Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Any ideas on how to run air to 10 separate airbrushes at once?

So I'm getting pulled into supporting a possible airbrush class at my local maker space. The space has a construction site compressor we could use, though it would be in another room due to noise.

If I could just set the compressor's regulator to a good working pressure and run them all off a splitter manifold, it would be great. But I'm worried about the varying air demand causing pressure fluctuations. I could run the compressor higher and put a regulator at each station, but then they could be mucked with. The space is also reluctant to buy airbrush regulators when they have such limited utility.

They also want multiple colors, which would mean teaching brush cleaning. That would probably be best taught one on one, which would take time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So something like this would be good for basic airbrushing of base layers and stuff?

http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/BAD2503-Badger-Basic-Spray-Gun-Set-w-Propel-Single-Action-Bottom/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, although it's probably overkill even at that. You won't regret getting it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Forums Terrorist posted:

I picked up the Italieri 1/72nd Nighthawk earlier today. It'll be my first plane, are there any tips I should know before I start?

Unless you have some odd kit, you will want to paint it black. Don't, though. Make sure your black is softened with another color, and it will look better for it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

COOL CORN posted:

So something like this would be good for basic airbrushing of base layers and stuff?

http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/BAD2503-Badger-Basic-Spray-Gun-Set-w-Propel-Single-Action-Bottom/

Yeah, seems like a decent kit. Even if you upgrade to a better airbrush later, this seems like you could still use for quick priming.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

That's a bloody lovely tank. and also well done all all that photo etch work that would have driven me insane.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

big_g posted:

That's a bloody lovely tank. and also well done all all that photo etch work that would have driven me insane.

The sixth level of hell is where they make you fold german tool-clamps for eternity.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Any ideas on how to run air to 10 separate airbrushes at once?

So I'm getting pulled into supporting a possible airbrush class at my local maker space. The space has a construction site compressor we could use, though it would be in another room due to noise.

If I could just set the compressor's regulator to a good working pressure and run them all off a splitter manifold, it would be great. But I'm worried about the varying air demand causing pressure fluctuations. I could run the compressor higher and put a regulator at each station, but then they could be mucked with. The space is also reluctant to buy airbrush regulators when they have such limited utility.

They also want multiple colors, which would mean teaching brush cleaning. That would probably be best taught one on one, which would take time.

You would have issues depending on the manifold size and layout, as pressure drop will occur after the first brush. If the manifold was designed for the job it'd work, but I doubt it was. The trick is providing enough volumetric flow for all ten brushes without pressure drop, which would require a weird regulator. The only way to be sure is to suck it and see! Just take a few brushes in and try them at once.

Is the space buying the airbrushes? A cheap regulator is going to be cheaper than the airbrush. You could also use regular industrial regulators and just get some adapters to fit airbrush line, though check that control in the 10 to 20 psi range is doable.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It would probably be better overall to get 5 good-quality compressors that can handle two airbrushes at once. At least then you don't need to worry to much about airflow, and when people are using them outside of class times they can be moved around as needed. Especially if someone wants to shoot enamels or lacquers, if you don't have good ventilation then a small portable compressor can be taken outside or at least to an open garage type space.

Anytime they run classes at places like Wonderfest, everyone gets their own airbrush and own compressor. They are paying for it though, and the students get to take the items home with them later, but still, even the experts at these things don't want to futz around with huge compressors and manifolds and all that.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Dr. Phildo posted:

It might be worth giving us the names you can find on the pieces and maybe take pics of the rest? I'm sure we can muddle our way through it!

Album

Badger 150-IL
Badger 100 xf (side feed by the looks of it, assuming the case goes with the brush)
Passche something I guess (I can't read handwriting that well, and on a curved shiny surface too)
Unknown airbrush compressor with regulator but it says made in italy, but the knob has 2 settings off and auto.

I've figured out how to plug it in and turn it on, but I'm unsure of the little intricacies of maintenance. I did manage to find guides on how to airbrush which is good.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Sanguine posted:

Is the space buying the airbrushes? A cheap regulator is going to be cheaper than the airbrush. You could also use regular industrial regulators and just get some adapters to fit airbrush line, though check that control in the 10 to 20 psi range is doable.

They're not; I'm involved because I have 15. Which is why they don't want to buy a bunch of regulators or other equipment they can't use on their own.

