Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Beyond sane knolls posted:

What's yall's opinion on William Golding? I just bought The Scorpion God and The Paper Men based solely on the covers/historical setting/vague fond memories of Lord of the Flies.

I read The Inheritors like 2 years ago and thought it sucked poo poo. Lord of the Flies is kool though, and I think Golding won a Nobel??? so he must be good?

Has anyone here read The Man Without Qualities? I just started it and it is some good rear end stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

david crosby posted:

I read The Inheritors like 2 years ago and thought it sucked poo poo. Lord of the Flies is kool though, and I think Golding won a Nobel??? so he must be good?

Has anyone here read The Man Without Qualities? I just started it and it is some good rear end stuff.

IMO the nobel prize is very hit or miss, and as often a political prize as a literary one.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I read uh, Freefall and wasn't too impressed.
Good luck with MWQ crosby. Apparently it needs sustained attention throughout, though I've been wanting to borrow my sister's copy to try it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

re: Golding, I enjoyed The Spire and Pincher Martin. Lord of the Flies is great of course, but I also wasn't a big fan of The Inheritors. I don't think I've read anything else of his, so maybe that one was just a rare dud.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

david crosby posted:

Has anyone here read The Man Without Qalities? I just started it and it is some good rear end stuff.

I have only read the first half but recently was given the whole work when someone moved. Its very good and I'm going to reread everything from the beginning

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am remembering how the main character impresses a nymphomaniac by telling her how great it was that he was beaten up in the middle of the street for no discernable reason and I am laughing again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Seriously I don't think y'all mother fuckers listened to me when I said read David Vann

get on that poo poo pronto

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ulvir posted:

i'm reading inherent vice now, and I kinda regret this not being my first pynchon book. I'm only 1/4th in, but it feels a lot better than the crying of lot 49. not that the latter's bad, just if things continue as they do, a lesser book than inherent vice

TCOL49 is Pynchons worst book, it gets recommended because it's short or its all that person was able to read.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously I don't think y'all mother fuckers listened to me when I said read David Vann

get on that poo poo pronto

I'll check him out OP, just as soon as I'm done with Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

TCOL49 is Pynchons worst book, it gets recommended because it's short or its all that person was able to read.

Yeah I didn't like it, it had none of the powerful imagery of V. or Gravity's Rainbow.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Crying of Lot 49 is loving aces, you dopes.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I didn't like it, it had none of the powerful imagery of V. or Gravity's Rainbow.

quote:

Oedipa sat on the earth, rear end getting cold, wondering whether, as Driblette had suggested that night from the shower, some version of herself hadn't vanished with him. Perhaps her mind would go on flexing psychic muscles that no longer existed; would be betrayed and mocked by a phantom self as the amputee is by a phantom limb. Someday she might replace whatever of her had gone away by some prosthetic device, a dress of a certain color, a phrase in a letter, another lover. She tried to reach out to whatever coded tenacity of protein might improbably have held on six feet below, still resisting decay - any stubborn quiescence perhaps gathering itself for some last burst, some last scramble up through earth, just-glimmering, holding together with its final strength a transient, winged shape, needing to settle at once in the warm host, or dissipate forever into the dark.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
So my takeaway from this thread is that genre fiction is distinguished from more sophisticated stuff by quality of writing?

Example: A Canticle for Leibowitz is generally considered a masterpiece by most literary critics, despite being within the "genre" of science fiction (which was until recently not considered real literature).

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

AYC posted:

So my takeaway from this thread is that genre fiction is distinguished from more sophisticated stuff by quality of writing?

Example: A Canticle for Leibowitz is generally considered a masterpiece by most literary critics, despite being within the "genre" of science fiction (which was until recently not considered real literature).

Yeah that seems right to me. Lem = highbrow lit because of good writing/ideas, Gaiman = lowbrow/non-lit because of the bad writing + being married to amanda palmer.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

david crosby posted:

Yeah that seems right to me. Lem = highbrow lit because of good writing/ideas, Gaiman = lowbrow/non-lit because of the bad writing + being married to amanda palmer.

Ironically, I'm actually reading American Gods for my Religious & Science Fiction class at the moment. It's a'ight, but I am annoyed by the fact that nobody has commented on how weird a name "Shadow" is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AYC posted:

Age probably also helps in that respect. There's an above average chance that Stephen King is viewed as literature in 50 years or so.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

AYC posted:

I'd say it's also got a lot to do with its adherence to/restrictions by the genre's rules and boundaries. regardless if the author chooses to subvert your expectations or whatever, you can pretty much go straight to a fantasy shelf and know almost exactly what you'll get without even reading the paratext.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

computer parts posted:

Age probably also helps in that respect. There's an above average chance that Stephen King is viewed as literature in 50 years or so.

How many detective story authors from a hundred years ago do we still talk about, and do we do so in terms of literature?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

AYC posted:

Canticle for Liebowitz 2 is real good.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ras Het posted:

How many detective story authors from a hundred years ago do we still talk about, and do we do so in terms of literature?

