Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah so don't use adv sensors with PTL if you want to K-turn it's not difficult to avoid that situation. You can use it anyway and not PTL and that's basically why it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Right, that's what I figured. Pick one or the other, I was just curious if you could, in a time of need, go wild and blow everything on one super maneuver but I guess not.

Alternately instead of Push the Limit I could go with Stay on Target, that might be fun.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You want PTL. With a pilot as high skill as Keyan you're generally pretty good especially since engine upgrade gives you two reposition options and you can use both with no loss in offense.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

X-Wing is fun as hell you guys.

Yes. Yes it is. I don't play much these days, but I loaned my stuff to a Star Wars obsessed co-worker and he's been loving it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kai Tave posted:

X-Wing is fun as hell you guys.

Nera Dantels is great, the guys that I usually play with got B-Wings finally and I wiped them out before even losing shield strength :cool:

She may not be great for tournament play but gently caress I don't care playing with those guys, my first time playing X-Wing I flew as Porkins

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I flew that Defender list and went 50/50 in some slightly competitive but mostly casual couple of games.

Lost the first game because of my inexperience flying all three ships and first time against B&D dual IG2K's, I failed to position the Omicron Group Pilot into effective spots where he could shoot or target lock and help out Col Vessery. I lost Soontir early to general awfulness. I just started to flake paint off of his ships when Omicron ate Heavy Laser Cannon. I ended up losing Vessery a short time later.

Game two was MUCH improved. I maneuvered Soontir out of arc and kept him away from an IG and poured fire on him together with help from Omicron who absorbed HLC and kept acquiring his target locks. Soontir did his fare share of evading and focusing. Vessery stayed at long range on the other IG and whittled him down with primary and target lock rerolls. The final shot of the game came from the much ballyhooed Omicron Group Lambda shuttle. All three ships survived.

Tie (ha) breaker probably tomorrow.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 4, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Aces High posted:

Nera Dantels is great, the guys that I usually play with got B-Wings finally and I wiped them out before even losing shield strength :cool:

She may not be great for tournament play but gently caress I don't care playing with those guys, my first time playing X-Wing I flew as Porkins

Oh yeah, this isn't some super tournament obsessed group or anything and I doubt any of us are going to dig deep into tourney-style meta over "I wanna fly these ships and shoot stuff, pew pew." Like, I'm glad there's a robust tournament scene for X-Wing because I think any competitive game benefits from having an active player base stress testing the hell out of it regularly, and so far it seems like it's helped FFG keep things relatively balanced, but I don't want to start obsessing over optimal ship layouts or anything.

Nera Dantels seems pretty rad, yeah, but I think I need some more time to figure out how best to use her whereas the other B-Wing ace is a much more standard "maneuver to get someone in your firing arc, light'em up" approach. I should put together a torpedo/missile-heavy loadout some game and just try to get the hang of it.

Speaking of which getting into this game may not have been a great idea because I went and, well, I dipped into my "discretionary do whatever the gently caress" savings and I now own roughly $200 more worth of tiny plastic spaceships. I now know the guilty shame that warhams feel, minus needing to assemble or paint anything and also the game is actually good.

So here's what I currently own:
The Starter Set (X-Wing and two TIEs, you know what's in here)
X-Wing booster
Y-Wing booster
A-Wing booster
E-Wing booster
2x Z95 Headhunter booster
Rebel Aces
Millennium Falcon (yeah yeah)
Slave I
Most Wanted
StarViper booster

I'm considering this a "reasonable" investment insofar as spending hundreds of dollars on spaceship toys can be said to be reasonable namely because quite a few of these things I'll never need to buy again...I'm not going to field three Falcons or some dumb poo poo. The Most Wanted set opens up some nice new options for Rebel Y-Wings and Slave I and I can use the Rebel Headhunters as more Scum ships if I want to go for some crazy Headhunter swarm, so at this point it seems like I have a pretty diverse set of options for running either Rebels or Scum. I haven't dipped into the Imperial side of things too strongly yet, but I'm going to try to act like a fiscally responsible adult for a while. Besides which, I now have a ton of new poo poo to try, a third faction would just be wasted at this point unless I was playing X-Wang every day or something. The only other purchase I plan to make in the near future is some extra dice.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
No hwk? And I think you are missing the mangler cannon which could be a nice upgrade. You could get a scyk for the upgrades.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

So I flew that Defender list and went 50/50 in some slightly competitive but mostly casual couple of games.

