Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

So apparently the 5th book is completely in a different time with all new cast? kinda tempted to skip it and continue with characters already introduced

Do not skip. It's jarring, but there's reason and some of the characters introduced may end up being your favorites by the time it's done.

Also he connects everything starting in like book 7 and you will be confused.

It never fails to surprise me how internet fans miss who you're supposed to feel sorry for.

Some people can't handle a character that isn't their aspirational wish fulfillment in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Does Crokus ever become interesting? I can't tell why or if I'm supposed to care about him. [halfway through Deadhouse Gates]

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ross posted:

Does Crokus ever become interesting? I can't tell why or if I'm supposed to care about him. [halfway through Deadhouse Gates]

No, but his friends are neat. Murillo. Grey Frog. Rallick.

Thats it I think.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Confident statement. Greyfrog is awesome.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yedan definitely climbed a ridiculous amount in my tiers afterrrrr Toll The Hounds? Whatever one it is.

the moment where the tiste liosan are watching the rent and the dragon head comes flying back through is probably in the top 3 moments of the series

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I just got my copy of Deadhouse Gates today. Don't think I've ever read a book shaped like this before, tiny surface area but almost a thousand pages thick.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

krampster2 posted:

I just got my copy of Deadhouse Gates today. Don't think I've ever read a book shaped like this before, tiny surface area but almost a thousand pages thick.

I have the paperback and it's pretty annoying to read. I feel like the margins are very narrow and it makes the inner bit of of each page nearest the spine very difficult visually/mechanically to read.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Habibi posted:

Confident statement. Greyfrog is awesome.

If the current OP title wasn't already perfect, this would be an awesome one.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
10% into The Crippled God, I'm realizing that one of Erickson's talents is allowing the reader to suspend their disbelief. Many of his characters and events are, at their face, patently absurd. Somehow, they still work, and make a great story.

To that end, I'm starting to think the OP should be updated with a list of the fun, over-the-top things in this series. Here's my first go at such a list. Feel free to hack it up, make additions, corrections, etc.

Full disclosure: I've shamelessly ripped many of these from this thread, and can't be troubled to go back and cite them properly.

• Undead space velociraptors with swords for arms
  • Genocidal cavemen
  • Crucified dragons
  • Magical rap battles
  • Insect Stukas
  • Anonymous mask-wearing samurai
  • Demon monkeys
  • Pinocchio as an evil wizard
  • Card games that change the world
  • An undead, deadly lapdog
  • A city in the shape of a dragon
  • Others?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
a scene where a grown man and dimension hopping badass in the company of a near Goddess becomes a space velociraptor broodmother's teddy bear that somehow manages to be comedic, sad, and horrifying all at once.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

a scene where a grown man and dimension hopping badass in the company of a near Goddess becomes a space velociraptor broodmother's teddy bear that somehow manages to be comedic, sad, and horrifying all at once.

In other words: Barney the purple dinosaur meets the gimp scene from Pulp Fiction.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

10% into The Crippled God, I'm realizing that one of Erickson's talents is allowing the reader to suspend their disbelief. Many of his characters and events are, at their face, patently absurd. Somehow, they still work, and make a great story.

To that end, I'm starting to think the OP should be updated with a list of the fun, over-the-top things in this series. Here's my first go at such a list. Feel free to hack it up, make additions, corrections, etc.

Full disclosure: I've shamelessly ripped many of these from this thread, and can't be troubled to go back and cite them properly.

• Undead space velociraptors with swords for arms
  • Genocidal cavemen
  • Crucified dragons
  • Magical rap battles
  • Insect Stukas
  • Anonymous mask-wearing samurai
  • Demon monkeys
  • Pinocchio as an evil wizard
  • Card games that change the world
  • An undead, deadly lapdog
  • A city in the shape of a dragon
  • Others?

The best part of this is when basically all of them (end TCG)team up to win the final battle against mind-controlled humans and their multi-limbed screaming overlords. Or that if asked, I'd tell people my favourite fantasy battle involved (DoD) an army of ultra-disciplined lizard warriors with tesla coil weapons fighting medieval-era humans using modern infantry tactics and grenades... who eventually retreat and are avenged by the "good" space lizards controlled psychically by two humans who previously rode a boat on top of an undead dragon through the fire dimension and are saved at the last minute by two children who blow up evil flying pyramids.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just finished TCG. Wow. It's always sad when I finish a book series. At least there's still the spinoff books, though. I still want to see Leoman and Kallor get their comeuppance.