Not sure what they would think of the equipment group buy approach.

e: ^^^^

Chillyrabbit posted:

Album

Badger 150-IL
Badger 100 xf (side feed by the looks of it, assuming the case goes with the brush)
Passche something I guess (I can't read handwriting that well, and on a curved shiny surface too)
Unknown airbrush compressor with regulator but it says made in italy, but the knob has 2 settings off and auto.

I've figured out how to plug it in and turn it on, but I'm unsure of the little intricacies of maintenance. I did manage to find guides on how to airbrush which is good.
Looks like a Paasche VL. Both companies have scans of their old documentation available.
http://badgerairbrush.com/BADGER_100.asp
http://badgerairbrush.com/Badger_150.asp
http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/manuals-price-lists-msds-sheets/manuals/airbrushes/vl-vls-pl

The compressor might take some head scratching. It obviously wants lubricating oil, but as to what type, :shrug:

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 2, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TasogareNoKagi posted:

They're not; I'm involved because I have 15. Which is why they don't want to buy a bunch of regulators or other equipment they can't use on their own.

Not sure what they would think of the equipment group buy approach.

Bluntly put, it looks like you're giving them a bunch of free time from you and free use of your equipment so if they don't want to spend some money to buy supplemental equipment to go with the all free stuff you're already providing, gently caress them. If they don't want orphaned equipment, let them shell out for 15 airbrushes.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Midjack posted:

Bluntly put, it looks like you're giving them a bunch of free time from you and free use of your equipment so if they don't want to spend some money to buy supplemental equipment to go with the all free stuff you're already providing, gently caress them. If they don't want orphaned equipment, let them shell out for 15 airbrushes.

I typed up a couple of replies earlier today about the pros and cons of manifolds vs individual regulators, but ended up deleting them both because it just didn't seem like either way was a good way to go. Midjack pretty much hit the nail on the head on why.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

The Locator posted:

Great looking work! I'm always impressed with well done diorama's like that. They really add a lot to the model by putting it in context.

The one thing that jumped out at me in your photo's (that you didn't mention), but it could have been camera/lighting, is that in the view where you are looking at the front of the JPIV, the inside of the barrel looks very bright.

Thank you. I totally agree with the barrel. It's not just lighting. I used a turned aluminum barrel and I completely forgot to paint the inside of it. The first few mm's are bored and rifled and I just forgot to shoot paint in there. I didn't notice it till the pics either. I could probably grab a brush and fix it, but I'm on to other projects now and am calling that dio done. :)

big_g posted:

Thank you very much. My philosophy with each build is to try to learn something new - try a new technique or new skill. For that build, it was my first real go at a super detail photoetch set. It was a lot of work; those hatch springs are all hand wound from wire. It was a very rewarding project and I enjoyed it a lot, but at 11 weeks from cracking the box to calling it done, it was a bit too long of a project. Immediately after - actually while the groundwork was still drying for the dio - I built the Tamiya ISU-152 in entirety. It felt sooooooo good getting back to standard styrene after all that PE stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wtfbacon posted:

It was a very rewarding project and I enjoyed it a lot, but at 11 weeks from cracking the box to calling it done, it was a bit too long of a project.

Hahahaha... *snort*... *sobs uncontrollably*

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

Just think of each phase of boat building as it's own project!

:ohdear:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kibner posted:

Just think of each phase of boat building as it's own project!

Yep, pretty much. It's still a bit depressing from time to time to realize how long ago I started on the current boat and how far I still have to go. Working crazy hours and side-tracking onto the canoe isn't helping of course.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
On the other hand,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42773-huey-medevac-version-its-donefinished

The thread starts in 2010 but he's already got the cockpit done by then. He finishes on page 69, in 2014.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 2, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Even I'm not that patient. There is a guy on ModelShipWorld that started his ship over 20 years ago. He's scratch building a model of the German Battlecruiser Scharnhorst. In 1/72 scale. :stare:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Locator posted:

Even I'm not that patient. There is a guy on ModelShipWorld that started his ship over 20 years ago. He's scratch building a model of the German Battlecruiser Scharnhorst. In 1/72 scale. :stare:

Jesus Christ that's almost 11 feet long :psyduck:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

:goatdrugs:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jesus Christ that's almost 11 feet long :psyduck:

Some of the wood ship models are massive too. I read story not that long ago that some guy had completed a beast of a ship, and then had to dismantle it when he realized he couldn't get it out of his house to take it to it's display space.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Locator posted:

If there's one thing this thread has taught me, is that the craziness of some model builders knows no limits.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Picked up this Tamiya kit for the A10A Thunderbolt for £20, seeing as everything I've painted in the last couple of years has been cars. Got it all assembled today, after preconstructing the landing gear/cockpit/bombs etc:

A million bombs

Some Humbrol Matt Grey primer and filler in, and I'm ready to begin. Kit's rock solid compared to some of the lovely Revell kits I've built recently, but had a bit of a gap on top of the body and between the engine fittings.

