Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

He was fixing our floodednbasement forna few hours. He said he was done for the day so we rolled up. Got a knock on the door halfway through it and we figured it was our boy but it was him getting a few toolds he left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Great Beer posted:

Its 70 for 2gb in america with Verizon, with 10 bucks per gig after that. I have a grandfathered plan that's 60 for 2gb. :jerkbag:

Verizon - America's most expensive wireless carrier.

I'm on a grandfathered plan with T-Mobile, but it's $70/mo for unlimited voice, text, and 4G data, with 3 gigs of tethering included (though it's easy to get around that cap). Same plan now goes for $80/mo and includes 5 gigs of tethering, everything else is the same. They offer a speed-capped version for $70 now, but it maxes out at 8mbit.

tl;dr not switching plans

mariooncrack posted:

I take my tablet to the gym so I can watch TV while I am on the treadmill.

My gym has TVs built into the treadmills. :smuggo:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, but it windowed the block and while Dodge fixed it, they're also buying it back under the lemon law and giving him one that hasn't been used as a dealership boom box.

I thought they offered to buy it back without invoking the lemon law?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I gave up meat for Lent, and am seriously looking forward to eating meat on Sunday. I gave up everything and went full vegetarian, and I think it made my diet even shittier.

In other news, for those that are married, does managing both families and major holidays ever get easier? My wife's family got all pissy because they didn't want this one great aunt at the family Easter because she talks too much. Let's ignore that she's got an awesome handicap wheelchair van thing that makes it easier to cart my wife's grandmother (i.e. the matriarch and one that everyone wants to include) to the party. Oh no, she's too talkative, so let's be pissy about a chatty bitch and poo poo that happened twenty years ago.

In the midst of all this bullshit and a hectic week teaching, I somehow managed to invite my mom and stepdad but forget to invite my dad. When I called him tonight he said he couldn't come on short notice, but if I'd managed to call earlier in the week he could probably do it. He sounded a little disappointed (or drunk... or both) and now I'm irritated about it and ranting on the internet and feeling like poo poo.

Not a drop of beer or liquor in the house, and I still have lesson plans to finish because our admins want them due at midnight "so [we] can have our weekends to relax." gently caress you, I'd rather do them Sunday night, not Friday when I could be out doing something*.

*lol no because i'm also poor as gently caress.

Backchat: I have some poo poo going on with my lower back / hamstrings. Sometimes it feels like my right foot is underwater - it gets all tingly and poo poo. Hard to walk long distances or stand and so on. After a few months of dealing with this, I have a doc appointment next week to figure out what the hell is going on with it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

In other news, for those that are married, does managing both families and major holidays ever get easier? My wife's family got all pissy because they didn't want this one great aunt at the family Easter because she talks too much. Let's ignore that she's got an awesome handicap wheelchair van thing that makes it easier to cart my wife's grandmother (i.e. the matriarch and one that everyone wants to include) to the party. Oh no, she's too talkative, so let's be pissy about a chatty bitch and poo poo that happened twenty years ago.

It probably helps that both me and my wife are hermits that like keeping to ourselves and avoiding everyone, even extended family.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CommieGIR posted:

It probably helps that both me and my wife are hermits that like keeping to ourselves and avoiding everyone, even extended family.

This, but we moved across the country. Now we get to pick and choose which subset of family we want to see on a given holiday, and then just go along for the ride.

What I'm saying is, drop everything and move far away from your loved ones.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CharlesM posted:

The science of it is good, actually.

Ah. I must be thinking of- oh hell what was that other movie in space recently that stretched a couple of the laws of physics in the name of cinematics? I don't keep up with movies much.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Safety Dance posted:

This, but we moved across the country. Now we get to pick and choose which subset of family we want to see on a given holiday, and then just go along for the ride.

What I'm saying is, drop everything and move far away from your loved ones.

poo poo, I would if I didn't like this area so much. My brother had the right idea: Going to college far away (in Oklahoma) :v:

Best plan is to sit outside, gorge myself on deviled eggs, and tune everything else out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So last night I went ahead and threw an application at Pizza Hut. For a corporate owned store in a very well off area.