Lost the first game because of my inexperience flying all three ships and first time against B&D dual IG2K's, I failed to position the Omicron Group Pilot into effective spots where he could shoot or target lock and help out Col Vessery. I lost Soontir early to general awfulness. I just started to flake paint off of his ships when Omicron ate Heavy Laser Cannon. I ended up losing Vessery a short time later.

Game two was MUCH improved. I maneuvered Soontir out of arc and kept him away from an IG and poured fire on him together with help from Omicron who absorbed HLC and kept acquiring his target locks. Soontir did his fare share of evading and focusing. Vessery stayed at long range on the other IG and whittled him down with primary and target lock rerolls. The final shot of the game came from the much ballyhooed Omicron Group Lambda shuttle. All three ships survived.

Tie (ha) breaker probably tomorrow.

Nice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MRLOLAST posted:

No hwk? And I think you are missing the mangler cannon which could be a nice upgrade. You could get a scyk for the upgrades.

As much as it would be nice to have literally infinite loving around money I decided to call it good here for now both to pace myself and also until I've actually had a chance to play with the new toys I have. I'm aware that the HWK is one of those "Rebels or Scum" ships so it's definitely on my consideration list, as are a couple of Sycks down the road if it turns out I like flying Scum.

Fortunately I don't think there are too many more Rebel ships I can really even buy at this point. There's the YT-2400 I guess because I can't really pass up an opportunity to have my very own DASH RENDAR: TOTALLY NOT AN ATTEMPT TO CREATE A NEW HAN SOLO YOU GUYS, and mmmmmaybe a third X-Wing just to be able to run an all X-Wing flight? I doubt I'm gong to want to run two B-Wings at once, I have two A-Wings and two Headhunters, only one Y-Wing but one in a list seems plenty, one E-Wing, the Falcon...yeah, I feel like I'm pretty good at this point. I'm really, really not going to sink money into one of the huge ships just to get a couple more X-Wing pilots or whatever, the Tantive and Rebel Transport don't really interest me so far. It's possible I may come around on those as I explore scenario play more but otherwise I think I can give'em a miss.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

As much as it would be nice to have literally infinite loving around money I decided to call it good here for now both to pace myself and also until I've actually had a chance to play with the new toys I have. I'm aware that the HWK is one of those "Rebels or Scum" ships so it's definitely on my consideration list, as are a couple of Sycks down the road if it turns out I like flying Scum.

Fortunately I don't think there are too many more Rebel ships I can really even buy at this point. There's the YT-2400 I guess because I can't really pass up an opportunity to have my very own DASH RENDAR: TOTALLY NOT AN ATTEMPT TO CREATE A NEW HAN SOLO YOU GUYS, and mmmmmaybe a third X-Wing just to be able to run an all X-Wing flight? I doubt I'm gong to want to run two B-Wings at once, I have two A-Wings and two Headhunters, only one Y-Wing but one in a list seems plenty, one E-Wing, the Falcon...yeah, I feel like I'm pretty good at this point. I'm really, really not going to sink money into one of the huge ships just to get a couple more X-Wing pilots or whatever, the Tantive and Rebel Transport don't really interest me so far. It's possible I may come around on those as I explore scenario play more but otherwise I think I can give'em a miss.

There's a reason to get a Rebel Transport other than the new (awesome) X-wing pilots and the alt-paint X-wing or using the ship. The large ship bases are kind of a pain to use. The pegs don't always stick together well, and it's really annoying when your ships come off the bases every time you touch them. On the other hand, you can use the taller stands that come with Huge ships as replacement bases for large ships. They stand higher off the table (which is convenient) and are a lot sturdier. I never use "normal" large ship bases and stands anymore.

It's not really worth getting a huge ship just for the bases, but if you're going to get one or have one already, it's 100% worth switching over.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cobbsprite posted:

There's a reason to get a Rebel Transport other than the new (awesome) X-wing pilots and the alt-paint X-wing or using the ship. The large ship bases are kind of a pain to use. The pegs don't always stick together well, and it's really annoying when your ships come off the bases every time you touch them. On the other hand, you can use the taller stands that come with Huge ships as replacement bases for large ships. They stand higher off the table (which is convenient) and are a lot sturdier. I never use "normal" large ship bases and stands anymore.

