Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Let's not forget that other pizza companies can be dumb too.

I'm pretty sure Pizza Hut tapped into the gamer demographic first. With the Everquest 2 /pizza command. It would open up the in-game web browser on Pizza Hut's online ordering page.

If only Pizza hut hadn't sided with the also-ran. I played EQ2, but they made a lot of changes starting about a year or two in that made it much better than it had been at launch. Just in time for everyone to have started playing WoW. And it was coded to be extremely CPU-dependent rather than GPU-dependent. And it just had higher requirements in general than WoW. The only real advantage it had was that it had a basic combo-type system, although I'm not sure it even has that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Irradiation posted:

When I worked at a grocery store I once had an old man yell at me because we weren't carrying the old 7-up anymore. All they did was change the labeling.

People get really upset at changing the slightest things they like.

We've had people ring up to complain that we've ruined the recipe when making a oroduct gluten-free and it tastes bad now.
The product has always been gluten-free. We just started putting that on the label.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
RE: Mt.Dew kickstart

I still think the commercial sucked and was a blatant rip off. As for its success, perhaps it's just not doing so well here in GA (Coca-Cola country I guess) but I've just watched it get marked down and still have shelves full of the stuff. Speaking of disingenuous commercials, the Taco Bell biscuit taco one bothers me. When that foodie hipster guy goes "Im not a spokesman for the south" (or whatever) I audibly groaned oh shut the gently caress up. I get what they are trying to do (I think) make some weird concept food seem adventurous and different but I have no more desire to try it before and after I saw the commercial.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What's interesting is that Diet Coke still uses the new Coke formula because new Coke was based on it and people get really pissed every time they try and change Diet Coke.

That's why they made Coke Zero. If New Coke was Diet Coke + sugar/HFCS, then Coke Zero is Coca-Cola + artificial sweetener.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've always preferred the taste of Diet Coke to normal Coke. Maybe I would've been one of those outcasts who preferred New Coke in the long term. Although aren't all Cokes different in the US vs UK or something? Or is that Mexico?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think Coke in Mexico uses real cane sugar, or something along those lines. It's supposed to be baller.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

RE: Mt.Dew kickstart

I still think the commercial sucked and was a blatant rip off. As for its success, perhaps it's just not doing so well here in GA (Coca-Cola country I guess) but I've just watched it get marked down and still have shelves full of the stuff. Speaking of disingenuous commercials, the Taco Bell biscuit taco one bothers me. When that foodie hipster guy goes "Im not a spokesman for the south" (or whatever) I audibly groaned oh shut the gently caress up. I get what they are trying to do (I think) make some weird concept food seem adventurous and different but I have no more desire to try it before and after I saw the commercial.

what's the deal with your weird vendetta against pepsi

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think Coke in Mexico uses real cane sugar, or something along those lines. It's supposed to be baller.

Confirmed. The MexiCokes are delicious.

Nostradingus posted:

what's the deal with your weird vendetta against pepsi

For some people, the cola wars never ended.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've always preferred the taste of Diet Coke to normal Coke. Maybe I would've been one of those outcasts who preferred New Coke in the long term. Although aren't all Cokes different in the US vs UK or something? Or is that Mexico?

Mexican Cola is a premium product in the US where they can charge plenty for a single bottle because it has real sugar in it. Versus Pepsi that makes their 'Throwback' line of sodas with real sugar for the same price as their other sodas.

What's funny is that in Poland (possibly elsewhere in Europe) all Coke and Pepsi products have real sugar in them, nothing has HFCS. And they taste so much better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As far as I know, it's only in the US where they use HFCS more than cane sugar, because the American corn lobby is so strong.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

As far as I know, it's only in the US where they use HFCS more than cane sugar, because the American corn lobby is so strong.

Yeah, I think we use sugar here in the UK too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Yeah my country's fetish for HFCS is weird. It tastes bad and they put it in goddamn everything. It'll be in the water supply once they don't know what to do with it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Most sweeteners taste weird, only this new green coke seems ok flavour wise without sugar.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It IS baller. Its kind of sad that we don't have it as a standard that we use sugar here in the US

It really does taste better to me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Both that and higher sugar tariffs in the US.

The largest difference is from the 80's - late 90's, which I believe is when most producers switched to using mostly HFCS over cane sugar.

But yeah, I am still baffled why Coke never released their version of "Coke Throwback" with all cane sugar like Pepsi did. Especially since they already have bottling plants that MAKE all cane sugar Coke.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the last two years I've seen an uptick of coke/orange fanta/sprite in glass bottles with signs that say they're from Mexico or some poo poo with pure cane sugar. They cost a premium but they're tasty. When I saw that new variant of Coke "Natural" or whatever that has sugar but also splenda (I loving hate splenda and all artificial sweeteners like them) I was genuinely ticked.

