Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ I PM'd you a question, mainly because options on the OM5 line are overwhelmingly broad, but it looks like a good fit.

edit :synpa: but this is in response to Rotten Red Rod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you guys feel about the DX Racer brand of chairs? Beyond the "gamer" price markup they seem like well built chairs with a lot of the features and aesthetics people want. I have been using mine for 8+ hours a day for the last 2 years with no real issues.

A lot of durability the issues I have read about seem to come from people buying the lowest price bottom of the line models and exceeding the weight limit.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So my Leap was shipped with the seat, gas cylinder, and casters as one unit and the back & arms detached. The arms seem straightforward, but I can't for the life of me find instructions on how to get these back together, and I'm not sure if that means I'm a moron or that the seller took this thing apart in a way that it wasn't really meant to. I sort of see how it's supposed to fit together, but it looks like it has screws or pins in the recesses covered by some kind of dust cap, and I"m wary of just prying stuff off an expensive chair without some guidance.

Nerdface Killah
Jan 9, 2009
I got my Steelcase Gesture* from a local authorized vendor here where I live.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Can't really find any authorized vendors where I live and shipping's going to be a huge bitch. The Ikea Markus gets mentioned as a decent alternative in the lower end of the price range, what about the Ikea Volmar?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Argas posted:

Can't really find any authorized vendors where I live and shipping's going to be a huge bitch. The Ikea Markus gets mentioned as a decent alternative in the lower end of the price range, what about the Ikea Volmar?

It looks pretty decent, it has hight, back hight and seat depth adjustments plus tilt with lock and the arm rests have hight adjustment so you should be able to get it to fit your body reasonably well. It has the same 10 year warranty as the Markus so it should be reasonably durable.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Argas posted:

No idea about the Volmar but me and the wife bought a pair of Markus chairs a couple of months ago and they've been great so far. We use them 2-5 hours a day and they're really comfortable.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

how do you guys feel about the DX Racer brand of chairs? Beyond the "gamer" price markup they seem like well built chairs with a lot of the features and aesthetics people want. I have been using mine for 8+ hours a day for the last 2 years with no real issues.

A lot of durability the issues I have read about seem to come from people buying the lowest price bottom of the line models and exceeding the weight limit.

They aren't adjustable, headrests are ergonomically a bad idea, and they are poorly made. Don't get one.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
My office master om5 came yesterday. Going to do more work in it and then I will try and write up my impressions.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It looks pretty decent, it has hight, back hight and seat depth adjustments plus tilt with lock and the arm rests have hight adjustment so you should be able to get it to fit your body reasonably well. It has the same 10 year warranty as the Markus so it should be reasonably durable.

Konsek posted:

No idea about the Volmar but me and the wife bought a pair of Markus chairs a couple of months ago and they've been great so far. We use them 2-5 hours a day and they're really comfortable.

Thanks, guess I'll need to get my rear end over to the local Ikea and give the seats a try. I found a couple of reviews online noting the Volmar's inadequate padding. Main reason I don't just go for the Markus is the lack of adjustable armrests.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Alright, I've been sitting in the OM5 for a couple of weeks.

Here's my thoughts:
*Although I got the "xt" model, the seat still isn't as wide as I'd like. Other goons are not likely to run into this because I am a giant.
*The purely weight-driven recline is an interesting idea, but I'm finding it annoying in practice. If I'm sitting bolt upright or leaning all the way back the chair feels great, but if I want to recline to any degree in between I basically have to flex the poo poo out of my abs to help it resist me. This is even after maxing out rrr's adjustment trick. This also might not be a problem if you're not giant. I'm 6'4" and 290 pounds, if those stats are useful to anyone. I don't even think of myself as particularly top heavy, as I have 31" quads from doin dem squats and deadlifts.
*The adjustable arms that keep getting reccomended I could take or leave. They have about 15 degrees of swivel and like 3" of back-and-forth travel. I don't think I'd do the basic arms, but I could see doing this chair with no arms at all.

Now, that said, even though you have to work pretty hard to recline in this chair, I find my back hurts less at the end of the day than it did in my old chair, but it's more tired. If you don't mind working your abs all day to sit in a chair, this might be the one for you. If you want something that will let you recline easily into whatever position and lock it there, you might want to look elsewhere.

