Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I dont understand how moving extremely fast through air works, but when I'm in my car going 100 km/h, even a tiny opening in the window feels like a blast. How did the convertable equivalent of a plane going at jet speeds, with paper thin walls, not just fly apart?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I dont understand how moving extremely fast through air works, but when I'm in my car going 100 km/h, even a tiny opening in the window feels like a blast. How did the convertable equivalent of a plane going at jet speeds, with paper thin walls, not just fly apart?

The hole was in an area of relatively static air pressure.

Ever notice parts on your car where the rain water doesn't blow off even at highway speeds? Much of the fuselage of a jet like that is a symetrical-ish tube. I'm sure it was windy, but it wasn't enough to destroy the remainder of the airframe.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

The Ferret King posted:

The hole was in an area of relatively static air pressure.

Ever notice parts on your car where the rain water doesn't blow off even at highway speeds? Much of the fuselage of a jet like that is a symetrical-ish tube. I'm sure it was windy, but it wasn't enough to destroy the remainder of the airframe.

I've read passenger accounts where the airframe was visibly bowing--I believe up to a meter--down at the site of the roof being gone. I know you're right, but I wouldn't have wanted to be in the air much longer than the 12 or so minutes it took the pilots to land that aircraft, all things considered.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

hobbesmaster posted:

More importantly it didn't sever a hydraulic line. JAL123 flew around for quite some time without its entire empennage.

It was almost completely uncontrollable and then crashed into a mountain though.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Guys, I hate to say it, but we've been found out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

quote:

My experience started as a freshly hired 25 year-old flight engineer for a major airline. My starting pay? $24,000 per year. During initial training guys worried about making ends meet.

Whoever wrote that forgot to adjust for inflation. $24k in 1988 dollars is about $50k today

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Spaced God posted:

Big news on the A-10 front as well.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
In answer to the visibility query (and apologies for late reply, I am downroute)

To continue beyond OM/4NM/final fix the atis or if passed tower controllers visibility/rvr report is the controlling limit. If tower has passed a legal RVR, and in met like that we'd be expecting one, then that explains why they have continued. Is there a CVR/Tower/Approach controller tape available?

As to the rest, wit for the report as that is prime icing weather and that play merry hell with controllability. I've had thrust indications totally lock for 5 minutes intone climb because the engines internal pitot tube froze.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Was there RVR for the runway they used? It needs to be for the runway you're conducting the approach to, correct?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

Was there RVR for the runway they used? It needs to be for the runway you're conducting the approach to, correct?

Yes, has to be relevant runway, normally on asking from tower (more up to date than metar/atis/d-atis). Also the more I read the more the phrase (assuming it wasn't the rnav, as that's good to -20C uncorrected) "Cold Weather Temperature Correction" springs to mind. All runways with an lvp departure minimum or an ILS will normally have RVR kit. Also, if braking action is reported good, only the touchdown RVR is relevant. Theoretically all others could be 75m. But then you get factorisation crud and that is a nightmare.

http://code7700.com/approach_ban.html

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
KDEN wins April Fools

http://www.flydenver.com/newworldorder

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

:(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Locator posted:

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

:(

https://web.archive.org/web/20150401234015/http://www.flydenver.com/newworldorder

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Spaced God posted:

How did all of you guys manage to hide this until this one guy came out and blew this open? I mean literally thousands of you (including my tea party anti-gubberment stepfather) were getting government money to mind control me!

I figure it's hard to keep so many of you quiet since 1988.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 2, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

xaarman posted:

Trying to schedule with an ATP examiner, but they are being problematic with their availability, bah.

Also what's the average cost for a 1st Class Flight Physical? Is it $80 and a docs visit or is it more in depth?

In case anyone was wondering, it was $100. Standard evaluation with a bit more focus then I was expecting on visual acuity. They found something with one eye which I had to go to an optometrist for an evaluation. I passed now, but slightly nervous it could get worse (which they said 99% won't happen but IT COULD.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Les Abend and Miles O'Brien were just talking about how "low cost carriers are dangerous because they hire low time pilots" and seemed to lump American LCCs in there with their European counterparts. It reminded me why I shouldn't watch mainstream media talk about aviation, even with "experts".

I...don't think Allegiant, Spirit, or Southwest are hiring at what they deem low time, regardless of 1500 being in place, but thanks for playing.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Les Abend and Miles O'Brien were just talking about how "low cost carriers are dangerous because they hire low time pilots" and seemed to lump American LCCs in there with their European counterparts. It reminded me why I shouldn't watch mainstream media talk about aviation, even with "experts".

