Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Asproigerosis posted:

Help I'm too simple minded to understand basic traffic ideas. My city of offensive grids is clogging at the excessive intersections :(

It looks like you only have one highway access point in that traffic circle. Thus everybody in the city funnels into that 6-lane road arterial causing congestion.

Try adding a few more access points to the highway "north" and "south" (from this perspective) of the existing one.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It looks like you only have one highway access point in that traffic circle. Thus everybody in the city funnels into that 6-lane road arterial causing congestion.

Try adding a few more access points to the highway "north" and "south" (from this perspective) of the existing one.

Yeah, if you look at the picture, people are funneling off that main road in a lot of different directions. Figure out the different places that traffic is going and give them all better ways to get there instead of one central round-about.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it's weird how people (including myself) have the idea to just have one main road coming from the highway, and have everything feed off that. In reality, we'd get annoyed at having to sit in a long line of traffic because our house was at the end of a long boulevard with 10 stoplights. We want a freeway exit much nearer our house. Maybe cause we figure we can shove all the sims leaving for work through our commercial sector or whatever. I know at least one simcity game in the past worked that way.

I totally designed my first stuff like that though. Then I realized that lots of connections to the freeway solved almost all of the problems.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
Playing that Alluvium map and I've never felt more like this game was actually designed as a map editing tool for the developers of GTA.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ok cutting out every other intersection has resulted in the traffic being within the grids instead of on the 6 lane.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 3, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
A cool mod would be to integrate day/night cycles and rush hour traffic

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Only thing I don't like so far are the tweets and that you have to make a circle of road to create a cul de sac.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I want to make dedicated bike lanes but I don't think there are bicycles in game

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Ok cutting out every other intersection has resulted in the traffic being within the grids instead of on the 6 lane.

I might just be guessing but is a lot of the traffic thats going back into your industry area bottom right donut trucks and whatnot? It looks like its causing quite the jam up in your roads. You may want to provide some kind of elevated road access to your commercial area for deliveries or get a cargo train station near the comm area that will keep away from your main 6 lane street.

If we could see a more zoomed out regular picture it might be easier to work out whats going on.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

wit posted:

The awful kludgy technique I used was to have only one station in my city actually connected to the outside line and opposite it another station on the internal circuit. Makes for some gently caress ugly traffic convoys scrambling across that tiny bit of road, but stops the eternal train jamming.
I don't think of it as outrageously kludgy myself, although I try to have it so the stations sit next to each other (I think you need the roads to be 10 ticks apart), knock up a couple of ped bridges between them.

I think of station as being the long distance terminal and the other being a suburban hub, which is quite a common thing in cities. Probably a good idea to make a bus interchange as well.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There's an interview on RPS that goes into their plans for the game a bit. They expected to sell 300.000 copies... lifetime, then sold as much in the first day. That has to be a party right there.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 4, 2015

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Hubis posted:

I have to say, I really liked Cities XL's model for offices. Heavy industry requires Office output to consume, so if you want to be more than a series of small production facilities you need an office district for all the headquarters.

You could honestly mod that by adding resources.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I know finding a parking space can be hard at times but this is getting ridiculous.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Doh004 posted:

I haven't played a game for five hours straight in a very long time. A+++ would buy again.

Same, this is super addictive.

GhostDog posted:

There's an interview on RPS that goes into their plans for the game a bit. They expected to sell 300.000 copies... lifetime, then sold as much in the first day. That has to be a party right there.

Here is the article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/03/mods-maxis-and-forward-motion-cities-skylines-interview/

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I love that article. "We're only 13 people, that's a lot of cake."

Also I don't mind Chirpy. If they had more variety it would be even better, but again, such a small team. Chirpy did have one of my favorite C:S moments--I turned off all services and watched the population abandon or get sick and die. Some cim chirped, "This. City. Sucks. Period" and I had to screenshot it since I loved that they included a failure chirp.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

I don't think of it as outrageously kludgy myself, although I try to have it so the stations sit next to each other (I think you need the roads to be 10 ticks apart), knock up a couple of ped bridges between them.