Reckon I'm going with the desert style camo pattern, with yellow/black industrial striping on the engines, depending on how easy that is to mask off. No airbrush, but I have all the Liquitex acrylic colours under the sun available, plus some other bits and bats.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been working on the layout a bit these last few days as I FINALLY burn out after playing 5+ hours of Skylines every day since it came out. All the work I did was basically upkeep and fixes. Replacing windows that popped out, fixing stuff that bowed or warped, repairing or repainting this or that. Not very satisfying but at least I got a nice picture out of it all.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

The Locator posted:

Hahaha, indeed. I should've said "11 weeks was too long for me." God bless you guys that have the patience and perseverance to see a project through for years on end. If I'm not cracking a new kit's box every month or so, I start to go a little loopy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
This scale will probably take a while to finish:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ensign Expendable posted:

That was a good episode, it only took James May and the kids a day to build it though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not sure if that's a 1:1 plastic plane, or a reduced scale everything, people, hangar and all. I need something alive and moving for scale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pierzak posted:

I'm not sure if that's a 1:1 plastic plane, or a reduced scale everything, people, hangar and all. I need something alive and moving for scale.

Uh, look closer?

I don't think those are model people.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Uh, look closer?

I don't think those are model people.

I'd need at least 10x higher resolution to verify this, and I still wouldn't be certain. Scale modelers are sick :v:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Goldskull posted:

Picked up this Tamiya kit for the A10A Thunderbolt for £20, seeing as everything I've painted in the last couple of years has been cars. Got it all assembled today, after preconstructing the landing gear/cockpit/bombs etc:

A million bombs

Some Humbrol Matt Grey primer and filler in, and I'm ready to begin. Kit's rock solid compared to some of the lovely Revell kits I've built recently, but had a bit of a gap on top of the body and between the engine fittings.

Reckon I'm going with the desert style camo pattern, with yellow/black industrial striping on the engines, depending on how easy that is to mask off. No airbrush, but I have all the Liquitex acrylic colours under the sun available, plus some other bits and bats.

I've been thinking of picking up that A-10 model. It will be cool to see the pictures after you finish it.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I built the Revel one once, but never got round to finishing it off for some reason.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010

The finished article currently sitting in the RAF museum at Cosford. It's quite convincing from a distance.

Makes my 1:72 efforts look a bit tame in comparison!

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
James May is the only celebrity I know of who semi-actively promotes scale modelling to the public

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

ScottyWired posted:

James May is the only celebrity I know of who semi-actively promotes scale modelling to the public
Rod Stewart is an active model railroader, he's been in a few of the train magazines and it came up in a Rolling Stone interview. I suppose there's quite a few celebrity model railroaders, but not many scale modellers.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Got frustrated with a brand new X-Acto blade pulling masking tape off while masking a JU-87 canopy and went and grabbed one of my shaving razors. Never using an X-Acto knife again for fine masking. Astra Platinums; they can handle ridiculously small detail and the most steely of beards.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I just got a winter 1:48 Accurate Miniatures IL-2 model because it was cheap and IL-2s are boss. I wanted to make an action pose like it's strafing some tanks, but there is no pilot figure in the kit :(

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Dear Junkers,

In regards to the number of glass panes in the canopy of your JU-87D, gently caress you.

Your humble servant,

Sauer

First canopy I've tried to mask in ten years. I need to get better masking tape; it was a nightmare with the yellow frog tape; and none of it is properly lined up. There's some real nasty. Going closed canopy as the cockpit is practically not there and I'm not spending a bunch of cash on aftermarket for a $15 Airfix kit. Also probably going to sand off all those panel lines and rivets because nothing really fits properly and fixing it is going to obliterate large sections of raised lines.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015
Try a Ju-88 next time. :v:

Canopy masking is the number 1 thing that keeps me from doing more aircraft modeling. I'm terminally lazy at times and masking canopies makes me angry. In other news, here's a whole bunch of different techniques to try for masking. Anyone tried the liquid masking method where you cover the whole canopy in liquid mask then cut out the frames?