Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Keep many weapons, and use any bombs or throwing knives you've got. The throwing knives two or three hit regular hollows.

Orv posted:

You need 4 Branches to get everything in there.

E: Nope. Nope nope nope nope. They added around ten extra spiders to the antechamber of the Tseldora temple. Leaving, never coming back.

Torches! Even then, I do suffer from arachnophobia as well, and the entire loving place is FULL with these assholes. The Pardoner has three around him as well, and they just chill out on the walls till you attack them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the new release doesn't work on cards that cant do dx11 right? Or is there a way to set it so it runs?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
You can sure get the black knight halberd early now. That's good to know.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is the matchmaking table on the wiki still accurate? I've been having a lot of fun helping people with the pursuer but I'm afraid i'll price myself out of the matchmaking market, so to speak, if I do it too much.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DarthJeebus posted:

Is the matchmaking table on the wiki still accurate? I've been having a lot of fun helping people with the pursuer but I'm afraid i'll price myself out of the matchmaking market, so to speak, if I do it too much.

If you make your first goal in the game getting to Straid he now sells a ring that stops you from picking up souls, letting you essentially "lock" your soul memory.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What do I need to do to increase shield damage reduction? I normally play shield-less light armor builds but chose a heavier armor build this run.. but it's not really going so well attrition-wise since even trash enemies can damage through my shield

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ethanol posted:

What do I need to do to increase shield damage reduction? I normally play shield-less light armor builds but chose a heavier armor build this run.. but it's not really going so well attrition-wise since even trash enemies can damage through my shield

Simply upgrading your shield helps with damage reduction.

Not all shields are equal, some are good at blocking physical attacks, others can reduce elemental damage and even allow you to parry spells, and there a couple that increase stamina regeneration when equipped.

EDIT: They also have varying levels of stability which determines how much stamina is drained per attack blocked.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Alkydere posted:

I'm assuming you're playing the new version since it's the shiny version? Long story short, no you're not loving up, it's the start of the game being made harder in ways that can really screw over new player.

The beginning of the game is incredibly punishing because you have to reach the second bonfire before you can really either expand your weapon collection to find something you like, or repair damaged (but not broken) weapons. Feel free to run past enemies to get to the next bonfire. As a new player I recommend that you don't bother fighting the hippo in the forest unless you're a sorcerer. Just sprint past him and try to get to the bonfire. Sitting and resting at it will reset your equipments durability and reset his position. In the next room, just slip carefully around the edge of the arena with the sleeping hollows and you'll be able to reach the fog door with only 3-4 fights. After that it's more or less a straight shot to the next bonfire and Hag Melentia. Melentia will have a few weapons for sale and, more importantly, the key to Leningrast's smithy back in Majula. Buy it, open up his smithy, sit at the bonfire to move the NPCs about and Leningrast will be sitting at the anvil. He'll have even more weapons for sale (I really, really recommend the spear if you're a new player: fast, light and the first strike of the heavy attack does blunt damage which tears through heavily armored dudes) and even more imporantly, he'll repair weapons that have gone fully broken.

Another important thing about Hag Melentia: once the first boss of Forest of the Fallen Giants is killed, and her dialog is fully exhausted (she'll say "It's about high time I moved on") she'll move to Majula where her supply of lifestones she sells becomes infinite.

Also another beginner tip would be to start as sorcerer. There's no shame in cheesing the game with ranged attacks if you're not a Souls savant.

Thanks for the tips. Made some progress and now I'm starting to get a feel for the game. It doesn't feel quite as unforgiving when I view bonfires as a durability reset. Been paying more attention to timing my attacks and I've levelled up a few times (points to ADP so far).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
jfc, seriously? :jerkbag:

somebody decided that the Shrine of Amana needed to be even more of a gaping rear end in a top hat?

I'm pretty pleased that I managed to get through all that crap without dying once, but those were some really close calls. And actually I'm not even all the way through it yet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

God drat the beginning of this game is loving brutal. I don't remember dying this much even in Demon's Souls import playing it completely cold.

Everywhere I go, swarms of infantry, while I have a poo poo weapon and lifebar.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Like I said previously, I found the trek to Cardinal Tower not a whole lot different than the original version of the game. If anything, it was easier because half the infantry guys in that open area before the fog are just laying on the ground and don't aggro until you get close. You can take them out before they even launch an attack. Are you guys playing as deprived or something?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

victrix posted:

God drat the beginning of this game is loving brutal. I don't remember dying this much even in Demon's Souls import playing it completely cold.