They never said what Ruthan Gudd's deal was. Anyone care to explain?

Why did Karsa smashing an altar kill Fener?

Was it supposed to be a good thing that Cotillion stabbed the Crippled God?

Also, I still don't get why the Bonehunters had to cross the Glass Desert and resurrect the Crippled God there. They even explicitly stated that his body wasn't located at the barrow they fought on.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 2, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eschatos posted:

Just finished TCG. Wow. It's always sad when I finish a book series. At least there's still the spinoff books, though. I still want to see Leoman and Kallor get their comeuppance.

They never said what Ruthan Gudd's deal was. Anyone care to explain?

Why did Karsa smashing an altar kill Fener?

Was it supposed to be a good thing that Cotillion stabbed the Crippled God?

Also, I still don't get why the Bonehunters had to cross the Glass Desert and resurrect the Crippled God there. They even explicitly stated that his body wasn't located at the barrow they fought on.

1) No, hasn't been explained yet, as far as I am aware.
2) IIRC, I think all of that just created a portal while Fener was manifesting over the battle, and Karsa killed him through it
3) Opinions are divided. Personally, I think there are enough hints dropped and explicitly stated that ST/Cotillion were trying to free him, and killing his body was the only way to free his actual being to travel back to his world and leave Wu the hell alone (numerous precedents for which exist in the series). Some people think they just straight up killed him.
4) As I see it, because his heart was in the possession of the Forkrul in whatever that kingdom was, and chances were, they weren't going to be able to get it back without a lot of fighting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

I'd argue that the second one got that aplenty, as for the first... you wish.
You'll wish even more once you actually read the ICE books.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

2) IIRC, I think all of that just created a portal while Fener was manifesting over the battle, and Karsa killed him through it

Fener was in some way summoned by Gesler and Stormy, but I actually don't see how considering he became corporeal to avoid Heboric. Maybe he was also after the Crippled Gods heart?

Habibi posted:

3) Opinions are divided. Personally, I think there are enough hints dropped and explicitly stated that ST/Cotillion were trying to free him, and killing his body was the only way to free his actual being to travel back to his world and leave Wu the hell alone (numerous precedents for which exist in the series). Some people think they just straight up killed him.

Pretty much the way I see it as well.

Habibi posted:

4) As I see it, because his heart was in the possession of the Forkrul in whatever that kingdom was, and chances were, they weren't going to be able to get it back without a lot of fighting.

That doesn't explain why they have to cross the Glass desert, considering Brys, the K'Chain Ch'Malle and the Bolkando went around it. The explanation seems to be more of the questing kind, where the Bonehunters have to find the Snake and thus D'rek. D'rek plays a role in the rechaining of Korabas and the manifestation of the Crippled God. Also, I am wondering whether there is anything special in that last scene where Koryk gets more or less captured by the Crippled Gods smile before Cotillon stabs him?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eschatos posted:

I still want to see Leoman and Kallor get their comeuppance.

I think that Kallor's going to end up doing something heroic. "And.... may you one day show your true self. May you, one day, be redeemed in the eyes of the world."

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Fener was in some way summoned by Gesler and Stormy, but I actually don't see how considering he became corporeal to avoid Heboric. Maybe he was also after the Crippled Gods heart?

Not quite from what I recall. Fener was summoned by Heboric, but was able to hide himself instead of being summoned over a battle - which is what happened when Gesler and Stormy summoned him with entreaties. I believe it's related to his relative decline - at that point in the series he has relatively few worshippers so their entreaties have more of an effect on him than they would have otherwise. Karsa destroying an artifact which... I believe was created from some of his physical remains killed him due to his vulnerable status

e: also apparently I'm the only that has some sympathy for Kallor by the end of the series. For all that he's a mass murdering sociopath with an overweening need for power he just can't catch a break. He also undergoes some development which is nice, though not nearly as much as Karsa.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 2, 2015

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

[spoiler] That doesn't explain why they have to cross the Glass desert, considering Brys, the K'Chain Ch'Malle and the Bolkando went around it. The explanation seems to be more of the questing kind, where the Bonehunters have to find the Snake and thus D'rek. D'rek plays a role in the rechaining of Korabas and the manifestation of the Crippled God. Also, I am wondering whether there is anything special in that last scene where Koryk gets more or less captured by the Crippled Gods smile before Cotillon stabs him?