One of my old managers sent me a text today saying he saw my application pop up. :tinfoil: He's in a franchise store in a middle income area (a store I've worked before, though briefly, and it's pretty close to home).

He's someone I really liked working with - he's checking with his boss to see if he can hire me back. There's a little bit of bad blood between myself and his boss (area manager), so my hopes aren't too high, but I did put in my 2 weeks notice, and worked the entire 2 weeks. A "good" day at the store I'm at now is $35, while a lovely day at his store is $40 (good would be more like $75-100).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

some texas redneck posted:

A "good" day at the store I'm at now is $35, while a lovely day at his store is $40 (good would be more like $75-100).

Is that in tips? Does PH do the bullshit of paying you half your hourly rate while on delivery because you're expected to make up the difference in tips? I know Papa John's pays like 8.50 an hour, but when they go on delivery it drops to 4 bucks and they're expected to gain the difference in tips. I try to tip six or seven bucks at least when we order delivery to help compensate.

Protip: Tip your delivery drivers, folks.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My night will be :420:+Furious 7. Awe yiss

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tips, yeah.

This particular PH franchise does $7.25 (state minimum) while inside, $5.85 while on delivery, with $1 per delivery for fuel reimbursement. PJ's here does $7.25/$4.25 + $1.50, but I'm blackballed from ever working at a (corporate - which is 99% of the stores here) PJ's again.

I make $7.50 where I am now, no split wage poo poo, but no fuel reimbursement either.

I worked 9 hours today, and had $50 to show for it. That got me a tank of gas (I was pretty much on fumes), a bag of cat food, a couple of bean burritos, and some beer. The upside is I drive far less where I'm at now, but I rarely even break 10 deliveries here (my record so far is 18, my record at Pizza Hut was 40, my record at Papa John's was 52). Getting stiffed here also stings a hell of a lot more, since there's no fuel reimbursement.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

This. The only family we have come around is my wife's mother and one of our nephew comes by for holidays sometimes. We do what we want, have our own traditions and it's pretty awesome not having to try and please everybody. We have other family in the area but have pretty much disowned them :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Tusen Takk posted:

So I took your guys recommendation and checked out some shelters, and lo and behold, we found a Lab/Husky/German Shepherd mix. We're picking him up tomorrow after I get off work :3:

My brother and sister in law already got his little brother :D

Holy Fack thats a cute puppy! You must be stoked for tomorrow.

e: Stitch would be a good name for him ;) Hopefully hes not as destructive though, haha.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Woo, cold front! I have my window open to enjoy it, but the shutters are in front of it. The Dude is alternating between trying to figure out how to open them, and "oh poo poo a noise outside oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress WHAT DO I DO?!?".

Tusen Takk posted:

So I took your guys recommendation and checked out some shelters, and lo and behold, we found a Lab/Husky/German Shepherd mix. We're picking him up tomorrow after I get off work :3:

I don't know how I missed this post, but holy crap that's an adorable pup.

You know he's going to be lonely all by himself without any other dogs to play with, right? Right? :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 4, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fart Pipe posted:

Holy Fack thats a cute puppy! You must be stoked for tomorrow.

e: Stitch would be a good name for him ;) Hopefully hes not as destructive though, haha.

Aww that is a good name :3:

My wife wants to call him Samson since he's going to be big and strong and make her feel safe when I'm not home at night :3:

I'm super stoked because she's going to see how a shedding dog is nbd and it'll open the doors to me getting my irish wolfhound in a few years :getin:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah that dog is pro as gently caress.

Girlfriend is a couple of towns over visiting her sister so so I just got home from my friends place and I'm home alone drinking some mids level beer (8 bit pale ale, the gooniest beer)

I think we're going to try to buy a house this summer and my level of anxiety over this is pretty much: :ohdear:

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm super stoked because she's going to see how a shedding dog is nbd and it'll open the doors to me getting my irish wolfhound in a few years :getin:

Irish wolfhounds are p. cool but my ideal rich guy dog is a Komondor.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don't know how I missed this post, but holy crap that's an adorable pup.