Everywhere I go, swarms of infantry, while I have a poo poo weapon and lifebar.

Yeah, FoFG took me a ridiculous amount of tries to get through; I kept getting swarmed and just running past enemies (to get to a boss or make a dash to a bonfire) is kind of really hard now with the gigantic aggro and chase range they have.

/edit: ^^^^^^ No, but I feel like I have less control on how I engage enemies than I did in the original DS2; approaching carefully to kite just one or two enemies off a group or shooting a few arrows to get someone's attention are really hard to pull off now, I poked my head around a corner in Bastille and 4 dudes came running from 2 rooms away and stunlocked me to oblivion.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 4, 2015

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Yeah, I dunno. I've cleared FoFG, Bastille, No Man's Wharf and Heide's Tower and don't feel like I'm getting swarmed any more or less than I did before. My deaths haven't come from swarms of enemies but new poo poo that I wasn't prepared for like the Pursuer in different spots and I just face pull pretty much everything.

Those guys in the FoFG before the first fog gate I picked off one by one because they just laid on the ground until I approached them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I feel like more enemies were removed than added, though there are some killers now. Sinner's rise bonfire is much nicer, no more dudes standing in the opening of the iron keep door, way fewer ohko fire ladies in earthen peak. gently caress armorer dennis though, I feel like dennis the menace's neighbor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ethanol posted:

Just get a shield that has 100% damage resist to begin with, like the drangleic shield, or most tower shields.

Located below where you fight the pursuer with the ballistas, at least that's where it was in DS2, I haven't played much of the remake yet

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Suggestions for best place (i.e gives access to the most useful thing at that point) to use your first fragrant branch of yore?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are the guys with beaks that seem to run out of nowhere really fast like bird ninjas a brand new enemy? I don't remember seeing them anywhere before and now I got a neat claw weapon from one.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What gamepad are you guys using? My Logitech F310 that worked fine for DS2 doesn't seem to work for the remastered edition at all. It doesn't respond to any inputs, but the controller is fine for everything else.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Reason posted:

Are the guys with beaks that seem to run out of nowhere really fast like bird ninjas a brand new enemy? I don't remember seeing them anywhere before and now I got a neat claw weapon from one.

They showed up in NG+ in the original. Scared the poo poo out of me when one came out of nowhere at me the first time.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

NeurosisHead posted:

What gamepad are you guys using? My Logitech F310 that worked fine for DS2 doesn't seem to work for the remastered edition at all. It doesn't respond to any inputs, but the controller is fine for everything else.

I'm using a DS3 emulating a 360 pad. Speaking of, do replacer mods work with the new release? I'm figuring not, but might as well ask.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I feel like more enemies were removed than added, though there are some killers now. Sinner's rise bonfire is much nicer, no more dudes standing in the opening of the iron keep door, way fewer ohko fire ladies in earthen peak. gently caress armorer dennis though, I feel like dennis the menace's neighbor.

Nah, I'd say more were added than removed, but for the most part they were added intelligently. Ambushes are set up so that you can usually see them coming, and if you don't you can still see how to defuse them on your second or third time. I've only seen one ambush I couldn't see or defuse (a pair of rear end in a top hat manekin claw wielders). That being said the ones they removed streamline areas pretty well. And some of the added ones are pretty loving funny such as a desert sorceress sitting at the very top of Earthen Peak on a balcony who'll bombard you innefectually.

Personally the repeating NPC invader I see the most often (some of their spawns are random) is loving Forlorn. Though in Iron Keep I got Forlorn, Dennis AND some fencer lady, two of them in a single life (though thankfully not at once).

Zaphod42 posted:

Just get a shield that has 100% damage resist to begin with, like the drangleic shield, or most tower shields.

Located below where you fight the pursuer with the ballistas, at least that's where it was in DS2, I haven't played much of the remake yet

Nah, they're still exactly where you remember them. For the most part items are either exactly where they were before, or are actually moved up so the player can access them earlier. I mean, you can get the Grand Lance as soon as you beat the Last Giant. The only exception is that some of the estus shards were moved back/made harder to find.

