Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mac is going to be completely insufferable from now until about June, whatever the result.

And after, but at least with the occasional bout of charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I'm kind of amazed/appalled that he's being so nakedly partisan. Perhaps he just doesn't have the imagination to be otherwise.

Also no one commented on my Jak post. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I always got a Giles book for Christmas as a kid, but one year got a Jak book instead. :smith:

Also :smith: : learning that Giles was actually fairly left-wing, but held his nose and worked for the Express because they paid him lots of money.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Payndz posted:

Also :smith: : learning that Giles was actually fairly left-wing, but held his nose and worked for the Express because they paid him lots of money.
drat, that's pretty sad. On the other hand, they really did - he basically was kind of a celebrity for much of the time he was active, to an extent cartoonists now could only dream of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

I eagerly await the Paul Thomas Marxist Collection now that he's free from the Express.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

I'm kind of amazed/appalled that he's being so nakedly partisan. Perhaps he just doesn't have the imagination to be otherwise.

Maybe we were politely ignoring your suspicious depth of Jak knowledge!

Don't forget Mac is an old man who does 'comedy' for the right-wing trash paper. If he doesn't go full UKIP he'll at least be shouting at Labour for being marginally less reactionary than the Tories. I'm just looking forward to him getting more and more bitter and vicious as Labour gain ground :ohdear:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Can't wait for a tory landslide and PM Boris Legernd

no, wait, PM May for all your thatcher reenactment needs

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Am I being overly sensitive, or is a cartoon where the punchline is "haha, I bet this guy I don't like suffers from mental illness" super lovely? Especially given how vicious the rumours about Gordon Brown were.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Maybe we were politely ignoring your suspicious depth of Jak knowledge!

Nah, my Dad collected Giles volumes and - like with payndz - a Jak got in there somehow. If I had it now I'd scan it, there's a full-on cannibal stereotype in leopardskin and with a bone in their hair, in a cartoon about Cuba.

Party Boat posted:

Am I being overly sensitive, or is a cartoon where the punchline is "haha, I bet this guy I don't like suffers from mental illness" super lovely? Especially given how vicious the rumours about Gordon Brown were.
There's a bit of leeway on this as pressure at work can lead to these conditions, but yeah making mental illness a joke is pretty crappy.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Can't wait for a tory landslide and PM Boris Legernd

no, wait, PM May

...James?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has anyone attempted to figure out how many additional votes Boris gets from the LEGERND effect?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Party Boat posted:

Am I being overly sensitive, or is a cartoon where the punchline is "haha, I bet this guy I don't like suffers from mental illness" super lovely?
Yes, you are (and thats not the joke, either.)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Kegluneq posted:

Sorry. It was great! :glomp:

Theresa, more likely.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the countdown to the general election – Chancellor George Osborne today visited a drinks factory in Leeds where he told workers his party had ‘just 36 days left to save Britain’s economic recovery’, citing a letter from 100 business leaders published in The Telegraph"

Telegraph:

Seven-way debate tonight!

Yesterday's Independent:

Independent:

100 business chiefs: Labour threatens Britain's recovery

Times:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Don't really follow UK politics besides reading these cartoons, but wouldn't a bunch of fat cats freaking out over the relatively milquetoast Milliband only help give him some legitimacy with the not-stinking-rich demographic? I don't know the mood of the man in the street in Britain but I would assume they wouldn't be moved favorably by the grousing of the wealthy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Dolash posted:

Don't really follow UK politics besides reading these cartoons, but wouldn't a bunch of fat cats freaking out over the relatively milquetoast Milliband only help give him some legitimacy with the not-stinking-rich demographic? I don't know the mood of the man in the street in Britain but I would assume they wouldn't be moved favorably by the grousing of the wealthy.

Do not underestimate the capacity for deference that the UK public has towards influence and wealth.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Dolash posted:

Nation of shopkeepers and other petty bourgeoisie, remember. The whole 'job-creator' schtick has a lot of traction here as well.

