Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Krinkle posted:

Now I see there's a third book, and while I generally liked the first two, it looks like none of the cast returns, as it's even further in the future, and I feel exhausted just thinking about it. The hardest part of the dune books was when they'd go another 20k years in the future and everyone is dead but ol' duncan idaho's eleventy billionth awakened clone. I'm reflexively flinching in anticipation of that kind of deal, here.

The dune sequels are way better than endymion and rise of endymion. I freely admit that the dune sequels get progressively weirder and more esoteric, but they are far and away better than the endymion books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Can't find a suitable thread, so here we go.

Zombie lit. What's good, what must be read?

I've read the Zombie Planet series which were pretty cray and fun. I have The Girl With All the Gifts and Zone One Lined up. Anything else out there?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea, this thread told me I would hate the Endymion books, but I did enjoy them. But I'm a moron so who the hell knows.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mister Kingdom posted:

The resurrection creches - yeah, I'd love to travel FTL, but not like that.

I haven't read the Endymion books but I know of this and it is a cool concept.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Neurosis posted:

I haven't read the Endymion books but I know of this and it is a cool concept.

Is it the same idea as the vampire tubes from Blindsight? In that book they gave their space people partial vampirism, drained their blood, pumped it back in once they get to wherever they're heading. They feel like poo poo but are alive and doing science. From what I know about the cruciforms it feels like they might just kill you, freeze you, ship you out, wait for you to get there, and then allow the cruciform to revive you. I mean if you were sociopathic and didn't consider brain damage and cloacas to be a downside.

Without reading further that's my best guess for what you could be talking about.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Krinkle posted:

Is it the same idea as the vampire tubes from Blindsight? In that book they gave their space people partial vampirism, drained their blood, pumped it back in once they get to wherever they're heading. They feel like poo poo but are alive and doing science. From what I know about the cruciforms it feels like they might just kill you, freeze you, ship you out, wait for you to get there, and then allow the cruciform to revive you. I mean if you were sociopathic and didn't consider brain damage and cloacas to be a downside.

Without reading further that's my best guess for what you could be talking about.

the specialized ftl drive subjects the ship to such acceleration that it turns the human crew into paste, so only people with the cruciform parasites can use it (the cruciform just reconstitutes the human host from the resulting undifferentiated bulk material afterward).

Edit: your second point is addressed right away in endymion, the technocore comes up with some solution (maybe already had it, i forget) that prevents the loss of copy fidelity from the cruciform deaths and gives it to the space catholics who market it as the literal resurrection.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 4, 2015

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Krinkle posted:

While essentially doing the same thing (killing you for the purpose of travel and bringing you back with cool tech), what is described above is so much more visceral.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, the Archangel ships are the only cool part of Endymion and I will happily spoil them to save people from reading that book.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thehomemaster posted:

I've read the Zombie Planet series which were pretty cray and fun. I have The Girl With All the Gifts and Zone One Lined up. Anything else out there?

I don't know as far as Zombie literature, but the White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland is surprisingly good and goofy fun. In the past few years I've read three of the four books and thought they were all nice.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Nice, I'll check it out.

Though fyi literature means written works.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thehomemaster posted:

Nice, I'll check it out.

Though fyi literature means written works.

denotatively, perhaps, but we all use it connotatively here.
I also went and looked up The Girl With All The Gifts, and that sounds really neat. The nice thing about zombie books is that even if I don't end up liking it, my mom or sister will.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

thehomemaster posted:

The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z by Max Brooks are both pretty good.

vvv What? thehomemaster specifically asked for zombie books.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 4, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Please don't tell people to read a bunch of garbage zombie books, what is wrong with you

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Crashbee posted:

The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z by Max Brooks are both pretty good.