Nerdface Killah
Jan 9, 2009
I have had the Steelcase Gesture for a few days and it's extremely comfortable. Much more so than the Aeron that I previously owned. I did have a question for anyone who has sat in or owned the Gesture chair. My chair slightly rocks side to side and it's a minor annoyance but one that I may be able to live with but the only reason I bring it up is my colleague has a Steelcase Think chair and I sat in it and it definitely does not rock ever so slightly side to side so I'm beginning to think that maybe the person who put my chair together didn't tighten something or there is a configuration that I may be able to change. So far exploring the chair I've found nothing that indicates I can make this rocking stop by changing the levers on the chair. Any ideas?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Nerdface Killah posted:

I have had the Steelcase Gesture for a few days and it's extremely comfortable. Much more so than the Aeron that I previously owned. I did have a question for anyone who has sat in or owned the Gesture chair. My chair slightly rocks side to side and it's a minor annoyance but one that I may be able to live with but the only reason I bring it up is my colleague has a Steelcase Think chair and I sat in it and it definitely does not rock ever so slightly side to side so I'm beginning to think that maybe the person who put my chair together didn't tighten something or there is a configuration that I may be able to change. So far exploring the chair I've found nothing that indicates I can make this rocking stop by changing the levers on the chair. Any ideas?

Start looking for play at each assembly point. If you get out of the chair and grab it by the seat back, are you able to rock it back and forth under those conditions? Or is it just wobbly under load?

Nerdface Killah
Jan 9, 2009

Zorilla posted:

Start looking for play at each assembly point. If you get out of the chair and grab it by the seat back, are you able to rock it back and forth under those conditions? Or is it just wobbly under load?

I just went back from page 30 and on and found several people who said they bought it and it didn't rock at all when they moved. Now I'm concerned.

I am able to rock it back and forth on my own holding the back of the chair.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Nerdface Killah posted:

I just went back from page 30 and on and found several people who said they bought it and it didn't rock at all when they moved. Now I'm concerned.

I am able to rock it back and forth on my own holding the back of the chair.

Can you track down where the play is coming from? The gas cylinder is the usual culprit (either where it meets the seat bottom or the legs), but if you're lucky, maybe it's a loose linkage elsewhere.

If it's more wobbly the higher you raise the chair, there could be some play between the cylinder and feet. The extra height magnifies the problem.

Nerdface Killah
Jan 9, 2009

Zorilla posted:

Can you track down where the play is coming from? The gas cylinder is the usual culprit (either where it meets the seat bottom or the legs), but if you're lucky, maybe it's a loose linkage elsewhere.

If it's more wobbly the higher you raise the chair, there could be some play between the cylinder and feet. The extra height magnifies the problem.

I turned it over again and I think I found it. It's from the seat portion that can adjust forward or back to give your legs room. It might just be how the chair is I guess. It seems that it has a lot of play on that rail that it sits on. I can also adjust the chair and then when I move forward using my but to scoot there's a lot of play in the chair there too. I couldn't see anything like loose screws or anything like that although it is kinda hard to see.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Here is a question, in terms of armrests, where do people think they should be in relation to the desk. I have always thought my armrests should be exactly at desk height but lately people have been calling me crazy saying armrests should be lower.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Knifegrab posted:

Here is a question, in terms of armrests, where do people think they should be in relation to the desk. I have always thought my armrests should be exactly at desk height but lately people have been calling me crazy saying armrests should be lower.

Where they should be depends on your proportions, they should just be touching your elbows and giving you a small amount of support, relieving some of the strain on your shoulders, if they are lifting your arms up they are too high.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I like having the armrests just under the height of the desk so I can slide the chair under the desk, but I also prefer having about a foot of space between my keyboard and the edge of the desk where I can place notes, etc. and it doubles as the perfect height to rest my arms at the same time. :shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Armrests more or less level with the desk surface, on my Think they slide out the way when the chair gets closer to the desk, which is perfect.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Is there anyway to decrease the resistance on the OM5 to begin leaning back? I am a pretty tiny dude and it feels like I really gotta push against the back to get it to pivot.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Through some extreme luck, I managed to track down a Steelcase Leap V2 for $100 on Craigslist. The seller had three he was getting rid of, and I apparently snagged the last one just in time. The seat upholstery and all the plastics look almost brand new. Even the armrests look fresh from the factory. As with every adventure in used office chair buying I have, there is a slight problem...

Is it normal for this model to hear and feel a slight clunking noise when starting to recline? I understand this chair reclines through a slide rail mechanism that sits under the seat bottom. With that in mind, I took the seat bottom off and tore the assembly down to just the upper and lower halves of the slide. I didn't go as far as removing the two bolts holding the two halves together, though. Even when disassembled this far, I can still hear the noise when manipulating the slide via the seat back, and it sounds like the recline spring is buckling or "popping", not unlike a worn coil spring or strut mount on a car.

