Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

i7-4720HQ vs 8gb ram/i5-5200U

The i7 is quad core normal voltage, and the i5 is dual core and ultra low voltage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Do you want some degree of portability, or do you want a quad core?

Also isn't a 'Killer' branded network card an immediate red flag to avoid the system?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sir Pukesalot posted:

The i7 is quad core normal voltage, and the i5 is dual core and ultra low voltage.

So assuming I never intend to run this thing without it being plugged in, option 2 is better?

dissss posted:

Do you want some degree of portability, or do you want a quad core?

Also isn't a 'Killer' branded network card an immediate red flag to avoid the system?

It's going to be in hotel rooms pretty much entirely. I won't be using it at client sites or anything like that.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 2, 2015

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

So assuming I never intend to run this thing without it being plugged in, option 2 is better?

If you don't want to play games that are cpu-intensive in any way, then yes. Keep in mind that the quad core will probably also have a ~decent battery life, while the i5 will have a ~very good battery life.

Also what the dude under me posted.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

signalnoise posted:

If you really want to lug a 6lbs behemoth (which undoubtedly also has a massive 135W+ power brick) around then I guess so.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That looks nice but after adding an SSD I'm better off just getting the 11" Air

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

That looks nice but after adding an SSD I'm better off just getting the 11" Air

I think somebody posted something about Apple with Linux might not be so easy(citation needed!) so look into that first.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sir Pukesalot posted:

If you don't want to play games that are cpu-intensive in any way, then yes. Keep in mind that the quad core will probably also have a ~decent battery life, while the i5 will have a ~very good battery life.

Also what the dude under me posted.

So dual core is better than quad core given the same speed?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Has anyone had experience with the GTX 970M or 980M? Is the 980M really that much of a performance boost?

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Not entirely sure I understand that one.. Except battery life and weight quad cores are (generally speaking) better then dual cores. Also you need to buy an external USB-internet card for the i5 powered laptop, as the "killer"-thing is poo poo.

VVVV that is a better way of explaining it, but gently caress writing that on a phone!

Sir Pukesalot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 2, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

signalnoise posted:

No that's backwards - that quad core i7 is a lot faster than a ulv i5 even at single threaded stuff. e. If, of course, the cooling system is up to it.

How much it matters depends on the type of games you expect to play - having a quad core is becoming more important all the time but for most games the GPU remains more important.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks for all this, I think it made my decision.

supercow
Aug 11, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Lenovo OneLink dock has an HDMI port, OneLink Pro has a DVI and a DisplayPort.

Oh wow this looks like exactly what I need. Reviews for this aren't super great though on amazon, seems like a lot of people have trouble with dual monitor set up lagging and also with monitor flapping (going in and out of power save mode). Have you used this?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MonkeyFit posted:

Has anyone had experience with the GTX 970M or 980M? Is the 980M really that much of a performance boost?

It's 70% of the performance of a GTX 980 so yes, yes it is.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Would someone be willing to give me a valuation on this?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708844#post443248344

Thanks for your time

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sir Pukesalot posted:

I think somebody posted something about Apple with Linux might not be so easy(citation needed!) so look into that first.
I have an 2012 11" MBA dual booted with OSX and Linux Mint and was able to get it installed with relative ease. This was just a couple of months ago too.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
My employer uses an ancient Asus EEE PC netbook for ordering new product. All orders are placed through the vendor's website using a USB barcode scanner to input the product. Since it's an old netbook, the thing crawls if we are placing a large order with many items in the shopping cart. What would be the best laptop/netbook/chromebook to replace it? The only requirements are a good battery life, web browsing and the ability to use the USB Barcode scanner.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Check out the Microsoft store. Lots of machines under 400 bones that would run circles around that old netbook. And because they use low power CPUs they get decent battery life.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

fat greasy puto posted:

Would someone be willing to give me a valuation on this?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708844#post443248344

Thanks for your time

Like the guy said 750 is a bit too much when it comes to offloading laptops. You're two generations behind in terms of your CPU, and three generations behind for your GPU. I know a guy who was sold a used Y410p, a gaming laptop with a 755m and a Haswell CPU, for 400-500. The fact that your computer is 17 inches too won't win it any favours. On the other hand, the SSD, while old, will definitely help bring the price up and it certainly has lots of storage to spare.

