Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

notorious bsd is often wrong about a lot of things (like static typing being relevant for producing correct code or whatever)

but he's right about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

compuserved posted:

what did you have to do specifically? looking to get a thinkpad soon and i'm wondering if i'll run into this

Most of what you want to know is here. The Linux kernel stuff is here, and if you want multi-stream transport (several monitors on the same Displayport, e.g. for a dock), you need to download this driver, compile it, and install it as /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so. If you do this while Xorg is already running, Xorg will crash, but that's OK.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Athas posted:

Xorg will crash, but that's OK.

yep

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
rdiff-backup is the best thing, I've been using it at work for basically everything and never had issues. It sifts through tons of data nightly. Plus, restoring things is super easy.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this rdiff-backup is a pretty cool thing

crude, but i don't always want fancy

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Trisquel has given me the freedom to not have a usable computer.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The only thing that scares me about rdiff-backup is that a small amount of data corruption in the "diff chain" can basically destroy all the incremental backups

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

babies havin rabies posted:

The only thing that scares me about rdiff-backup is that a small amount of data corruption in the "diff chain" can basically destroy all the incremental backups

that's why you should always be careful to back up your backups

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

that's why you should always be careful to back up your backups

how often should your cm do automated test restores from your backups?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

eschaton posted:

Depends, how many enterprises are they up to in star trek

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

i get that you are being facetious but this is a real problem.

test frameworks for configuration management are really being adopted in a big way. CM code is subject to unit and integration tests just like application code. for a given library/module/recipe in your cfg mgmt, you should have pretty good confidence that it works

orchestrating bigger things, like monthly restores of your backups, is a mostly-unsolved problem. i sure don't have a canned solution that will work everywhere. i think most people would trigger a workflow and then use their monitoring system to examine/report the result but idk.

my backups get tested manually by the ops team roughly once a year :smith:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

eschaton posted:

personally I don't actually bother with backups, I just programmed my cm to recreate all my data every morning when I rebuild the vms that I use to run linux on the desktop

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

ruby idiot railed posted:

Depends, how many enterprises are they up to in star trek

there was an enterprise j in an alternate future timeline so that's like 11

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

test frameworks for configuration management are really being adopted in a big way. CM code is subject to unit and integration tests just like application code. for a given library/module/recipe in your cfg mgmt, you should have pretty good confidence that it works

orchestrating bigger things, like monthly restores of your backups, is a mostly-unsolved problem. i sure don't have a canned solution that will work everywhere. i think most people would trigger a workflow and then use their monitoring system to examine/report the result but idk.

your workflows trigger me, lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol bsd is a backup janitor

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 11, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

periodically create some garbage somewhere and then delete it and ask them to restore an old version

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

periodically create some garbage somewhere and then delete it and ask them to restore an old version

:effort:

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

lol bsd is a backup janitor

It's good for some applications (I don't mean application in the software sense, I mean the literal english meaning of the word application), and honestly nothing can beat OpenBSD at some of those niches, but those niches are so small, so underused, and so... why.. that talking about BSD as if it's a primary OS is loving hilarious.

I mean I literally tried to run FreeBSD as my main coding OS, but it was terrible. Absolutely awful. I went back to Gentoo and soon found myself not shooting myself in the foot everytime I wanted to compile something. Still, no gcc was cool even though gcc is better, I liked different output when compiling

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nosl posted:

It's good for some applications (I don't mean application in the software sense, I mean the literal english meaning of the word application), and honestly nothing can beat OpenBSD at some of those niches, but those niches are so small, so underused, and so... why.. that talking about BSD as if it's a primary OS is loving hilarious.

I mean I literally tried to run FreeBSD as my main coding OS, but it was terrible. Absolutely awful. I went back to Gentoo and soon found myself not shooting myself in the foot everytime I wanted to compile something. Still, no gcc was cool even though gcc is better, I liked different output when compiling

he's talking about forums poster notorious bsd

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Captain Foo posted:

he's talking about forums poster yospos superstar notorious bsd

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The grey linux thread is pretty :suspense: just now.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
there's a gray thread?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Soricidus posted:

there's a front page?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=531#post443760459

pram
Jun 10, 2001
You're an rear end in a top hat, sir.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

:monocle:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pretty tame as "hobbyist with shallow understanding and deep self-confidence issues vs. undersocialized developer from open source project" slapfights go

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Undersocialized? Don't have to be such a meanieface :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

