Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And what he does ain't pretty.

Or funny. Or original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Codependent Poster posted:

There are tiny specks of red in Hunter's eyes. Wonder what that means.

Dude is probably a T-800.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Irish Joe posted:

The real SHIELD hasn't really done anything so far that would justify a defection. At this point, it could be argued that Coulsen has been the unreasonably antagonistic party.

Aside from try to gun down fellow SHIELD agent Skye, you mean?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron posted:

With an Icer.

The same thing Skye shot herself with to shut down her powers. Hardly evil.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

With an Icer.

Rull Shuld were not using Icers. They were shooting guns

With bullets.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Rull Shuld were not using Icers. They were shooting guns

With bullets.

Yeah, not really sure how this was missed. She tells them to make sure to use Icers, and the whole point of her even delivering that line is to highlight the fact that they ignore her.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

With an Icer.

It was a real bullet. There was a large and very clear close-up when the special effect started.

In fact, that's why Bobbie yells out. She realizes what's about to happen.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been debating for a while on who my favorite character is this season, and I've decided that it's Hunter. The dude is smart, capable, loyal, funny, and has his heart in the right place. Unlike Bobby, he doesn't get converted by EJO, and instead calls him out on his bullshit and peaces out like a pro. I can't wait to see him and Coulson kick some rear end next episode.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

enraged_camel posted:

It was a real bullet. There was a large and very clear close-up when the special effect started.

In fact, that's why Bobbie yells out. She realizes what's about to happen.

Not just then, either. The faceless goon was also not using an Icer.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

enraged_camel posted:

I've been debating for a while on who my favorite character is this season, and I've decided that it's Hunter. The dude is smart, capable, loyal, funny, and has his heart in the right place. Unlike Bobby, he doesn't get converted by EJO, and instead calls him out on his bullshit and peaces out like a pro. I can't wait to see him and Coulson kick some rear end next episode.

You forget, he has a kickass signature and is entirely willing to use a napkin as a binding contract. The guy has style!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Polaron posted:

Well, I was specifically referring to the real SHIELD's treatment of Coulsen, and Coulsen's rather violent rejection of the real SHIELD's offer of cooperation.

As for the Skye thing, we don't know what happened with that yet. Specifically, we don't know whether the agent in charge of apprehending Skye shot her of his own volition, or under Adama's orders. Nor do we have his or the real SHIELD's justification for using real bullets against Skye. Yes, we, the audience, know Skye is harmless because she's the show's protagonist, but the real SHIELD doesn't know that, and instead is forced rely on intel provided by Mockingjay, and Coulsen's highly suspicious behavior.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Blazing Ownager posted:

With an Icer.

Not trying to be an rear end, but you've mentioned this three times at this point. Are you simply not reading people's responses or did you forget them as soon as you did?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Irish Joe posted:

Well, I was specifically referring to the real SHIELD's treatment of Coulsen, and Coulsen's rather violent rejection of the real SHIELD's offer of cooperation.

As for the Skye thing, we don't know what happened with that yet. Specifically, we don't know whether the agent in charge of apprehending Skye shot her of his own volition, or under Adama's orders. Nor do we have his or the real SHIELD's justification for using real bullets against Skye. Yes, we, the audience, know Skye is harmless because she's the show's protagonist, but the real SHIELD doesn't know that, and instead is forced rely on intel provided by Mockingjay, and Coulsen's highly suspicious behavior.

The first agent to catch Skye goes after her with a real gun too so it wasn't just Acevedo. They just don't care about bringing in a powered individual alive, SHIELD or no.

As for Adama, instead of trying to communicate with Coulson he sent spies in, gassed the place and took over at gunpoint. Not the actions of someone wanting to act diplomatically.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Coulsen's rather violent rejection of the real SHIELD's offer of cooperation.

Are you a battered woman?

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Except Gonzalez didn't offer cooperation. He had spies in Coulson's team who helped Real SHIELD break into their base with an armed strike team. There was no previous attempt at negotiation. Hell, Real SHIELD could've had Bobby or Mack just meet Coulson one-on-one at any point, just ask for a private meeting, and try to explain their point of view and how they think Coulson should change without needing to mention that they were working for a splinter organization, just to see beforehand if Coulson was open to the idea of changing his approach.