Honestly I wouldn't pay more than $350 for it or so, but the 17 inches thing is a huge dealbreaker for me. You could probably find a buyer for $450 or so. Looking on ebay I see people a few results of people selling laptops with similar specs for around $250-500. Your SSD will probably bring that value closer to $4-500 or so, but eh. It's kinda hard to make a valuation on old laptops like this, especially for gaming machines. Your best bet is to try and find someone who wants to play indie/older PC games/the Sims on a budget and sell it to them. There's not a lot of options for people who want to game without paying more than $500 for a laptop, you could appeal to that market.

Selling laptops is really not fun. You've my sympathies on that front.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 3, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Valuation on this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704906

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm looking for a couple of laptop recommendations, one for myself and one for a friend.

First, for myself, I want a laptop mainly for light gaming - XCOM, Civ5, Minecraft, Terraria, other cheap Steam games, maybe going so far as Dark Souls 1&2, all at medium-high settings with good framerates, which I think integrated should be good for? - at friends' houses and while traveling, as well as for watching movies, playing music, etc.. Fairly typical, I think, nothing too intensive or anything. I'm used to 15.6" screens for laptops, and have been trying to convince myself 14" would be fine, but nothing smaller than that. A good, matte IPS screen is a must, and I'd probably rather have a non-touchscreen, everything else being equal. It would be constantly on the go with me, so weight, durability, and battery life are all pretty important, in that order. My last laptop was 6lbs, and I hated that. Ideally I'd like one 5lbs at the very most, with a good, durable, preferably metal body. I would love to have a 250gb or 500gb SSD main drive, whether it comes with the laptop or I'd have to install it myself, but I've never messed around inside laptops, so if the latter, I'd like it to be one that's pretty easy to upgrade myself. Probably want a 5th-gen i5, with 4-8gb ram.

I don't know the laptop market at all; would around $800-$1000 be reasonable for these specs? If not, what would be, and/or what might I need to compromise on to be in that budget range? If all that's good: aesthetics are a bit less important than everything mentioned above, but I do prefer thin, sleek designs, matte with dark colors. My favorite so far, at least from images online, is the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black, although its specs are way more than I need, and I've read several poor reviews of it. I have seen a Lenovo Y50 in person, and I've been going back-and-forth on what I think of its design. I think I like it, except... I don't know, maybe it's something about the hinge? It looks funny somehow.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. I keep looking at stuff myself, but tend to gravitate towards machines completely overpowered for what I want, not to mention being heavier and probably worse in battery life :v:

So, moving on to my friend:

Friend posted:

The goal for this laptop is to be a machine primarily dedicated to programming and computer science projects. For this reason, the highest priorities are processing power and availible memory. In particular, having multiple true cores availible is important, high speed on these cores is important, and some projects (machine learning and AI projects) may have very heavy memory consumption. My laptop is practically my life and is likely to accompany me everywhere -- I want to be able to trust in its durability, I would like for it to have a fairly reliable battery, and I'd like for it to be a manageable size and weight. I also despise having a glossy screen, and I'm not too happy with the glossy plastic body my laptop has right now, so I'd like to avoid those things. (Especially the glossy screen, I hate it with a passion.) The operating systems that will definitely live on the machine are Windows and various Linux distributions, so Macs can probably be overlooked.
The remaining requirements are less directly important to my main use case. Hard drive space is not a huge concern, as long as it is above a reasonable level. An SSD that doesn't break the bank would be nice, but an HDD is just fine; I'd prefer not to deal with a hybrid setup. I have no great need for a dedicated graphics card, but I wouldn't overlook an otherwise great machine that has one, especially if it can still be light, quiet, and be power efficient (and I may give a little extra consideration for a graphics card that is CUDA/OpenCL capable). I have no great preference between the TN and IPS screen types, so I would probably lean toward TN, but it isn't a deal breaker.
Price range is $700-1500. As much as ~$2000 for a very good machine.