Shrlock Holmes?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ras Het posted:

Only a few but I think King would be one of the few in the future

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

Only a few but I think King would be one of the few in the future

A lot of his stuff is just generic genre fluff, but occasionally he writes something truly wonderful.

If nothing else, The Stand is a masterpiece.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ras Het posted:

egdar ellen poe

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Ras Het posted:

GK Chesterton.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Could Wilkie Collins count?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Either we've hit peak irony or mother fuckers in here are seriously arguing Stephen King is entering the literary canon

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Either we've hit peak irony or mother fuckers in here are seriously arguing Stephen King is entering the literary canon

It's ok, bad writers have entered the canon before

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I could see him being something of a historical interest I guess

EDIT: but lol at the Stand being masterpiece

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 5, 2015

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

All literature is subjective and there are no good or bad writers :mmmhmm:

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

AYC posted:

Nice :stonkhat:

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

On an unrelated note what do you super-refined TBBers think of Neil Gaiman? Reading American Gods right now and it's entertaining, but not anything super mind blowing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AYC posted:

On an unrelated note what do you super-refined TBBers think of Neil Gaiman? Reading American Gods right now and it's entertaining, but not anything super mind blowing.

His greatest contribution to letters is Sandman

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

AYC posted:

Mind = blown

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

His greatest contribution to letters is Sandman

I started Sandman over a year ago and still haven't had the energy to finish it. It's just so... uuuggghhhhh. I am sure if all you read are fantasy stories and comics than his take on those genres is great and unique but unless you already buy in on the genre itself the whole thing is tedious and navel gazing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I started Sandman over a year ago and still haven't had the energy to finish it. It's just so... uuuggghhhhh. I am sure if all you read are fantasy stories and comics than his take on those genres is great and unique but unless you already buy in on the genre itself the whole thing is tedious and navel gazing.

Real talk about comics right now: the greatest comic is Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth

ok now quit talking about the funnies

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AYC posted:

He has a few genuinely good works but in a lot of his later work especially he's coasting.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Here is what Brainworm (the English professor in A/T) had to say about it 6 years ago:

Powered Descent posted:

Here's a strange one for you.

I know this isn't quite your specialty, but is there any contemporary literature (say, from 1950 onward) that you suspect future historians will regard as the classics of our time? Flash forward to an English Lit class at Tranquility Base University in the year 2309. What 20th and 21st century authors will your silver-jumpsuited counterpart remember in one breath with the Bard?

Will the class discuss Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke? J.D. Salinger and William Golding? Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume? Stephen King and Dean Koontz? Or even... J.K. Rowling and Stephanie Meyer?

Brainworm posted:

If I were betting, I'd split two ways:

1) Probably, people are going to remember the late 20th / early 21st as the infancy of recorded music, film, television, and various species of hypertext, regardless of whether those media produce any durable classics.

2) Of all the authors you've listed, Stephen King seems the most likely to win a place in the canon of American Naturalism. And he deserves it. It's worth remembering that most classics were commercial successes if not blockbusters -- that's a necessary, if not sufficient, condition for real durability. So that immediately excludes most avant-garde and academic novelists (and every post-1950 poet except Robert Frost).

Second, King swims against the current. I'll exclude The Stand for a second. Most post-1950 genre innovations have involved human beings accidentally breaking the world, or at least the threat of the world being broken by some human action, deliberate or no. Think of SF time travel plots for a second. In, say, The Time Machine, Wells doesn't give a poo poo about causality. Instead, you get a more or less allegorical extension of Wells's contemporary social divisions. In that sense, the text is more like Swift's Modest Proposal than anything.

But in any post-1950 time travel plot, the unwritten assumption is that people have the ability to irreparably break the world -- see "The Sound of Thunder" for an early example or, you know, any original time travel plot in film or television. This kind of anxiety pervades modern media, in one form or other, like you wouldn't believe.

King, on the other hand, generally tells a completely different kind of story (BTW, inventing an entirely new novel subgenre in the process), in which sympathetic characters' basic humanity is menaced by a threat that, generally speaking, is not a consequence of human action. Carrie's not a threat because she's an outcast. She's a threat because she can kill people by thinking. And Cujo isn't a threat because he was a terribly abused dog who turned vicious. He gets rabies in a totally natural way and menaces a mom and kid for no good reason at all.

Third, It's no small matter that (when he wasn't drunk or coked up) King's an extremely capable writer and versatile storyteller. Compare the way the story in Carrie is framed and forwarded to, well, any other author's first effort, and you'll see a huge difference. King has some real kung-fu, even if early success means he hasn't always needed to exercise it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zaito posted:

Here is what Brainworm (the English professor in A/T) had to say about it 6 years ago:

So he's going to be remembered because a lot of people like him and he writes less thematically potent stories.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

Apparently, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So he's going to be remembered because a lot of people like him and he writes less thematically potent stories.

I dunno, I personally liked picking apart the religious undertones in The Stand.

Though I am a bit biased as he was the first author I really got into; if nothing else I can credit him for making books a serious interest of mine.