Undersocialized? Don't have to be such a meanieface :(

I was skimming, but a lot of "I don't have to be pleasant, I know a detail" stuck out. furthermore, YOSPOS bithc (thanks autocorrect for capitalization)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i was trying to be pleasant. i feel bad now

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

i was trying to be pleasant. i feel bad now

not you, evol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Are we getting closer to the nda lifting on the endless stuff susp dish? I'm even more curious now that the chrome sticks are out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yes. You will see some exciting stuff before the end of the month. I can't say anything more. Hang tight.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

as a slackware user in 2015, i

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

If I hadn't previously identified myself as an industry outsider / dilettante who was interested, I'd follow you on that line of reasoning. It would be like throwing 'hams acronyms at someone who came into a 'hams thread and said something like, "I've painted a few minis and read the books and think that [some new elf soldier dolly with swords and armor] is a good thing for me to get next to make my doll army better at fighting other doll armies." It was alright for me to ask for clarification, but also probably should have been unnecessary considering the specific context. That's all.

jre fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 8, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've orchestrated a big thing this morning while on the toilet

it reminded me of you are posting itt

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 8, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:stonk:

Look. You've clearly read the thread, or at least enough of it to know that I support systemd and pulseaudio.

There was literally a post a week ago about all the things that were wrong with plain ALSA, how you can break/block audio on a system in 2015 by using plain ALSA in WINE, etc. Also, ALSA doesn't do a drat thing with network audio, or software mixing from applications, or anything else. JACK solves some of these problems, but JACK and Pulse aren't orthogonal. As noted in this (very recent) discussion, all the same arguments against Pulse came out against ALSA when it replaced OSS.

The problem with using scripts is multipart. All of which you can learn about by reading this thread. Or anything about systemd, really. Socket activation, complex dependencies, scripts from vendors which specify that they should be S92 or whatever (explicitly), causing a whole bunch of other scripts to stack up as S99whatever at the end, incredible amounts of boilerplate for simple services, needing watchdog daemons to restart applications which crash, restarting other daemons which also require given ports/cgroups/sockets without duplicating a bunch of logic all over, etc. Every distribution using sysvinit breaks this basic idea, except maybe for Gentoo, because openrc isn't as dumb as sysvinit.

Before you get into some "humble hobbyist" perspective about how you have no idea what "the best technical solution" entails, I will tell you from a different perspective (one of someone who administered thousands of servers and currently works as a developer for a Linux vendor on non-"humble hobbyist" problems) that you shouldn't even care about this because it's transparent to you until you decide to make it an issue for no reason whatsoever. Instead of complaining about how the people who actually develop the operating system you use have decided (in multiple distros and a big roundtable/discussion from the Debian people) that systemd is actually the "best technical solution" and that upstart and sysvinit both have significant faults which cannot be remedied and make them ripe for replacement in a modern operating system, you should maybe listen to them. If you don't think it's "the best technical solution", try presenting a technical counter-argument about how sysvinit is not a mess which needs to be replaced by a modern init system, and how to make sysvinit handle modern development/usage paradigms.

I'll wait.

Technical issues are decided by technical arguments. Your feelings don't matter. Present a technical argument.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

osirisisdead posted:

No. I haven't done most of that considering I've been happily running Slackware for the past few years or playing with other parts of the system. I have broken a fair number of sysvinit scripts by doing stupid poo poo while mucking around with my toy computer lab, but fail to see how it's terribly difficult to order execution in bash scripts considering that they are in a sequentially executed scripting language. Unless your distribution of choice breaks that basic idea in some way that I am ignorant? I've mostly avoided the "serious business" side of the Linux universe apart from a short stint as a full stack LAMP developer because it seems to be generally populated by pompous, my-way-or-the-highway jerks, such as yourself, who mistake their arbitrary preferences of how things should be as "the best technical solution." I'd like you to explain how pulseaudio had anything to do with "software for production systems." That'll be a fun screed to read through, I'm sure.

I like how systemd has parallelized startup to make some things faster, but the rest of it seems like insane to me, a humble hobbyist. I think the point of most of it is that developers don't want things done in bash because you're most comfortable working in C, yet another language battle in the eternal language wars.

All of pulseaudio seems insane to me, considering I have tested for the main "problem" that your kind always claims that it "solves," the audio from two sources thing, and found it to be illusory as far as I can tell.

:frogon:

you know what? after reading some more of that thread, it's pretty good in general

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's like watching shaq jam on james mcjames, tallest dude in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

~your kind~

e: both sysvinit and systemd are fine and pulseaudio is better than esd at least how is this shitshow a controversy who the gently caress cares

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 8, 2015