I'm just glad that the key to Ornifex's cell was on the exact same lion as before, because burning branches to find where it had moved would have sucked balls.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 4, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Djeser posted:

I'm using a DS3 emulating a 360 pad. Speaking of, do replacer mods work with the new release? I'm figuring not, but might as well ask.

I can't figure out what's missing for me. It's using the xbox360 controller for windows drivers, and on xinput. It works fine in half a dozen other games through Steam, including Dark Souls 2. It's just the remaster of DS2 that doesn't recognize the F310 as there. What the gently caress.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Personally the repeating NPC invader I see the most often (some of their spawns are random) is loving Forlorn. Though in Iron Keep I got Forlorn, Dennis AND some fencer lady, two of them in a single life (though thankfully not at once).

I'm pretty sure those other two are fixed at iron keep - dennis took me many tries and always was in the same spot, and there was one before him that I got on the first try.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Help how do I get good at pvp I'm using the heide knight sword and a rapier but I'm being destroyed in the bob arenas :qq:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Nah, they're still exactly where you remember them. For the most part items are either exactly where they were before, or are actually moved up so the player can access them earlier. I mean, you can get the Grand Lance as soon as you beat the Last Giant. The only exception is that some of the estus shards were moved back/made harder to find.

There's also an early washing pole in harvest valley.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

NeurosisHead posted:

I can't figure out what's missing for me. It's using the xbox360 controller for windows drivers, and on xinput. It works fine in half a dozen other games through Steam, including Dark Souls 2. It's just the remaster of DS2 that doesn't recognize the F310 as there. What the gently caress.

I noticed that there were a whole mess of HID Compliant Device entries that popped up in device manager when I plugged my controller in, so I just started disabling the ones with no drivers loaded and then it recognized the controller. I don't understand it, but if it works I'll take it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it just me, or can you no longer heal during dark spirit invasions (possibly only as a phantom?) Is this new?

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Is it just me, or can you no longer heal during dark spirit invasions (possibly only as a phantom?) Is this new?

That was a patch some time ago.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The Pursuers cast Pursuers now. Didn't play too far past killing about four of them in the Bastille but I think it's a clear improvement.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pursuer always casted Pursuers when he was powered up.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lucatiel wasn't in her usual spot in Earthen Peak, did she get moved or did I completely miss her somehow?

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

ShadowMar posted:

Lucatiel wasn't in her usual spot in Earthen Peak, did she get moved or did I completely miss her somehow?

She's been moved. She's now in the room with the Poisonbite Ring

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Ha! If you defeat Pursuer on the walls, he gets his own little vengeance squad of hollow soldiers that wake up as the fight ends!

Also, nice touch making some of the hollow soldiers attack the giant trees.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I read that the whole weapons breaking crazy fast is a carryover bug from DS2 because of the new framerate / graphical enhancements? Is that true? :wtf: if it is.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finally fought my way through the (first?) forest of giants area, got the fire longsword, killed the giant and Pursuer.

Get to the next area. Die to a new Pursuer immediately :downs:

That guy is a loving rear end in a top hat. Dodging towards him is easy, but his random triple swing fucks me every time, I don't know if there's a tell I'm missing for it or what, but it makes attacking on any single or double swing a huge risk. If I'm out of stamina when he does the triple -> dead.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

From what I had read FROM heard of the bug on Ds2-PC and they thought it sounded really badass and so they were looking to introduce it into future versions of the game.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

:stare: So uhh Heide's Tower of Flame huh. Jesus Christ the game should be called Dark Souls II: Scholar of Not loving Around Anymore.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Haruharuharuko posted:

:stare: So uhh Heide's Tower of Flame huh. Jesus Christ the game should be called Dark Souls II: Scholar of Not loving Around Anymore.

Yep that convinced me that I'll be able to get a real blind playthrough feeling again.

I was playing with a summoned dude when I turned that corner and wished for a long moment that I had some kind of bawl my eyes out/piss my pants emotes to convey my surprise and horror.

It wasn't even a boss. :cripes:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah this version has had me round so many corners and immediately turn around and leave saying "Nooope gently caress this!" so many more times than the original version. I dunno if I'd enjoy this all half as much if I hadn't have finished the original on PS3 and then on PC so many times.

Oh yeah just a little tip in Servant's Quarters look up :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Giant Lord Memory has way more dudes in, it's a true pitched battle.

Also you don't need to equip the King's Ring to reopen doors you have already opened, like the one in Drangleic.