Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up

Baronjutter posted:

It's interesting how all the little digs at simcity were Paradox's doing and she felt uncomfortable making fun of simcity/maxis. Also she can't understand how anyone plays by not just optimizing cash flow.

On the stream the day before release she flat out stated that she got into video games pretty much only to make money. Just lots and lots of money. In it for the money. Somehow this didn't trigger a childish cynic alert but instead made her and her wacky bunch of Finns all the more endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fact that chirper was the only input she had into the actual game is telling. They did an interview with the business manager, which is not really the people RPS usually interview. It sounds kinda like she kinda left the actual game design to the game design people. Good idea!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Chirper doesn't really say anything useful, that's the problem. It's a sort of irrelevant chat box. If it was like sim cities advisers in that it supplied information on the city it would be much more useful.

There probably is the foundation to do that within the code actually.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The Chirper does say useful things... it's just drowned out by the mass of people wondering how much power their #electricitymeter uses and proclaiming what an #awesometown they live in. But people do also complain about things you should probably address, like not having electricity or bathing in poop water. The signal-to-noise ratio is just so bad that most people hide or block the Chirper out entirely. That, and it's in such an awkward spot in the middle of the screen. You could fix the Chirper and make it useful while still essentially being a twitter feed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, colour flavour chirps vs useful chirps.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The signal-to-noise ratio is just so bad that most people hide or block the Chirper out entirely.

Just like real Twitter!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Is there a mod to 'clear all' from chirper? I stopped looking at it and I've got like a hundred messages now

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Konig posted:

Here's Albury-Wodonga, didn't get ALL the anabranches and tiny lagoons, but got the major ones. Go nuts.
Thanks for this! I'll probably use it for my next map.

I thought the Chirper idea was decent as an update to the tickers, the implementation wasn't that great, but of course There Are Mods For That.

And if you recall, the ticker (particularly in SC3000) had colour entries as well as the informational stuff which you'd click to bring up the petitioners.

The issue here is you have to go and click all the damned things to dismiss them.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Name it something like Yogi or Baloo or whatever.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

New city ordinance?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Deadly Hume posted:

Thanks for this! I'll probably use it for my next map.

I thought the Chirper idea was decent as an update to the tickers, the implementation wasn't that great, but of course There Are Mods For That.

And if you recall, the ticker (particularly in SC3000) had colour entries as well as the informational stuff which you'd click to bring up the petitioners.

The issue here is you have to go and click all the damned things to dismiss them.
I dont think there's any reason you need to dismiss them, I haven't actually clicked on the chirper interface since release day.

vOv posted:

My favorite bit is how she genuinely, actually thought that this was how people tweeted. She seems like a cool person.
That's kind of what makes it perfect. Its not literally how twitter works, its how you think it works in your head. Like if you play computer hacking completely straight in a movie it'd be kind of dull, but have someone frantically typing nonsense while progress bars fill and a little skull and crossbones shows up proclaiming virus detected and you are getting somewhere.

Maybe I'm just as disconnected as the CEO.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think these guys need to update their educational curriculum with Cities: Skylines:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131107-could-video-games-replace-exams

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Also, colour flavour chirps vs useful chirps.

This, and pertinent chirps, when clicked, take you to the problem it is telling you about.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Frogfingers posted:

This, and pertinent chirps, when clicked, take you to the problem it is telling you about.

This already happens. Click the person's name.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Elevated walkways? Elevated Walkways.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Elevated walkways? Elevated Walkways.

Elevated-ish walkways. Continuing my wasted weekend of computer game bus timetable optimisation. :shepicide: It been perversely working out that the more lines a city has, the less budget should be given to buses. Normal funding causes bus jamming on lines, 50% funding throws car trip saves up between 30-60%.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well poo poo, no wonder everybody's been getting sick and dying! I put a Water Pumping station, but no drain pipes! I thought 6 clinics and one hospital would fix it, but nope, now I'm broke.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Is there a mod to 'clear all' from chirper? I stopped looking at it and I've got like a hundred messages now

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406412894

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I'm loving this game so far but holy poo poo a traffic planner I am not.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

kinnas posted:

On the stream the day before release she flat out stated that she got into video games pretty much only to make money. Just lots and lots of money. In it for the money. Somehow this didn't trigger a childish cynic alert but instead made her and her wacky bunch of Finns all the more endearing.

She's just so honest with herself and everything. I think that's the thing that makes it so endearing.

It also shows she's a good CEO. She wants money, knows that to make money you need a good game and has a clear understanding that she has no idea about videogames so she leaves it to the people who do know and takes care of the rest. This is the ideal environment (management-wise) for developers.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have a good example of a freight rail network that doesn't get horribly jammed? Right now I've got one line with a little siding at each freight depo and it's all locked up.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I literally just bought a new i7 4790k, motherboard and h100i just to play this game decently. My city was over 150k and my old CPU was struggling to even muster 10-15 fps at 100% load on all 4 cores. Now I'm getting 30-50 fps with ~40% load!

Edit: never mind. 100% load and hot as hell

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 4, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

thunderspanks posted:

I'm loving this game so far but holy poo poo a traffic planner I am not.

Learn how to use frontage roads and u turns, and segregate your industry but with access to major roadways, and most of your problems will fade away.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Also, I remember in SimCity 4 I could often start out painting what would essentially be the final image of my town- whereas I find Cities demands a lot more urban renewal, reconstruction, and emminent domain type situations to keep the city growing. Initially I found this a pain compared to the ole zen garden city's sim that is SC4, but it's definitely making the gameplay and budget balancing at least somewhat important.