I couldn't finish World War Z. The stories didn't stand alone enough to be enjoyed individually, but didn't have enough connection to work as a novel. I couldn't make myself care about these fleshless people or events when I'm just being sent to a new POV shortly to find new people to not feel for.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
That's a fair call, but then I think you were reading it wrong.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I remember hearing back in the 80's publishers of fantasy stuff kept a seperate slush pile just for the sheer volume of 'Retelling of Arthurian tales' with a twist. Modern day, the knights are woman, space Arthur, super-gritty, Fairies!, etc etc.

They must have to do something similar for zombie novels these days.

It really baffles me how many are published. I mean i read a few zombie novels, they were fine, i moved on after that because they're pretty similar after a couple. That was in 2008.

Who's buying all of these and not getting bored with them?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

andrew smash posted:

Edit: your second point is addressed right away in endymion, the technocore comes up with some solution (maybe already had it, i forget) that prevents the loss of copy fidelity from the cruciform deaths and gives it to the space catholics who market it as the literal resurrection.

The Space Catholics made a deal to modify the cruciform. Originally it would resurrect you, but each time you came back, you'd lose some intelligence and eventually your junk.

Oh, and it takes three days to fully resurrect you. Wonder why that was....

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
The Walking Dead is like the most popular television show at the moment...

Anyway, read this http://www.city-journal.org/2014/24_4_urb-the-walking-dead.html

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

thehomemaster posted:

Daryl Gregory's Raising Stony Mayhall is an awesome book. I'm not really into zombie books, but this one's similar to Girl With All the Gifts in that it's a really good book that happens to be a zombie one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thehomemaster posted:

Handling the Undead, by John Ajvide Lindqvist (of Let The Right One In fame). Go in as cold as possible, as it's not quite what you might expect.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed the Day by Day Armageddon series by J.L. Bourne.

The Matt Richter novels are pretty awesome, by Tim Waggoner. It's a zombie detective story but he doesn't eat people. He's just sort of.. undead.

City of the Lost is pretty awesome, by Stephen Blackmoore. Best book with a psychotic midget that I have ever read.

Adam Baker has a unique zombie series. Most of the series is pretty good, but Terminus was just complete poo poo.

Joe McKinney writes some decent zombie stuff. I've only read the first 2 books, but so far they are ok. About to read one about a zombie infestation on a cruise ship. Should be interesting.

I tend to read a lot of zombie novels but 95% of em suck or just aren't worth recommending. If I think of anything else (that hasn't been mentioned already) I'll edit the post.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Not a big zombie guy but enjoyed World War Z. Found Day by Day Armageddon and its sequels to be a snooze, same with a similar series set in England (something about autumn in the title?). Brian Keene wrote some popular zombie stuff several years ago, it's quite gruesome and the outbreak is demonic rather than viral but some of the sex stuff wasn't for me (zombie-human sex and some rape I think).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Handling the Undead, by John Ajvide Lindqvist (of Let The Right One In fame). Go in as cold as possible, as it's not quite what you might expect.
This is a very interesting book that I'd recommend to anyone with interest in the topic. It's really best not to say anything in advancec, though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Oh hey the hugo nominations are out, let's see who got a nod:

quote:

BEST NOVELLA (1083 ballots)

Big Boys Don’t Cry by Tom Kratman (Castalia House)
“Flow” by Arlan Andrews, Sr. (Analog, Nov 2014)
One Bright Star to Guide Them by John C. Wright (Castalia House)
“Pale Realms of Shade” by John C. Wright (The Book of Feasts & Seasons, Castalia House)
“The Plural of Helen of Troy” by John C. Wright (City Beyond Time: Tales of the Fall of Metachronopolis, Castalia House)

BEST EDITOR (SHORT FORM) (870 ballots)
Jennifer Brozek
Vox Day
Mike Resnick
Edmund R. Schubert
Bryan Thomas Schmidt

BEST EDITOR (LONG FORM) (712 ballots)
Vox Day
Sheila Gilbert
Jim Minz
Anne Sowards
Toni Weisskopf

CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER (851 ballots)

Award for the best new professional science fiction or fantasy writer of 2013 or 2014, sponsored by Dell Magazines (not a Hugo Award).

