Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Name it after that fish that swims up your dickhole when you piss in a Brazilian river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Handsome Ralph posted:

AV-8B Harrier doing an emergency landing without the front gear lowering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIhefke0Q9Y

Anyone else expect to see the Hot Shots! carrier landing?

iyaayas01 posted:

Because why wouldn't you want a helicopter to have the same radar as Hornet, that makes complete sense :wtc:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

iyaayas01 posted:

I don't count dumb Marine renamings (same applies for the Venom). If you're gonna use the same designation system to keep up the fiction that you aren't buying new aircraft, then you have to keep the same name.

Or you name it something totally stupid like "Pave Low"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
An Apache without the seemingly sentient 50 cal gun is not anything that I want in this world.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax

holocaust bloopers posted:

An Apache without the seemingly sentient 50 cal gun is not anything that I want in this world.

30mm nigga

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Well its not a .50 sooooooo...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M230_chain_gun

E:FB

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sorry I don't know rotary death machines like I do fixed-wing--God's true aircraft.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Sorry I don't know rotary death machines like I do fixed-wing--God's true aircraft.

o7

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rotary wing are God's aircraft because God don't care about obeying the laws of physics.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

For future reference it's also being fitted to the weird babby gunships ATK is building out of the CN-235/295 and the C-27J.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Rotary wing are God's aircraft because God don't care about obeying the laws of physics.

I was gonna say, helicopters are clearly only held aloft by ongoing divine intervention.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was gonna say, helicopters are clearly only held aloft by ongoing divine intervention.

Sometimes even that isn't enough https://youtu.be/4mSrwzH5n0E

bij
Feb 24, 2007

And in an alternate reality:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If I were a millionaire I'd buy a Hind.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

at the date posted:

A member of Syria's female Republican Guard battalion.

Would.

Stultus Maximus posted:

QFT

Potential BFF posted:

9th Company was awesome, the ending was seriously one of the best war movie endings of all time- no, strike that: it's overall one of the best war movies ever made. I know it was all motarded, but when relief finally lands and the lone survivor salutes and says they held, it gave me a loving cold chill. If any of you haven't watched it, you should. It's still on Netflix streaming, I think.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

SAM site in Yemen gets hit, SA-3 goes off

https://twitter.com/saikhamk/status/583847477134102528

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Pesticide20 posted:

Sometimes even that isn't enough https://youtu.be/4mSrwzH5n0E

The best crash will always be this one.

:pilot: : Think I can make it?
:pilot: : Nope
:clint: : Oh yee of little faith.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

Swap out the passenger space for depth charges and you have a double whammy to go after all the cigarette boats and drug subs you want.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Would.

QFT

9th Company was awesome, the ending was seriously one of the best war movie endings of all time- no, strike that: it's overall one of the best war movies ever made. I know it was all motarded, but when relief finally lands and the lone survivor salutes and says they held, it gave me a loving cold chill. If any of you haven't watched it, you should. It's still on Netflix streaming, I think.

Hell yes it is. I still feel bad for homie with his bent barrel PKM

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Casimir Radon posted:

If I were a millionaire I'd buy a Hind.
gently caress yes.

e: If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :sigh:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 3, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
9th Company is a sweet movie.

And who wouldn't want a Hind? Carpet the troop bay and it's a discount luxury helicopter!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

in 1985 a Mi-24V coded 43 Red was fitted experimentally with a 12.7mm NSVT machine-gun in a bulged enclosure replacing the aft avionics bay. The gunner's station is accessed from within via a crawlway passing through the rear fuel tank between the main wheel wells. It was so cramped that the gunner could not be accommodated entirely and his legs stuck outside, scantily protected by rubberized fabric 'trousers'.

Trials promptly showed that the rear gunner's station was unsatisfactory. It caused a major shift in the helicopter's center of gravity position and was always full of engine exhaust gases, making things almost unbearable for the gunner. The crunch came when the modified helicopter was demonstrated to VVS top brass; one of the portly generals got stuck in the narrow crawlway when he wanted to check out the gunner's station, and the idea was abandoned. Instead, rear-view mirrors were installed on operational Hinds so that the pilots could see when they were being fired upon and take evasive action.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

:vince:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

lmao. That thing owns. Like it's 1995 all over again :3:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Swap out the passenger space for depth charges and you have a double whammy to go after all the cigarette boats and drug subs you want.

they used to drop bricks and poo poo out of the hh60s and 65s until they gave them the mh60s/65s with actual guns and some human being w/ a sniper rifle

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:boom:

I died.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Genocide Tendency posted:

The best crash will always be this one.