But no, there were no previous attempts. Real SHIELD just took over by force, and Gonzalez didn't give Coulson an offer of cooperation, he demanded surrender. Phil might've been allowed to keep working with Real SHIELD, but only if he did things their way. Gonzalez didn't ask Phil's input, just demanded Coulson open the Toolbox for him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd like to imagine that Gonzales told Bobbi and Mack that "Coulson's not the man you knew/heard about. He's been effected by something and we don't know what. We know he's been going after people with powers and bringing them in. He's dangerous and unpredictable. And so are the people with him. They may act normal, or act like your friends, but they are just hiding their true colours".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dracorion posted:

Except Gonzalez didn't offer cooperation. He had spies in Coulson's team who helped Real SHIELD break into their base with an armed strike team. There was no previous attempt at negotiation. Hell, Real SHIELD could've had Bobby or Mack just meet Coulson one-on-one at any point, just ask for a private meeting, and try to explain their point of view and how they think Coulson should change without needing to mention that they were working for a splinter organization, just to see beforehand if Coulson was open to the idea of changing his approach.

But no, there were no previous attempts. Real SHIELD just took over by force, and Gonzalez didn't give Coulson an offer of cooperation, he demanded surrender. Phil might've been allowed to keep working with Real SHIELD, but only if he did things their way. Gonzalez didn't ask Phil's input, just demanded Coulson open the Toolbox for him.

Yeah, I don't think Gonzalez's intentions are selfish, bad or evil. He just doesn't trust Coulson because of what Coulson went through. He thinks Coulson just became unhinged and unreliable, and viewed any diplomacy attempt to be fruitless (and detrimental, since it would have caused Real SHIELD to lose the element of surprise). So naturally, he resorts to force.

Now that Acevedo got injured during Skye's self-defense blast, tensions will probably be even higher.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Not trying to be an rear end, but you've mentioned this three times at this point. Are you simply not reading people's responses or did you forget them as soon as you did?

Just keep posting, don't read replies

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-cast-julie-deply-linda-cardellini/

Did this get posted? Is that guest appearance list real?

Edit: wait that probably means at the premiere

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 4, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's a list of guests invited to the premiere of the movie.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

I figured it was people asking the same question over and over. Skimming back several pages, I've not really found too many people contesting it or any replies. Why are people so sure it wasn't an Icer? As far as I can tell they look like regular bullets and have throughout the entire series. It's possible I missed something.

Also the guy that fired it plays a treacherous douche in everything he's ever been in. I'm not taking any of his character actions as necessarily representing the new SHIELD even if it was a live bullet.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Icers sound and look different, both gun and shot wise. The easiest way to tell is that the Icers sound semi-silenced (so the faceless goon's shot wouldn't have been heard) and the blue flash instead of orange when fired.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The gun that Ward didn't shoot the dog with was an icer, as was the penis he didn't use on May.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Blazing Ownager posted:

I figured it was people asking the same question over and over. Skimming back several pages, I've not really found too many people contesting it or any replies. Why are people so sure it wasn't an Icer? As far as I can tell they look like regular bullets and have throughout the entire series. It's possible I missed something.

Also the guy that fired it plays a treacherous douche in everything he's ever been in. I'm not taking any of his character actions as necessarily representing the new SHIELD even if it was a live bullet.

Not only do the Icers look and sound different, as Onean pointed out (Icers also don't fire steel bullets), but the first NuSHIELD goon who gets to Skye also uses a real gun. So it's not just Acevedo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Polaron posted:

Not only do the Icers look and sound different, as Onean pointed out (Icers also don't fire steel bullets), but the first NuSHIELD goon who gets to Skye also uses a real gun. So it's not just Acevedo.

Avocado was leading the tac team, so he could have given the order to use real bullets.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Blazing Ownager posted:

The "treacherous douche" was not the only person using real bullets against Skye. Like people have been saying, every member of the new SHIELD was also using real bullets when they were hunting down Skye, except for Bobbi.

And, as Onean says, icers have a noticeable blue muzzle flash,

instead of the orange-yellow flash of regular bullets.