Pretty sure someone's working on an election/mayor gameplay component too which may be cool. Would have been near to see that in the main game if handled like the bankruptcy loan- 'alright, you got voted out. No worries though, you can keep working on your city as an immortal God mayor, but no more achievements!'

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Poizen Jam posted:

Learn how to use frontage roads and u turns, and segregate your industry but with access to major roadways, and most of your problems will fade away.

If you want to be lazy about your industry you can just plop down a few of these Optimized Industrial Grids and connect your rail/bus/subway/walkways

Just connect it to people only with walkways/bus/subway and connect the roads only to major highways for best results initially. There are others like it that's just the first one I found/used to mess around with.

edit: random helpful tip is that you can elevate your utility lines like you can roads

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 4, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've realized that you don't even need much of an industrial sector once offices are available since commercial sectors next to railways work just fine. You'll just be importing a ton of goods to sell but those buildings go up to max level quickly. This frees up a lot of traffic space and you can have a basic yuppie city. :)

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I REALLY need the ability to specify turn lanes. My starting highway connection has the two highways and a perpendicular avenue meeting in a six way intersection. This WOULD be adequate, except all my highway-only traffic is merging into middle lane only to split back into all three lanes once they cross the intersection. And my left turning traffic also uses the middle lane because they think the left-most lane is for u-turns only...:psyduck:

Originally, I just put the avenue straight through the highway to create two intersections right next to each other hoping it would act as one big intersection, but that didn't work due to the traffic lights not.being in sync with each other, resulting in perpendicular traffic both having green lights.

Lane control and traffic light control is REALLY needed.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 4, 2015

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got Cities: Skylines

Am I doing it right?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Frankston posted:

I got Cities: Skylines

Am I doing it right?

Let's see.....garbage and corpses piling up because your convoy of garbage trucks and hearses are stuck in gridlock, causing buildings to be abandoned....yeah I think you're playing it right.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 4, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subyng posted:

There's a traffic light toggle mod that helps a lot. Not really timing control, but it lets you turn off all the traffic lights for an intersection.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Subyng posted:

I REALLY need the ability to specify turn lanes. My starting highway connection has the two highways and a perpendicular avenue meeting in a six way intersection. This WOULD be adequate, except all my highway-only traffic is merging into middle lane only to split back into all three lanes once they cross the intersection. And my left turning traffic also uses the middle lane because they think the left-most lane is for u-turns only...:psyduck:

Originally, I just put the avenue straight through the highway to create two intersections right next to each other hoping it would act as one big intersection, but that didn't work due to the traffic lights not.being in sync with each other, resulting in perpendicular traffic both having green lights.

Lane Control
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412101021&searchtext=lane+control

Toggle Lights, meaning you can specify intersections where traffic lights *go* but not their timing or anything. You can even place them where the game wouldn't normally!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411833858&searchtext=toggle+lights

Both of these mods are permanent installs for me until C:S gets this functionality natively.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I already have both mods ;) and am using them to implement slip lanes in said intersection. what I mean is syncing traffic lights and defining turn lanes. The lane changer mod only allows you to restrict turning.

I'm at least comforted in the fact that my traffic troubles are actually due to bad ai pathing and has nothing to do with my road network =)

Subyng fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 4, 2015

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Sudden power problems, went to check out the generator....

Yes, they put it out before meltdown. Not that meltdown is in the game, I expect, but still. It should be.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

McGlockenshire posted:

Yes, they put it out before meltdown. Not that meltdown is in the game, I expect, but still. It should be.

"So we'll march day and night. By the big cooling tower. They have the plant. But we have the power. "

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Redesigning highway intersection to be a roundabout but...is there a way to connect my two separate highway roads to the circle road without distorting the hell out of the circle?

e: nevermind, holy poo poo that roundabout was a bad idea. It made everything 1000x worse.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I wouldn't even really mind the repetitive nature of it if I didn't have to click x on every single message (and the x's aren't all lined up either!).
Scroll to the top of the chirper log and then start mashing X, they'll all line up under your mouse pointer as the previous message dies.

zedprime posted:

That's kind of what makes it perfect. Its not literally how twitter works, its how you think it works in your head. Like if you play computer hacking completely straight in a movie it'd be kind of dull, but have someone frantically typing nonsense while progress bars fill and a little skull and crossbones shows up proclaiming virus detected and you are getting somewhere.

Maybe I'm just as disconnected as the CEO.
Uplink, by the Introversion guys, is a great game about Hollywood style hacking.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Subyng posted:

Redesigning highway intersection to be a roundabout but...is there a way to connect my two separate highway roads to the circle road without distorting the hell out of the circle?

Make a cross inside the roundabout with straight roads, it won't deform but can limit connections. After you're done remove the cross.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Whoever made that Bluth Banana Stand, gently caress you. As much as I enjoyed it I eventually unsubscribed to it because I was having banana stands everywhere and it looked ridiculous. Now my game crashes whenever I return to the main menu. :(

e: I don't think it has to do with that asset specifically actually, but it seems like unsubscribing from buildings that you have used, even if you didn't actually have any of said buildings in your map, fucks something up.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McGlockenshire posted:

A fire should not cause a meltdown at a plant, the game does not include mid-century soviet reactors. Then again this game doesn't quite understand how electricity is made.