Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

These guys are drama queens relying on FUD to make money.

Have an S6 edge? :siren: BEWARE you will have a pocket full of glass! :siren:

Give us your money and we will be happy, but :siren: you will still have a pocket full of glass!!1 :siren:

They are wise to disable comments. They know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a dumb thing to do and suggest!

Also never restart or factory reset your phone.
The clear cache and uninstall buttons are there for a reason (going back to default settings). Play services will update to needed version. This, for example, sometimes was needed when Google updated Talk to Hangouts to make Hangouts work.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I love the Blue HTC One M7. Why did HTC drop the color from the M8 and M9? I want more blue phones.

I want more green phones.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I want more green phones.

Emerald green S6 edge. :swoon:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Emerald green S6 edge. :swoon:

It's absolutely gorgeous and I wish the regular S6 also got it. Heard that the US isn't getting the green one though. At least none of the carriers are.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wanted the green. But I have a sapphire black one in my hands right now. No regrets.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Norns posted:

I wanted the green. But I have a sapphire black one in my hands right now. No regrets.

That's the one I ordered. I like the black/blue also.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

nerve posted:

I'm really glad Samsung picked up Qi. Hopefully Apple is next and doesn't decide to use their own standard (they absolutely will)

poo poo, I'm still laughing about their fantastic NFC implementation that ONLY enables Apple Pay and none of the other 1,000 awesome uses.

I'm afraid to touch an S6 because I don't want to get Samsung'd again. Been burned too many times (even though the S3 was a pretty solid device).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

N5, 5.1 LMY47I
Anybody else unable to lock it to portrait? Apparently the choices are auto or portrait. :/

I wanted to take a landscape phone while holding phone portrait (actually upside down portrait. :( )
You are correct if you meant to say that it cannot be locked to landscape.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

poo poo, I'm still laughing about their fantastic NFC implementation that ONLY enables Apple Pay and none of the other 1,000 awesome uses.
That's just software, though. There's no reason they couldn't open it up in future versions of iOS.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Endless Mike posted:

That's just software, though. There's no reason they couldn't open it up in future versions of iOS.

Precisely why I find it funny. Apple has a long history of crippling features "just because".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Look up the app Set Orientation.

Had to use that when I was playing with Cardboard and an S3, the electromagnet is on the opposite end of the phone than newer devices.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

That is what I meant.
Oh well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ilkhan posted:

That is what I meant.
Oh well.

What do you want to do though? What are you trying to lock into landscape? If it's photos you can rotate them afterwards - you can probably also hold the shutter button/volume to fix your shot, and rotate it while holding, but I haven't tried it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

What do you want to do though? What are you trying to lock into landscape? If it's photos you can rotate them afterwards - you can probably also hold the shutter button/volume to fix your shot, and rotate it while holding, but I haven't tried it
Nope, if you rotate it while holding volume it will change the orientation and then immediately snap the picture.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

mcbexx posted:

Trusted places is also not working at all.
Requiring two unlocking gestures to even check for notification icons is a pain in the rear end, too.

Hasn't worked for me for a few weeks now, and I'm well within the trusted places geofence.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

Hasn't worked for me for a few weeks now, and I'm well within the trusted places geofence.
Turning it off and then on again has always made it start working again when that's happened to me.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Google Play Music, does anyone else have an issue where the currently playing track just randomly pauses? This happens on Chromecast, bluetooth, headphones, normal phone speakers, anywhere. I think it's always been on a pinned playlist (I have all access).

I get this with my chromecast and All Access music. I'll que up an album, and by song 3 it's paused, and a couple minutes later the chromecast is back to the backdrop screen. I play music from my phone (usually pinned stuff) at work, and it never has an issue ever. So it's definitely something with the chromecast deciding it's dropping the connection I guess. I love my chromecasts, but they are weird sometimes. YouTube loves to get locked in, despite properly exiting the app. I'll have to re-open it and re-enable the cast then disconnect it again to get anything to connect.

I got my chromecast when they first came out, so maybe it's just flaky.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

Turning it off and then on again has always made it start working again when that's happened to me.

Alas I've done that a bunch of times to no avail

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

baka kaba posted:

The lizard on the wall was vertical, but I still wanted a landscape orientation photo without having to rotate afterward.

e: gdi, landscape!=portrait.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 4, 2015

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is rooting and installing this https://sufficientlysecure.org/index.php/adaway/ the best way to block ads? I noticed the app hasn't been updated in more than half a year.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://blog.oneplus.net/2015/04/oxygenos-is-here-2/

For those of us who've been looking at OpO from afar, what's the story with OxygenOS? They got sick of Cyanogen's crap and cut them out?

I thought OxygenOS was supposed to be a Google-less Android fork, but maybe I'm confusing that with Cyangoen's ultimate aims.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

kitten smoothie posted:

For those of us who've been looking at OpO from afar, what's the story with OxygenOS? They got sick of Cyanogen's crap and cut them out?

I thought OxygenOS was supposed to be a Google-less Android fork, but maybe I'm confusing that with Cyangoen's ultimate aims.

Oxygen OS was a response to some beef Oneplus had with Cyanogenmod in India, CM is still gonna be the thing that gets sent out OTA. From the people who've installed it, Oxygen OS is apparently a very near stock OS except that the update took like 5 months to come out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ilkhan posted:

The lizard on the wall was vertical, but I still wanted a portrait orientation photo without having to rotate afterward.

