Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mean...by the way BL2 ended, it seems like the next step is an MMORPG like you describe. I know that waaaaaay back in the day (possibly before BL1 was even released), the publisher secured the rights to other "Border-" titles, including "Borderworlds". Not that that really means anything, but it wouldn't surprise me to see 2K poo poo out a "Borderworlds" style MMORPG somewhere down the road.

And it'll end up as "Destiny with memes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Patch is up for Bone that fixes Badass Rank and character customizations not transferring.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well you're in luck, because that's it for DLC. Finito, pal.

EDIT: Wait are you saying you were 5-10 levels below the boss? And the rest of the DLC enemies? You couldn't do that poo poo in BL2 either. It's probably a loving miracle you made even made it through the DLC to begin with if you were so woefully underleveled. :wtc:

Yeah, we all were unimpressed with TPS enough that we didn't feel like going through the whole game again in TVHM so we jumped right in low-30s and everything was like level 40. It took a lot of dying over several days but we made it to the end. One friend did do some grinding on his own near the conclusion, so I was level 40 as Nisha, one friend was level 36 as Fragtrap, and the grinder was about 45 Doppelganger. Endboss was level 46 for us. Granted by the end of everything we finished levels 39, 42, and 46 respectively.

The fight took so long I actually got ranks 3, 4, and 5 of the critical hits with a pistol challenge. Nisha's dual-pistol ability just really really makes me miss Infinity because I was easily going through 800 bullets in under a minute.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Golly gee it's no wonder you didn't enjoy the DLC

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Aurora posted:

Golly gee it's no wonder you didn't enjoy the DLC

As far as DLC go it wasn't terrible, in fact I rather liked the ending because unlike other stuff in TPS it meshed well with BL2 continuity, but when the endboss took us an hour and reading other posts here took properly-leveled players all decked out in maxed gear at least 30 minutes, it's just a really, really badly designed boss. Unless Gearbox is getting practice for WoW-style bosses for some Borderlands MMO?

None of the other bosses in the whole DLC gave us that much trouble, in the whole Borderland series, now that I think about it. There were plenty of times in BL2 or 1 we could take on a boss several levels above us and win in less than 15 minutes.

Plus there about 3 separate times the DLC broke and wouldn't flag certain quest scripts to run.

Edit: Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that you could jump right into BL2 DLC at the beginning of TVHM and the enemies would start at level 35 instead of 40+.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 3, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hopefully this is an alright thread to ask this in. I just grabbed the Handsome Collection on PS4 and am starting with BL2. I played it before but never got deep in the game. What I'm wondering is if someone could describe the actual play styles of each character by the time they're around the point where they settle in their groove. Something like if you play X character and go down Y and Z trees, you'll mostly rely on this kind of offense/play style/etc. I've always been lovely at figuring that out ahead of time and ended up with a few characters I felt like I needed to play a certain way to do well.

Right now I've got a Krieg and a Gaige. Krieg is great but relying on melee seems rad but right now I'm in the mood for guns and I've been dying a lot early on. Gaige's deathtrap rules and her two left trees seem to fit my style but I haven't really figured how she rolls.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I keep thinking I'm going to do something with Gaige other than Anarchy, but it's just too much fun.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hopefully this is an alright thread to ask this in. I just grabbed the Handsome Collection on PS4 and am starting with BL2. I played it before but never got deep in the game. What I'm wondering is if someone could describe the actual play styles of each character by the time they're around the point where they settle in their groove. Something like if you play X character and go down Y and Z trees, you'll mostly rely on this kind of offense/play style/etc. I've always been lovely at figuring that out ahead of time and ended up with a few characters I felt like I needed to play a certain way to do well.

Right now I've got a Krieg and a Gaige. Krieg is great but relying on melee seems rad but right now I'm in the mood for guns and I've been dying a lot early on. Gaige's deathtrap rules and her two left trees seem to fit my style but I haven't really figured how she rolls.
First and best advice: Use gibbed to alter a save file so you can level/make usable guns, because the loot tables are absolute dogshit.

You'll probably want to spec Krieg into the leftmost tree until you have enough skill points to get a capstone. When you have enough, respec into the middle blue tree for 'Release The Beast.' It is Hilariously Game Breaking, and has reasonably good scaling unlike the guns past level 48 or so.

Gaige is reasonably powerful, and would be super great if Deathtrap wasn't so hilariously glitchy in so many situations.

Sal is about guns. If you have broken guns, that makes Sal double broken. Choose Sal.