:pilot: : Think I can make it?
:pilot: : Nope
:clint: : Oh yee of little faith.

"Oh ye of little faith" ranks right up there with "Guys, I'm concerned" as far as "last words" in military aviation mishaps (where no one got killed so its okay to laugh about)

krispykremessuck posted:

they used to drop bricks and poo poo out of the hh60s and 65s until they gave them the mh60s/65s with actual guns and some human being w/ a sniper rifle

HITRON is pretty cool and all but the idea of the Coast Guard dropping bricks onto cigarette boats is hilarious and is basically USCG.txt

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

"Oh ye of little faith" ranks right up there with "Guys, I'm concerned" as far as "last words" in military aviation mishaps (where no one got killed so its okay to laugh about)

HITRON is pretty cool and all but the idea of the Coast Guard dropping bricks onto cigarette boats is hilarious and is basically USCG.txt

hitron is cool but the guys w/ the sniper rifles frequently are ledet/taclet members and they are the epitome of not cool. but yeah the story goes (no idea if true) that they iced some guy w/ a brick by accident and so violated the AUF policy and that was that

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

something about everything in this photo being detailed down the to immaculate ammo can and seemingly factory-fresh 240 makes me irrationally angry

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

In I-talian the SS stands for "scusami, scusami"...

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

something about everything in this photo being detailed down the to immaculate ammo can and seemingly factory-fresh 240 makes me irrationally angry

the ones on the boats definitely never looked like that, but salt water is a bitch I guess

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This is why the military as a whole is gay as gently caress, we are extremely afraid of showing even an ounce of grime and dust lest the public think less of them.

Still that sniper rifle though.... hnnng

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

This is why the military as a whole is gay as gently caress, we are extremely afraid of showing even an ounce of grime and dust lest the public think less of them.

Still that sniper rifle though.... hnnng

you know as well as I do that even their worst condition one has pretty much only had range rounds run through it since noncompliants w/ a helicopter are relatively rare and pretty much only happen between the keys/cuba.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

you know as well as I do that even their worst condition one has pretty much only had range rounds run through it since noncompliants w/ a helicopter are relatively rare and pretty much only happen between the keys/cuba.

You are kinda wrong. Unless you think south PR is between the keys and cuba.

Also article doesn't mention if the helo did or did not shoot, but a buddy of mine on the boat told me they would have not been able to catch it without the HITRON helo. :shrug:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Dingleberry posted:

In I-talian the SS stands for "scusami, scusami"...

At a quick glance I thought that said Absolutely Hella Legion, which I would like to sign up for right now.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

You are kinda wrong. Unless you think south PR is between the keys and cuba.

Also article doesn't mention if the helo did or did not shoot, but a buddy of mine on the boat told me they would have not been able to catch it without the HITRON helo. :shrug:

I said relatively rare, not doesn't ever happen. most of the major smuggling (we had 440 bales on deck) happens in the south caribbean where hitron is frequently not available. maybe you guys got to take them with you, but we were stuck with just the regular old hh65s and the actual mules typically stayed just shy of tts so in the time we could get a bird in the air they were already long gone. hell, most of the time we couldn't even get a smallboat that was on the hip into the water in time to actually catch the night runners.

most of the time with AUF stuff they won't shoot. they can use rotor wash/low hover to scare them into stopping like 99% of the time. also since the people running the boats typically know little about the boat they run on (mostly stolen, from the keys) they tend to run them way beyond parameters - like at max throttle with ten times the max load in the boat, which frequently if they're running long distances will burn up an engine long before you even have to shoot at them.

I know you're still hard for the guard dog, but the practical reality is that 99.9999999% of all boardings conducted by the coast guard are compliant boardings, even the coastal freighter type drug motherships are compliant. noncompliants are rare and more often than not are actually some old white guy fisherman in maine that thinks he's a sovereign citizen on the seas. and most non-compliants will become compliant before shooting out engines, or shooting out pilots

like I said: rare, not unheard of/doesn't happen

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

krispykremessuck posted:

hitron is cool but the guys w/ the sniper rifles frequently are ledet/taclet members and they are the epitome of not cool. but yeah the story goes (no idea if true) that they iced some guy w/ a brick by accident and so violated the AUF policy and that was that

A brick used as a kill mark on a helo is 15 kinds of hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

like I said: rare, not unheard of/doesn't happen

I also said you where "kinda wrong" which is different from "you are wrong". Also lol at the petty insult and I'm sorry you misconstrue the fact that I like my job with me being hard for the guard.

• Locked thread