Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Knocked out a couple of Australian maps this afternoon, god the terrain.party info can be pretty useless sometimes, but it's a good starting point;

This is Canberra, Australia's capital city. An interesting map because Canberra was designed from the ground up to be a capital city and a "city of the future", as the lead designer Walter Burley Griffin famously said. Sounds perfect for Cities: Skylines' designers - make a better capital for Australia than Wally! You have the advantage of sidestepping the bureaucratic nightmare and infighting that caused Burley Griffin to quit halfway through in disgust.

This is Wagga Wagga, a small town of about 50-60,000 people in the state of New South Wales. It's New South Wales' biggest inland city (we don't count Albury-Wodonga, which is actually two cities straddling a state border that has grown into one larger city). It also happens to be my hometown! The C:S highways are overkill in the extreme, but what are you gonna do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Thanks dude I'll be playing around in them, I saw someone did Coffs Harbour when I was browsing the Steam workshop a while ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Konig posted:

The C:S highways are overkill in the extreme, but what are you gonna do?

You could probably replicate the Sturt with an onramp, to be honest.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

MikeJF posted:

You could probably replicate the Sturt with an onramp, to be honest.

Hah, pretty much, though if we're being honest the highway running through the middle of town is 4 lanes across. C:S just isn't made for simulating small towns, and that's completely OK.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Konig posted:

This is Wagga Wagga, a small town of about 50-60,000 people in the state of New South Wales. It's New South Wales' biggest inland city (we don't count Albury-Wodonga, which is actually two cities straddling a state border that has grown into one larger city). It also happens to be my hometown! The C:S highways are overkill in the extreme, but what are you gonna do?
Pffft technicalities. At least we've got a real freeway.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 3, 2015

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

The Deadly Hume posted:

Pffft technicalities. At least we've got a real freeway.

Sup Albury bro! I'm from Wagga, but currently live in Thurgoona. Very tempted to make an Albury map next, the central freeway is very appealing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Konig posted:

Sup Albury bro! I'm from Wagga, but currently live in Thurgoona. Very tempted to make an Albury map next, the central freeway is very appealing.
Might as well, it'd save me doing it. It's basically the river and all the anabranches I find tedious.

Back in the day I made one for SimCity 4 from a topographic map (back before DEM data was reasonably accessible) which was very tedious but it did the job. Hardest part would be working out how to get the river to look good since it doesn't really show up on the elevation data, but from the Wagga one it seems like you'd do a good job.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

The Deadly Hume posted:

Might as well, it'd save me doing it. It's basically the river and all the anabranches I find tedious.

Back in the day I made one for SimCity 4 from a topographic map (back before DEM data was reasonably accessible) which was very tedious but it did the job. Hardest part would be working out how to get the river to look good since it doesn't really show up on the elevation data, but from the Wagga one it seems like you'd do a good job.

Just gridded it out and did it like one of those "copy the picture" things, ended up eyeballing a lot of it, but close enough for anything that's not a perfect reconstruction of the town.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Do any mods kinda force in overtaking, or at least make it so service vehicles don't stop in the middle of the road and instead park on the kerb? That'd solve a lot of traffic issues.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do any mapmakers have any tips on how to do water flow in oceanic maps that are just made of islands?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
more like Cities: 'Stralyans

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Do any mods kinda force in overtaking, or at least make it so service vehicles don't stop in the middle of the road and instead park on the kerb? That'd solve a lot of traffic issues.

Seriously, I'm a little peeved that the game shipped with this part of the traffic system working the way it does. It seems like such a simple thing to address. Even worse, it seems like it must be partially intentional; making service vehicles block a lane has to be something they did on purpose. Maybe they were assuming they'd get the lane-usage behavior working better before launch?

I know big complex games are always going to have some rough edges, and there will always be a couple of bugs/problems that just make you go "HOW could they DO this?!" Well, this is one of those for me!

