on the theme of "even with your dumb truck, you still are obviously blowing a ton of money on something you haven't told us about". Which seems pretty on point to me.

They weren't when I looked. If only they used a forum type format instead of upvoting pushing the lovely responses to the surface first.

SpelledBackwards posted:

My friend/former coworker, who is currently going through a divorce and move from the NE to Chicago, posted a status update on Facebook about how she's been so busy with those things, and now that she finally finished her work for the quarter, it was time to celebrate by going shopping.

Then her next status update: "Pay off credit card or buy Coach purse? Hmmm..... BUY COACH PURSE!!! :)"

:cripes:

I don't even know what a coach purse is so it must be essential to continue living. :v: Nothing quite like buying now so you can buy less in the future. I do find it strange as I was told from an early age never to buy things on credit or more specifically to save up rather than pay interest.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 4, 2015

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Guy I work with us going through a divorce, and has to move because he can't afford the mortgage on his own income. Almost everything that's coming in is going toward closing costs and other moving expenses.

For the past few weeks, he's been spending upwards of 200-300 a week on lunch and eating out. A couple days ago, he was bitching that he has only about 100 to his name because his annual car/homeowners insurance bill just hit.

He just posted on Facebook a picture of his new $300 tattoo, paid for with his new credit card. :downs:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

zamin posted:

He just posted on Facebook a picture of his new $300 tattoo, paid for with his new credit card. :downs:

I know plenty of people that like getting a new tattoo as soon as they have the money. It's great that they save but it's a shame that they just spend it immediately. Cool tattoos are more important and exciting than earning interest (4%+ is possible with a savings account here).

I guess it's not so bad that my friends save and don't use credit cards. Most know if they had a credit card they'd be bad with money with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Devian666 posted:

(4%+ is possible with a savings account here).

Where the gently caress do you live, and what bank is this?

• Locked thread