You know he's going to be lonely all by himself without any other dogs to play with, right? Right? :v:

hahaha our primary goal is going to get him nice and socialized, so he's going to be spending lots of time with his brother, my parents dog, and my in laws two dogs

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Tusen Takk posted:

Wolfhound scmolfhound, you need either a Caucasian Mountain Dog or a Komondor.

E:

Previa_fun posted:

Irish wolfhounds are p. cool but my ideal rich guy dog is a Komondor.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I showed her the Komondor since they don't shed and she nearly threw up.

the Caucasian mountain dog would chew my pasty white arse up and spit it out:ohdear:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

but I'm blackballed from ever working at a (corporate - which is 99% of the stores here) PJ's again.

Umm.. how in the hell do you get blackballed from working as a pizza delivery guy?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Pizza Cabal

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

The Pizza Cabal

You upset the Godfather didn't you?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tusen Takk posted:

DOGGIE!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Tusen Takk posted:

I showed her the Komondor since they don't shed and she nearly threw up.

the Caucasian mountain dog would chew my pasty white arse up and spit it out:ohdear:

Puli's are like mini-komondors that are easier to maintain and train.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dannywilson posted:

Puli's are like mini-komondors that are easier to maintain and train.

I remember watching an AP show about Komondorok and it was like "yeah these dogs are incredibly ancient and also incredibly wild and tough to train"

I've read the same thing about most spitz type dogs as well as all of the Japanese dogs. I'm good with training dogs but I'm afraid my wife isn't so much

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

The Locator posted:

Umm.. how in the hell do you get blackballed from working as a pizza delivery guy?

Probably drove his car into a swimming pool.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

You have to get a Komondor solely for the fact that they look like giant, living mops :3:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I bought a used mechanical keyboard from SA Mart awhile ago (This was my first mistake). The seller warned me that it would be dirty but holy poo poo I didn't expect it to be that dirty. I finally finished cleaning it out and I'm typing on it now. Probably will be giving it to my girlfriend in a few days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Argued with the district manager about the legality of something he had us trying to do (actual door to door sales, which requires a permit in Dallas, and was told to ignore any "no soliciting" signs, which is also very illegal in Dallas - also asked us to do telemarketing on our own cell phones), told him to go gently caress himself and walked out.

His stores burn through their entire staff about every 3 months (6 if you count GMs). Wonder why?

e: I worked in corporate stores long enough that most of the GMs on the Dallas side of DFW know me at least by name, and also know I napalmed every bridge when I left. Corporate owned stores can't override a "not for rehire" flag without a district manager's approval anyway; franchise stores can, but are unlikely to. And I know of exactly two franchise stores on this side of DFW.

e2: funny thing is, they were begging me to become a GM at one point, and kept offering me underperforming stores to "turn around". Salaried at 28k/yr. :laffo: Granted, this was over 10 years ago, but 28k/year was laughable even 15 years ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 4, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Argued with the district manager about the legality of something he had us trying to do (actual door to door sales, which requires a permit in Dallas, and was told to ignore any "no soliciting" signs, which is also very illegal in Dallas - also asked us to do telemarketing on our own cell phones), told him to go gently caress himself and walked out.

No no, this sounds right. Good on you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

You upset the Godfather didn't you?

:golfclap:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: oh god. cat jumped in lap. cat farted while petting him. my nose hairs curled up, ran outside, doused themselves in gasoline, dropped a match, erected a diving platform over the WHATTHEFUCKISTHATSMELL (wtfits from now on) pool, attached to the wtfits tree, then jumped from the wtfits tree, hitting every branch on the way down, bounced off of the wtfits diving board, and fell into the wtfits pool, then climbed out and jumped in front of a train, derailing it and killing everyone aboard. cat is now staring at me with a "bitch, I smell your farts all the time, shut the gently caress up" look. That seriously smelled as bad as death. :stonklol:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 4, 2015

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I spent my whole day off on my back covered in ATF, but I got my p71 working again. The transmission went out two days after I bought it, so I bought a transmission from a Towncar with 80k miles. I think there are some minor differences in the valve body between the p71 and the Towncar transmissions, but it bolted right up and drives fine. The Towncar transmission came with a 12" torque converter verses the stock 11.25" converter, but the flex plate had bolt holes for both. The computer seems happy with it regardless.