MikeJF posted:

Do any mapmakers have any tips on how to do water flow in oceanic maps that are just made of islands?

I haven't even touched the editor yet, but: Could you make a map that's just one big, gentle slope from one side to the other, plop water sources all along the uphill side, and then build up your islands? So you'd effectively have a map-wide river?

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 3, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Seriously though, what should I do if my oil industry doesn't have enough customers? I installed extra freight stations and a harbor and they're still bitching and going abandoned.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Recalculating paths more often than at generation or if a leg gets deleted would melt your CPU.

Not blocking traffic is probably a doable mod, but if a service vehicle stopping for 5 seconds is causing lasting traffic problems there is probably something you can do to improve the network.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Hate greenspace? Then, check out this paintable terrain texture mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIgHRHK_F_w

DEO3 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 3, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Zeno-25 posted:

Sooo, any word on the train bug?

Not sure if this is your only issue, but your track change triangles are too small. You need to make that they are least one train long or you will have trains getting stuck at them all the time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Are there any addons that are known to slow the game down?

I was playing this morning and everything was fine, then I took a break for a couple hours. Loaded it up now, and it's sooo choppy. Was having the same kind of issue last night.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Use sea level to set sea level and you should be good. Water sources should be avoided unless necessary because they're loving terrible.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

Seriously though, what should I do if my oil industry doesn't have enough customers? I installed extra freight stations and a harbor and they're still bitching and going abandoned.

Do you have enough commercial?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Hagop posted:

Not sure if this is your only issue, but your track change triangles are too small. You need to make that they are least one train long or you will have trains getting stuck at them all the time.
Yeah, I'm finding a lot of traffic 'bugs' are from poor layout design. I got the cars using one lane before but then I realized my main feeder was just skirting the main downtown, of course everyone was trying to turn right. Now I have a one direction 6 lane going directly downtown and all the cars flower out at the end of it, its great.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Use sea level to set sea level and you should be good. Water sources should be avoided unless necessary because they're loving terrible.

I found setting more water-sources along the length of the river and adjusting their height as I went helped a lot.

Water "source" are actually "level guides" -- they'll create water if the water level in their area is below their 'target', but they'll remove water if it's above their target. If your underlying terrain is fairly flat this can create rivers running 'backwards' but if you have a decent slope then it seems to work fine.

Of course, you've still got to trench out the rivers pretty deep to avoid periodic flooding, which is what you seemed to have been having trouble with.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hubis posted:

I found setting more water-sources along the length of the river and adjusting their height as I went helped a lot.

Water "source" are actually "level guides" -- they'll create water if the water level in their area is below their 'target', but they'll remove water if it's above their target. If your underlying terrain is fairly flat this can create rivers running 'backwards' but if you have a decent slope then it seems to work fine.

Of course, you've still got to trench out the rivers pretty deep to avoid periodic flooding, which is what you seemed to have been having trouble with.

Water sources are really inconsistent at times. On my delta map I was unable to actually get one of the rivers to normalize despite about an hour of work on it, and even now the water flow almost completely cuts out for about 50-100 feet before a tidal wave of water follows it up. I have no clue why this is. At the same time my water sources are still flooding the map and then dropping their water level somehow, despite them draining into the sea, which should basically absorb/destroy any source spawned water put into it. If you're doing a map with one or two distinct rivers it shouldn't be an issue to use water sources, but if you're doing a map with a bunch of islands there's no point at all to try to do it with water sources.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DEO3 posted:

Hate greenspace? Then, check out this paintable terrain texture mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIgHRHK_F_w

Looks great. In a similar vein, does anyone have any tips/mods for making farm areas look more like... farms? The limited zoning along the roads seems to make all my fields comically tiny...

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Check Strictoasters guide on pretty farming areas on youtube.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Moridin920 posted:

Do you have enough commercial?

I have a lot but I could try placing more. Do oil producing industries sell to commercial? My normal industry sector is doing fine.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

I have a lot but I could try placing more. Do oil producing industries sell to commercial? My normal industry sector is doing fine.