Mark Steel's response to the letter is pretty good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also that was done by the torygraph and the reaction from other papers has been pretty skeptical.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also that was done by the torygraph and the reaction from other papers has been pretty skeptical.

Right, just look at those cartoons from the Times and the Independent.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
ITV News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc6YH4-IHME

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the leaders' debate – Guardian/ICM post-debate poll shows Miliband winning by a whisker over Conservative leader - by 25% to 24% – with Farage in third and Sturgeon pushing Clegg into fifth place"

Telegraph:

Times:

Putin threat of nuclear showdown over Baltics; After Eagle magazine.

Yesterday's Mail:
Mac on... Ed Miliband calling for the next James Bond to be a woman

Mail:
Mac on... last night's televised General Election debate

'Apparently last night was rubbish TV. The first MP to swim naked in a pond wearing a chest wig will get her vote'

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

....what?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The grim looking working class lady is not interested in politics because it doesn't feature enough attractive, half-naked men.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What's a poldark?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BBC costume drama about smugglers in 18th century Cornwall.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

^--You're thinking of Jamaica Inn I think.

The best thing about that cartoon is that it could have been drawn any time in the past forty years. Only the wheelie bin gives it away.

Gonzo McFee posted:

What's a poldark?

Exhibit A.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh ok. Women am I right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My only knowledge of Poldark is other people talking about it. But there have been quite a few.

Oh, right, it's not the smuggler one, it's the other one.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He makes my poldark amirite?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gonzo McFee posted:

He makes my poldark amirite?

You should probably talk to your doctor about that, I don't think that's meant to happen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My Member is standing for re-election.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the leaders' debate – An always tense, sometimes disjointed and occasionally cacophonous seven-way live TV leaders’ debate saw Ed Miliband just slip ahead of his rivals, according to a snap Guardian/ICM poll"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Goya.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
Times:

Oh my christ, please just :fuckoff: forever.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

You *could* take all the time and effort to come up with a new caricature for a newly emerging figure, but that would take like some kind of time and/or effort, so best just to flip the gender of the one you did for The Last Guy and we can call that satire for now. Add in some tartan if you've got a spare minute left over.

Why was Salmond a mouse in the first place again? Something about pounds or something, I forget.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It involved a lot of pound coins as ears

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Angepain posted:

You *could* take all the time and effort to come up with a new caricature for a newly emerging figure, but that would take like some kind of time and/or effort, so best just to flip the gender of the one you did for The Last Guy and we can call that satire for now. Add in some tartan if you've got a spare minute left over.

Why was Salmond a mouse in the first place again? Something about pounds or something, I forget.

also because scotland is mickey mouse right hahaha right

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"David Cameron and the elephant in the room - Chris Riddell on the party leaders’ TV debate"

Sunday Telegraph:

Nicola Sturgeon 'secretly backs David Cameron'; Election 2015: Nicola Sturgeon hits out at 'dirty tricks'

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Nicola Sturgeon memo row – Civil service instigates investigation into leaked memo from Foreign Office about supposed comments about favouring David Cameron"

Telegraph:

Election 2015: UKIP leader Nigel Farage vists beer festival in Margate

Independent:

Times:

Pension cash changes come into force

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Surprised to see the Indie running with that story .

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was going to go to Planet Thanet (the beer festival). I could have seen the man himself.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the general election campaign – Prime minister warns against the risk of an Ed Miliband government propped up by Nicola Sturgeon" Also 6 pictures of David Cameron feeding a newborn lamb that will make you incredibly jealous

Independent:

Pension pots can now be raided for Lamborghinis, as discussed in 2014.

Times:

Election 2015: Ed Miliband wanted to be 'happy warrior' in TV debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tony Blair’s speech warning against EU referendum – Three-time election winner says he agrees with Ed Miliband that inequality is central challenge, in speech warning against EU referendum" After Rubens.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

• Locked thread