Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I really, really hope this turns out to be an episodic series rather than a single-hit story. I'd love to see Wildbow write 'the Adventures of the Lambsbridge Gang' or whatever. And the web serial environment really lends itself to that better than it does to 2 megaword epics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
That does sound really good. I'd hope that wildbow is thinking more about possibly publishing eventually. A bunch of discrete cases would set up better for that.

I stopped reading pact about 3/4 of the way through because I just wasn't interested anymore. I've really loved 1.1-1.3 of twig so far though. It's fun to be excited for the next update again.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Okay, Twig has me hooked in a manner that Pact never did. Strange bio-punk mysteries, as solved by a bunch of engineered (and maybe slightly insane) super-children? Sign me the gently caress up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it so far. There's a lot to find out about the world, and a lot to find out about the characters, they're in peril and in difficulty, but it's reasonably clear what's happening to them and (as much as possible at this stage of a mystery) why, and they haven't been randomly fighting all the things yet. Good shout so far.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Twig is really good so far. I'm liking it a lot more than Pact. Pact's metaphysics making every conversation an exercise in finding misdirection and lies by omission was infuriating. This low power superhero team solving mad scientist mysteries thing is much more engaging. The protagonist seems as goal oriented and creative as Taylor, but far more amoral and far more of a victim.

I kind of dread finding out exactly what happens during these kid's appointments. I bet it's awful.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

On that note, Twig 1.5

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Yeah, I'm definitely more engaged in Twig than I was in Pact.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Neurosis posted:

I get disliking the ability, because it felt like the inferences she drew weren't from observation but plucked from thin air. I thought people were referring to the character herself.

They were plucked from thin air, in the sense that her power was pretty much interdimensional Google. Then again, it's not something terribly overpowered compared to other Thinkers, even when not counting Contessa and Number Man. Teacher could mass-produce weak Tattletales who would be completely loyal to him, Accord solved the problem of world hunger in the span of several hours, Dinah Alcott could predict future. Yes, her power was potentially plot-breaking and frequently served as a method to provide exposition to the readers, but given that a lot of enemies of the Undersiders also cheated, it didn't really seem really grating or unfair.

Wittgen posted:

Twig is really good so far. I'm liking it a lot more than Pact. Pact's metaphysics making every conversation an exercise in finding misdirection and lies by omission was infuriating. This low power superhero team solving mad scientist mysteries thing is much more engaging. The protagonist seems as goal oriented and creative as Taylor, but far more amoral and far more of a victim.

It's not that Blake wasn't creative, it's just that his only goal was to be left alone, so the author had to drop a pile of crises on him to force him to actually do something.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tattletale was basically Sherlock Holmes.

Her powers never really bugged me in the least.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this case is moving swiftly

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I wonder how this is going to play out. Also I found the bit with the board in the middle slightly confusing...

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I did too, but it looks like a deadlier version of the bucket of water on top of a door prank.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Caterpillar is a book worm. :doh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm really, really liking Twig. Maybe even more than I liked Worm, and Worm was amazing - come for the why-kids-join-gangs allegory, stay for the escalation, horror, and character growth / downward spiral.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow, latest update was loving great. i guess helen isn't even loving human?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Tollymain posted:

wow, latest update was loving great. i guess helen isn't even loving human?

No, apparently she's a terrifying assassin-beast inside a human-looking skin.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, at least she has a sense of humor

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I'm liking Twig a lot, but hopefully there's a little bit of downtime after this. It would be nice to see some of the group just interacting and adjusting to Mary, rather than having it be like Pact where they're constantly shifting from one crisis to another.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah; I'm desperately hoping Twig will be in an episodic format alternating between cases and downtime/school time/whatever is not just fighting all the time.

Pact got really tiring on that score; Wildbow really needs to trust that his writing is interesting enough when the action isn't happening as heavily.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Part of the problem is that text is not the best media for fight scenes. Visual media do it much more concisely and understandably, and that fact spoils us on textual fight scenes. Short action scenes are fine, and are good for tension, but the chapter-spanning fight scenes in Pact and Worm are just fighting against the medium. Twig is still young, but it looks like Wildbow might be starting to understand that.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Anybody else still keeping up with this? I'm enjoying it a lot so far; we still haven't gotten the downtime in the group that I'm hoping for, but so far this case has been a bit more low-key than the other two.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm reading it. It's pretty good so far.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Same. I liked Pact, but this has just been all-around more enjoyable so far. I think part of that is that even if we haven't gotten much 'proper' downtime, the uptime we have gotten is a lot less hectic than the-endless-crusade-of-Blake. I think the choice of main character was a good one. Sy's lack of combat skills and knack on manipulation forces the story to focus more on the interpersonal.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Same. I liked Pact, but this has just been all-around more enjoyable so far. I think part of that is that even if we haven't gotten much 'proper' downtime, the uptime we have gotten is a lot less hectic than the-endless-crusade-of-Blake. I think the choice of main character was a good one. Sy's lack of combat skills and knack on manipulation forces the story to focus more on the interpersonal.