I think of station as being the long distance terminal and the other being a suburban hub, which is quite a common thing in cities. Probably a good idea to make a bus interchange as well.

That's probably the difference, my own was just thrown together without any dressing it up:

I might just try this, cheers Hume.

Speaking of lines, how do you all organise and colour your public transport routes? Do you bother? What I've currently settled on is numbering each main transit hub I make, then numbering destinations from it then adding an A (blue), B (green) or E (red) at the end depending on whether its clockwise/anticlockwise or an express route. So the if the third district/destination accessible from hub number two is an express then that's called 23e Main Street which is red. If I got this finickity about details in any other game I'd blow my brains out.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Works decently well, use highway offramp

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wit posted:

That's probably the difference, my own was just thrown together without any dressing it up:

Do something like this. Have are regional rail station and a special city feeder station that isn't connected to any actual roads, but does lead to your connected rail network. This lets your train of rail traffic basically continue uninterrupted forever as it transitions from regional to intracity rail.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Asproigerosis posted:

One thing I've found is that it's important to follow your traffic all the way down to where it starts and try to alleviate it there, rather than saying 'this road is congested, how do I fix it?'

In your case, you've reduced congestion in one place, but haven't fixed the fact that there's still few direct paths to the main traffic draw (which I am presuming is your industry).

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Asproigerosis posted:

You need more access points on the highway. I find that in the dense part of the city, you should have as many connections to the highway as there is room on the highway.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone else having problems with Steam cloud saves? When I do a cloud save on my desktop, it only sometimes shows up when I try to load on my laptop. Like, right now I just saved a game on my desktop, but when I went to load on my laptop, the most recent cloud save shown is two days ago. What gives?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
My game crashes going back to main menu. Odd, and can't figure out what causes it.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

wit posted:

Speaking of lines, how do you all organise and colour your public transport routes? Do you bother?

I would like to ask the same question but differently from you, how do you color your bus lines? I have a small city with a bunch of blue bus routes and it's confusing and I would love to know how to make them colored differently.

edit: while I'm asking questions, is there any downside to the infinite money setting? I just want to make a city with good roads from the start not wait/rebuild later once a bunch of stuff is already in place.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mr. nobody posted:

I would like to ask the same question but differently from you, how do you color your bus lines? I have a small city with a bunch of blue bus routes and it's confusing and I would love to know how to make them colored differently.
Select the public transport overlay from the upper left button (while you don't have a transport tool active). Click on a line, and the info box that pops up has a "change color" box.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Thank you! I looked hard while creating the line, not while managing it afterwards.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Poizen Jam posted:

My game crashes going back to main menu. Odd, and can't figure out what causes it.

Go to the Cities Skylines workshop, get it to list all the mods you're subscribed to, then sort by last updated. Try disabling (or unsubscribing) from any recently updated mods and see if that is the issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I had the 'crash on going to main menu' for a while when I zero mods, just lots.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Played mayor tonight!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

You can click on the seagulls and pin the camera to them and enjoy your city that way :toot:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

Hallikainen: We had a meeting about feedback for players. The team were talking about the newspapers in the old Sim City games. I wasn’t really a part of that meeting, I was just walking by and we were in an open office at that point. And I jumped into the conversation – (adopts exaggerated voice) “Think about it, we’re in the 21st century! Everyone talks online. How about we have this twitter feed, with a bird that’s sitting there on your screen. And maybe call it Chirps! And it could be a Chirper!”

That’s where it started. To be honest, I was so devastated that people hate the Chirp. I was so excited (laughs)! It was pretty much the only creative input I had in the game and everybody hated it. This proves that CEOs should have no input in games EVER.

But then again we decided that since there are two people who love Chirper, we will own it. I wrote on the Paradox forums that I was to blame, that it was all my fault., and that I’d decided it would stay. There was a huge uproar, people were saying “You don’t listen to feedback, you suck, you’re as bad as EA!”

And I thought, well now it’s definitely not going to go away. If I have something that I had input on, in the game, I’m going to stick with it. And now I have a Chirper t-shirt that says “Give me a chance”. But the designers are probably saying, “Let’s never listen to Mariina again.”

