Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Sauer posted:

Question to bros with gravity feed brushes. How often do you lay your brush down forgetting its a gravity feed?

I've been using this loving brick off and on for about a decade now and it's been fine for simple tasks but does gravity feeds make a big difference? How much of a brick is that VL?

I get hard thinking about that Sotar but I can't spread that kinda dough around right now. It looks like that's both the most bang per buck and the on the lower end of the price range for higher end air brushes, am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been experimenting with thinning my airbrush paints using organic (NOT regular, it's too thick) olive oil. Really helps with tip dry .

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DiHK posted:

Hey I want this airbrush argument to continue for a few more pages so someone tell me just what "airbrush thinner" is and whether or not I can use tap water instead.

Well, the suit and the airbrush (and the air) are made of chemicals too, so you're pretty much hosed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Speaking of Hollismason's misinformation, at the airbrush demonstration I did last weekend I had more than one person trying to tell me that you couldn't use plain water to thin paints, and others being honestly surprised that I was using water to thin my paint.

We even had one guy trying to tell the guy I was working for (who's been spraying cars, motorcycles and helmets for longer than I've been alive) that based on his knowledge it's 'impossible' to use tap water to thin acrylic paints, because the binders separate and the paint becomes unusable. That conversation didn't end well.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yep most of the time I just use tap water, and I've never worried about ratios much either. Just blop in a bit more water with a brush till it sprays good

I'll only bust out the fancy stuff ( a huge bottle of IPA I got from a chemist) for metallics.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone remember the name of the cut price, bulk order style flock place that's just like woodland scenics only cheaper? I forgot to bookmark it the last time anyone linked it, and I'm in need of a certain type of grass :350:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Speaking of Hollismason's misinformation, at the airbrush demonstration I did last weekend I had more than one person trying to tell me that you couldn't use plain water to thin paints, and others being honestly surprised that I was using water to thin my paint.

We even had one guy trying to tell the guy I was working for (who's been spraying cars, motorcycles and helmets for longer than I've been alive) that based on his knowledge it's 'impossible' to use tap water to thin acrylic paints, because the binders separate and the paint becomes unusable. That conversation didn't end well.

I just did a little googling on that subject and I have seen many articles saying that it is possible to add too much water to acrylic paints as to make them break down, for example: http://painting.about.com/od/acrylicpaintingfaq/f/FAQthinacrylic.htm

So what's the real deal? Can something water soluable not get to a point where its been too diluted to work properly? (Prefer the non 'conversation didnt end well' version)

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

I just did a little googling on that subject and I have seen many articles saying that it is possible to add too much water to acrylic paints as to make them break down, for example: http://painting.about.com/od/acrylicpaintingfaq/f/FAQthinacrylic.htm

So what's the real deal? Can something water soluable not get to a point where its been too diluted to work properly? (Prefer the non 'conversation didnt end well' version)

Sort of. Acrylics essentially form a film. Too much water will absolutely weaken that film. They still work, but that film is going to be relatively fragile.

In miniature painting we kinda need to break some rules. We need really high contrast blends over incredibly small areas while not obscuring the sculpted detail. The best way to do that is using really thin layers, far in excess of the recommended no more than 50% water. As long as the pigment is ground fine enough and we're taking steps to mitigate the fragility i.e. future chat then this isn't a big problem.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

krushgroove posted:

My experience with Vallejo paints is, that if you thin them with water, they will seperate relatively quickly on the palette. They don't "become unusable", you just have to stir them briefly to get them reemulsified, but it's annoying, and maybe it's where that idea comes from. This issue is why I switched to Reaper paints, which don't do this. In my hands. YMMV.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 3, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

For what it's worth, I really like the way Reaper paints behave under heavy dilution as well.

I haven't to this point taken much advantage of that because I haven't had the patience to really put a lot of time into a display level piece yet, but that's one of my goals for this year/ next oath thread. 1 display piece a month.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm having serious issues with inconsistant coverage with them, but I think it may because I'm too impatient when shaking the bottle :effort:
It would be interesting to have a serious comparison between the brands for this kind of properties, because there really are differences beyond the placebo effect.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

You mean streakiness or transparency? Streaks are usually from too much paint on the brush, but it's going to happen to some extent regardless. Certain colors, I'm looking at you purple, are more prone to streaking, but as always the solution is more thinner layers and going back over transitions with a glaze of the previous color.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Mostly transparacy, which is why I think it's due to improper shaking.
Edit: Also I spent too much time thinking about painting in stead of painting.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 3, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
1) big_g holy poo poo those aero ships look great
2) Moola :h:

HardCoil posted:

[Counts-as Terminator]

Holy gently caress, the idea of a regular Marine punching things, people, creatures, vehicles, space ships, and extra dimensional beings just like a power fist is great. The model looks great, too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you actually want to use a organic and enviro-friendly product to clean your airbrush you can use Citrus Solvent.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
or piss

