Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Valeyard posted:

Well it worked out well for his Mum

And really, being mayor of Starling is a terrible career move for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The degree of rage bubbling off Lance through that episode was amazing.

Whether you agree with how he sees things or not , you can't help but buy that he has had about all that he can stand with this vigilante stuff.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

evenworse username posted:

The degree of rage bubbling off Lance through that episode was amazing.

Whether you agree with how he sees things or not , you can't help but buy that he has had about all that he can stand with this vigilante stuff.

Paul Blackthorn is basically acting everyone else out of the room and it's great to watch, though it's causing his American accent to get a bit strangled.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate that Ollie was letting the man vent, and that arguing isn't going to really change anything, but that whole speech in the paddy wagon was begging for a retort. I mean, no-one MADE Sara get on the boat, she was a grown woman who made a dumb choice. And the only reason the boat sank was because Merlyn was already planning his earthquake machine thing, so um... that's hundreds, if not thousands alive that would've died because Oliver (and Lance) stopped part of that.

Deathstroke... er... OK, he kinda has a point. Though there's no guarantee that Slade wouldn't have gone mirukuru-crazy on the island and done something similar somewhere else.

I don't even think this is a criticism, I think it's good writing, because it's totally believable that Lance is willfully ignoring this because it doesn't fit his current narrative of "Arrow = murderer at worst, and at best, gently caress-up that caused every tragedy in the last 3 years".

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Gaz-L posted:

I appreciate that Ollie was letting the man vent, and that arguing isn't going to really change anything, but that whole speech in the paddy wagon was begging for a retort. I mean, no-one MADE Sara get on the boat, she was a grown woman who made a dumb choice. And the only reason the boat sank was because Merlyn was already planning his earthquake machine thing, so um... that's hundreds, if not thousands alive that would've died because Oliver (and Lance) stopped part of that.

Deathstroke... er... OK, he kinda has a point. Though there's no guarantee that Slade wouldn't have gone mirukuru-crazy on the island and done something similar somewhere else.

I don't even think this is a criticism, I think it's good writing, because it's totally believable that Lance is willfully ignoring this because it doesn't fit his current narrative of "Arrow = murderer at worst, and at best, gently caress-up that caused every tragedy in the last 3 years".

Yeah, sure rationally blaming everything on Oliver doesn't make sense. However, it's not a stretch to say that every bad thing that has happened to Lance in the last few years is tied to Oliver. I remember second season when they had the flash back to the Lance household the days leading up to the boat trip, they were laying it own so thick about how perfect everything was it felt like they were trying to make it funny. It was basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdQn3X2KVo

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I hope when the Flash visits alternat time lines Sarah, Moira and Tommy are alive :smith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bad Moon posted:

I hope when the Flash visits alternat time lines Sarah, Moira and Tommy are alive :smith:

Moira won't. Susanna Thompson has said she doesn't want to come back for any kind of flashbacks or cameos according to the producers. They wanted to have her in one this year and she declined.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Deadpool posted:

Moira won't. Susanna Thompson has said she doesn't want to come back for any kind of flashbacks or cameos according to the producers. They wanted to have her in one this year and she declined.

Wow. Any reason why?

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

Polaron posted:

Wow. Any reason why?

There are a lot of actors who really don't want to be too associated with genre work. It is quickly going away, but there are still a few people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bandanna posted:

There are a lot of actors who really don't want to be too associated with genre work. It is quickly going away, but there are still a few people.

She spent two years on there. I'm not sure that's the problem. If I were to guess it would either be that she doesn't want to travel in order to do a cameo, is the kind of actress that doesn't want to revisit the same parts when she's done with them, or she's bitter that they killed her off. Any are pretty plausible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

10 Beers posted:

Just a thought, but does it bother anyone else just how much Ollie uses his bow as a melee weapon? Especially against swords and stuff. Like, this is your primary weapon, which will be disabled if a blade hits it the wrong way, and through which you usually have an escape option. Go a little easier on it!

