Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Sims 4 also has the major advantage we've talked about where you don't spend literally 25 minutes loading and then deciding that you don't want to play The Sims any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sims 4 is the superior game on every metric, unless you really want to drop like a hundred bucks and get a huge shovelful of buggy love potion brewing and zombie alien crossbreeds and whatever else the gently caress Sims 3 was at the end of its life.

Just the loading times alone make me prefer Sims 4, it loads like a dream and plays like a modern game. Sims 3 always felt like some kind of tech demo to me.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The only thing remotely like Sims 3 that's still worth playing is The Sims Medieval.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Don't take the fact there's more content in Sims 3 to be a plus. There's too much content. There's just too much to do that you can get overwhelmed and then do nothing, or you get tired of it loading for 20 minutes and you decide to not play anymore. Or the game freezes and then you need to wait another 20 minutes for it to load if lucky, and you didn't save in that past 30 minutes did you?

The performance improvements alone make Sims 4 the better game. The new careers added in Get to Work are miles ahead of anything in any previous Sims title. The store system in Open for Business for Sims 2 was better, and retail seems more like an afterthought than fully fleshed out. But it's better than the retail in the equivalent Sims 3 content.

Everything Sims 4 does is better than Sims 3 does. It's the better game.

Now for regular stuff.
-
The mod that attempts to add story progression does an okay job. Better than the vanilla system of doing nothing. Again, the link is http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

Yeah, it can make sims for you rather than what the basic vanilla system does. You need to turn that on in the configuration files. It will remove ghosts for you only if a household is only ghosts. It will move all old sims into their own household instead of having them clutter up your homes. It will move Sims into empty homes. It will let sims get pregnant and married so they can continue to have a life rather than just fading into obscurity after doing absolutely nothing and dying old in their homes.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

SkySteak posted:

Thanks for the help. My issue with that though is that 'Not as much content'' makes me feel like I should just pick up 3 with all the content and patches there. What seems to constantly happen with the Sims 4 is that you run into talk of it taking features out that 3 and reselling those features at a premium.

Not trying to whine but I am just wondering why I shouldn't just buy 3 and a few of its expansions and as opposed to just 4 on its own?

sims 4 had a really bad release where there were obvious things not yet implemented into the game and everyone assumed that they were just gonna nickel-and-dime the gently caress out of buyers. it turned out that maxis instead released that missing content as free patches. sims 4 runs a lot better than sims 3 and the emotion system is a pretty big upgrade imo. sure, there aren't pets or university or seasons yet but what you have is a lot better. besides, it's going to cost you like 300 dollars for all that extra content on an obsolete platform

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

We've gone over it enough already, but it's worth the rehash: The Sims 3 is sunk-cost for those of us who have it. Some of the stuff was pretty rad (Looking at you, Into the Future), but the thing that stuff was build on ran like a pig. On the other hand, the Sims 4 will be getting the same treatment as that is how the Sims franchise works, only The Sims 4 has been engineered with that in mind from the get-go, with a back end designed for the streamlined loading of eight expansions worth of crap, and all the other poo poo we like to throw at it.

Another way to put it: The Sims 3 is a 6 year old game, and runs like a 6 year old computer.

Buy 4, don't look back.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I mentioned The Sims Medieval and I DEMAND respect for it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Lizard Wizard posted:

Medieval is fun for like a week, then you've seen everything it has to offer.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Honestly I think the only major thing 3 has that 4 doesn't have a decent replacement for is Create a Style, and considering its popularity, I'd be surprised if there isn't eventually something like that in the works.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Dad Jokes posted:

Honestly I think the only major thing 3 has that 4 doesn't have a decent replacement for is Create a Style, and considering its popularity, I'd be surprised if there isn't eventually something like that in the works.

story progression. Even EA was talking about maybe exploring it in the future. Adding careers to non-playing Sims was a step in the right direction, so not everyone you met was unemployed. They are all still single.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Lizard Wizard posted:

I love that game, I never uninstall it because one day I will beat all the challenges. I think I average a play through every 6 months now.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

FIND YOUR OWN BED DAMNIT, or my colleagues, DO SOMETHING. Lead them to a bed. I feel like my Sim is the only one who works in the hospital.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

FIND YOUR OWN BED DAMNIT, or my colleagues, DO SOMETHING. Lead them to a bed. I feel like my Sim is the only one who works in the hospital.

Sounds like Theme Hospital rage.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

marjorie posted:

Sounds like Theme Hospital rage.

Combine Get To Work with that head size slider unlocker mod someone made to make a Bloated Head disease mod.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well it's more like your sims are the only ones that do anything in detective or medical. The other sims just sit there doing nothing. Even if you go to a crime scene, the other officers do nothing except get in your way. If only you could abandon a case. I had a sim who had to find a grey haired woman wearing slacks, but when I asked people on the lot they said it was a man. No old women even showed up at all. Even when sims pointed them out I saw nothing and made false arrests.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SkySteak posted:

I saw a lot of griping about how little there was in 'Back to Work', IE only 3 major new jobs.

While this is true, what isn't mentioned is how they added in two new jobs for free in December. And they just recently added in basements for free.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Fair enough. The only reason I mentioned content, is that I saw a lot of people saying basically: '4 is a step back from 2/3 in terms of what there generally is'. Is that true beyond expansion pack stuff in anyway or is it just people whining?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Fair enough. The only reason I mentioned content, is that I saw a lot of people saying basically: '4 is a step back from 2/3 in terms of what there generally is'. Is that true beyond expansion pack stuff in anyway or is it just people whining?

pwnyXpress posted:

How many times do you need your question answered? It sounds like you have already convinced yourself that 3 is a better value, so go ahead and buy it if you aren't going to listen to the answers above. Just don't come whining when you realize how "more content" is irrelevant if the end result is a bloated and literally unplayable mess.