You mean a landscape one? The photo should be orientated however you were holding the phone when you took it, portrait or landscape, and always the right way up. If you want to turn things on their side or upside down, you'll have to swipe over and hit edit and do a quick spin

There are probably camera apps that let you disable this and work in a fixed landscape mode, if that's your jam

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

baka kaba posted:

You mean a landscape one? The photo should be orientated however you were holding the phone when you took it, portrait or landscape, and always the right way up. If you want to turn things on their side or upside down, you'll have to swipe over and hit edit and do a quick spin

There are probably camera apps that let you disable this and work in a fixed landscape mode, if that's your jam
Yes, that was my goal. To hold the phone portrait but get a landscape shot without editing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Is rooting and installing this https://sufficientlysecure.org/index.php/adaway/ the best way to block ads? I noticed the app hasn't been updated in more than half a year.
Yep, still the best way.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hmm. I'm considering getting an S6 Edge.

That is one nice looking device. TouchWiz is way less ugly than it was previously.

Does anyone who has been paying close attention to the device have any examples of egregious TouchWiziness on the S6?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm. I'm considering getting an S6 Edge.

That is one nice looking device. TouchWiz is way less ugly than it was previously.

Does anyone who has been paying close attention to the device have any examples of egregious TouchWiziness on the S6?

Comparing S6(E) to my N5 on 5.1 or my Moto Maxx on 5.0.2, nothing too bad--note that as a matter of course I prefer to use GNL, Hangouts, and GMail. The only weird difference is that on stock Android, and previous Touchwiz ROMs like Note 4 etc., you could tap the battery life graph and get a breakdown over time graph on signal presence, wakelocks, etc., and that's gone in the S6 ROM.

Other than that most of the remaining Touchwiz features are things I find genuinely useful, like Adaptive Sound.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 4, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

That's basically my reaction too, why it too so long to just release a stock AOSP rom. There's nothing particularly great about it minus it being "official".

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I just do not understand this thread. When the Galaxy Note Edge was announced last year, everyone called it a dumb gimmick and made fun of it relentlessly. Now everyone is fawning over the S6 Edge. What is so different this time that makes this one so great?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think people got to try it out instead of looking at pictures on the internet

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just do not understand this thread. When the Galaxy Note Edge was announced last year, everyone called it a dumb gimmick and made fun of it relentlessly. Now everyone is fawning over the S6 Edge. What is so different this time that makes this one so great?

For one the Galaxy Note Edge had its Edge screen be a separate thing. The S6 Edge is one full screen with edges on it so it looks much better.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Skeezy posted:

For one the Galaxy Note Edge had its Edge screen be a separate thing. The S6 Edge is one full screen with edges on it so it looks much better.

I was not aware of that. Interesting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Skeezy posted:

And is much more useless at the same time. The Note could display additional information, or be used to interact with small apps there. The S6 just has the edges... that curve slightly. It does look neat, but the only use is that it can flash one of 5 colors assigned to a contact when they call while the phone is display-down. That's it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The S6 Edge doesn't add any functionality, is supposedly harder to hold, is more fragile, and is $100 more. I agree that it looks cooler, but it doesn't seem very compelling.

PM me when they release a GPE S6...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is there a go-to Goon recommended tempered glass screen protector for the 2014 Moto X?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also if I'm not mistaken the Note Edge was announced prior to the iPhone 6 reveal and was your usual mess of plastic, removable batteries, and TouchWiz bullshit whereas the Galaxy S6's huge innovation was removing 40% of the "features" in TouchWiz and blatantly copying the iPhone. So one's a plastic pile of poo poo and the other looks and feels like a premium product which seems to line up with all the reviews. I do find it amusing that all of the reviews also have a line in there to the effect that TouchWiz is better, worse than stock Android but better than it was. Meaning that Samsung had the choice of doing absolutely nothing which was free or doing anything else and making things worse and it's no surprise which choice they made.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm curious to see how the S6 Edge is received 3 months from now. Watching a video about it on Droid Life one of the dudes mentioned that he liked the Edge because it was something different. So he didn't have the same phone everyone had or whatever.

I can get that but I'm sorta feeling like those people will eventually say a couple months down that the Edge is whatever and not worth the premium.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can an S6 Edge owner/fan explain what you love about the screen? I don't get it at all, but I feel like there's definitely stuff I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Also if I'm not mistaken the Note Edge was announced prior to the iPhone 6 reveal and was your usual mess of plastic, removable batteries, and TouchWiz bullshit whereas the Galaxy S6's huge innovation was removing 40% of the "features" in TouchWiz and blatantly copying the iPhone. So one's a plastic pile of poo poo and the other looks and feels like a premium product which seems to line up with all the reviews. I do find it amusing that all of the reviews also have a line in there to the effect that TouchWiz is better, worse than stock Android but better than it was. Meaning that Samsung had the choice of doing absolutely nothing which was free or doing anything else and making things worse and it's no surprise which choice they made.

You're almost a caricature of an androidcirclejerker at this point

The edge doesn't really do much as others have said. It looks different and has some feeds but there isn't any one or two features to justify the $100 premium imo. That being said it does look very pretty.