Re: TCG, crossing the Glass Desert - She had a double objective of a) retrieving the heart and b) resurrecting the Crippled God far away from the Akhrast Korvalain gate, the Forkrul Assail's main army, and in a safe place for all the ravens to converge. Korabas also played a role in the freeing of Kaminsod and if she and the hundreds(thousands?) of eleint had come upon the battle at the spire poo poo would've went downhill for the good guys fast (Otataral doesn't negate elder magic), so had to be brought to the middle of nowhere. It's a pretty muddy plan but it probably makes sense somewhere in there, also serves as a badass way to have both a final epic battle and a last stand pyrrhic victory for the finale.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baudin posted:

He also undergoes some development which is nice, though not nearly as much as Karsa.

I still find myself surprised by just how much I ended up liking Karsa after nearly being turned off of the series as a whole by his intro chapter. It was so different in tone, and it's not that he was badly written, it's that I had just attempted Rothfuss' lovely excuse for literature and then suddenly Karsa was the biggest total badass in the world who was so full of himself, and awesome and everything he did was amazing, and I nearly just put the book down and gave up on fantasy literature as a thing I used to read as a kid.

Though that's more of a testament to just how completely and unforgivably awful Rothfuss is than anything to do with the Malazan stuff.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

I still find myself surprised by just how much I ended up liking Karsa after nearly being turned off of the series as a whole by his intro chapter.

His introduction was the single more jarring section of the series for me, by a long shot. It makes sense once you see where Erikson goes with it, but man is it a rough ride to start.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Baudin posted:

His introduction was the single more jarring section of the series for me, by a long shot. It makes sense once you see where Erikson goes with it, but man is it a rough ride to start.

It's the first time the reader is reading from the point of view of the "noble savage.". If you're reading the series in order, a casual reader may still think well of the Barghast at that point.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I loved Karsa's intro. Y'all are weird.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

After having some time to think about it, there are some pretty major plot lines left unresolved. Like, aren't all of the remaining Eleint loose to do whatever they want?

And seriously, the Errant gets away without any consequences?

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 2, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Habibi posted:

People are reacting to the character. Intro Karsa is quite a terrible person.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It also really breaks the pace the first time you're reading. I was pretty drat disappointed by not getting straight to the war in Raraku and instead having to read all about the misadventures of some barbarian rear end in a top hat.
But I'll freely admit I never cared much for Karsa. Still don't.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

acumen posted:

Re: TCG, crossing the Glass Desert - She had a double objective of a) retrieving the heart and b) resurrecting the Crippled God far away from the Akhrast Korvalain gate, the Forkrul Assail's main army, and in a safe place for all the ravens to converge. Korabas also played a role in the freeing of Kaminsod and if she and the hundreds(thousands?) of eleint had come upon the battle at the spire poo poo would've went downhill for the good guys fast (Otataral doesn't negate elder magic), so had to be brought to the middle of nowhere. It's a pretty muddy plan but it probably makes sense somewhere in there, also serves as a badass way to have both a final epic battle and a last stand pyrrhic victory for the finale.

How could anyone have known what was going to happen with Korabas and the Eleint? It was a secret between Kilmandaros, Sechul Lath, and the Errant up until they freed Korabas.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Eschatos posted:

How could anyone have known what was going to happen with Korabas and the Eleint? It was a secret between Kilmandaros, Sechul Lath, and the Errant up until they freed Korabas.

Theoretically via the prophetic means allowed for in the series, ie Deck of Dragons. Folks could have anticipated that the elder gods are spiteful dicks and would have said "gently caress it burn it all down". But yeah it's a stretch.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

anilEhilated posted:

I'd also argue that Crokus' level of badassery is actually very, very low (and it's better that way). The whole Cutter thing is meant to be awkward.

He does manage to stick Ralleck Nom before either of them can think twice. He also kills Gorlas Vidikas, a man famous for killing people with swords, before anyone can blink. And he was no slouch fighting the Edur on Drift Avalii. He's certainly no Apsalar or Kalam, but he was probably the nastiest assassin in Darujhistan after Vorcan in TtH.

I'm smack in the middle of my first time through the Toll the Hounds convergence right now. I like Hood. I like him a whole drat lot. But then that's been the case since Beak's big scene.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You'll love Hood by the end of TCG.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zeitgueist posted:

People are reacting to the character. Intro Karsa is quite a terrible person.

That's exactly what's brilliant about it. I'd much rather have characters I personally have a problem with, than everyone being generic badasses with a heart of gold.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shockeh posted:

That's exactly what's brilliant about it. I'd much rather have characters I personally have a problem with, than everyone being generic badasses with a heart of gold.