Sadly Pepsi did a line of new throwback with Cherry and Vanilla sub-flavors and it doesn't taste as good as original throwback to me :smith:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Doesn't Kosher Coke also use real sugar? I think they sell it around Passover in some parts of the US.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They released Jones Soda here in Australia and apart from the Grape and Bubblegum flavours it was like, what's the point? :shrug:

We have cane sugar Coke here but they still sell it in glass bottles too. They just got around to launching Coke Life here (35% Stevia junk).
Glass > Can > Plastic. We get these bad boys too:

34oz~ Glass-bottled Coke :heysexy:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

In the last two years I've seen an uptick of coke/orange fanta/sprite in glass bottles with signs that say they're from Mexico or some poo poo with pure cane sugar. They cost a premium but they're tasty. When I saw that new variant of Coke "Natural" or whatever that has sugar but also splenda (I loving hate splenda and all artificial sweeteners like them) I was genuinely ticked.

Sadly Pepsi did a line of new throwback with Cherry and Vanilla sub-flavors and it doesn't taste as good as original throwback to me :smith:

I don't know about Natural, but I know Coke is test marketing a version with Stevia. I switched to stevia years ago for tea and such.
It did take me three brands before I found one that didnt have a weird taste though. Still, better than sugar, at least.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Croccers posted:

They released Jones Soda here in Australia and apart from the Grape and Bubblegum flavours it was like, what's the point? :shrug:

It's good soda? I think their basic cola has a good mix of general sweetness and the cola flavor that most sodas mess up.

Maybe you guys have a better soda game, though, I dunno.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Geokinesis posted:

Most sweeteners taste weird, only this new green coke seems ok flavour wise without sugar.

It's half sugar, half stevia. A can of Coca-Cola Life (speaking of dumb moves in marketing, who came up with that name?) has 90 calories, vs. 140 in a regular can.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kakairo posted:

It's half sugar, half stevia. A can of Coca-Cola Life (speaking of dumb moves in marketing, who came up with that name?) has 90 calories, vs. 140 in a regular can.

Coke is trying anything to grab new customers is why it's named that and painted green. Suppose they hope that people go 'must be good for you and good for the planet!'
While hoping that people forget it's dietary contribution is still empty calories.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KakerMix posted:

Coke is trying anything to grab new customers is why it's named that and painted green. Suppose they hope that people go 'must be good for you and good for the planet!'
While hoping that people forget it's dietary contribution is still empty calories.

More likely it's for people who stopped drinking Coke yet still want Coke enough to fool themselves into thinking this one's okay now because at least it isn't normal Coke and it's better than Coke Zero.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tbh i think that glass bottles make a bigger difference than the sweetener used. Glass is non reactive so it doesn't change the taste but soda in plastic always tastes a little like its bottle to me.

Anyway i thought that the marketing for Dead Space(?) that showed "moms" being disgusted by it falling flat was pretty funny. Its like when mcdonalds marketed one of its burgers as being for ~*adults*~ by showing kids calling it yucky.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Humboldt Squid posted:

Anyway i thought that the marketing for Dead Space(?) that showed "moms" being disgusted by it falling flat was pretty funny. Its like when mcdonalds marketed one of its burgers as being for ~*adults*~ by showing kids calling it yucky.

It was Dead Space 2.

I only remember that because my mom saw that commercial and said "Hey, is that a horror game? It looks cool." Now that's failed marketing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Doesn't Kosher Coke also use real sugar? I think they sell it around Passover in some parts of the US.

Yes, confirmed. Passover Coke is a wondrous thing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Maybe I am broken from drinking HFCS soda, but whenever I drink real sugar soda I find it tastes more similar to diet soda than regular HFCS stuff.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

It was Dead Space 2.

I only remember that because my mom saw that commercial and said "Hey, is that a horror game? It looks cool." Now that's failed marketing.

I never played it but I always liked that ad.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Soda sales are hurting. I remember reading about that dumb new coke/pepsi variant, and I may be wrong but it might only be in certain markets for now. It's a dumb idea, half a soda is still a lot of sugar.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Coke actually tried to present their product with a "myth busting" "check the facts" style advert here in Australia, which was aimed at the guilty mums demographic.
The myths brought up included the "Coke has cocaine in it" that sat alongside claims that Coke cannot cause tooth decay or make you fat or has loads of caffeine - a fact skewed with comparing Diet Coke's caffeine level with that of tea or coffee.

The idea they were going for was that Coke could be enjoyed in moderation, but the ad completely ignored the general impact Coke had on kids. Coke ate humble pie and printed a new ad apologizing for the mess.