I...don't think Allegiant, Spirit, or Southwest are hiring at what they deem low time, regardless of 1500 being in place, but thanks for playing.

Don't forget that LCCs have inferior training because they fall under different regulations and aren't held to the same standards as real airlines

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Its easy to look up at least...

Southwest posted:

Certificates/Ratings: U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Unrestricted U.S. Type Rating on a B-737 not required for interview, but required for employment1. "B-737 CIRC.APCH.-VMC ONLY" limitation is accepted.
Flight Experience: 2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours Turbine total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in Command is required2. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed-wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, etc. NO other time is counted.3

allegiant posted:

What are the minimum requirements to be a First Officer?

· High School diploma or equivalent; College preferred
· Minimum of 1,500 flights hours (fixed wing), Jet, and PIC time preferred
o All pilots must verify their flight time by logbooks
· Must have current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
· Must have a valid driver’s license
· Must have a valid passport
· Airline Transport Pilot Certificate, Airplane Multiengine Land (AMEL)
· Has not reached the age 65

spirit posted:

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• 4,000 hours total time in fixed wing aircraft.
• 1,000 hours in multi-engine aircraft (at least 50 hours flown within the last 12 months.)
• Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
• Current Airline Transport Pilot License.
• Valid passport/documents with the ability to travel in and out of the USA and all cities/countries served by Spirit Airlines now and in the future.

PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS:
• 4,000 hours total time in fixed wing aircraft.
• 1,000 hours in multi-engine aircraft (at least 50 hours flown within the last 12 months.)
• A320 Type Rating.
• Undergraduate degree from an Accredited Four Year College or University.
• Experience in 121 airlines or turbojet aircraft.
• Experience in aircraft equipped with EFIS and/or FMS.
• Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
• Current Airline Transport Pilot License.
• Valid passport/documents with the ability to travel in and out of the USA and all cities/countries served by Spirit Airlines now and in the future.

Spirit has surprisingly picky minimums.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Man, that 1500 hour rule just feels like a wall you'll never be able to climb. I got my PPL, but it felt like every hour of flight time I earned just took so much sacrifice. I'm not sure I even hit 100 due to financial restrictions, 1000 seems nearly impossible.

I'm more and more convinced every day that we're going to join the rest of the world with indentured servants cadet programs.

Congrats to all of you who soldier on.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dalrain posted:

Man, that 1500 hour rule just feels like a wall you'll never be able to climb. I got my PPL, but it felt like every hour of flight time I earned just took so much sacrifice. I'm not sure I even hit 100 due to financial restrictions, 1000 seems nearly impossible.

I'm more and more convinced every day that we're going to join the rest of the world with indentured servants cadet programs.

Congrats to all of you who soldier on.

This was the point of the story leading into their segment, which I missed the first couple minutes of: the seeming ridiculousness of pumping six figures into training and a degree to make $22-24k starting at a regional, which seems a liberal estimate based on what I've seen at AirlinePilotCentral in the past.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

This was the point of the story leading into their segment, which I missed the first couple minutes of: the seeming ridiculousness of pumping six figures into training and a degree to make $22-24k starting at a regional, which seems a liberal estimate based on what I've seen at AirlinePilotCentral in the past.

Clearly anyone that does that is insane and thus not qualified to hold a first class medical.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Clearly anyone that does that is insane and thus not qualified to hold a first class medical.

Don't tell the FAA this. :shepicide:

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
If you are able to get a European work permit try any of the following (no particular order)

Wizzair (320) https://wizzair.com/en-GB/career/pilots
easyJet (320) (handled by CTC) https://careers.easyjet.com/pilots/
Jet2 (737/757) http://www.jet2careers.com/pilots
CTC Wings (abinitio) http://www.ctcwings.com/ (how I started)
CTC Flexicrew (with ATP) (all sorts, global supplier) http://www.ctcwings.com/europe/courses/atp (must convert to EASA licence, if you don't screw up they will place you with an airline)

Oxford/Parc/Ryanair either don't give contracts or don't recognise unions. However, all let you build hours in a heavily regulated environment ,and you cannot deny that Ryanair's kit is modern. The above do.

Oh, and by deciding to work as a pilot kiss goodbye to a normal social life as you walk out of the door.

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 4, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
While I'm at it, how do the pilots here feel about the mandatory retirement age? It seems from a layman's perspective a little weird in 2015.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It hosed all of us. No lube.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

ZombieLenin posted:

While I'm at it, how do the pilots here feel about the mandatory retirement age? It seems from a layman's perspective a little weird in 2015.