And yes, icers are also much quieter than regular gunshots. You would not be able to hear it across the forest, as Bobbi and Douche do when one of the henchmen fired at Skye.

e: Beaten multiple times like Ward's dog. Hey, maybe three of the exact same explanations in rapid succession will finally clear things up. :buddy:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 4, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
AfterEffects is really getting a work-out this season. drat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Something that occurs to me is that Skye may well believe that Coulson is the one who sent people to kill her. After all, she's been in isolation and hasn't a clue about the whole "Real SHIELD" business. May warns her that SHIELD is coming to get her, without the qualifier that it's a seperate version of SHIELD. Then a bunch of people dressed like SHIELD agents attack a place that only Phil is is supposed to know the location of led by Bobbi Morse who A) was last seen working for Coulson and B) had been one of a room of people Skye had thought were friends who she'd heard admit was afraid of her. Then two of those SHIELD agents tried to put her down with real bullets.

Honestly, if she didn't conclude that Phil decided she needed to die after all and that May disagreed and decided to go behind his back to warn Skye about it, she'd probably be too naive to live. And after she went and plugged Ward first chance she got, I don't think that's the case anymore.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

jng2058 posted:

Something that occurs to me is that Skye may well believe that Coulson is the one who sent people to kill her. After all, she's been in isolation and hasn't a clue about the whole "Real SHIELD" business. May warns her that SHIELD is coming to get her, without the qualifier that it's a seperate version of SHIELD. Then a bunch of people dressed like SHIELD agents attack a place that only Phil is is supposed to know the location of led by Bobbi Morse who A) was last seen working for Coulson and B) had been one of a room of people Skye had thought were friends who she'd heard admit was afraid of her. Then two of those SHIELD agents tried to put her down with real bullets.

Honestly, if she didn't conclude that Phil decided she needed to die after all and that May disagreed and decided to go behind his back to warn Skye about it, she'd probably be too naive to live. And after she went and plugged Ward first chance she got, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Good point, I hope the show explores that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has there been any indicator whether or not the carrier (the Iliad, I guess?) is the answer to the 'what the gently caress happened to the Avengers 1 helicarrier' question?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
The more this show goes on the more I hope we get some answer on "where the gently caress have The Avengers been" other than just AWOL. They must feasibly have some opinion on what's going on, right? At least Stark and Rogers would.

Not that guest appearances are needed, I just wonder where or how this whole "Real Shield" thing is going to play out in the films. I hope they give these opposing sides some screen time instead of making it just the backdrop to Stark vs. Rogers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She might implicitly trust Coulson enough that the thought of him betraying her wouldn't cross her mind, and she'd be right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jetfire posted:

The more this show goes on the more I hope we get some answer on "where the gently caress have The Avengers been" other than just AWOL. They must feasibly have some opinion on what's going on, right? At least Stark and Rogers would.

Not that guest appearances are needed, I just wonder where or how this whole "Real Shield" thing is going to play out in the films.

New SHIELD is undercover, though, I don't think the Avengers are aware that it's come back as a resurrected organisation or that Coulson is running it or anything like that.

Realistically Stark probably should but eh.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 4, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jetfire posted:

Not that guest appearances are needed, I just wonder where or how this whole "Real Shield" thing is going to play out in the films. I hope they give these opposing sides some screen time instead of making it just the backdrop to Stark vs. Rogers.

The Avengers are on vacation and they have their cellphones turned off sorry.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Having just watched The Winter Soldier last night I don't know that Rogers would be happy that SHIELD is still operating.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MikeJF posted:

New SHIELD is undercover, though, I don't think the Avengers are aware that it's come back as a resurrected organisation or that Coulson is running it or anything like that.

Technically none of the Avengers even know Coulson is alive, right? Tho in theory there'd be no good reason for Thor not to know after the Cree episode

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure Colbie Smuthers' character keeps tabs on Coulsen's SHIELD. As for the rest of the Avengers.. why would they even care?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

:sweatdrop:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Stark/Smulders and Cap would care about RealShield and Coulson but everyone else is probably happy to be left alone.

Azhais posted:

Technically none of the Avengers even know Coulson is alive, right? Tho in theory there'd be no good reason for Thor not to know after the Cree episode

Coulson asked Sif nicely not to tell Thor the first time she was on AoS and she's probably very adamant about keeping her word and honouring agreements and such.

Skye won't think Coulson put a kill order on her, her suddenly not trusting Coulson implicitly would be a pretty sharp turn in where they've taken both characters and I don't think they'll do that, other than maybe the Inhumans trying to convince her she can't trust any of her old friends and her not falling for it after some introspection or flashback montage or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Shouldn't Stark, Cap, et al know about Shield still being a thing seeing how earlier in this season we saw that Talbot was talking on the news about taking them down?

• Locked thread