Axton is passable at all levels, Maya is great for the vanilla game but scales horribly past level 50. Zer0 has a lot of bad design decisions, like a tree devoted to sniper rifles - the second worst kind of gun in the game.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Kilometers Davis posted:

For Salvadore you want to focus the most on extending gunzerking for as long as possible. NEVER STOP FIRING! One of the best skills in the entire game IMO is Money Shot so make sure you also pick that up.

Axton, my favorite build for him is to put points into anything that boosts explosive damage. Blowing poo poo up and throwing turrets everywhere is awesome.

Maya you really want to get Wreck, Converge, Reaper and Ruin as soon as possible. That perk that gives you a chance at creating a homing phaselock after you killed someone phaselocked is also nice, especially with a class mod that gives you better odds at it happening. Phaselock dudes to keep them slagged and shieldless and then shred them with a good SMG or explosive pistol

Never played Zero because he looked awful, Bore is fun skill though from some of the videos I've seen.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 3, 2015

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Melee Zero's great for taking out mooks and delivering the finishing blow to bosses with low health.

I'm just starting the DLC and I'm totally in love with the physical pop-up ads. You want to get so mad at them, but you can't, it's just so perfectly done. :allears:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I am a die hard Zer0 fan, because sniping is really fun in Borderlands. Playing Krieg and demolishing everything in sight is fine, but landing a string of critical hits and downing a huge enemy is so much more satisfying. Likewise with Aurelia in TPS - my first playthrough was with Athena, but playing Aurelia really amped up the fun for me. I'm about to start TVHM with Aurelia and it's exciting!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
How are you killing Opha Superior with Sniper Aurelia? I keep getting my poo poo rocked because I can't take down the Opha as fast as it spawns them.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Pope Guilty posted:

How are you killing Opha Superior with Sniper Aurelia? I keep getting my poo poo rocked because I can't take down the Opha as fast as it spawns them.

Shoot it several times in the face? You might need to quickly rescope to change elements. I've found the key to Sniper Aurelia is having the best Jakobs sniper rifle you can lay your hands on. Preferably one of those crazy TumTum +Crit Damage ones. She's the first character in any BL game who can genuinely headshot her way through the whole game. There's very few enemies which cause her problems.

After a lot of searching and grinding (in the actual grinder) and poo poo I ended up with this, which I have since levelled to 50 because gently caress trying to get this combination of awesome again -

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with the Mechromancher. I even stuck a point in to try out anarchy and... I like it! It's really different and a little frustrating at first but I'm getting the hang of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just wait until you get maxed out anarchy and Gaige starts yelling "I WILL NEVER HIT ANYTHING :byodood:", the frustration will have all been worth it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with the Mechromancher. I even stuck a point in to try out anarchy and... I like it! It's really different and a little frustrating at first but I'm getting the hang of it.

400 stacks of anarchy, shields that regen completely every time you get a kill, and a 50% chance for your shots to ricochet. Gaige is by far the most fun character in the game once you get a few levels under you, firing one-shot Jacobs shotguns wildly as you wade through crowds of enemies..

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Counterpoint: I really couldn't get myself to like Gaige. She can be really powerful, but she's a bit of a glass cannon and I tend to prefer accuracy in my shooters.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

AirRaid posted:

Counterpoint: I really couldn't get myself to like Gaige. She can be really powerful, but she's a bit of a glass cannon and I tend to prefer accuracy in my shooters.

This is actually why I disliked her at first but I was trying to get out of my comfort zone a little and I am really, really glad I did.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

400 stacks of anarchy, shields that regen completely every time you get a kill, and a 50% chance for your shots to ricochet. Gaige is by far the most fun character in the game once you get a few levels under you, firing one-shot Jacobs shotguns wildly as you wade through crowds of enemies..

And her audio barks get more and more 4th wall breaking as the stacks build up!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AirRaid posted:

It also really sucks when you first start TVHM/UVHM, when you're guaranteed to be under-geared and under-leveled. It was impossible to build Anarchy because I just kept dying.

I still like Gaige just for the hilarity of hitting airborne enemies by aiming at the ground... and then missing the ground because 400 stacks of anarchy made your bullets come out sideways.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 3, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Sorry but if you're underlevelled going into TVHM in BL2 then you're playing Normal mode wrong. Specially now all the DLC content is out and there's shitloads of XP on offer. Even just playing the main game should get to you 31, and your target is 32-33 for a comfortable TVHM start really.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Pope Guilty posted:

And her audio barks get more and more 4th wall breaking as the stacks build up!