It didn't do the actress who spruiked it much good either as the copy had her sons mentioned in there so she was painted as a sellout after the paycheck ($70,000).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I used to know a guy who worked on the assembly lines at a Soda plant and honestly the biggest thing that changes how soda tastes is how long it's left in a warehouse. He would sometimes bring home soda that was fresh off the line and it's crazy how different Mountain Dew tastes when it's fresh, it's like a whole different soda. He would also get huge cases of fuckup soda where they messed up and made things too sugary, or too carbonated or something. One time I got an entire case of Slice that was 2-3x as carbonated as normal sodas. Not only do they sound like goddamn grenades when you open them, they also tasted better for some reason.

He also revealed to me the dark secret of store brand sodas. They make those as well as Coke and Pepsi (technically the plant was owned by Pepsi but it bottled all the sodas) and both those companies have agreements that they aren't allowed to use their formulas to make other soda, so when it came time to make the store brand cola they would just fiddle random nobs on the control panel by 1-10% in either direction. So the Safeway Cola would literally just be coke with 10% more sugar and slightly less carbonation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I used to know a guy who worked on the assembly lines at a Soda plant and honestly the biggest thing that changes how soda tastes is how long it's left in a warehouse. He would sometimes bring home soda that was fresh off the line and it's crazy how different Mountain Dew tastes when it's fresh, it's like a whole different soda. He would also get huge cases of fuckup soda where they messed up and made things too sugary, or too carbonated or something. One time I got an entire case of Slice that was 2-3x as carbonated as normal sodas. Not only do they sound like goddamn grenades when you open them, they also tasted better for some reason.

He also revealed to me the dark secret of store brand sodas. They make those as well as Coke and Pepsi (technically the plant was owned by Pepsi but it bottled all the sodas) and both those companies have agreements that they aren't allowed to use their formulas to make other soda, so when it came time to make the store brand cola they would just fiddle random nobs on the control panel by 1-10% in either direction. So the Safeway Cola would literally just be coke with 10% more sugar and slightly less carbonation.

This explains so many childhood suspicions you don't even know.

Now find a guy who works in cereal production so that I can tell my mom with certainty that yes the store brand does taste different.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mind the walrus posted:

Now find a guy who works in cereal production so that I can tell my mom with certainty that yes the store brand does taste different.

I like looking at packaging to try to find what company makes whatever store's brand products.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mind the walrus posted:

Compare the nutrition information.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, that explains why the Safeway ginger ale is the best you can get without going expensive and getting full-on ginger beer. You're supposed to taste the ginger, not just the sugar.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The grocery store here used to have a store brand natural soda, real sugar, all that stuff. Couple of flavors, cola, root beer, lemon lime, the usual. It was $1.99 for a 6-pack of 20-oz bottles and it tasted great. But no one bought it and they discontinued it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
If anyone knows a place to buy real root beer or birch beer (not that sugar water A&W and Barqs make), I will love you forever. The closest I've been able to find, outside of Amish farmers markets, is the Pennsylvania Dutch brand. Even that doesn't really have the same yeasty kick to it as true homemade root and birch beers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've never found true-blue Root Beer or Birch Beer since I've always lived far away from such places, but Boylan's makes the best creamy red I've been able to find in your average store.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Some supermarket sodas are indeed real good, not nearly as bad as you would think from a 'generic' brand, and many taste almost like the product they're trying to imitate. Stop and Shop makes a raspberry ginger ale that's delicious, tastes just like Oranzada

And RE: Birch beer, I've never had it but Foxon Park makes birch beer, however I don't know how far outside of CT they sell their products, or how it tastes

One time I got an entire case of Slice that was 2-3x as carbonated as normal sodas. Not only do they sound like goddamn grenades when you open them, they also tasted better for some reason.

One of the fun things about having a sodastream (or even back when I used an old school siphon) is just loving around with the levels of syrup and carbonation and experimenting to see how things affect the overall taste. Carbonation level does indeed have an impact on the taste. Might have something to do with the dissolving CO2 creating higher levels of carbonic acid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

hyperhazard posted:

If anyone knows a place to buy real root beer or birch beer (not that sugar water A&W and Barqs make), I will love you forever. The closest I've been able to find, outside of Amish farmers markets, is the Pennsylvania Dutch brand. Even that doesn't really have the same yeasty kick to it as true homemade root and birch beers.

The only place I know making really good authentic bottled Rootbeer and Birch Beet is a company called Wylie's and they are incredibly regional to Oregon and southern Washington. It has to do with how they are carbonated, the Amish stuff you're buying is probably carbonated with fermentation as opposed to tanked CO2. Obviously most companies don't bottle like this because once you rack your bottles you don't want it to explode or be generally unstable. AFAIK every company doing fermented sodas is extremely regional for this reason. Your best bet is to look for a brand of Root Beer called Bundaberg.