Wesley Chu *
Jason Cordova
Kary English *
Rolf Nelson
Eric. S. Raymond

That's a pretty severe 'what the gently caress'.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
John C. Wright, even though he's an insane turbo-fundie, is a decent writer, at least. I find him getting three nominations out of five amusing, actually. It's the other side of the endless Scalzi/McGuire nomination circlejerk coin in that it shows how poo poo Hugo procedure actually is.

They're really shooting themselves in the foot with Vox Day, though.

EDIT:

quote:

BEST NOVEL (1827 ballots)

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin J. Anderson (Tor Books)
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (Sarah Monette) (Tor Books)
Lines of Departure by Marko Kloos (47North)
Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Roc Books)

Lol. I like The Goblin Emperor, at least?

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 4, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's one light in the darkness: Dramatic Presentation (Short Form) isn't >50% Doctor Who.

Something like half the ballot being based on a troll block vote isn't very good for their credibility though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Peel posted:

Something like half the ballot being based on a troll block vote isn't very good for their credibility though.

It's gonna be funny to see "No award" win half the ballot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Why is Vox Day bad? is it just an entire company or something?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Drifter posted:

Why is Vox Day bad? is it just an entire company or something?

Enjoy, or don't: http://voxday.blogspot.com/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Vox Day is fundamentalist Baptist writer Theodore Beale. He believes black people are subhuman, made veiled threats to kill NK Jemisin, stands for the eradication of women's rights, and so on. He's part of a block voting group called Sad Puppies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahahaha. Whoa lordy I read some of that blog and boy howdy what a doozy of a muffin.

I don't know why Jim Butcher is on that best novel list.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Vox Day has been a rallying point for people mad about 'SJWs' in SFF for a while (he was ejected from the SFWA a couple years ago, but even before that). I honestly don't know why, there's gotta be better hills to die on than an actual white supremacist.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

thehomemaster posted:

John Ringo's zombie books (Under a Graveyard Sky, etc...) aren't bad, actually. Very John Ringo- the villains are ecoterrorists, and the good guys are international banks and halliburton- but not bad.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Drifter posted:

Ahahaha. Whoa lordy I read some of that blog and boy howdy what a doozy of a muffin.

I don't know why Jim Butcher is on that best novel list.

He (along with Anderson and Kloos for Best Novel, and lots of nominees in the other categories) was part of the 'Sad Puppy' slate: https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/sad-puppies-3-the-2015-hugo-slate/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Peel posted:

Vox Day has been a rallying point for people mad about 'SJWs' in SFF for a while (he was ejected from the SFWA a couple years ago, but even before that). I honestly don't know why, there's gotta be better hills to die on than an actual white supremacist.

"SJW"s are censoring everybody these days: http://nihilistic-kid.livejournal.com/1920691.html

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Megazver posted:

John C. Wright, even though he's an insane turbo-fundie, is a decent writer, at least. I find him getting three nominations out of five amusing, actually

"Castalia House" is apparently Vox Day's imprint.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fritz posted:

He (along with Anderson and Kloos for Best Novel, and lots of nominees in the other categories) was part of the 'Sad Puppy' slate: https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/sad-puppies-3-the-2015-hugo-slate/

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form)
“The Lego Movie” – Phil Lord, Christopher Miller
“Guardians of the Galaxy” – James Gunn
“Interstellar” – Christopher Nolan
“The Maze Runner” – Wes Ball

hahaha holy poo poo

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form)
“The Lego Movie” – Phil Lord, Christopher Miller
“Guardians of the Galaxy” – James Gunn
“Interstellar” – Christopher Nolan
“The Maze Runner” – Wes Ball

hahaha holy poo poo

Four of them made it onto the ballot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fritz posted:

Four of them made it onto the ballot.

i want to live in a world where the maze runner somehow gets a hugo award and people have to live with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The Hugos are were a joke now.