From what I understand specialized industry ships good to normal industry, which in turn ships to commercial.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

From what I understand specialized industry ships good to normal industry, which in turn ships to commercial.

Specialized will ship to Unspecialized, or Power Plants in the case of Coal/Oil. They'll also sometimes Export.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Assuming I don't care about pollution in the area, would it be a good idea to build an oil power plant nearby, then?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Presumably. I've actually seen trucks going from my ORE field to my Coal plant, but I'm not positive about Oil.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zeno-25 posted:

Sooo, any word on the train bug?

Doing pretty good, otherwise.

I don't know what the train bug is but have you made any junctions? My trains got jammed up just because there were too many of them on single tracks so now my city looks like Transport Tycoon with double and triple tracks.

e:

I haven't had a problem since I gave the trains that extra realestate but I'm sure there are better approaches.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 3, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

By train bug, do you mean the thing where trains spawn from off map to go to every station you have connected to the outside line, potentially causing a spam of trains to clog your tracks? I don't think that's actually a bug.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i think he's talking about how trains leaving your map, jam up off screen. this goes all the way back into your town, and jams up all your trains. then the whole column only moves by one train at a time.

your interior networks can be separate and fine, but there's no way to stop the clog happening off screen. I'd consider that a bug. Unless the gameplay feature intended is "don't use trains."

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Played this game for five hours straight last night until 2am.

I haven't played a game for five hours straight in a very long time. A+++ would buy again.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

crabrock posted:

i think he's talking about how trains leaving your map, jam up off screen. this goes all the way back into your town, and jams up all your trains. then the whole column only moves by one train at a time.

your interior networks can be separate and fine, but there's no way to stop the clog happening off screen. I'd consider that a bug. Unless the gameplay feature intended is "don't use trains."

Ah, yeah, that actually is a bug. No idea how to fix it.

Half the time when people post complaining about "OMG BAD GAEM FULL OF BUGS" it's actually that they're just Bad At Roads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hailthefish posted:

Ah, yeah, that actually is a bug. No idea how to fix it.

Half the time when people post complaining about "OMG BAD GAEM FULL OF BUGS" it's actually that they're just Bad At Roads.

Yeah I have this problem too. One side of the map can handle trains fine, the other side jams up even with light traffic. So I just deleted the connection on that side. CO just needs to make it so outside rail connections instantly remove the train. From videos I've seen with the free camera it seems that the connection tile delete the train 1 car at a time and the train has to stop while this happens, sometimes it gets jammed.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Help I'm too simple minded to understand basic traffic ideas. My city of offensive grids is clogging at the excessive intersections :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Convert you round-about to a highway. Highway based roundabouts work much better than one-way based round-abouts since people actually use all the lanes. Also consider converting the intersection on the left to one as well.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I have this problem too. One side of the map can handle trains fine, the other side jams up even with light traffic. So I just deleted the connection on that side. CO just needs to make it so outside rail connections instantly remove the train. From videos I've seen with the free camera it seems that the connection tile delete the train 1 car at a time and the train has to stop while this happens, sometimes it gets jammed.

The awful kludgy technique I used was to have only one station in my city actually connected to the outside line and opposite it another station on the internal circuit. Makes for some gently caress ugly traffic convoys scrambling across that tiny bit of road, but stops the eternal train jamming.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
the roundabout is already highway, though it seems most of the traffic is before the left intersection so I'm not sure if rounding that about will help.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Add more exists to your highway that connect to the ends of the grids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Asproigerosis posted:

Help I'm too simple minded to understand basic traffic ideas. My city of offensive grids is clogging at the excessive intersections :(

It sounds like you already know the answer? You probably need to delete 75% of those side road connections to that main feeder.

e. The less imminent domain solution is to make them one-way away from the main street which removes the traffic light.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 3, 2015