Pretty much this. It feels like he's finally writing to his strengths, and occasionally stretching himself, rather than stretching himself with small breaks for what he's good at.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sy is basically a tiny Jack Slash.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is now a good time to jump on with Twig or does it still need a bit more time to get going? Not been a whole lot of talk over it like Pact and it's a little worrying.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Fans posted:

Is now a good time to jump on with Twig or does it still need a bit more time to get going? Not been a whole lot of talk over it like Pact and it's a little worrying.

I think Twig started out strong and has been consistently good.

It's Worm quality at least.

It just started the third arc, so there is a decent chunk out already. If you binge read this like I read Worm though, you will run out fast.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fans posted:

I liked pact a lot more when I read huge chunks of it. I even thought the last third was OK because I read it all at once. So I'm waiting to read twig until there's at least another month.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I have been reading Twig update to update. This is the first Wildbow story I've read this way. I was too late to the Worm party and I couldn't stand reading Pact that way. But Twig is great. The arcs are more episodic and focused feeling. The characters' powers are almost 100% being perceptive and clever, and it's a lot of fun to read.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Fans posted:

It's been going pretty consistently from the get go; I haven't been posting about it that much because I don't want to be constantly double or triple posting if nobody else says anything, but I'm really enjoying Twig a lot. You can at least read through the first two arcs and get a sense of wether or not you think it's hit its stride yet.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Wittgen posted:

I have been reading Twig update to update. This is the first Wildbow story I've read this way. I was too late to the Worm party and I couldn't stand reading Pact that way. But Twig is great. The arcs are more episodic and focused feeling. The characters' powers are almost 100% being perceptive and clever, and it's a lot of fun to read.

All of this is true, and on top of that, there are plenty of chapter that are more or less JUST character-building and world-building moments, as opposed to the %150 BALLS TO THE WALL ACTION of Pact (and later era Worm).

Twig is pretty solid; I'm enjoying seeing how it develops.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think part of the reason people haven't been talking about it as much is that it mostly would have been a procession of:

"I like this."
"Yes, I agree. It is good."

Also a lot of Pact talk was on speculation, and Twig seems to have a lot less to speculate on. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that the scope is very focused on the there-and-then. There's much less of the, "How is Magic? Why does happen? What are me?" that Pact had.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Pavlov posted:

I think part of the reason people haven't been talking about it as much is that it mostly would have been a procession of:

"I like this."
"Yes, I agree. It is good."

Yeah, I was pretty close to posting something in this vein last night after enjoying another chapter, but decided it wasn't worth the post. Twig has been pretty consistently great imo.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Could someone put up a link to the Pact epilogue? I can't find it on the Pact website or Wildbow's blog.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I think I'm the only person in the world who liked The Pact more than Worm. I couldn't make it through Worm. It made me feel claustrophobic. The complete lack of any real downtime, excessive fight scenes, and the way things kept getting worse and worse made me throw in the towel. I am fine with that in a shorter work. But in Worm it was just oppressive due to the length.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I also really enjoyed Pact. I just wonder did you miss the same general trend of panic spiral in Pact? I mean, Blake and Rose start running in the first arc and there isn't downtime again until the epilogue as I recall. I loved Worm for its setting, and Pact had hilarious dialogue (also less use of the word copacetic) and a manageable reading time, as you said.

Twig so far though is a real gem, there's no character in the main cast that I'm not interested in learning about, especially Helen.

Edit: Pact's epilogue, a bit delayed: https://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2015/03/07/epilogue/

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Twig so far though is a real gem, there's no character in the main cast that I'm not interested in learning about, especially Helen.

Would the gods be so kind that we get a Helen perspective chapter. I need to know what the inside of her head is like.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Jade Mage posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I also really enjoyed Pact. I just wonder did you miss the same general trend of panic spiral in Pact?

No, no, there was definitely a similar panic spiral in Pact. It grated on me there too, but it wasn't as bad for some reason. I got about halfway through Worm, and couldn't shake the feeling of "This is going to end with something stupid, like Taylor losing her powers or her memory" so I quit.

Twig is great so far though, yes.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Worm was quite a bit longer than Pact, so it may just have been that it had more time to wear you out. It's definitely a story that could use a good editor. I will say though that if you managed to get most of the way through it, it's probably worth getting to the ending. The last chapter was probably my favorite (not the epilogue though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Best Worm line near the ending for maximum irony in the context;

This was it. Finally, everyone was working together.

• Locked thread