Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The glaring problem that probably never will be solved is that Starbound has no idea what game it wants to be. How about a 2d sanbox game in space where you can craft and explore and build cool poo poo? Nah, that's not enough! We also need an RPG part where players do quests and progress along a tier system that we have made for them. Hmm..now how do we blend both of them?

The answers is: Not that well.

Like, serious post here, Chucklefish does not seem to understand that balancing the sandbox stuff around the RPG stuff is retarded and bad. The sandbox stuff is what most players find fun, and while you of course need a tier list and goals on that front, fun gameplay should never be gated behind the tiers or so many conditions! I feel the teleporter thing shows that well. Players wanted moveable teleport points since the very first EA release and lol at how long it took to get anything on that front. Now you have to hunt for the core(which takes time), go to the outpost(which takes time), and pay money(which took you time to get). And then you have to repeat at least 2 of these steps everytime you want to move your old teleporter or get a new one. Do you know why most people wanted teleporters in the first place? To save time while exploring planets. See the problem here? And removing the save+quit feature to get back to your ship instantly is another sign of the devs not knowing that fluid or quallity of life gameplay is more important than some arbitrary "challenge" or whatever the gently caress they see in their weird choices. The game is just tedious to play after the initial wonder about space and random monsters has left you, and if that does not get fixed it'll never be good. Oh, and of course the biggest issue in all of this is that Starbound is bad and gay.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Cicadas! posted:

It really does, though, and they're doing it for the stupidest possible reason.
I guess it's OK if you like backtracking to the outpost every time you want to move a teleporter even a goddamn inch, and also like wasting lots of pixels???

Seriously, it's like they hired the Gregtech guy or something. Every recent lovely change has been for the sake of "balance" in a game that really doesn't need it, because it's a loving sandbox buildgame. Just give people cool poo poo and let them do what they want.

e:

Not even a bench. If you want to fix your teleporter yourself then tough poo poo, because you have to physically go back to the store in the outpost and buy a new one with your core and a bunch of pixels.

Gregtech?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RottenK posted:

Gregtech?

there's a whole slew of mods for minecraft that add complicated as gently caress mechanical systems, with gregtech being a notorious one

http://ftbwiki.org/GregTech

there's some mods for minecraft that are legitimately fun despite the inherent minor amount of tedium involved, but some of these things are goddamn ludicrous. a good amount of them are examples of why poo poo like this is an unofficial mod and not how the base game actually functions

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

e: alright so here's a followup question: Why is this okay, and not something that should be steered away from?

Compared to all the other problems, it is lukewarm at the very best

You're fixated on this idea that I think it's good, and they should do more things like it, when I just don't give a gently caress or think it's as big of a deal compared to the other problems

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's a problem that never needed to exist in the first place is the point.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there's a whole slew of mods for minecraft that add complicated as gently caress mechanical systems, with gregtech being a notorious one

http://ftbwiki.org/GregTech

there's some mods for minecraft that are legitimately fun despite the inherent minor amount of tedium involved, but some of these things are goddamn ludicrous. a good amount of them are examples of why poo poo like this is an unofficial mod and not how the base game actually functions

Ha look at that poo poo. I played some IC2 and I was bored to death because finding all that poo poo was a goddamn chore. I actually modded it so there would be more minerals.

And now gregtech "Nah, we definitely want everything to be so much loving harder."

It's like developers stopped understanding what made their things fun.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Ha look at that poo poo. I played some IC2 and I was bored to death because finding all that poo poo was a goddamn chore. I actually modded it so there would be more minerals.

And now gregtech "Nah, we definitely want everything to be so much loving harder."

Greg does this so he can constantly stay one step ahead of the other people that play on his server.

No, really.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Again, you're only giving us more reasons why going down this path of game design is a terrible idea for worse people.

Seriously, how skewed is your viewpoint that your first reaction upon learning that is "Eh, could be worse" instead of "Welp, time to get the hell out of dodge"?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 4, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

Again, you're only giving us more reasons why going down this path of game design is a terrible idea for worse people.

Seriously, how skewed is your viewpoint that your first reaction upon learning that is "Eh, could be worse" instead of "Welp, time to get the hell out of dodge"?

Because everyone has different tolerances for different poo poo and I really don't know what you want from me but I doubt you'll be satisfied even if I gave it to you. You're just going to have to deal with the fact that I don't find the teleporter thing, of all loving things, to be as big of a deal.

The game is a box of randomly collected parts and scraps dumped out on the floor and rearranged into a game-like form, big loving whoop that one of the metal bits is bent slightly. Sort of a low priority item when you start looking at issues that need fixing.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 4, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Magmarashi posted:

The game is a box of randomly collected parts and scraps dumped out on the floor and rearranged into a game-like form, big loving whoop that one of the metal bits is bent slightly. Sort of a low priority item when you start looking at issues that need fixing.

If you're gonna go with that metaphor, part of the problem is that, having all these other bigger messes they still need to address, they proceeded to bring in an entirely new metal bit and then hammered it into a bad shape on purpose.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

If you're gonna go with that metaphor, part of the problem is that, having all these other bigger messes they still need to address, they proceeded to bring in an entirely new metal bit and then hammered it into a bad shape on purpose.

Gently considering the proper location and fitting it in neatly doesn't really help the whole 'pile on the floor' part. Start fixing that and...you know what, this is a really loving stupid exchange of dumb ideas. It's a meh implementation of a feature that wouldn't have been if they could reconcile the sandbox and the tiers in a way that isn't ham-fisted from the get-go.

What is even the discussion to be had? That I don't give as much of a poo poo as everyone else about this one particular feature compared to the underlying problems that lead to the backwards implementation? Deal with it, because I just don't.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

no

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I am defeated!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

:keke:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

I don't insist, I just don't feel that it's so drat dire.

You just gotta go back to the shop, use the core to get a new one.

Maybe I actually am inured to dumb bullshit thanks to Modded MC and MMOs and other poo poo, but it makes me feel better to think everyone else is a bunch of babies. :shrug:

If I can just go back to this for a sec
:irony:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I like the old lady NPC they got in the works.

Also planet bookmarks! Finally! Can't wait for that to go live.

I want a pet pig :3:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Literally Kermit posted:

I like the old lady NPC they got in the works.

Also planet bookmarks! Finally! Can't wait for that to go live.

I want a pet pig :3:

I don't understand this post.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Npc's, pff. It's all about slime biome furniture.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Actually, give me a slime pet where whatever I feed it just floats around inside

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

a Gelatinous Cute

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Give me a good game.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Afraid of Audio posted:

Give me a good game.

There was a real good one we all played awhile back

The waiting game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

Give me a good game.

play Pillars of Eternity, it's really good

e: nevermind, forgot about the retarded "double clicking items to equip them permanently gimps your character", "firing and then re-hiring NPC companions deletes their entire inventories" and "saving/loading in the same area you recruited an NPC in boosts their stats until they become immortal" bugs

wait for a patch and then play Pillars of Eternity

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

those just got patched you dummy!!!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Aw poo poo, I didn't realize it was out already. Time to start playing again!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Michaellaneous posted:

Uh, duh, have you seen dark souls? Hard is the new meta in game design.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bauxite posted:

Uh, duh, have you seen dark souls? Hard is the new meta in game design.

Yes, but there is no slog in Dark Souls. At no point did I had to really farm anything for hours. All I had to do is to get better and learn from my misstakes.

At no point in IC2 or Starbound did I get that feeling because it literally is just farming and needless slog that neither learns me anything new nor do I get accomplishment from actually becoming better.

Your opinions are bad and you should stop posting hth.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I think the difference is dark souls is fun despite its garbage flaws

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
While in starbound garbage flaws are features

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Michaellaneous posted:

Your opinions are bad and you should stop posting hth.

Please don't be mean to my friend Magmarashi

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Dark Souls devs know they're slapping you in the face with bullshit and that's the point. Starbound devs don't even realise they're creating bullshit, they think it's great.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I just remembered that by the middle of 2013 I thought this was going to be one of the greatest games ever along with x rebirth and wasteland 2. In the end wasteland 2 seems ok, terraria got great updates since then and other actual good indie titles were released so not bad actually, no thanks to starbound.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm reading the comments on that dev video and people are just wishing for the hunger system to come back, are you loving kidding me?

program666 posted:

I just remembered that by the middle of 2013 I thought this was going to be one of the greatest games ever along with x rebirth and wasteland 2. In the end wasteland 2 seems ok, terraria got great updates since then and other actual good indie titles were released so not bad actually, no thanks to starbound.

Same here, and that's why I have garbage like X:Rebirth on my list, because I am way too optimistic.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 4, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm reading the comments on that dev video and people are just wishing for the hunger system to come back, are you loving kidding me?

Same here, and that's why I have garbage like X:Rebirth on my list, because I am way too optimistic.

Sword Of The Stars 2

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Section Z posted:

Sword Of The Stars 2

:ese:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

so theyre stickin to the patch every 8months plan right

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

"plan"

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

program666 posted:

I think it's just I expecting things to go at a faster pace, I will keep my judgement until the game is done, hopefully it will be by the end of the year. I think their mistake is they should have double down and not released any EA.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I forgot to add in my post that I'm referring to 2014.

I'll probably check starbound out eventually but I wonder how could this game ever be better than terraria (or maybe different enough and good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord

Rrussom posted:

There was a real good one we all played awhile back

The waiting game

Now we play the sequel, The crying game

• Locked thread