I absolutely agree. But the intro was still a bit jarring because while I have disliked some characters in the past I just straight up hated Karsa until about midway through that book. I was almost skipping chapters, and I never do that on a first read through.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eschatos posted:

Someone had to. Korabas had to be there at the end, as (1) the whole point of Tavores' otataral sword was to summon her, and (2) her negating effect was the only thing that could have shattered TCG's chains. Point being, Errastas' plan may not have been entirely his own.

With specific regards to the Glass Desert, I believe the idea was to hide her forces, as no one believed or expected that an army was capable of crossing it.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Someone had to. Korabas had to be there at the end, as (1) the whole point of Tavores' otataral sword was to summon her, and (2) her negating effect was the only thing that could have shattered TCG's chains. Point being, Errastas' plan may not have been entirely his own.

With specific regards to the Glass Desert, I believe the idea was to hide her forces, as no one believed or expected that an army was capable of crossing it.

You also had ST/Cot setting Silchas up with the Hust Sword and recruiting those three dragons for him so he'd have some bros to help defend Korabas from the eleint. So either they were sharp enough to guess that the comically evil Errastas would seek to release Korabas or they had insider info from Mael or something.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Currently reading the end of The Bonehunters (last two or three chapters), and since I'm typing on a phone with the SA app and don't know how to mark spoilers, let me just say that I'm incredibly frustrated (in a good way), excited and awestruck.

I'm so glad that I decided to just start reading this series after I finished ASoIaF, GotM was difficult for the first half, but from the last half of it onward I've been uniformly amazed by the depth, quality and genius of every book in the series.

I'm dreading the day that I finish TCG.

Also, I've been listening to the audiobooks through the whole series, and I just want to make sure that anyone else who considers doing so makes sure to get the newer audiobooks narrated by Ralph Lister (first three, so sad that he's gone now) and Michael Page (four onward, he's got some problems with pronunciation for the fourth book, but he gets a lot better). For the love of god, do NOT get the version read by John Haag.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

"zeal" posted:

Beak
:cry:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Also, I've been listening to the audiobooks through the whole series, and I just want to make sure that anyone else who considers doing so makes sure to get the newer audiobooks narrated by Ralph Lister (first three, so sad that he's gone now) and Michael Page (four onward, he's got some problems with pronunciation for the fourth book, but he gets a lot better). For the love of god, do NOT get the version read by John Haag.

Are the John Haag ones the really amateurish ones? I assumed that was a fan or something reading them. Really bad. No sense of drama or flow and the audio quality is garbage. The Ralph Lister readings are, as you said, excellent. I was disappointed that he didn't come back for the rest. Gardens of the Moon was a little shaky but he really hit his stride with Deadhouse Gates.

Don't dread finishing TCG! It puts everything into perspective and when you go back and reread it adds multiple new layers of enjoyment. I am on my second reading of the series and enjoying it even more than the first time! And, to second a common sentiment here, Gardens of the Moon was much, much better the second time around.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

denimgorilla posted:

Are the John Haag ones the really amateurish ones? I assumed that was a fan or something reading them. Really bad. No sense of drama or flow and the audio quality is garbage. The Ralph Lister readings are, as you said, excellent. I was disappointed that he didn't come back for the rest. Gardens of the Moon was a little shaky but he really hit his stride with Deadhouse Gates.

Don't dread finishing TCG! It puts everything into perspective and when you go back and reread it adds multiple new layers of enjoyment. I am on my second reading of the series and enjoying it even more than the first time! And, to second a common sentiment here, Gardens of the Moon was much, much better the second time around.

Yeah, John Haag did the awful ones that I think are actually just for the library of congress, not actually for any commercial release (explains why he didn't even try). I actually am really looking forward to rereading, at the very least, the first two books, since those two are the only two I really feel like I missed large chunks of. Memories of Ice, what a great goddamn book; as has been said, Itkovian is an absolute badass and that entire plot with the Panion Domin just felt so disturbing, apocalyptic and (to use an extremely overused word) epic. Not that the other books are any lesser.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Habibi posted:

I was so tired of badasses with survivor guilt I was ready to give up at the end of the third book. I'd already bought the fourth and eighth and ninth so, gently caress it. Karsa was the perfect remedy, goddamn, I was so happy. Ecstatic, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Also, I refuse to live in a world where Karsa is not played by Conan Stevens and voiced by Ric Flair. :colbert: