Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

GutBomb posted:

I had a playseat before but I got married...

Why bitches always be hatin' on the cockpit? :( Jesus Mom they're not games they're simulations!

Are the Obutto setups worth waiting until the end of May for? I'm not married to any particular setup, I just don't want a wheelstand because my office chair is of the unsporting variety and securing my pedals with a bit of wood and duct tape probably isn't a viable long term solution.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Mine shipped too! I think this time around I'm gonna make or buy a stand as well...

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Unless it's a tv tray it should be fine. I shook the desk more with shifting than the wheel did with its force feedback. I used a flimsy Ikea deal before I got the wheel stand pro (which I use in front of the sofa now)

I had a playseat before but I got married...

It is a pretty flimsy thing with a glass top. At the very least, I'm sure I'll need a block to make it thick enough to grab.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Phuzun posted:

It is a pretty flimsy thing with a glass top. At the very least, I'm sure I'll need a block to make it thick enough to grab.
If its thicker then say 5 millimeters, the wheel will be fine, but the shifter will need a block about the size of a credit card and 20 millimeters thick.

I had the same problem but used an old n64 game... the curved edges made it lovely though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Had to cancel my order. Moving this month plus the cat needs her teeth cleaned. poo poo is pricey. I'll pick one up on Amazon here in the next few months.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I decided to hold off on a cockpit and gaming PC until the oculus rift hits the shelves in consumer form. In the meantime, I went out and spent $1400 on R/C cars and modifications. If any of you gamer types have thought about getting into the RC hobby, it seems like now is the best time it's ever been. Everything fits everything and electric setups are "cheap" and hilariously fast.

I got a 2wd Traxxas Slash VXL. When it takes off down the street, I giggle because it leaves like an 8 second drag car.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

jonathan posted:

I decided to hold off on a cockpit and gaming PC until the oculus rift hits the shelves in consumer form. In the meantime, I went out and spent $1400 on R/C cars and modifications. If any of you gamer types have thought about getting into the RC hobby, it seems like now is the best time it's ever been. Everything fits everything and electric setups are "cheap" and hilariously fast.

I got a 2wd Traxxas Slash VXL. When it takes off down the street, I giggle because it leaves like an 8 second drag car.

Dammit, stop making me want to spend money! I have a hard enough time saving up for a house, mountain bike, speaker cab components, and sim rig crap.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaseFace McGee posted:

Dammit, stop making me want to spend money! I have a hard enough time saving up for a house, mountain bike, speaker cab components, and sim rig crap.

Don't watch this then ?... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltJRCjM6T_A

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

:suspense:

In other news, Fanatec released an announcement saying they jacked up their European prices due to the exchange rate. I really like my Fanatec products, but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot in terms of growing their market share...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not a sim, but Dirt 3 updated on steam today to strip GFWL and give the DLC free to everyone. :toot: Didn't even realize there was an RS500.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Jehde posted:

Not a sim, but Dirt 3 updated on steam today to strip GFWL and give the DLC free to everyone. :toot: Didn't even realize there was an RS500.

This is awesome!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jehde posted:

loving finally.

Couldn't save in career mode before this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there a way to convert a PC-DVD version to Steam? I did something similar with GT Legends.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Is there a way to convert a PC-DVD version to Steam? I did something similar with GT Legends.

You should be able to activate the key on steam now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jehde posted:

You should be able to activate the key on steam now.

Excellent! I haven't played in a while and that windows live for games bullshit sucks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Anyone who has LFS should try the new test patch. The updated Westhill isn't a track anymore, it's a full on environment with support roads, kart tracks, giant car parks for hooning around, etc.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The LFS devs are cool as hell and also authorized a port of their version of Blackwood to AC: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/blackwood-reloaded.22792/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Messing around with AC the other night I was amazed at how realistic bumps in the road feel on the Thrustmaster TX. It's so far beyond anything on the console (GT/Forza) as far as giving real-world steering feel.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
How's the online community in Stock Car Extreme? Played some Race07 online with a friend and even though we suck, it was a poo poo ton of fun. Are there always some races going on or is it pretty dead?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
It seems to be mostly league stuff, so you'll hardly find anything in the off hours.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Ringo Star Get posted:

It seems to be mostly league stuff, so you'll hardly find anything in the off hours.