It's not really worth getting a huge ship just for the bases, but if you're going to get one or have one already, it's 100% worth switching over.

Oh good, it's not just me. Putting together the Falcon and Slave I last night was an unexpected pain in the rear end. I made it work by swapping the pegs I'd gotten with both ships around until I found a combo that worked but holy poo poo. It'd be nice if FFG sold "peg and stand" packs or something.

Strangely, so far the one thing I've got that likes to just unexpectedly pop off is the cardboard insert for my Y-Wing. It doesn't fit snugly in the base so every time I grab it by the base to pick it up if I've got the insert more than the plastic it just slides right up. Kind of annoying but not a huge deal.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
How do you kill Luke + R2-D2 + Marksmanship?

I only recently started playing with a friend, and we each just have a core set, so it's been nothing but 2 X-wings vs 4 TIEs. But rebels have won almost every single game we've played because Luke+R2 shrugs just about any damage the TIEs do.

It's at the point I'm wondering if I'm missing something. If Luke is stressed does he still get to turn one focus result to an evade?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Duct Tape posted:

I only recently started playing with a friend, and we each just have a core set, so it's been nothing but 2 X-wings vs 4 TIEs. But rebels have won almost every single game we've played because Luke+R2 shrugs just about any damage the TIEs do.

It's at the point I'm wondering if I'm missing something. If Luke is stressed does he still get to turn one focus result to an evade?

To answer your latter question, stress only prevents you from A). taking actions and B). using red maneuvers. Luke's ability isn't an action, so even when stressed he gets to use it. This applies to any pilot ability.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Duct Tape posted:

Youre going to find that to be a very uphill battle until you start playing with non core ships.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I haven't played as Imperials yet but during the intro Starter Set battle I was expecting to have more trouble than I did being outnumbered 2v1 and nope, the X-Wing pretty much blew both TIEs out of the sky without taking any significant damage. I imagine Luke+R2 and another X-Wing vs four TIES is probably not going to wind up much better unless there's some rad way to kit those suckers out.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I haven't played as Imperials yet but during the intro Starter Set battle I was expecting to have more trouble than I did being outnumbered 2v1 and nope, the X-Wing pretty much blew both TIEs out of the sky without taking any significant damage. I imagine Luke+R2 and another X-Wing vs four TIES is probably not going to wind up much better unless there's some rad way to kit those suckers out.

X-wing vs TIE Fighter is all about positioning, which is something that takes time and practice to learn to do well. X-wings are jousters, which means they are at their best when going face-first at enemy ships and filling them full of laser holes. TIE Fighters are arc-dodgers, which means they excel at dancing out of the firing arc of enemy ships. If the X-wings and TIE Fighters can shoot at each other, X-wings usually win. What you need to do as TIE Fighters is learn to split up your formation and barrel roll out of their firing arc so the X-wings never get that good shot in.

Also rock Dark Curse like a *beast*.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have started working on a "royal" starviper that's gonna be NMM gold fringes with jade and ruby insets. Kill me now. It'll hopefully look pretty but the damned small lines running between the inset panels is gonna be rough. Maybe one day it'll also be useful. :unsmith:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Every time I build a scum list I get about 50ish points in before wishing they had a b-wing equivalent. Something efficient that wont end up being a points hog or one shot. Why couldnt that have been the viper.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Won the 3rd game from the casuals I was mentioning earlier. I really like the Lambda shuttle. It's an armored security van in space.

Soontir aced a clumsy stressed IG-B. I failed to finish off IG-D and return fire and poor rolling means Soontir popped, We left debris on the table and a stressed Omicron Pilot flew through it and took damage. Very cinematic. Vessery jousted with the flaming wreck that was IG-D and heavy lasers ended the game.

2 out o the 3 games I lost Soontir Fel. I'm so bad at flying Interceptors and I feel like a failure at life.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

zVxTeflon posted:

Every time I build a scum list I get about 50ish points in before wishing they had a b-wing equivalent. Something efficient that wont end up being a points hog or one shot. Why couldnt that have been the viper.

