Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Is Walker Photoshopped in there? He seems especially out of place on the 3rd one.

That's just because he's surrounded by people who work for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Is Walker Photoshopped in there? He seems especially out of place on the 3rd one.

Nah, they just greyed everyone else out a bit to highlight him as the subject of the image.

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's just because he's surrounded by people who work for a living.

but this is a better answer

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Palin cleans up well, at least. And did have some media training

these people would be the equivalent of just grabbing some rando from walmart

That is sooo late eighties.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FCKGW posted:

Jesus, 1100 seems like a tiny school district. Hell, our local High School has around 4500 kids and that's just one High School in one city. Our entire school district is 53,407 kids and that only makes us the 9th largest in the state.

To supplement what Joe already said, I grew up in one of the least populated, poorest parts of the state. My high school, which straddled the line between private and public in ways too complicated to be bothered with (and not germane to the discussion anyway), had I dunno, four - five hundred total students when I was there? My class, which was considered large, came in with about 120 (down to just under a hundred by time of graduation due to people moving and/or dropping out).

The state is very much overdue to consolidate the smaller districts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "In our generation, there is no shortage of modern-day Pharaohs who seek to destroy freedom-loving people everywhere. But by standing together, we will prevail." ~ Ted Cruz.

Hmmmmmmm, who could he mean? :iiam:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "In our generation, there is no shortage of modern-day Pharaohs who seek to destroy freedom-loving people everywhere. But by standing together, we will prevail." ~ Ted Cruz.

So Cruz is straight-up comparing himself to Moses now? Talk about ego.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

site posted:

What's wrong with enjoying cake? Did you guys not have childhoods or were they just really rocky?

There are better sugar breads then dry as gently caress grocery store cake with colored sugar lumps disguised as frosting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

I have a weird love of these stock photo twitter graphics the campaigns use.

Is he firing that woman in the second picture? Also it looks like the guy a hard hat to the left of Walker in the third one has an Obama sticker on his hat.

DaveWoo posted:

So Cruz is straight-up comparing himself to Moses now? Talk about ego.

No, comparing himself to Moses would actually a play of humility. Moses tried 5 times to have god choose someone else to go tell the Pharaoh to let the Hebrews go, but god insisted. Just as I'm sure Cruz had to be convinced that he was the man to save America as the instrument of God.

badatom
Dec 10, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Palin cleans up well, at least. And did have some media training

these people would be the equivalent of just grabbing some rando from walmart

Doctor Butts posted:

That is sooo late eighties.

That picture just makes me think of April O'Neil from TMNT...

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The "gifts" though are to the independent guy who started the gofundme, not to the pizza place people. They will receive the so far $700k as a gift, but only the first $14k would be exempted.

So the dude who ran the gofundme probably won't have to pay any taxes, but if he actually gives it to the pizza place people they'll have to pay a bunch.

Actually they're non-deductible personal gifts which are exempt from income taxation of the recipient (pizza people) because of IRC Sec. 102. The donors can't claim the gifts as a deduction on their taxes, because it's not to a charity with Sec. 501 registration. They $14,000 limit applies to the gift tax, which is paid by the donor, not the recipient. If a donor (and their spouse) gave $14,000 ($28,000 married), the next dollar would be subject to gift tax. I'm guessing no one gave more than a few grand to the gofundme so that's not an issue.

The tricky thing is how the "organizer" is treated. Presumably he'd be fine as the recipient of a gift, but then the aggregated gifts would trigger gift tax, because they exceed $14,000 (or $28,000). He probably should have set up a trust and made himself trustee and the pizza place owners the beneficiaries, or set up a charitable entity (which would be far harder).

So it's the other way around, the pizza people get a bunch of tax free cash, likely net of whatever gift tax the organizer has to pay.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gyges posted:

No, comparing himself to Moses would actually a play of humility. Moses tried 5 times to have god choose someone else to go tell the Pharaoh to let the Hebrews go, but god insisted. Just as I'm sure Cruz had to be convinced that he was the man to save America as the instrument of God.

Ted_Cruz_with_halo.jpg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I so want to open a pizza resteraunt claim I'm being descriminated against for not serving gays to rake in that sweeet cash. ( To be donated to LGBT groups of course)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, they're not going to win this fight. At the end of the day, no matter how much spite cash they rake in from this, they're still going to be known from here on out as the owners of that bigoted Indiana pizza joint that refuses to serve gay weddings. And from what we've seen take place nationwide over the past week, America's patience for that kind of nonsense is finally, thankfully, starting to wear thin.