The rule itself? It depends on your age. If you're young it guarantees people senior to you will retire, if you're older and aren't on track for retirement it may gently caress you.

The recent changes? It gently caress all of us. No lube.

Dalrain posted:

Consider yourself lucky, for most of the last 30 years 1500 hours wasn't even close to competitive hiring minimums at a regional.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150407-officials-try-to-shed-light-on-why-wichita-falls-runway-lights-were-off.ece

Check those Notices to Airmen, folks.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

That sucks. I can easily see that happening though. Really wish they'd update the NOTAM system.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

How is it that if you can't get the lights on 33L, you don't just try for 33C? Why would they just turn around and go home?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rickety Cricket posted:

How is it that if you can't get the lights on 33L, you don't just try for 33C? Why would they just turn around and go home?

The article is really confusing. Trying to correlate the airport diagram and the article it looks like the lit runways are significantly smaller. There's still a precision approach though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah but the significantly smaller, center runway, is still over 10,000ft long and 150 ft wide. It should have been fine.

Actually every runway there would have been fine except the closed one.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So it sounds like it's an uncontrolled airport at night, who issues the landing clearance, the approach controller? Wouldn't they have denied 33L and just offered another?

Unless they were just cleared for the approach and given "landing at your discretion"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SeaborneClink posted:

So it sounds like it's an uncontrolled airport at night, who issues the landing clearance, the approach controller? Wouldn't they have denied 33L and just offered another?

Unless they were just cleared for the approach and given "landing at your discretion"

When an airport is not towered, or the tower is closed, the ATC facility having IFR jurisdiction for that airport will issue approach and departure clearances only. Runway landing/takeoff clearances are not given (those may only be issued by a control tower). The aircraft self reports on the common traffic advisory frequency to coordinate their use of the runway with any other local traffic. ATC blocks the airport for IFR operations and waits for the flight crew to cancel their IFR flight plan before allowing other IFR operations to/from that airport, but it's not a landing clearance.

If the approach being made is a visual approach, then ATC won't even know which runway the aircraft is going to use, as the visual approach clearance is to the airport overall.

If a specific instrument approach clearance is given (and it normally should not be given to a closed runway) the aircraft may still circle to land on another runway at the airport.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2015

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

When an airport is not towered, or the tower is closed, the ATC facility having IFR jurisdiction for that airport will issue approach and departure clearances only. Runway landing/takeoff clearances are not given (those may only be issued by a control tower). The aircraft self reports on the common traffic advisory frequency to coordinate their use of the runway with any other local traffic. ATC blocks the airport for IFR operations and waits for the flight crew to cancel their IFR flight plan before allowing other IFR operations to/from that airport, but it's not a landing clearance.

If the approach being made is a visual approach, then ATC won't even know which runway the aircraft is going to use, as the visual approach clearance is to the airport overall.

If a specific instrument approach clearance is given (and it normally should not be given to a closed runway) the aircraft may still circle to land on another runway at the airport.

In Europe it is no longer legal to operate commercial air traffic to an uncontrolled field. Can't tell you if that is company specific but if that happens to me at work I must divert. Must with a capitalised bold type m.... unless I have a pressing emergency. Eg uncontrolled fire. Too many incidents.

Anyone have a copy of all the notams. To sidestep must be visual or specific published sidestep minima. Only 15C & 15R could be used instantly under our regulations without doing landing calculations. The rest are too short (we have a crazy high factorisation for safety.)

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 10, 2015

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Airline ops to uncontrolled fields is still legal in Australia. The number of incidents involving weekend warriors popping up on TCAS, not making calls etc. in proximity to transport cat jets/turboprops is not insignificant.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hjp766 posted:

In Europe it is no longer legal to operate commercial air traffic to an uncontrolled field. Can't tell you if that is company specific but if that happens to me at work I must divert. Must with a capitalised bold type m.... unless I have a pressing emergency. Eg uncontrolled fire. Too many incidents.

Anyone have a copy of all the notams. To sidestep must be visual or specific published sidestep minima. Only 15C & 15R could be used instantly under our regulations without doing landing calculations. The rest are too short (we have a crazy high factorisation for safety.)

There are some laughably small uncontrolled airports in the US that have airline service.

I frequently fly into an airport that was clearly never intended for anything larger than a King Air (to say nothing of a 65,000lb regional turboprop) since the taxiway is close enough to the runway that extra holding lines had to be added to keep us from whacking a 172 with our wingtip when landing, and we have to check with the ramp crew that no one parked an airplane in the wrong spot before we're allowed to land there.