While the exterior of the chair is super clean, the internals have some chipped paint, the steel plate under the seat bottom has some oxidation, and the screw heads look partially stripped, so somebody has been in here before. Maybe it was refurbished by the manufacturer at some point.

Noise or no noise, it's still probably better than the Aeron with 300,000 miles on it I was using before.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 11, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Zorilla posted:

Through some extreme luck, I managed to track down a Steelcase Leap V2 for $100 on Craigslist. The seller had three he was getting rid of, and I apparently snagged the last one just in time. The seat upholstery and all the plastics look almost brand new. Even the armrests look fresh from the factory. As with every adventure in used office chair buying I have, there is a slight problem...

Is it normal for this model to hear and feel a slight clunking noise when starting to recline? I understand this chair reclines through a slide rail mechanism that sits under the seat bottom. With that in mind, I took the seat bottom off and tore the assembly down to just the upper and lower halves of the slide. I didn't go as far as removing the two bolts holding the two halves together, though. Even when disassembled this far, I can still hear the noise when manipulating the slide via the seat back, and it sounds like the recline spring is buckling or "popping", not unlike a worn coil spring or strut mount on a car.

While the exterior of the chair is super clean, the internals have some chipped paint, the steel plate under the seat bottom has some oxidation, and the screw heads look partially stripped, so somebody has been in here before. Maybe it was refurbished by the manufacturer at some point.

Noise or no noise, it's still probably better than the Aeron with 300,000 miles on it I was using before.

I bought mine new and there is no clunking sound, so I don't think it's supposed to do that. That said I don't know how much of a problem it is but I would try to fix it if I were you since having the recline break would be a major problem.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My OM5 showed up in a cat-condo sized box, will sit around for a while and see how it feels. Initial impression is very very different from my current shitshow chair.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I'm around 210-220 lbs and 6ft 3. I've been looking at a few chairs recommended in this thread but I'm not sure they're what I'm looking for. I work from home and have a footrest under my desk, so I find that I'm reclined back with my feet up around 90% of the time. I'm not sure if the OM5 or the Leap/Gesture are going to work based on how I find myself positioned throughout the day. Does anyone who currently own one of these work the same way I do? I currently own the higher end "executive" chair from Costco and it's seen better days. I use one of those chair pads you can pick up at Marshalls for like $15 and change it out as it flattens. It's kind of a pain though because it's sliding around on the leather of the chair, but I need it or else my tailbone aches from sitting so long.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm around 210-220 lbs and 6ft 3. I've been looking at a few chairs recommended in this thread but I'm not sure they're what I'm looking for. I work from home and have a footrest under my desk, so I find that I'm reclined back with my feet up around 90% of the time. I'm not sure if the OM5 or the Leap/Gesture are going to work based on how I find myself positioned throughout the day. Does anyone who currently own one of these work the same way I do? I currently own the higher end "executive" chair from Costco and it's seen better days. I use one of those chair pads you can pick up at Marshalls for like $15 and change it out as it flattens. It's kind of a pain though because it's sliding around on the leather of the chair, but I need it or else my tailbone aches from sitting so long.

My Leap v2 can recline back quite a ways and is very comfortable that way, but it's very comfortable in pretty much every position. The cushions are not very thick but I have found them to be very supportive and they never cause me pain or discomfort even on extended sits. Never used a Gesture or the OM5 so I can't really comment on them. Fell free to ask any more questions you have about the Leap and I'll try to answer them.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My Leap v2 can recline back quite a ways and is very comfortable that way, but it's very comfortable in pretty much every position. The cushions are not very thick but I have found them to be very supportive and they never cause me pain or discomfort even on extended sits. Never used a Gesture or the OM5 so I can't really comment on them. Fell free to ask any more questions you have about the Leap and I'll try to answer them.

I know that some vendors offer different upgrades vs what is sold on Amazon. Would what is available on amazon be the same thing you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Steelcase-Leap-Chair-Black-Fabric/dp/B00GBUPUOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429647032&sr=8-1&keywords=steelcase

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

I know that some vendors offer different upgrades vs what is sold on Amazon. Would what is available on amazon be the same thing you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Steelcase-Leap-Chair-Black-Fabric/dp/B00GBUPUOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429647032&sr=8-1&keywords=steelcase

That looks like it, I bought directly from Steelcase since they were having one of their 15% off sales at the time, I did not choose any special options, just fabric color.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That looks like it, I bought directly from Steelcase since they were having one of their 15% off sales at the time, I did not choose any special options, just fabric color.

