Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, some ornery folks in the board game thread today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man oh man is traglooper good, finally got a chance to bust out my copy last night. Ran through the first two scenarios, had a great time the second scenario seemed kind of lame, we effectively solved all the roles and incidents on the second loop but still ended up losing because the mastermind has too many "instantly end the loop" powers and they interact with each other in lovely ways. getting a single intrigue on the school meant losing because of the mastermind's OPL ability, which means that we had to use our forbid intrigue on that every turn along with moving the boy student out of the school to stop him from blocking forbid intrigue and then blowing our forbid movement on him every turn to keep the mastermind from moving him back in. that left a single turn where the mastermind could move him in with the right card and a good bluff. we thought about killing him in the hospital, but that needs a single intrigue and if that happens the mastermind can use his OPL ability to kill the protagonists too.

but yeah, top loving notch game, hope they translate the expansion soon

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crackbone posted:

Seriously? Your first post in this thread is to pimp your lame rear end unboxing livestream?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

To be fair, a video stream of some stranger opening a box of star wars miniatures is the problem with this generation. Also, I'm old and used to waste my time watching reruns of 3's Company and Golden Girls and it built character :corsair:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 4, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Unboxing and first play videos aren't very useful as a rule. If I'm going to watch something to get an idea of how the game works, I'm going to watch someone who is experienced with the game play it, or I'll watch Rahdo and check the annotations for rule mistakes.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Unboxing and first play videos aren't very useful as a rule. If I'm going to watch something to get an idea of how the game works, I'm going to watch someone who is experienced with the game play it, or I'll watch Rahdo and check the annotations for rule mistakes.

Looking to get a solid play of Camp Grizzly in as it has solo play as I fully agree purely watching a dude opening a box isn't fun. I'd like to see more board game interaction with twitch as I feel it's a solid way to ask game questions while things are occuring opposed to asking questions after the fact.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

taser rates posted:

What the gently caress

Inheritance plus Baron means all my estates are now barons and every turn I can buy at least two more estates/barons or an estate and a village. Also I can throw some villages to increase my estates per turn or even buy a province when I get village + 4xEstates. Play super-fast and try to drain the estates and villages and one other thing for a 3-pile before people get too many provinces.

How terrible is my Estate/Village engine idea?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It costs you 7 to set it running, which is pretty dear. And we're not sure what, if anything, triggers the removal of the tokens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
For the non-Australians and non-Brits, "dear" is slang for "expensive."

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

For tracking Dominion Actions, my preferred way is to have a tree. So I play Village, then the Smithy and Laboratory I play next are overlapping Village (covering the lower-left and lower-right quadrants). If I next play a Market, it would cover up the entire bottom half of Laboratory, since it's also only +1 action. You can always play N cards on a +N action card. For Throne Room and King's Court, we might put the copied card sideways (more room to hang cards from it), but often with those turns you have way more actions than you use and it doesn't matter.

We put Durations into play tapped, so the first thing you do on your turn is untap your durations and resolve their "upkeep" effects if any. This works well since I'm usually playing Dominion with Magic players or former players.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fungah! posted:

man oh man is traglooper good, finally got a chance to bust out my copy last night. Ran through the first two scenarios, had a great time the second scenario seemed kind of lame, we effectively solved all the roles and incidents on the second loop but still ended up losing because the mastermind has too many "instantly end the loop" powers and they interact with each other in lovely ways. getting a single intrigue on the school meant losing because of the mastermind's OPL ability, which means that we had to use our forbid intrigue on that every turn along with moving the boy student out of the school to stop him from blocking forbid intrigue and then blowing our forbid movement on him every turn to keep the mastermind from moving him back in. that left a single turn where the mastermind could move him in with the right card and a good bluff. we thought about killing him in the hospital, but that needs a single intrigue and if that happens the mastermind can use his OPL ability to kill the protagonists too.

but yeah, top loving notch game, hope they translate the expansion soon
An expansion will be released at Gencon 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWRYIWlu3k&t=563s

Zimeon posted:

It won't come as a surprise that it's actually a new Tragedy Set, with included scripts (because that's what an expansion means in the TL world). It also contains some things that were newly designed for this English expansion. It's richer than the typical Japanese expansion (which is just a booklet).

rchandra posted:

For tracking Dominion Actions, my preferred way is to have a tree. So I play Village, then the Smithy and Laboratory I play next are overlapping Village (covering the lower-left and lower-right quadrants). If I next play a Market, it would cover up the entire bottom half of Laboratory, since it's also only +1 action. You can always play N cards on a +N action card. For Throne Room and King's Court, we might put the copied card sideways (more room to hang cards from it), but often with those turns you have way more actions than you use and it doesn't matter.

We put Durations into play tapped, so the first thing you do on your turn is untap your durations and resolve their "upkeep" effects if any. This works well since I'm usually playing Dominion with Magic players or former players.

used to do this, then said "gently caress it" and started using the tokens. haven't looked back.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Are you referring to the tokens that come in the Seaside expansions or are there other ones that I should be aware of?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Impermanent posted:

Are you referring to the tokens that come in the Seaside expansions or are there other ones that I should be aware of?

