Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Do you even need to ask?

In all seriousness, I imagine it's some bullshit about exclusivity or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Would anybody ever play real formats that cost actual money if cube was year-round?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Would anybody ever play real formats that cost actual money if cube was year-round?

Doesn't Cube cost actual money? At least until you go infinite?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Someone's playing Ephara. There's your problem.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

cams posted:

ever since i tried it with holiday cube it's been my favorite format i've ever played and i miss it whenever it goes away.

yes this is why they do it

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Procrastinator posted:

I imagine there's probably some sort of actual market research showing that people spend more when they are allowed to binge on Cube every X months than when they are just allowed to play it constantly.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I want powered cube back so badly. I need to get my fix of playing with Channel.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Compare it with Momir Basic - they're both formats where the big attraction is novelty value, but one is always available while the other is only up sporadically.

Needless to say, cube is more popular than 60 lands.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

qbert posted:

Would this be too powerful?

U
Instant

Draw a card. Fateseal 1.

This card is significantly worse than Serum Visions, since in the early turns especially you have no idea what your opponent wants but you know what you want and also because you get to look at one less card total.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

I imagine there's probably some sort of actual market research showing that people spend more when they are allowed to binge on Cube every X months than when they are just allowed to play it constantly.
It's a good decision, since it allows them to put up different cubes to some fanfare and keeps interest high so queues fire quickly.

People forget mtgo's pool of active players isn't actually that big. Queues that don't fire are extreme feelbads, blah blah, wotc on feelbads etc.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fateseal is also a kindof lovely mechanic in general because it works to prevent a game of magic from ever happening.

Also I want to join the confusing cantrip competition.
Sorcery, U
Scry 1. You may then Scry 1 again. If you do, draw a card. If you do not, draw a card, then Scry 1.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm not really seeing the point of the second two modes. They don't add much to the card.

The second option is at least good if you already know you want the top card of your library.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm really happy to of been wrong about the Dragons draft format. It's a lot of fun and less punishing than doing a Khans draft.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I still have two Khans packs online. Sell, open, draft? Hmmm.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

They're worthless so might as well draft

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I for one hope Pucatrade actually meets their goals so we can have MTGO trading for points.

That way I can draft and not feel bad when I open dollars.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I for one hope Pucatrade actually meets their goals so we can have MTGO trading for points.

That way I can draft and not feel bad when I open dollars.

Yeah this is actually a good thing, anyone got a link to their funding page?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
They hit it. Last stated ETA was spring but I'm sure it will take a bit longer.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

They funded successfully! I'm happy for the opposite reason, now I can do paper drafts and trade for mtgo cards

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wezlar posted:

They funded successfully! I'm happy for the opposite reason, now I can do paper drafts and trade for mtgo cards

Emerson Cod posted:

They hit it. Last stated ETA was spring but I'm sure it will take a bit longer.

:buddy:

This is the best news I've gotten all day!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Procrastinator posted:

McRib is back baby!!!!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The local meta at my LGS is Mono Red Aggro and GR ramp. That's basically every deck.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

The local meta at my LGS is Mono Red Aggro and GR ramp. That's basically every deck.

What are you playing?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What are you playing?

Temur Sarkhan. All four matches have been GRx. One Temur, 2 straight GR, one Jund with Kolaghan and Atarka.

We may have underestimated the popularity of big rear end dragons.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Temur Sarkhan. All four matches have been GRx. One Temur, 2 straight GR, one Jund with Kolaghan and Atarka.

We may have underestimated the popularity of big rear end dragons.

We did?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It will work out fine because the set is selling really well regardless of power level and there are going to be tons of copies of cards out there so even if I have to buy a bunch of mythics it won't be much at all and ill have a bunch of modern masters cards that are going to be as expensive or more by next fall as they will be sometime around june/july when i pick them up :confused:

I would be surprised if the average value of the cards in MMA2 goes down much.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 4, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I know this probably gets asked a lot, but in your goon opinions, what is the ugliest Forest and the ugliest Plains in Magic? I want to make my Mastery board states as obnoxious as possible.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm sure Wizards didn't, at least.

I don't think anybody underestimated it here but gently caress Magic dragons

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Four Score posted:

I know this probably gets asked a lot, but in your goon opinions, what is the ugliest Forest and the ugliest Plains in Magic? I want to make my Mastery board states as obnoxious as possible.

I am kind of into basic lands so I submit these:

Forest: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=46453
Plains: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=46439

Honestly some of the best ugly cards you can get are 7th or 8th edition white border. 8th Edition Mana Leak is one of the most visually distressing Magic cards in history

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just get sunfaded, white bordered revised lands. They look awful when paired with modern magic cards. Look like blobs of photocopied missing children ads off milk cartons.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think anybody underestimated it here but gently caress Magic dragons
I think Dragons is selling gangbusters, and we can probably look forward to a lot more "Big Dumb Casual Sets" in the future.

Which is fine by me, I don't have the money to spend on cards right now.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Four Score posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=40115
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1397

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Spiderdrake posted:

Just get sunfaded, white bordered revised lands. They look awful when paired with modern magic cards. Look like blobs of photocopied missing children ads off milk cartons.

Look at this guy and his wrong opinion on the greatest lands ever printed.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm really glad I won't have to buy a single card from Dragons to play standard, spend that money on Modern Masters, the set is just a stinker.

Limited changed a good bit though, and I think I like it more than KTK, FRF

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm kind tempted to dig through my box of old commons and garbage to pair them up, but the gatherer pictures demonstrate how absolutely lovely they look easily enough.

On related note, can someone explain to me why CFB will pay me $10 per Black Market? I mean other than just 'durr edh hurr'

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm really glad I won't have to buy a single card from Dragons to play standard, spend that money on Modern Masters, the set is just a stinker.
Report back in the fall how well this strategy worked for you.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm kind tempted to dig through my box of old commons and garbage to pair them up, but the gatherer pictures demonstrate how absolutely lovely they look easily enough.

On related note, can someone explain to me why CFB will pay me $10 per Black Market? I mean other than just 'durr edh hurr'

It's a neat casual combo card that recieved a huge boost in power level when they removed mana burn, and it's from a set with a relatively very small print run.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

It will work out fine because the set is selling really well regardless of power level and there are going to be tons of copies of cards out there so even if I have to buy a bunch of mythics it won't be much at all and ill have a bunch of modern masters cards that are going to be as expensive or more by next fall as they will be sometime around june/july when i pick them up :confused:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Thunderbreak Regent was awesome every time I cast him, as was Sarkhan.

Surrak was pretty mediocre though. Probably gonna try PW Xenagos in his slot.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Thunderbreak Regent was awesome every time I cast him, as was Sarkhan.

Surrak was pretty mediocre though. Probably gonna try PW Xenagos in his slot.

I'm glad you're exploring Temur while I can't.

I blame work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I'm glad you're exploring Temur while I can't.

I blame work.

Xenagos can probably ramp you to Atarka, while Surrak was just a generic 5/4 too often for my liking and especially weak against the control deck I played in the later round. Went 3-2 against a heavily GR field so not great not bad. It seems legit competitive, but maybe not tier 1 or anything.

Another guy there was running 4 Sarkhan Unbroken. I should have asked how that was working out.

• Locked thread