Well, Race07 doesn't have all that much either but there are a few servers with 10 or so people and one usually with 20-25. So if it's the same in Stock Car Extreme that's fine.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

pik_d posted:

Anyone who has LFS should try the new test patch. The updated Westhill isn't a track anymore, it's a full on environment with support roads, kart tracks, giant car parks for hooning around, etc.
This got me to dig out my wheel and play some more.

After going around BL and the new Westhill I have to say I still really, really love LFS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought a copy of Bob's track builder. I've started building maple valley from the Forza series. I'm going to export it from the builder, put it in blender and from there into AC. if it's as easy as it looks I'm going to try to do it with a bunch of tracks I miss from console games that I don't have anymore.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GutBomb posted:

I bought a copy of Bob's track builder. I've started building maple valley from the Forza series. I'm going to export it from the builder, put it in blender and from there into AC. if it's as easy as it looks I'm going to try to do it with a bunch of tracks I miss from console games that I don't have anymore.

You'd be a god if you pulled that off. Maple Valley and pretty much all Gran Turismo track are all I ever wanted in AC.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Trial mountain and autumn ring have been done already in case you didn't know. Not by me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Humble Sea Bass was trying to make Maple Valley but I don't know how far he got. Good luck.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

RIDE is pretty awesome and you should get it if you like racing and/or motorcycles.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 4, 2015

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

real_scud posted:

This got me to dig out my wheel and play some more.

After going around BL and the new Westhill I have to say I still really, really love LFS.

We should do some pickup races in LFS sometime. If someone pings me in #racinggoons and is all "HEY LETS JOIN THIS SERVER" I'm totally there.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just a Forza video but here is me in an 800hp Raptor that only sat in A class. I raced super clean but everyone hated me because as long as I didn't flip it in the corners it freight trained on the straights. Anyways in this vid an AE86 tried to push me off the road and spin me. And then karma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XQyn3e2x0

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Your video is private.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Hey gut bomb, in travelling now, but I fully exported maple valley and processed all the road meshes for ac. The only thing left to do is finish uv mapping nonroad textures and then using the cap ac editor to assign shaders. Hit me up and let's coordinate on irc. I think coja even drove it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I did, needs a lot of smoothing.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

I did, needs a lot of smoothing.
I processed the export only using blender, so no magical driving surface point cloud.

I've never used bobs track builder so I'm looking forward to seeing if I can add one with some mildly randomized variation.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have no idea if this will even work right, I've never done the AC side of things. Only used Bob's with rfactor and then converting to rfactor 2. If rfactor 2 is the best I can do, that's fine. I sold my Xbox 360 and the 360 compatible wheel and just want to drive on maple valley again.

Turn 10 has specifically said they won't allow any Forza tracks to be released for Sims do this will probably be just for me, but I'll gladly share with goons if I get something working.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

GutBomb posted:

I have no idea if this will even work right, I've never done the AC side of things. Only used Bob's with rfactor and then converting to rfactor 2. If rfactor 2 is the best I can do, that's fine. I sold my Xbox 360 and the 360 compatible wheel and just want to drive on maple valley again.

Turn 10 has specifically said they won't allow any Forza tracks to be released for Sims do this will probably be just for me, but I'll gladly share with goons if I get something working.

Get in the IRC, srsly. I have so much to show you.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What channel?

Edit: found it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 5, 2015

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I loving love Maple Valley.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hngggg. I Want.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Maple Valley is one of my favorite tracks in any racing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The sweeping right hand turn with crest when you run maple valley reverse. Which real life track has one of those ? Its an american track. Lots of green grass on the sides.

Maybe its Watkins glen ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 6, 2015

• Locked thread