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Piss is already pre-thinned and you can vary the shade by controlling your water intake. Blood is also already thinned to the right consistency.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
well that's good because ive already been pissing on my models for that extra NURGLE feel

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Moola whose cereal did you piss in to get that avatar?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
more like whos gumbo did I piss in

lmao

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Freaky Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShtvCen6So

Has anyone used Testors Aluminium buffable metallic medium? Or any of their products , I've never bought anything from them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 3, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Moola posted:

or piss

Stores easily in old milk jugs or gatorade bottles if you have them. The downside is it can go bad over time so store it in the fridge or freezer when not using it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I ussually just store it in my gumbo pot tbh

yeah I keep it in the fridge so it keeps longer

all my food and drink now tastes of piss, but hey its a CHEAP way to flavor your food right?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Me practicing/learning two-brush-blending with shading: Oh, this isnt so bad, kinda just works, pretty easy.

Me practicing/learning two-brush-blending with highlights: gently caress THIS I VILL KILL EVERYONE IN ZE VORLD

I fixed it with some midtone glazes but seriously it's like a thousand times harder

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Me practicing/learning two-brush-blending with shading: Oh, this isnt so bad, kinda just works, pretty easy.

Me practicing/learning two-brush-blending with highlights: gently caress THIS I VILL KILL EVERYONE IN ZE VORLD

I fixed it with some midtone glazes but seriously it's like a thousand times harder

That's my exact experience with two brush blending as well.

I've been told to undercoat with the highlight colour and shade down to mid tone and then to shadow. That or just use glazes for the highlights.

Edit: check out this guy on youtube, really good painter and uses a lot of two brush blending.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Just saw this product up on kickstarter for cleaning up 3d printed objects. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1654851065/retouch3d-a-brand-new-way-to-finish-3d-prints/comments

Basically a sodering iron with adjustable heat and different heads. Seems like something that might work really well for cleaning up models - from removing thick gates on resin models to removing flash and even removing defects. Any one else think it might be a cool investment?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I think fresh piss would work as a cleaner, but mine's all juacked up with flushed sugar, any nice goons wanna send me a bottle or two?

I did really want an answer to this:

DiHK posted:

Does gravity feeds make a big difference? How much of a brick is that VL?

I get hard thinking about that Sotar but I can't spread that kinda dough around right now. It looks like that's both the most bang per buck and on the low end of the price range for high end air brushes, am I missing something?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Yes, gravity feeds make a big difference. I love my Sotar a lot. It's just a ridiculous precision instrument, and when it goes on sale at amazon for $80-$90 it's almost a criminally good deal.

That all said. I probably would have quit airbrushing if it was my first brush. It's not a forgiving brush, and only after a year did I have a good system in place for its finnicky nature. That's after airbrushing for a couple years before the sotar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's actually at 97 dollars right now with free shipping on Amazon.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 4, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

It's actually at 97 dollars right now with free shipping on Amazon.

I know, I can't justify it unless i get another gig or two this month. Then wife be damned, I've lusted after it for about 3 years now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd really suggest using one of those Amazon Trackers then. It looks like though there's a good stock left but with that price who knows.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's a good brush but a bad starter. If it's your first you definitely want more of a workhorse brush with a more general range rather than something that fine. Something like a Paasche Talon.

Actually TBH the best starter airbrush right now is probably a Veda. They're a (I think) Thai or Taiwanese company that makes knock offs of the Talon and H&S brushes and they are drat good for the price. The 180 and 130 are the ones you see on eBay and stuff, and they are both good, the 180 is a more Iwata/H&S styled brush while the 130 is more like a Paasche or Sparmax.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Something like a Paasche Talon.

I use the gravity feed version of this and its a really good brush.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sauer posted:

I use the gravity feed version of this and its a really good brush.

My friend once termed it "the AK47 of Airbrushes" which is probably a good idea of what it's capable of.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I use a paasch VL so not a noob, but I tend to stick to primer and base coats with it. I once expirimented with some nids with it. Wish I still had those, I liked how they turned out. P sure it was just the lighter browns and the first washes that were with the airbrush, purples and the dark brown was brush work.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 4, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Does anyone know of any decently priced "quiet" or sound suppressed air compressor, mines not super loud but it's loud enough and I'd like to get something with less noise but a good price.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Build a box, put compressor inside, and then fill everything around it with spray foam.

Bonus: Wrap the box in fur from your taxidermy animals, it will work even better. This is only a partial joke.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
In my mind hollismasons painting room looks like a crime scene from true detective.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

El Estrago Bonito posted:

My friend once termed it "the AK47 of Airbrushes" which is probably a good idea of what it's capable of.

I say this about the Badger Patriot all the time. That thing is a loving juggernaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone know of any decently priced "quiet" or sound suppressed air compressor, mines not super loud but it's loud enough and I'd like to get something with less noise but a good price.

The Ninja works and is quiet but they are oil-less, low PSI and burn out fast. If you have real money to spend then the SilentAire 20-A is loving great, but it's also not cheap.

Comedy Option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBm8XnIc2oU