Gotcha. One last question: I usually find that I have to put some kind of pad on my current armrest to keep my elbow from getting sore on my right arm. Those just look like plastic and I'm concerned that it would kill my elbow. Any thoughts?

I feel so petty with these little details because the chair I'm using now sucks, but if I'm going to drop close to a grand on a chair I want to make sure I know what I'm getting.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

On Terra Firma posted:

Gotcha. One last question: I usually find that I have to put some kind of pad on my current armrest to keep my elbow from getting sore on my right arm. Those just look like plastic and I'm concerned that it would kill my elbow. Any thoughts?

I feel so petty with these little details because the chair I'm using now sucks, but if I'm going to drop close to a grand on a chair I want to make sure I know what I'm getting.

The ones on the Leap v2 are foam in some sort of soft plastic casing. They have some give to them, so they probably won't hurt your elbows.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

Like Zorilla said, the arm rests are slightly cushy, the only time I got a sore elbow from them was when I was really leaning on one elbow without realizing it and that is more of a bad habit of mine than the fault of the chair. If I had to describe the arm rests I would call them very firm, springy cushions. They also adjust up and down, and both the front and back can be tilted inwards and slid towards or away from your body.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'd describe the arms on the Leap as rubberized but yeah, they aren't hard plastic. Zero complaints about the hardness from when I used a Leap v2, though I wasn't a fan of the multiple adjustment options on them - I would've been happy with just the height adjustments.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Does anyone have experience with a HAG Capisco?

I have a desk that's maybe a few cm too high, and my current chair (Haworth Very Task, similar to the Zodie) can go high enough, but it's probably not ideal for the circulation in my legs as they're almost hanging off of the seat ledge. It's a good chair, but not without flaws such as somewhat easy to dislocate armrests. I'll probably try a Herman Miller Embody, but I'm also willing to try some more exotic things and the HAG Capisco looks like it might be interesting. I don't really move around too much in the Haworth, but when I had a bigger more standard ergonomic chair at a previous office I would totally move around and pull my leg under, or sit backwards etc so maybe it's something for me.

How do people feel about the lack of armrests? I use them like 100% of the time, but I think I've seen posts saying they're actually bad for you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Herman Miller sale is here soon. Why do the Mirra and Mirra 2 chairs have such garbage reviews on Amazon? I thought they were supposed to be better than the Aeron and far cheaper than the Embody?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
I've owned the Embody (balance fabric), Mirra (padded), and Aeron (lumbar and posture-fit). Hated the Aeron, owned a Mirra, purchased an Embody - loved it but gave it to my brother - then went back to a Mirra.

A padded Mirra is much different than an unpadded Mirra. For a short stint I took the fabric/pad off the back, and those scathing review on Amazon are correct: it's very uncomfortable. You cannot sink your back into it. It's a semi-rigid (ABS?) plastic. It's not meant to conform, but rather meant to provide a solid backing for posture. I currently use a padded Mirra, and those extra MM of fabric do make a huge difference for those times you want to sink back into the chair and recline a bit to think about something.

Go with a loaded (padded) version. It's much more comfortable than the unpadded (basic) version.

Also, certain stores have loaner programs. You might want to scope out furniture design stores in your area for such programs. Design Within Reach comes to mind.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Not strictly chair talk but definitely related:
I'm looking for a floor mat (for hardwood floors) that will provide a good amount of resistance so my chair doesn't slide around at the slightest touch. I have been using a decent size piece of scrap carpet but the wife has determined it's tacky.

I might just end up with "a nicer piece of scrap carpet that maybe has a nice edge this time" if I can't find a decent floor mat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sunblood posted:

I'm looking for a floor mat (for hardwood floors) that will provide a good amount of resistance so my chair doesn't slide around at the slightest touch. I have been using a decent size piece of scrap carpet but the wife has determined it's tacky.

I might just end up with "a nicer piece of scrap carpet that maybe has a nice edge this time" if I can't find a decent floor mat.

The general recommendation is to get a small rug of some sort.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A carpet store should be able to sell you a remnant and hem the edge of it for a reasonable price.
This is probably a better solution for carpeted rooms though.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Sunblood posted:

Hardwood floor casters might offer higher rolling resistance since they're made of a softer plastic (thermoplastic rubber versus nylon or ABS). I would advise using these anyway since a mat will collect dirt and scratch up your floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I replaced the wheels on my Steelcase Think with a third-party set and spent £15 total including the shipping. It makes a massive difference to the noise the chair makes when rolling around, and doesn't feel like it's scratching the floor up. Definitely worth doing.