During the One Year Later arc (from which the show drew a lot of material) Ollie was revealed to have retrained himself and was now carrying a sword, just like Robin Hood. I kind of wish they'd incorporate that into the show.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I went looking to see if I could find her stating a reason. I didn't find one, but I did read an interview from right after Moira was killed where she said (paraphrasing)

1) She does think there were still been good Moira stories to be told, but the show is focusing more on other characters. Given that, she would rather Moira go out in a big way then fade into the background. Moiras could never be the kind of character that shows up for a few minutes every couple episodes to be Oliver's worrying and supportive mother.

2) She liked the Moiras conclusion being a beautiful, courageous moment.

So given that my guess would be she doesn't want to cheapen the final arc and she doesn't want to do cameos just for the sake of cameos.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well since people brought it up and this is comic book talk but I've look forward to them hopefully doing this arc forever , I'll spoiler it just in case . The reason I was so excited for Bronze Tiger was that that meant a possibility of Richard Dragon, one of DCs greatest martial artists showing up to train Oliver, basically Oliver gets clowned by Lady Shiva who's considered the best martial artist in DC, but she lets him live then he goes off and trains with Richard Dragon . I think that's how it went , but it was a really interesting turning point for his character

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Deadpool posted:

She spent two years on there. I'm not sure that's the problem. If I were to guess it would either be that she doesn't want to travel in order to do a cameo, is the kind of actress that doesn't want to revisit the same parts when she's done with them, or she's bitter that they killed her off. Any are pretty plausible.

IIRC she only had nice things to say in interviews after they killed off Moira so I doubt it's the latter.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol at the glamour pic of of Amell they threw in there at the police station.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Hollismason posted:

Well since people brought it up and this is comic book talk but I've look forward to them hopefully doing this arc forever , I'll spoiler it just in case . The reason I was so excited for Bronze Tiger was that that meant a possibility of Richard Dragon, one of DCs greatest martial artists showing up to train Oliver, basically Oliver gets clowned by Lady Shiva who's considered the best martial artist in DC, but she lets him live then he goes off and trains with Richard Dragon . I think that's how it went , but it was a really interesting turning point for his character

I wasn't reading Green Arrow in the 1990's but what you've described was the arc The Question went through.
I know in the 90's that Ollie was doing the Longbow Hunter thing but it's possible that Richard Dragon was also in Green Arrow.

My favourite part was this Question/Green Arrow/Batman crossover. You see all throughout the Question's series whenever Richard Dragon had shown up he was in a wheelchair. But there has been reports about Richard walking around kicking rear end.
Batman asks Ollie if he knows anything about these discepancies.

Ollie: Some days I hear Richard is stuck in a chair. And some days I hear he can run faster than a rabbit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

10 Beers posted:

Just a thought, but does it bother anyone else just how much Ollie uses his bow as a melee weapon? Especially against swords and stuff. Like, this is your primary weapon, which will be disabled if a blade hits it the wrong way, and through which you usually have an escape option. Go a little easier on it!

I am trying to look up the quote, but it's from Season 1 of the show. I think it's the episode with Vertigo, but Ollie is unable to use his Bow for a confrontation with some bad dudes. Diggle asks him what he will do. And Ollie just says

"People make the mistake of thinking that the Bow is my only weapon.
I AM the weapon!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Best scene of this episode was when the team were discussing what to do in the Arrow Cave and Oliver was whining about how Ra's was using "his city" against him and both Roy and Laurel were like "oh god here we go again :rolleyes:"

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 4, 2015

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I've enjoyed this episode in a way I had not enjoyed a full episode in a while--it feels like there's a more, direct coherent story being told.
Oliver's life being detonated around him is pretty cool, especially since a tv show can follow up on that more.
I still think a lot of the season was odd, but it's nice if the show finishes in a strong stretch.

Best moment of the episode: Oliver genuinely saying he loved Lance's family and getting immediately slapped for it. Oliver
says something true and unguarded for once and gets the taste slapped out of his mouth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

quote:

Just about everyone loves Manu Bennett's take on Deathstroke the Terminator on The CW's Arrow...except, apparently, Bennett himself.

“I think Deathstroke had a lot of possibilities with Arrow but, I think they took it in the wrong direction,” Bennett told theMusic.com.au during an interview in support of his appearances at Melbourne's Supanova.