It was weird to see people being so passionate about this one bird in the game though. Nobody reads newspapers anymore – it had to be contemporary and I thought it was a really good idea! Maybe it’s overuse of hashtags. It’s like an idea of Twitter written by an old person. I never use Twitter – I have a Facebook page because when I joined the company the other guys forced me to join Facebook. I am really bad at social media though because I have nothing interesting to say. Just, “Here’s a picture of my horse. Look at it.” That’s about it.

So when I started to say, “let’s do this twitter feed with #mayorrocks or #mayorsucks'”, I thought that’s how people spoke on twitter. I thought that was cool!

:allears:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's honestly a cool idea, the fact I hate twitter/twitterspeech aside, it just needs WAY more variety. Modding can help with some of that, but some way for the AI to enable cims to tweet about their lovely transit waits or lovely traffic situations might be nice if it's at all possible.

The UI presentation could use a little help, but the most aggravating thing about it is seeing the same chirps about watering the plants over and over and over and the only occasionally useful information is like, where your garbage trucks or hearses might have missed a spot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that they could definitely add chirps for industry/commercial buildings not having workers/customers or goods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's interesting how all the little digs at simcity were Paradox's doing and she felt uncomfortable making fun of simcity/maxis. Also she can't understand how anyone plays by not just optimizing cash flow.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like Chirper, I just also think it needs more variety. Can only see the same two messages continually popping up over and over when I legalize weed before I start to glaze over.

quote:

The European buildings are one of those things. It’s not just cosmetic, it’s actually adding the wall-to-wall city blocks. You live in Manchester so you know how that looks – blocks that are all connected together. You can’t do that in the game at the moment but it’s something that we want to add.

Sounds cool.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I think you could save the chirper feed by having the cims (or certain ones maybe, ones you specify to follow?) have the ability to create them procedurally on the fly. It's the fact that they use the same words that makes them dull, have your cims actually construct simple sentences from fragments depending on what is currently pissing them off or making them happy and have the ability for filtering and you'd probably not mind since they'd always be new. Personality traits that mix things up could produce some comedy. However that's a lot more programming and busywork that isn't necessary so ... actually don't even know if that's possible. I've got mine set to not auto-open and pretty much ignore it most of the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The real problem with the chirper is that it's not a ticker or even little transient self-fading toasts.

Tambaloneus posted:

I think you could save the chirper feed by having the cims (or certain ones maybe, ones you specify to follow?) have the ability to create them procedurally on the fly. It's the fact that they use the same words that makes them dull, have your cims actually construct simple sentences from fragments depending on what is currently pissing them off or making them happy and have the ability for filtering and you'd probably not mind since they'd always be new. Personality traits that mix things up could produce some comedy. However that's a lot more programming and busywork that isn't necessary so ... actually don't even know if that's possible. I've got mine set to not auto-open and pretty much ignore it most of the time.

There's probably open conversation frameworks that they could hijack to do this, to be honest.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

The real problem with the chirper is that it's not a ticker or even little transient self-fading toasts.

Yeah I wouldn't even really mind the repetitive nature of it if I didn't have to click x on every single message (and the x's aren't all lined up either!).

wit
Jul 26, 2011

MikeJF posted:

There's probably open conversation frameworks that they could hijack to do this, to be honest.
I was actually thinking about this a lot and rummaging in the managers for the chirps (there really isn't a lot of triggers for the pertinent ones and the rest seem to come from a random pool) because I'm one of the two people that love chirpy. It doesn't seem impossible to add alice chatbot usability with some aiml and have it "be" whoever just chirped so you could talk back to and interrogate the citizen about their lives. This isn't the mod thread but would anybody even be interested in that? Or am I a lonely dude like bob belcher who wants to talk back to all my little toys and do all their voices?

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Here's Albury-Wodonga, didn't get ALL the anabranches and tiny lagoons, but got the major ones. Go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

It's interesting how all the little digs at simcity were Paradox's doing and she felt uncomfortable making fun of simcity/maxis. Also she can't understand how anyone plays by not just optimizing cash flow.

My favorite bit is how she genuinely, actually thought that this was how people tweeted. She seems like a cool person.