More specific and in list format; ordered by mention, roughly ordered by importance:
Processor: 2+ true cores required, 4+ preferred; high core speeds a priority; a large cache favored.
Memory: 4GB RAM required, 8GB+ greatly preferred; low latency would also be great if it can be found.
Build: good design and durable construction heavily favored, and a metallic body with a matte finish ideal.
Battery: ideally 2-3 hours minimum, but longer is always better; this won't overshadow an otherwise awesome machine.
Size: 14-15.6" preferred.
Weight: preferably around 5lbs maximum, but not a deal breaker in any case.
Screen: non-glossy, resolution at or better than 1366x768; TN type probably slightly preferred.
Hard Drive: ~250GB required, more is better up to ~1TB; HDD and SSD both acceptable (hybrid to be avoided).
Graphics: good integrated graphics likely preferred, but a low-impact dedicated card would not be disliked.
In regards to the screen type, he prefers other people to not see his screen, also he's insane and keeps his screen terribly dark. I can barely see anything on his current laptop if I'm sitting right in front of it, but that's what he prefers. So the slight preference towards TN is because he doesn't care about two of the main IPS benefits, while TN is cheaper.

Thanks!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

I'm looking for a couple of laptop recommendations, one for myself and one for a friend.

First, for myself, I want a laptop mainly for light gaming - XCOM, Civ5, Minecraft, Terraria, other cheap Steam games, maybe going so far as Dark Souls 1&2, all at medium-high settings with good framerates, which I think integrated should be good for? - at friends' houses and while traveling, as well as for watching movies, playing music, etc.. Fairly typical, I think, nothing too intensive or anything. I'm used to 15.6" screens for laptops, and have been trying to convince myself 14" would be fine, but nothing smaller than that. A good, matte IPS screen is a must, and I'd probably rather have a non-touchscreen, everything else being equal. It would be constantly on the go with me, so weight, durability, and battery life are all pretty important, in that order. My last laptop was 6lbs, and I hated that. Ideally I'd like one 5lbs at the very most, with a good, durable, preferably metal body. I would love to have a 250gb or 500gb SSD main drive, whether it comes with the laptop or I'd have to install it myself, but I've never messed around inside laptops, so if the latter, I'd like it to be one that's pretty easy to upgrade myself. Probably want a 5th-gen i5, with 4-8gb ram.

I don't know the laptop market at all; would around $800-$1000 be reasonable for these specs? If not, what would be, and/or what might I need to compromise on to be in that budget range? If all that's good: aesthetics are a bit less important than everything mentioned above, but I do prefer thin, sleek designs, matte with dark colors. My favorite so far, at least from images online, is the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black, although its specs are way more than I need, and I've read several poor reviews of it. I have seen a Lenovo Y50 in person, and I've been going back-and-forth on what I think of its design. I think I like it, except... I don't know, maybe it's something about the hinge? It looks funny somehow.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. I keep looking at stuff myself, but tend to gravitate towards machines completely overpowered for what I want, not to mention being heavier and probably worse in battery life :v:

So, moving on to my friend:

In regards to the screen type, he prefers other people to not see his screen, also he's insane and keeps his screen terribly dark. I can barely see anything on his current laptop if I'm sitting right in front of it, but that's what he prefers. So the slight preference towards TN is because he doesn't care about two of the main IPS benefits, while TN is cheaper.

Thanks!
Dunno about your friend but a y50 sounds perfect for you. You're not going to be playing anything with integrated graphics though. Xcom, Civ, minecraft and terraria will be fine, but dark souls games are probably a no go unless you have some sort of dGPU probably, despite DS2 being very well optimized. Even the newest iGPUs struggle at playing things heavier than that. Strive for something with an 860m or better. If you grab a y50 and put in a 850 EVO SSD aftermarket you'll probably be within the very top end of your budget.