"You're breaking the game, dude!" :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's still early days - a few levels into TVHM - but was wondering what people like using as slag weapons? I'm pretty certain you can get through TVHM w/o a dedicated slag weapon, but I want to try it out. Is it worth the grenade slot? (BL2)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What character? If you are playing Axton the slag turret is invaluable.

My best luck for normal weapons was a slag Critical Thinking single barrel hyperion shotgun. The lower slag percentage versus something like a maliwan pistol was more than compensated by a larger magazine, higher fire rate, and it just being much harder to miss with a shotgun. Oh and the chance is per pellet so it was a nearly guaranteed slag at close range.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

It's still early days - a few levels into TVHM - but was wondering what people like using as slag weapons? I'm pretty certain you can get through TVHM w/o a dedicated slag weapon, but I want to try it out. Is it worth the grenade slot? (BL2)

I've always gone with a purple Magic Missile as my slag weapon and have never regretted it. One toss to slag everything and regenerating ammo can't be beat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

What character? If you are playing Axton the slag turret is invaluable.

My best luck for normal weapons was a slag Critical Thinking single barrel hyperion shotgun. The lower slag percentage versus something like a maliwan pistol was more than compensated by a larger magazine, higher fire rate, and it just being much harder to miss with a shotgun. Oh and the chance is per pellet so it was a nearly guaranteed slag at close range.

Maya. Ruin is great, of course.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jibo posted:

I've always gone with a purple Magic Missile as my slag weapon and have never regretted it. One toss to slag everything and regenerating ammo can't be beat.

Seconded - I considered Magic Missile to be pretty much mandatory.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When I'm using Laser Guided for Wilhelm, do I specifically have to paint a target with L1 or does Saint paint whatever I'm shooting at automatically?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Homing Slag Bouncing Betties work pretty good for slagging a group of people before a fight.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

On Krieg I used a generic slag maliwan pistol for a long time, because it was fairly accurate and very quick to reload. Then from like level 40 and up I used a slag Tediore plasma caster, which also had the quick reload time (gently caress reloading) and the plasma balls had a really high slag chance + a small aoe. Good stuff.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Slagga :c00lbutt:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

On Krieg I used a generic slag maliwan pistol for a long time, because it was fairly accurate and very quick to reload. Then from like level 40 and up I used a slag Tediore plasma caster, which also had the quick reload time (gently caress reloading) and the plasma balls had a really high slag chance + a small aoe. Good stuff.

Running around with a Slagga as Mania Krieg was great. Charge directly at a dude while firing Slagga to purple him up, then Unleash the Beast and pound on him. You can punch way above your weight class doing that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ArchRanger posted:

I'm having a ton of fun just at the mid teens. As soon as I realized how good it feels to deal with anarchy I was hooked. Found my class! Right now I'm using an explosive rocket blasting shotgun and it's absolutely hilarious at 150. I can't remember liking a character as much as her even in BL1.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When I'm using Laser Guided for Wilhelm, do I specifically have to paint a target with L1 or does Saint paint whatever I'm shooting at automatically?

If you are aiming at something when you deploy Wolf/Saint, Saint will immediately paint that target; if you aren't aiming at anything when you deploy Wolf/Saint, you just have to aim at something and tap L1 or F or whatever. Saint will continue to paint the target until it is destroyed, you paint another target, or Wolf/Saint expire.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Maya. Ruin is great, of course.

Ruin + converge is a brilliant slag setup for Maya. You shouldn't really need anything else since your Phaselock recharges really fast. You do need to be like level 42 to get that combo though.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Pre-sequel is being so nice to me! I got a legendary lawbringer class mod from a vending machine, then 1 minute later The Earworm dropped his legendary, then after I gave up on EOS and started TVHM Flame Knuckle immediately dropped a Nukem!

Are the drop rates higher than in BL2?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Greenplastic posted:

Pre-sequel is being so nice to me! I got a legendary lawbringer class mod from a vending machine, then 1 minute later The Earworm dropped his legendary, then after I gave up on EOS and started TVHM Flame Knuckle immediately dropped a Nukem!

Are the drop rates higher than in BL2?

They upped the drop rates in both games for the next week or so to celebrate the Handsome Collection dropping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

They upped the drop rates in both games for the next week or so to celebrate the Handsome Collection dropping.

I have seen no evidence of this. I wonder how infinitesimal the change is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rinkles posted:

I have seen no evidence of this. I wonder how infinitesimal the change is.

Look, shitlick, the rates are doubled. Now it's 1 in 500,000 instead of 1 in 1,000,000. You should practically be tripping over purps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

watho posted:

"You're breaking the game, dude!" :allears:

"PLAYER. WHAT. ARE. YOU. DOING?"

• Locked thread