This thing is dead-nuts simple but I did find myself thinking 'What the gently caress, Ford?" a few times. Like why are both passenger side O2 sensors in the downpipe, while the driver side upstream sensor is in the manifold? And why are there hex head nuts welded to the frame where the cross member bolts up? I spent 15 minutes rounding them before I tried turning the bolt. It looks like a through-bolt and nut but isn't. Other than that, this thing is cake to work on compared to my e36 and even compared to my old Comanche.

e: I'm pretty proud of how I got the transmission in place. I can't get the car high enough to roll my transmission jack with the transmission on it into place. I had to drag and manhandle the transmission roughly into place on the ground, then wrestled the bellhousing up onto my floor jack. Then I strung a ratchet strap between the frame rails and under the tailshaft housing. I was able to suspend it high enough to get the transmission jack under it by jacking up the front and cinching up the ratchet strap. I guess you had to be there.

User Error fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 4, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I would think the Town Car transmission is setup for buttery smooth, clutchpack destroying shifts - even compared to the Crown Vic. The larger torque converter probably means more rotating mass (which I would think would dampen shifts a bit; I know every Town Car I've driven/ridden in shifts so smooth that you don't feel it unless you really stand on it), but beyond that I'm loving lost with automatics.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

I would think the Town Car transmission is setup for buttery smooth, clutchpack destroying shifts - even compared to the Crown Vic. The larger torque converter probably means more rotating mass (which I would think would dampen shifts a bit; I know every Town Car I've driven/ridden in shifts so smooth that you don't feel it unless you really stand on it), but beyond that I'm loving lost with automatics.

Yeah, I figure it's set up to shift slower. I'll probably J-mod it at some point but today I just wanted to get it running. The larger torque converter has a slightly lower stall. Automatics are still largely black boxes to me but I'm learning a bit as I go along.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

mariooncrack posted:

I bought a used mechanical keyboard from SA Mart awhile ago (This was my first mistake). The seller warned me that it would be dirty but holy poo poo I didn't expect it to be that dirty. I finally finished cleaning it out and I'm typing on it now. Probably will be giving it to my girlfriend in a few days.

Ughhh gross. Did the PO leave some snacks in there for you?

In car related news I'm getting totally nostalgic about my '94 Bonneville. I wrecked the transmission with one too many neutral drops, looking back on it I dun hosed up cause that was a great cruising around car. Gonna have to get me an SSEI one of these days.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 4, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Tusen Takk posted:

So I just saw a Focus RS in the wild with a manufacturer plate. I didn't know they were going to be sold here :getin:

Yes, they are, but I thought I had read that there was only one "production model" floating around in painter's tape blue and that it was at the New York auto show right now. What color was it?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
So, since selling the G, the Lancia, the Volvo bimoto and my Suzukis i have been without a project to wrench on. Three weeks ago i ordered a ls7 crate engine. Matching 6 speed gearbox and a pair of garret gt35s. Yesterday we found the perfect car to put it in.

I like teasing, so its british, classy and roomy. It is also not a jag.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

fjelltorsk posted:

So, since selling the G, the Lancia, the Volvo bimoto and my Suzukis i have been without a project to wrench on. Three weeks ago i ordered a ls7 crate engine. Matching 6 speed gearbox and a pair of garret gt35s. Yesterday we found the perfect car to put it in.

I like teasing, so its british, classy and roomy. It is also not a jag.

Are you loving serious?

Tell me there will be a build thread :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Don't you do work on buses? Tell me it's a bus.

• Locked thread