For your friend it seems like all of his requirements would be met by a cheap workstation comptuer, but I dunno about the screen thing. There are monitor screens designed to have very limited viewing angles that are used by the TSA and other TLAs of that sort. I imagine laptops of a similar sort have to exist but I have no idea of how you'd go about getting them.

Honestly your price seems fair to me? Especially with that nice warranty.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've been using the Sager 8651 for a few weeks now. Great laptop.

+ Slim and light
+ Well-constructed
+ Nice screen
+ Great specs

- Screen's a bit floppy
- Hot
- Can be loud

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Acer CB3 11 Chromebook is on sale for $129.99 at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11...7&skuId=8610161

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The Iron Rose posted:

For your friend it seems like all of his requirements would be met by a cheap workstation comptuer, but I dunno about the screen thing. There are monitor screens designed to have very limited viewing angles that are used by the TSA and other TLAs of that sort. I imagine laptops of a similar sort have to exist but I have no idea of how you'd go about getting them.
There are things you stick over the screen for that purpose. Search "3M privacy filter". They're remarkably expensive for a piece of film though, $80 for a 15.6" one from 3M direct.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

The Iron Rose posted:

Dunno about your friend but a y50 sounds perfect for you. You're not going to be playing anything with integrated graphics though. Xcom, Civ, minecraft and terraria will be fine, but dark souls games are probably a no go unless you have some sort of dGPU probably, despite DS2 being very well optimized. Even the newest iGPUs struggle at playing things heavier than that. Strive for something with an 860m or better. If you grab a y50 and put in a 850 EVO SSD aftermarket you'll probably be within the very top end of your budget.

I suppose Dark Souls was more just a hope I could play it with integrated. Would it change your recommendation if I were to stick to the other games? I think I'd prefer less weight and power consumption over having a dedicated gpu. If that doesn't change anything, I do have a few questions. Is it easy to change out the hard drive? What's real-life, non-gaming battery life like? Isn't the Y50 over 5lbs? Are the Y40s as good? They don't list what type of screen they are, and I know very little about AMD graphics cards.

The Iron Rose posted:

The screen's not really a big deal for him, I was just trying to preempt any "why would he prefer TN over IPS?" questions. I do know he'd strongly prefer a physical quad-core, though, would that still fall under "cheap workstation computer"? If so, would you have any specific recommendations?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Just wanted to pop in and say a massive thanks to whoever suggested the Dell XPS13 to me to buy, it loving owns so hard good lord. :swoon:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

supercow posted:

Oh wow this looks like exactly what I need. Reviews for this aren't super great though on amazon, seems like a lot of people have trouble with dual monitor set up lagging and also with monitor flapping (going in and out of power save mode). Have you used this?

Only in the office, never for gaming.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How big is the difference between the integrated gpu og Haswell and Broadwell in their respective macbook pros?

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Sharks Below posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say a massive thanks to whoever suggested the Dell XPS13 to me to buy, it loving owns so hard good lord. :swoon:

Did you go for the 1080p screen or the upgrade? I'm about ready to pull the trigger but unsure on if the screen upgrade is worth it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

I suppose Dark Souls was more just a hope I could play it with integrated. Would it change your recommendation if I were to stick to the other games? I think I'd prefer less weight and power consumption over having a dedicated gpu. If that doesn't change anything, I do have a few questions. Is it easy to change out the hard drive? What's real-life, non-gaming battery life like? Isn't the Y50 over 5lbs? Are the Y40s as good? They don't list what type of screen they are, and I know very little about AMD graphics cards.
The Y40s have shiiiiiit graphics. Like, significantly worse than previous generation 750m graphics.

The y50 is 5.3 pounds, so slightly over but AFAIK the best value for your specs you'll find. I'd advise searching around for a laptop with an 860m though. You have so much more flexibility with the games you play as compared to iGPUs it isn't even funny.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html

Swapping out the HDD for the SSD is a piece of cake. There should be plenty of youtube videos on how to do that, but really it's as simple as unscrewing the back plate, unscrewing the caddy, swapping the two drives and bam you're set.