Sell the location and move to the deep south, buy a nice house, cash, and reopen in some whitebread bible-thumping shithole town and advertise how you had been forced to close and relocate due to liberals persecuting your religion.

I'm good with money and if I had what's likely going to be a million+ windfall (lets say 700k after taxes) that's a nice house, car, any and all debt paid off, and I'd still have several hundred thousand dollars left over (closer to half a million since a nice house for 150k is pretty doable in a lot of places). Plus she'd have any money from selling the Indiana location.

Or spend some of the money renaming and rebranding the place she has, and in a year or less most people won't even realize it's the same location and she'll be hundreds of thousands of dollars richer.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

site posted:

What's wrong with enjoying cake? Did you guys not have childhoods or were they just really rocky?

I agree here. One of the best things about working out a lot is that you can regularly binge on stupid junk foods.

I can totally see the argument that the guy's got lousy taste in cake, but lots of people like crappy comfort food of some sort or another, and as long as you like it that's the only important part.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Joementum posted:

Welp, I look forward to Cruz 2056 after his 40 years of wandering.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sell the location and move to the deep south, buy a nice house, cash, and reopen in some whitebread bible-thumping shithole town and advertise how you had been forced to close and relocate due to liberals persecuting your religion.

I'm good with money and if I had what's likely going to be a million+ windfall (lets say 700k after taxes) that's a nice house, car, any and all debt paid off, and I'd still have several hundred thousand dollars left over (closer to half a million since a nice house for 150k is pretty doable in a lot of places). Plus she'd have any money from selling the Indiana location.

Or spend some of the money renaming and rebranding the place she has, and in a year or less most people won't even realize it's the same location and she'll be hundreds of thousands of dollars richer.

You are talking as if people are reasonable when it comes to suddenly having a ton of money.

The Atlantic did a story on all the ways people have found to mess up winning the lottery and ending up much worse off than when they started

I think there was a radio documentary on it too, probably This American Life. You think you'll be smart with it, but as another poster said, if you haven't ever had a million dollars in a bank account it looks like infinity dollars and you act as if it is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Stereotype posted:

You are talking as if people are reasonable when it comes to suddenly having a ton of money.

The Atlantic did a story on all the ways people have found to mess up winning the lottery and ending up much worse off than when they started

I think there was a radio documentary on it too, probably This American Life. You think you'll be smart with it, but as another poster said, if you haven't ever had a million dollars in a bank account it looks like infinity dollars and you act as if it is.
I swear a huge number of lottery winners end up dying not long afterwards. It's something I see a few times a year.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Anyone who regularly buys lottery tickets probably doesn't have a great understanding of personal finance to begin with.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

baw posted:

Anyone who regularly buys lottery tickets probably doesn't have a great understanding of personal finance to begin with.

$2 a week for an infinitesimally small chance of winning millions of dollars seems like not that bad of an idea unless you're literally starving. I spend way more money on way stupider poo poo (like Las Vegas strip drink prices). It's the people that spend like $100 a week as though it's going to increase their odds by any appreciable amount that have issues.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

$2 a week for an infinitesimally small chance of winning millions of dollars seems like not that bad of an idea unless you're literally starving. I spend way more money on way stupider poo poo (like Las Vegas strip drink prices). It's the people that spend like $100 a week as though it's going to increase their odds by any appreciable amount that have issues.

Yeah, much as "the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math" gets thrown around, it's a cheap little thrill and money is non-linear. If you're dropping large amounts of money on tickets regularly that's a problem, but if you're comparing buying $5 of lottery tickets vs. $5 of drink now and then the thrill might be about the same, the risk is lower, and the potential reward higher.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yep, even Dave Ramsey suggests blowing a buck a week on a ticket. That's the cost of like one pint of beer a month.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

baw posted:

On the other hand, Jack Whittaker was a self-made multi-millionaire and he had one of the more noteworthy post-lottery implosions.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

This is a picture of the cake Tom Cotton's wife bought Wednesday.

He says he's going to finish it tonight.

Who the gently caress just eats white cake?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Aliquid posted:

Yep, even Dave Ramsey suggests blowing a buck a week on a ticket. That's the cost of like one pint of beer a month.