“I think they should have honoured the Marv Wolfman character who was literally unstoppable. I read the DC comic books and thought Deathstroke was so bad arse because they make it that nobody can stop him. He’s not even super-powered, he is just a mercenary," explained Bennett, who also starred as a villain in Warner Bros.' The Hobbit films. “It took the Justice League to defeat him; it took an army to take him on. In Arrow, it took a while for Oliver [Queen/Arrow] to prove his point, but [season three] was just a beating of Slade, adding insult to injury.”

Arguably the biggest news in the story is that Bennett will not return to Arrow...but that's only stated in the article; the quotes themselves don't support such a bold statement, unless there's more to the interview that will run later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He likes the horrible version of Deathstroke that everybody hates.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drat

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He wanted to show up in Flash and have Barry run into a sword.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Crixus was always kinda a dick

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The writing for the character was pretty awful, so good on him for putting and end to him, before it got more corny. He normally seems like a good sport, though, shame on him for being a poo poo about it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Well, to be fair people may hate the unstoppable Deathstroke from the comics but that version never got all weepy over a ghost in his head so Bennett may have some beef.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Deathstroke gets beat up by a bunch of super powered kids all the time and he complains about what happened in Arrow? Come on. :colbert:

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
He sounds like an ungrateful dick. Probably not the best way to get future roles.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Crixus was always kinda a dick

overtone posted:

He sounds like an ungrateful dick. Probably not the best way to get future roles.

ufarn posted:

The writing for the character was pretty awful, so good on him for putting and end to him, before it got more corny. He normally seems like a good sport, though, shame on him for being a poo poo about it.

I loooove how you guys are going apeshit about this. It's hilarious.

The guy should be able to speak his mind freely. Why does that make him a dick again? The character started out amazing but he's totally right that it went in the wrong direction and the writing got horrible. The way he kept talking to Shado's ghost was particularly cringe-worthy, and his appearance in Season 3 was a total joke.

I don't agree that it should have been an unstoppable character like in the comics, but still, I'm siding with Bennett on this one, and props to him that he's being vocal about it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really liked this episode. Slowly but surely, Ollie's going from "dimestore Batman" to Green Arrow.

I hope Roy's stunt is what causes him to start getting called Green Arrow ("What, the guy in red is the arrow now? Should we call you the Green Arrow or something?") and that he hates every minute of it. :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

The guy should be able to speak his mind freely. Why does that make him a dick again? The character started out amazing but he's totally right that it went in the wrong direction and the writing got horrible.

That's not what he said.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's not what he said.

???

quote:

“I think Deathstroke had a lot of possibilities with Arrow but, I think they took it in the wrong direction,” Bennett told theMusic.com.au

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Aphrodite posted:

That's not what he said.

Well he's definitely not wrong about the S3 appearance being about him getting his rear end kicked to catalyse the Sara reveal to Thea. The character he was in the previous seasons really deserved better than that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think he sounds that ungrateful. If not for the "wrong direction" bit, he'd just sound like any other nerd talking about a comics character. Like, so what if he didn't like Deathstroke's writing this season? Half this forum doesn't either.

I mean, I do, 'cuz I hate comics Deathstroke and seeing any Deathstroke get chumped is a good time for me. :haw: And that episode was one of the strongest of the season anyway.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It's not like I think Manu Bennett is actually a dick or something, I don't know the guy it's just funny.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
The more I think about it, the more I think DC wouldn't let Arrow use Deathstroke again, and he had to spend his final episode getting beat up.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

overtone posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think DC wouldn't let Arrow use Deathstroke again, and he had to spend his final episode getting beat up.

I'm wondering if this and the thing with Deadshot are why they created the Deadbolt dude we'll be getting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It makes sense that Deadshot, having been wasting away in jail for a year, couldn't take on Arrow and his sister. But as long as his motive is "Shado Shado Shado", it may be limiting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The entire thing is about how badass he thought Slade should have been. He doesn't say anything about character or writing. The part you quoted is about how he thinks Deathstroke should have been unstoppable, instead of beatable by the hero of the show.

He did interviews before talking about how Arrow is really Slade's story and things like that. He's a weird guy who gets way into his characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Polaron posted:

I'm wondering if this and the thing with Deadshot are why they created the Deadbolt dude we'll be getting.

Nah, Deathbolt is a c-list metahuman from the comics which is being used as a way to start tying in the whole superpowers/mystical stuff together between Flash and Arrow.

• Locked thread