Honestly the problem is that there's not a lot of laptops between 800-1000 with half decent specs. The Y50 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head to be honest. Keep searching, but I wouldn't expect overmuch.

If you really didn't want to play any games at all I'd probably recommend the HP Spectre, which is similar to the XPS 13 and slightly worse, but a lot cheaper.

quote:

The screen's not really a big deal for him, I was just trying to preempt any "why would he prefer TN over IPS?" questions. I do know he'd strongly prefer a physical quad-core, though, would that still fall under "cheap workstation computer"? If so, would you have any specific recommendations?

Most likely yeah. You're not going to find physical quad core laptops outside of high end gaming rigs or workstations IIRC, if only because they draw so much power.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I ended up ordering an acre chrome book from Amazon which seems to be easy to ubuntuize. It's has 4g ram and 32g ssd. I'm not super worried about graphics as long as I can Netflix without too much tearing I'll be happy

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A MIRACLE posted:

I ended up ordering an acre chrome book from Amazon which seems to be easy to ubuntuize. It's has 4g ram and 32g ssd. I'm not super worried about graphics as long as I can Netflix without too much tearing I'll be happy

You might not even need to install Ubuntu. When you jump into Chrome OS you'd be surprised at how efficient it is for most things. Netflix being one of them :) There's a Netflix "app" in the Chrome Web Store that you can pin to your Chrome OS shelf that also gives you the option to run Netflix in it's own separate window.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Im gonna reiterate how much i am enjoying the asus x205t that i was recommended here. For basic poo poo it is amazing and still has the freedom of windows 8.1

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm looking to buy a laptop that will run Skype and Hearthstone as well as Netflix to my TV via an HDMI cable. As such, I think my minimum requirements are an HDMI port and I don't care one fig about the screen size. Is there anything I'm missing that I should look out for or can I just walk into my local electronics store and get the cheapest thing that satisfies this and probably do OK?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

The Iron Rose posted:

The Y40s have shiiiiiit graphics. Like, significantly worse than previous generation 750m graphics.

The y50 is 5.3 pounds, so slightly over but AFAIK the best value for your specs you'll find. I'd advise searching around for a laptop with an 860m though. You have so much more flexibility with the games you play as compared to iGPUs it isn't even funny.

The Y50 does have an 860m though? At least, the one I just ordered from the Lenovo site does.

Quite excited to get it, but it's not scheduled to be here until at least mid to late April. Patience is lame.

edit: nevermind! I just checked and it just shipped today. Excellent.

Gzuz-Kriced fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 4, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

The Y50 does have an 860m though? At least, the one I just ordered from the Lenovo site does.

Quite excited to get it, but it's not scheduled to be here until at least mid to late April. Patience is lame.

edit: nevermind! I just checked and it just shipped today. Excellent.

Whoops, I mistyped. But yeah if you wanna play games try and find a laptop with an 860m or better, which you can do at around a $1000 price point.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Is the touchscreen on the xps 13 better than the non touch? Anyone find themselves utilizing the touch screen or do you forget its there? Hows the keyboard? Looking for something lighter than my T420 with better battery that I can carry around school all day.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mills posted:

I'm looking to buy a laptop that will run Skype and Hearthstone as well as Netflix to my TV via an HDMI cable. As such, I think my minimum requirements are an HDMI port and I don't care one fig about the screen size. Is there anything I'm missing that I should look out for or can I just walk into my local electronics store and get the cheapest thing that satisfies this and probably do OK?

For the most part the cheapest thing will do this. Even a tablet will skype and hearthstone and stream netflix if it supports HDMI output. I think with a chromecast or otg to hdmi adapter even my nexus 7 2013 would handle these tasks, although I find hearthstone less annoying with a mouse (but the tablet can do that, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Will I regret getting the 3k display on the W550S?

Also is the touchpad super horrible? I feel like Lenovo did something weird lately with their touchpads. I bought my daughter an X1 carbon with the stupid touch function keys and the clicking on the touchpad is almost unusable especially if using the trackpoint. I noticed that the W550S has hardware mousekeys for the trackpoint so that seems to be better at least.