Adding to the fun, the presence of a hill off the end of the runway not only cuts the usable landing distance going one direction to just over 5200ft, but it's also in a perfect location to frequently cause the GPWS and radar altimeter to disagree, which results in the stick pusher disabling itself after landing.

Going into that airport in good weather is interesting, and it gets really challenging in the winter, since any airframe icing forces us to add 15kts to our approach speed, in an airplane that loves to float even at the clean approach speeds.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

EDIT: I jumped the gun on this post thinking I'd have no trouble finding historical NOTAM data but I'm still looking.

quote:

KSPS 060252Z AUTO 16012KT 5SM BR OVC008 14/12 A2988
KSPS 060352Z AUTO 15015KT 5SM BR OVC007 14/12 A2987
KSPS 060452Z AUTO 15012KT 5SM BR OVC006 14/13 A2988
KSPS 060552Z AUTO 16014KT 5SM BR OVC005 14/13 A2987
KSPS 060652Z AUTO 16011KT 3SM BR OVC004 14/13 A2985
KSPS 060752Z AUTO 18010G17KT 3SM BR OVC004 14/13 A2985
KSPS 060852Z AUTO 17009KT 5SM BR OVC004 15/14 A2984
KSPS 060952Z 17008KT 4SM BR OVC004 15/14 A2984
KSPS 061033Z 16008KT 5SM BR OVC005 16/15 A2984
KSPS 061052Z 15009KT 6SM BR BKN005 OVC010 16/15 A2983
KSPS 061152Z 15009KT 6SM BR OVC008 16/15 A2982
KSPS 061252Z 13006KT 4SM BR OVC007 16/15 A2983
KSPS 061352Z 13008KT 4SM BR OVC006 17/16 A2984
KSPS 061452Z 15009KT 5SM BR OVC005 18/17 A2985
KSPS 061552Z 16009KT 8SM OVC008 20/17 A2986

Looks like straight in weather to me, and I'm not sure if ExpressJet allows circling anyway. You fly something much larger than a regional jet correct? And that's interesting about non-towered airports in Europe.

Here's an update to that story at least:

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/local-news/parties-continue-to-resolve-sundays-diverted-aircraft_63971981

quote:

He said based on their review, the pilots did not attempt to land on runway 15R which was closed over the weekend.

“Everything we have based on our review is that they were trying to land on 15C, which was the runway that was supposed to be open at that time,” Beem said. The review, he said, consisted of collecting technical data as well as statements from the pilots.

This makes sense really. If 15R was closed, then ATC clearing the aircraft for the 15C approach makes sense. And the weather appears to have required an instrument approach be flown.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 10, 2015

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

EDIT: I jumped the gun on this post thinking I'd have no trouble finding historical NOTAM data but I'm still looking.

Looks like straight in weather to me, and I'm not sure if ExpressJet allows circling anyway. You fly something much larger than a regional jet correct? And that's interesting about non-towered airports in Europe.

Here's an update to that story at least:

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/local-news/parties-continue-to-resolve-sundays-diverted-aircraft_63971981

This makes sense really. If 15R was closed, then ATC clearing the aircraft for the 15C approach makes sense. And the weather appears to have required an instrument approach be flown.

Yup, currently flying 767. Meant to be flying 321 summer and 767 winter for foreseeable future...

Just found this.
Lights: WHEN ATCT CLSD ACTVT MALSR RY 33L - CTAF. RYS 17/35 & 15L/33R ARE UNLGTD.
Beacon: white-green (lighted land airport)
from http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSPS

Seems that the only legal runway at night that was left would be 15C... if its lights are off they can't be remote activated, so they have to turn round and go home as they can't get the only usable runway lit!

Also, if that pic is right I suspect its a dc9 derivative, or at any rate a cat c aircraft. No way could they plan other than a straight in ils with that weather.

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 10, 2015

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

hjp766 posted:

Also, if that pic is right I suspect its a dc9 derivative, or at any rate a cat c aircraft. No way could they plan other than a straight in ils with that weather.

Don't know if it makes any difference, but it's an Embraer E145.

Also I've never heard of a company having someone fly 2 planes, exception being 757/767 or a330/a340. That seems even more unusual that they would mix you on Boeing and Airbus. Recurrent training must be a nightmare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Express Jet operates Embraer and Bombardier regional jets.

According to the base representative, the center runway and approach lights were set on. I'm getting curious to see where this investigation goes.

Would be nice for the flight crew if their names get cleared.

• Locked thread