Man don't tell me StarVipers aren't good, don't bring me down.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

Man don't tell me StarVipers aren't good, don't bring me down.

Guri seems to be better than ol' Prince Xizor lol.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well that's just abiding by the canon. Xizor was a creepy lizard rapist who got kneed in the balls by Leia after he tried to pheromone seduce her, then his skyhook gets blown up by Darth Vader. Meanwhile Guri went on to appear in comics and stuff while Xizor basically died offscreen and yet despite having a "never saw the body" death nobody ever brought him back, probably because he kinda sucks.

I dunno, I'm hopefully playing again on Thursday and I'm bringing my Scum along so I'll give the flying X a try, I really want to find some cool poo poo to do with it because I dig the design.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kai Tave posted:

Well that's just abiding by the canon. Xizor was a creepy lizard rapist who got kneed in the balls by Leia after he tried to pheromone seduce her, then his skyhook gets blown up by Darth Vader. Meanwhile Guri went on to appear in comics and stuff while Xizor basically died offscreen and yet despite having a "never saw the body" death nobody ever brought him back, probably because he kinda sucks.

I dunno, I'm hopefully playing again on Thursday and I'm bringing my Scum along so I'll give the flying X a try, I really want to find some cool poo poo to do with it because I dig the design.

I hate to say it, but the reason Guri was kept on in the comics isn't because she was a good character.

:eng99:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Guri seems to be better than ol' Prince Xizor lol.

Xizor actually seems to fit in at slightly higher points. Mainly because there are tons of cannon fodder for him to spread damage to and he gives damage back alright. He's just a touch too expensive in the 100 point range.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Update to my dealing-with-Luke situation. Played another game and actually won as the Imperials!

I took out Biggs immediately by keeping my TIEs focused on him at close range, with a handful of Range 1 shots. Managed to force Luke into a corner of the play area where he (albeit just barely) fled the battlefield. A win by technicality, but I'll take it.

Came across another situation that made me wonder if we were missing a rule or not: a stressed pilot executes a green maneuver that causes them to overlap another ship. From my understanding, they correct their position by backing along the movement template, skip their Perform Action step, and can't attack the ship they're now touching. But do they still get to remove their stress token? From everything we saw in the rules they get to remove it, but it just seemed odd that a pilot would recover from stress, even when colliding with another ship.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Duct Tape posted:

But do they still get to remove their stress token?

Yup

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Duct Tape posted:

Update to my dealing-with-Luke situation. Played another game and actually won as the Imperials!

I took out Biggs immediately by keeping my TIEs focused on him at close range, with a handful of Range 1 shots. Managed to force Luke into a corner of the play area where he (albeit just barely) fled the battlefield. A win by technicality, but I'll take it.

Came across another situation that made me wonder if we were missing a rule or not: a stressed pilot executes a green maneuver that causes them to overlap another ship. From my understanding, they correct their position by backing along the movement template, skip their Perform Action step, and can't attack the ship they're now touching. But do they still get to remove their stress token? From everything we saw in the rules they get to remove it, but it just seemed odd that a pilot would recover from stress, even when colliding with another ship.

They cannot attack a ship they are in base contact with. If the ship they bumped moves, they can shoot it.

Ships also don't 'collide' as I'm sure you're thinking. It's an abstraction for swerving and maneuvering to avoid a collision. If collisions were actually involved, so would be damage.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Strobe posted:

They cannot attack a ship they are in base contact with. If the ship they bumped moves, they can shoot it.

Ships also don't 'collide' as I'm sure you're thinking. It's an abstraction for swerving and maneuvering to avoid a collision. If collisions were actually involved, so would be damage.

Yup. We see Huge ships getting and causing damage for collisions, and capital ships in Armada have collision damage, but starfighters are just swerving to avoid kissing cockpits.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, Keyan + Stay On Target + Advanced Sensors. Pretty amazing. Being able to pick the 2 K-turn, then swap it into any possible 2 speed move you want at the "cost" of it being red is awesome. Being able to pick a hard 1 turn to do the same trick is also pretty awesome. Ran him with Wedge plus a Prototype and a Z-95, went pretty well against an albeit goofy scum list.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I played in the first round of the escalation league today, and went 2-1 with the Predator Wedge and Luke setup suggested here. The first game was somewhat close with my opponent having Dash Rendar and a Blue Wing B-Wing. We both made some mistakes, but in the end, Dash didn't have enough damage dice to be a threat without a weapon addon.

The second game was a blowout. My opponent had a Firespray with the pilot that gets an extra attack behind and a prox mine, along with a 1 skill Z-95. I hung back, and when he charged in with the Firespray, Wedge just unloaded and blew it up in the space of 2 rounds with a little help from Luke.

My last game was my loss that could have been a win if I manuvered Wedge a little better. My opponent had Chewie with Veteran Instincts and the ability to redirect a crit onto Chewie along with a basic HWK. I had Luke out in front with Wedge hanging behind, and my opponent took the bait, focusing on Luke. By the time Luke had gotten destroyed (by a range 1 shot from the HWK) I had Chewie down to a single hull with Wedge at full shields. The problem was at that point Wedge just had a rear corner in his firing arc and the falcon started taking 1 speed sharp turns. I couldn't turn hard enough to get the falcon in my sights, and the second turn was too close to the edge of the board to make a K-turn safely. My opponent had some really good rolls those two turns and Wedge fell apart pretty quick.

Looking at what other people were playing, I saw a Phantom with 2 other TIE fighters, 2 B-Wings and an A-Wing, Star Viper and 2 Z-95s, a 2 X-Wing (lesser pilots with astromechs). In all, it seemed like people were going for either lots of ships, or lots of hit points.

I had a lot fun time my second time playing. After this league is over, I might try finding a tournament to try playing a little more competitively. I think when I grow my 30 points for next week, I am going to add a B-Wing. I need something that can dish out some decent damage to chew through all those hull and shield points out there. It won't hurt to have another decoy out there screening for wedge.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 7, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Orvin posted:

I played in the first round of the escalation league today, and went 2-1 with the Predator Wedge and Luke setup suggested here.

I've noticed this pattern where people take builds I suggest and then do well with them. Apparently I just suck. :v:

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
What is up with the points difference of B- wings and Tie - Defenders. I mean omg it can do a white k- turn but the rest of the dial is nothing special. 8 points is to much. They should cost the same or similar.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

What is up with the points difference of B- wings and Tie - Defenders. I mean omg it can do a white k- turn but the rest of the dial is nothing special. 8 points is to much. They should cost the same or similar.

White k-turning @ 4, while predictable, is very awesome. I'm not sure it's 8pts awesome, but target lock and 3's across the board is nice for a TIE.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MRLOLAST posted:

What is up with the points difference of B- wings and Tie - Defenders.

The B-wing is under cost and the Defender (not wanting to make the same mistake) was over cost

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

MRLOLAST posted:

I do agree that the Defender is a little overcosted, but 3 AG vs 1 is a pretty big difference. Yeah that costs you 2 shields, but if you don't get 2 extra evades out of those dice most games I'd be awfully surprised.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
There are so many things that cause crits or stop your green dice ( Vader, autoblaster ect) that shields are getting underrated in my meta at least. At the moment the defender is unplayable in my group.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I guess the Starviper is priced correctly compared to B- wings and defender. B- wings is the best ship in comparison and with the pilots available.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 7, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

MRLOLAST posted:

There are so many things that cause crits or stop your green dice ( Vader, autoblaster ect) that shields are getting underrated in my meta at least. At the moment the defender is unplayable in my group.

This is a really valid point of discussion - Not only (obviously) do relative 'values' of things change as new ships & upgrades are released, but in the immediate term, there's more & more ways since they were released for ships to negate dice, but not many ways for them to negate pure 'tank' in terms of Shields/Hull. These things are actually making the B-Wing, Decimator et all better over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

MRLOLAST posted:

I guess the Starviper is priced correctly compared to B- wings and defender. B- wings is the best ship in comparison and with the pilots available.

The Starviper would be priced correctly if it had a single decent pilot to use with it. No generic EPT (the Scyk got them for some reason) pilots, and the two named pilots are low PS and Xizor has a mediocre ability at best as well.

• Locked thread