Buy Sims 4 at 50% off now and hold off on the expansion till a sale on that if you are really so concerned about value. EA's support of this game is uncharacteristically good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Do    you    know    what    time    it    is?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SkySteak posted:

People have literally answered this question fifty times already, for gently caress's sake

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Scientist career is free money. Make the cloning device, then make a Need Fixer serum, then clone that for over $1000 a pop. You may as well spam 'motherlode' and actually cheat at that point.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

Scientist career is free money. Make the cloning device, then make a Need Fixer serum, then clone that for over $1000 a pop. You may as well spam 'motherlode' and actually cheat at that point.

How much could you sell it for at the retail store?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

SkySteak posted:

A lot of people are comparing end-life Sims 2/Sims 3 with fifteen billion expansions and add-ons to base game Sims 4. It was lacking features at launch and there's still some issues that I'd really wish they'd change (teenagers being the same height and completely indistinguishable from adults) but as it is now, with all the patches, base game Sims 4 is a better and more polished base game Sims 2, and the only real differences between Sims 4 and base game Sims 3 is the lack of story progression (missed, but I had to use a outside mod since EA story progression barely worked the way they claimed it would), open world (which I would had missed if it actually felt like other sims were actually living in the neighborhood), and Create-a-Style (definitely missed, but one of the biggest culprits in making the game run like poo poo and loading up CASt made the game chug for several minutes every time).

The Sims 3 really was fun for the first few expansions, but if you're like me and bought the expansions and all the stuff packs, it's literally unplayable and I don't have a lovely computer. When people tell you about half an hour load times, they weren't exaggerating at all.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Sims 3 essentially benefited from being the most current Sims game in a genre with no competition. I played hundreds of hours of it, with almost all of the expansions eventually, and liked it well enough, but that doesn't mean that it's a worthwhile purchase outside of its own vacuum. With the existence of Sims 4, Sims 3 can be safely ignored. Sims 4 is a more stable, faster, and basically more fun game in every respect.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Splash Attack posted:

-Sims Stuff-

OK that explains it, thank you. If I like it enough I think it'd probably pick up Back to Work when it goes on a sale.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Socially awkward? Me? Nah!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

:stare: Is that....bubble wrap?

I'm tempted to buy this mainly for the retail stuff especially the bakery. Open For Business was my fave expansion pack ever. I'm guessing Get to Work is not as well rounded as OFB and it's mostly concentrating on the 3 new careers?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Noirex posted:

:stare: Is that....bubble wrap?

I'm tempted to buy this mainly for the retail stuff especially the bakery. Open For Business was my fave expansion pack ever. I'm guessing Get to Work is not as well rounded as OFB and it's mostly concentrating on the 3 new careers?

They're frozen with the Ray Gun that you can develop if you're a Scientist. You can also use it to transform any other object into another random object and make other sims change clothes into whatever you want them to.

Get To Work also has the Retail stuff and Aliens, by the way, in addition to the 3 main careers.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
No, it's the freeze ray. You can make it in the scientist career.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

It had the most wonderful Create-a-Sim section, so easy and intuitive, compared to Sims 3, and people came out looking like individual people, instead of dough-faced pudding-creatures.

Plus, I liked creating a little Game of Thrones/How to Train Your Dragon mashup world. Spent ages in that world, fine-tuning it, then used Hiccup to slay Queen Cersei in one of the quests when the kingdom went downhill under her tyrannical rule. Which is sadly not how the real Game of Thrones will turn out, but was quite remarkably good fun.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lady Naga posted:

Do    you    know    what    time    it    is?

:allears: Those traits.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I was going to wait until it got a Mod The Sims page to post it here but since they're slow fuckers here's a Mediafire link

https://www.mediafire.com/?kpk46liy69xz5be

Noirex
May 30, 2006

FYI GMG has a 22% off voucher (SAVE22-OVERHO-LIDAYS) that brings GTW to to about $30.

I'm going to get it and make me a mad scientist!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

I was going to wait until it got a Mod The Sims page to post it here but since they're slow fuckers here's a Mediafire link

https://www.mediafire.com/?kpk46liy69xz5be

What is this?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lizard Wizard posted:

What is this?

The mask, jacket and pants I made for the Jacket screenshot above.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Irisi posted:

dough-faced pudding-creatures.

That right there is the #1 reason I could not go back to The Sims 3 after playing the Sims 4. My computer is a powerhouse, so the performance of 3 isn't an issue. But the aesthetics of The Sims 3...ugh. The Sims in the Sims 4 just looks so much better all around. The only options with how Sims would look in 3 was either the dough-faced pudding creatures, or the fan-alternative "Plastic Surgery Beach Girl Creepy Doll".

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I already liked the "events" system they put in place for Sims 4 dates (even if that is an evolution from Late Night's dates, Ambitions and Sims Medieval), but after playing a day as a doctor in :backtowork: I think I'd pay an extra for a journalist career DLC or for stuff like gaming tournaments, sports tournaments...

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
One of my characters receieved an easter egg.

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/v3FK3fc.jpg.

This game :allears:

Edit: Apparently you can trigger it by harvesting plants, but I found two from wild plants.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 5, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

limaCAT posted:

One of my characters receieved an easter egg.

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/v3FK3fc.jpg.

This game :allears:

Edit: Apparently you can trigger it by harvesting plants, but I found two from wild plants.

They have them this month as a collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
If I bought a GMG key from the US site for the expansion, but am in the UK, would it work?