Yeah, there's a difference between "I buy a Powerball ticket once a week" and "I buy scratchers daily." I really didn't know until recently that some of those scratcher tickets are over $10 each.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The lottery paid for my undergrad so I've got about $24k in lotto tickets to go before I break even. I play now and then for kicks and to pay for some kid's tuition.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, much as "the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math" gets thrown around, it's a cheap little thrill and money is non-linear. If you're dropping large amounts of money on tickets regularly that's a problem, but if you're comparing buying $5 of lottery tickets vs. $5 of drink now and then the thrill might be about the same, the risk is lower, and the potential reward higher.

People who shouldn't be blowing their money on poo poo like the lottery is a problem though. Who can say they haven't seen someone standing at a convenience store counter buying scratch off after scratch off, while their several kids sit outside in a rough idling beater?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ATTN home buyers: Richard Nixon's San Clemente estate, the "Western White House" is on the market again.

Just in case you've got $75m lying around.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

That's not how Passover works, Ted

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

Who the gently caress just eats white cake?

That cake looks tasty.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Donations just closed, bringing the final total to $842,387 for Memories Pizza, which they'll need to buy the extra pizza ovens required to cater the surge of pizza-themed gay weddings in the St. Joseph County region.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DemeaninDemon posted:

That cake looks tasty.

It's so loaded with sugar that it makes my stomach hurt just looking at it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The bad thing about the lottery is it is also a funding mechanism for states so schools and other programs are funded by ticket sales largely purchased by the poor turning it into another regressive tax covering the fact that corporations and the wealthy don't pay their share.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

People who shouldn't be blowing their money on poo poo like the lottery is a problem though. Who can say they haven't seen someone standing at a convenience store counter buying scratch off after scratch off, while their several kids sit outside in a rough idling beater?

What other small luxuries are undeserving of the poor? Lobster?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I generally treat the rare scratchoff purchase as a one time donation to the state :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's still weird to me that lobster is even a luxury in most of the country.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Killer robot posted:

I agree here. One of the best things about working out a lot is that you can regularly binge on stupid junk foods.

I can totally see the argument that the guy's got lousy taste in cake, but lots of people like crappy comfort food of some sort or another, and as long as you like it that's the only important part.

Yeah my normal meals on a weekend where I bike 50-60 miles on Saturday and Sunday are a huge cinnamon roll and bacon+cheese kolache for breakfast, two giant pieces of NJ style pizza or chinese for lunch, and something similarly awful for dinner + a few drinks. And I still managed to lose 110 lbs.

The only thing I can fault the guy for is for not having them write "Happy Un-birthday!" on the cakes. Even the grocery store cake is explainable because sometimes you don't want what is good but you want what you grew up with.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The bad thing about the lottery is it is also a funding mechanism for states so schools and other programs are funded by ticket sales largely purchased by the poor turning it into another regressive tax covering the fact that corporations and the wealthy don't pay their share.

And the various legislatures cut the hell out of higher ed funding citing the lottery scholarships as an excuse, leaving everyone worse off.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Crain posted:

That's 25 years worth of income for my lovely academic science career.

Yeah, I couldn't hope to clear that amount of money in my life. People making GBS threads on the the value of that money becuase they earn a lot have no loving idea how much money that is. Like, god drat.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pohl posted:

Yeah, I couldn't hope to clear that amount of money in my life. People making GBS threads on the the value of that money becuase they earn a lot have no loving idea how much money that is. Like, god drat.

Infinite dollars.

The concept sounds offensive, but it's demonstrably true. Wit and wisdom only last so long when your brain is dreaming up pools of (favorite thing here) to swim in.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's still weird to me that lobster is even a luxury in most of the country.

It's like grey poupon. It only costs a few bucks but if a poor person eats it then it's all the proof that someone with a yacht and a dancing horse needs that the poor are grifters who are living high off the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Infinite dollars.

The concept sounds offensive, but it's demonstrably true. Wit and wisdom only last so long when your brain is dreaming up pools of (favorite thing here) to swim in.

Yeah, no poo poo. But it is still infinite dollars. They will most likely blow it on hookers and blow, but that is a lot of money. I could be set for life and just chill with that money. I could fund my imaginary children with that money. Everyone would be happy. Imaginary child would be happy with his little silver spoon. The five year old would be happy because I promised him some orthodontics.

Everyone eat money to sustain yourserlfs!!11

• Locked thread