The Embargo tokens, yeah.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

An expansion will be released at Gencon 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWRYIWlu3k&t=563s

oh poo poo yes. guess i've got something on my gencon list then

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I just finished my first game of Final Attack, and I really enjoyed it. In each round, I was messing up what I had planned to do in the previous impact phase, but I still managed to come through almost unscathed. I only ended up getting hit at the end of the last impact phase. I needed a barrier, but deactivated one system that I could have used, and overlooked the second because of its needs.

Before playing I was worried that shouting the final attack would be a letdown after the last impact phase, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

It was a blast, and I need to play with fewer events (I used 8) so that I have a reason to start buzzing incessantly. I also need to rope some of my friends into playing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

unpronounceable posted:

I just finished my first game of Final Attack, and I really enjoyed it. In each round, I was messing up what I had planned to do in the previous impact phase, but I still managed to come through almost unscathed. I only ended up getting hit at the end of the last impact phase. I needed a barrier, but deactivated one system that I could have used, and overlooked the second because of its needs.

Before playing I was worried that shouting the final attack would be a letdown after the last impact phase, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

It was a blast, and I need to play with fewer events (I used 8) so that I have a reason to start buzzing incessantly. I also need to rope some of my friends into playing.

The ending shout is actually something that comes across way better in practice than it does in theory. It's really hard to communicate how good it feels for your final successful act in the game to be interaction instead of resolution.

Remember, each Event you remove is also a discrete addition of another recurring Attack. The difficulty of the game curves from horizontal to vertical right around 6 events.

I should leak more demo content, just because.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

(It wasn't me)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is a vipers nest. Poor guy just wanted to open a box on the internet, is that so much to ask for?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Dude's been around since 2007. He should know that trying to pimp anything on this forum is a hazardous endeavor.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

(It wasn't me)

Someone sure did manage to take a potentially funny concept and make a completely unfunny joke out of it. Props.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Such total assholes in this thread sometimes, christ.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
On one hand maybe the the title was a little much. On the other hand the guy was just being a douche by shilling his stream in a thread he had zero presence in.

Harsh but fair, I say.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
This calls for a grudgematch of Talisman: No items, Druid only, Race to the Crown

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bubble-T posted:

This calls for a grudgematch of Talisman: No items, Druid only, Race to the Crown

All players commit suicide; no one wins.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Well just finished streaming Camp Grizzly. It was a great time, streamers had a ton of fun, very light-medium game. It drips with slasher theme very much so. Some hiccups with the rules, but nothing a decent FAQ can't resolve. Got to see all the major parts the game had to offer as we played two solo games with 2 counselors. I am honored someone would throw money at giving me a title, no matter what it is. I'd recommend though at buying a game such as Camp Grizzly instead of burning the money on titles for me. Going to run another stream of it tomorrow and have the viewers control some of the counselors. The game does have potential for screwing over others if you so chose to do it.

Mr.Trifecta fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 4, 2015

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Managed 23 points in Hanabi yesterday, with two other experience players and a newbie. Communication was fairly strictly limited, and despite one or two small slipups we did very well. At one point another player had four 1s in his hand, with every 1 already on the table, so that gained us a bunch of hints we could use. The only reason we didn't manage the full 25 was because one player was holding both yellow 4s, as well as the yellow 5 and the white 5, and we ran out of turns (some of those cards were near the bottom of the draw pile, too).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I think we managed 21 and 22 yesterday, and could have got to 23 the second time if I hadn't carefully re-organised my hand then forgotten I did so and discarded the yellow 5 by accident D:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

admanb posted:

All players commit suicide; no one wins.

I'd just build a dice throwing robot that chooses a direction at random. It seems like a great way to win by default.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chomp8645 posted:

On one hand maybe the the title was a little much. On the other hand the guy was just being a douche by shilling his stream in a thread he had zero presence in.

Harsh but fair, I say.

100% agree. BL talks about his game, but I don't mind that, he's fully engaged here as well. But to just drop in simply to shill is uncalled for, and I for one won't be watching this guy.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, gotta make sure you build up that cred with the internet forum board game posse before sharing things that are board game related.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Merauder posted:

Yeah, gotta make sure you build up that cred with the internet forum board game posse before sharing things that are board game related loving stupid.

ftfy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Merauder posted:

Yeah, gotta make sure you build up that cred with the internet forum board game posse before sharing things that are board game related.

It was an obvious shill, man. Also...

How appropriate.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Haha, yeah! Now somebody buy me plat out of spite!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lord Frisk posted:

Haha, yeah! Now somebody buy me plat out of spite!

I don't think that's how it works man.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

But... But...

Dammit

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

RIP JFK

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Stash nooooo what happened to you

E: *gazes in mirror*
*moves board game collection to top of bell tower*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, someone just bought Lowtax a copy of Twilight Imperium 3, with all the trimmings.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

just a few more and he can get campaign for north africa :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Instead of red text someone please buy me Clik Clak Lumberjack, Guilds and Adventures, Galaxy Trucker and Shadow Hunters. Tia.