Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

death to all animeposters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

death to all posters

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

is there a decent cp437 font yet that includes the line-drawing symbols

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

duTrieux. posted:

http://www.dafont.com/perfect-dos-vga-437.font

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yussss

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

If we're talking monospace, Terminus is objectively scientifically the best font.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

consolas you fools

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i had to look cuz i dont know / care what font it is as long as it looks fine which my termianl looks fine to me, so apparently it's this:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in it, 6

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

carry on then posted:

consolas you fools

consolas is fine

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
i don't care what you use as long as it's not courier, the comic sans of fixed width

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Soricidus posted:

consolas is fine

qntm posted:

i don't care what you use as long as it's not courier, the comic sans of fixed width

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

i can tell you that only the second thing happens

you can run headfirst into a wall and break something

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

have CP866!
rename this file to zip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

points for presentation

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i don't remember if there were any onlive apologists in yospos but lol just the same:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/03/onlive-says-customers-wont-get-refunds-after-shutdown/

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

i don't remember if there were any onlive apologists in yospos but lol just the same:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/03/onlive-says-customers-wont-get-refunds-after-shutdown/

the original onlive shutdown was pretty pro. they declared bankruptcy or whatever, voided all of the shares of their current employees, got purchased by some other company and the only people to get any money were the handful of C-level staff.

all on the same day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Necc0 posted:

big lols

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's funny that they thought sony buying galaki made their value go up when it's like nope, the only company that wanted a cloud gaming service already owns one so you're boned

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
weren't they kind of hoping microsoft would buy them

instead microsoft rolled everything on their own for windows 10/xbone/dx12

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Cloud gaming is so awful

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think microsoft's thing is LAN only

I tried playstation now it was OK but the pricing is so hilariously off

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

Cloud gaming is so awful

psnow is ok. 20 a month is a little high, but I'm playing a bunch of ps3 games I missed out on while I let some new releases build up. Have not had a single instance of lag or lost connectivity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the biggest problem with cloud gaming is the games that would benefit from it the most, fast action and high system requirements, tend to also be most affected by any latency

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for pc it's not a good idea but it works OK for consoles because of the lack of backwards compatibililty

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the original onlive shutdown was pretty pro. they declared bankruptcy or whatever, voided all of the shares of their current employees, got purchased by some other company and the only people to get any money were the handful of C-level staff.

all on the same day.

ya i've had younger alums ask me for first job advice and i've always been sure to show them this. it REALLY gets the point across

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Nintendo Kid posted:

the biggest problem with cloud gaming is the games that would benefit from it the most, fast action and high system requirements, tend to also be most affected by any latency

eh I wouldn't mind being able to stream something like cities or civ at cranked settings to a laptop with integrated graphics so its not making GBS threads all over battery life. they completely jumped the gun though, home broadband connections aren't going to be good enough for another 5-10 years to get reliable service

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

eh I wouldn't mind being able to stream something like cities or civ at cranked settings to a laptop with integrated graphics so its not making GBS threads all over battery life. they completely jumped the gun though, home broadband connections aren't going to be good enough for another 5-10 years to get reliable service

even if all home broadband connections were good, you'd still easily get screwed over by your home having bad latency to one of their server farms.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

game streaming isn't good for super high fidelity images, this is why it works better for PS2/PS3 level games than something new and shiny

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Nintendo Kid posted:

even if all home broadband connections were good, you'd still easily get screwed over by your home having bad latency to one of their server farms.

thanks, nobody could have figured that one out boy-wonder

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

qirex posted:

game streaming isn't good for super high fidelity images, this is why it works better for PS2/PS3 level games than something new and shiny

Yeah it hasn't been noticeable except one time. The opening Naughty Dog logo on Uncharted 2 is a flurry of snow and fog and the macroblocks go crazy during it

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Didn't onlive or someone from there invent that pcell tech? Has anything happened with that?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is that steam streaming thing any good cuz id like being able to :pcgaming: on the various non-windows machines throughout the house

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Progressive JPEG posted:

is that steam streaming thing any good cuz id like being able to :pcgaming: on the various non-windows machines throughout the house

do you got a very good home lan going? if so, it can be

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

works fine for me. I did have to dial the settings back slightly because of the additional encoding overhead but overall a perfectly good experience. my desktop and htpc are directly networked with gigabit ethernet though. no clue how well it works over something that is more laggy and prone to dropping packets like wireless is.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

recurrency is disrupting patreon by collecting money (and fees) on behalf of creators that haven't set up a profile.

they, i guess, scraped some podcast databases and the like, set up pages for a bunch of popular ones, and are accepting your money, without even asking permission from the people they're collecting on behalf of.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pinterest Mom posted:

recurrency is disrupting patreon by collecting money (and fees) on behalf of creators that haven't set up a profile.

they, i guess, scraped some podcast databases and the like, set up pages for a bunch of popular ones, and are accepting your money, without even asking permission from the people they're collecting on behalf of.

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pinterest Mom posted:

someone has adapted the classic bitcoin tipping model to RealMoney™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh turns out they automatically create an account whenever someone does a search for something

please donate generously to the Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka page I just inadvertently set up.

• Locked thread