Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Also if I'm not mistaken the Note Edge was announced prior to the iPhone 6 reveal and was your usual mess of plastic, removable batteries, and TouchWiz bullshit whereas the Galaxy S6's huge innovation was removing 40% of the "features" in TouchWiz and blatantly copying the iPhone. So one's a plastic pile of poo poo and the other looks and feels like a premium product which seems to line up with all the reviews. I do find it amusing that all of the reviews also have a line in there to the effect that TouchWiz is better, worse than stock Android but better than it was. Meaning that Samsung had the choice of doing absolutely nothing which was free or doing anything else and making things worse and it's no surprise which choice they made.
TBF, it's not *really* free since they rolled their own SoC, so some work is going to have to go into getting it to work unless porting from the Nexus 10 version is super straightforward, and being Samsung, I really doubt that to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Also if I'm not mistaken the Note Edge was announced prior to the iPhone 6 reveal and was your usual mess of plastic, removable batteries, and TouchWiz bullshit whereas the Galaxy S6's huge innovation was removing 40% of the "features" in TouchWiz and blatantly copying the iPhone. So one's a plastic pile of poo poo and the other looks and feels like a premium product which seems to line up with all the reviews. I do find it amusing that all of the reviews also have a line in there to the effect that TouchWiz is better, worse than stock Android but better than it was. Meaning that Samsung had the choice of doing absolutely nothing which was free or doing anything else and making things worse and it's no surprise which choice they made.

Neither the Note 4 nor the Note Edge are plastic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nerve posted:

Can an S6 Edge owner/fan explain what you love about the screen? I don't get it at all, but I feel like there's definitely stuff I'm missing?

There's nothing to "get".

It just looks cool.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Thermopyle posted:

There's nothing to "get".

It just looks cool.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't get it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

The Note Edge is definitely plastic

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Thermopyle posted:

I don't get it.

Me either but I guess a lot of people do. The green does look nice though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
At least the Note Edge will be more useful now...with all the S6 Edges in circulation, the little side app world will get more love.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion
I am re-entering the world of Android for the first time since my ancient turd of an LG phone (the Optimus One P500). Preordered the green S6 Edge because for the first time it looks like there's an Android phone that doesn't force me to make compromises in any of the areas I consider important.

Also the extra price is worth it for me, because other than my watch, my phone is pretty much the closest thing I have to an accessory.

hotsauce posted:

At least the Note Edge will be more useful now...with all the S6 Edges in circulation, the little side app world will get more love.

Probably not, seeing as the Note Edge has a completely separate edge screen. The "edges" on the S6 Edge are pretty much purely cosmetic and part of the larger screen.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

hotsauce posted:

I wouldn't count on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nerve posted:

Me either but I guess a lot of people do. The green does look nice though.

Ok, just making sure you were making a terrible post.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hotsauce posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a Note only feature. I may be wrong however.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You can take the battery percentages off in Touchwiz right or is that just a Samsung thing and it's permanent.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Desk Lamp posted:

This. The Note 4 is really, really, really nice and the metal rim is just loving fantastic. The back is some faux-leather type thing that doesn't try too hard to look leathery (see Note 3) which provides great grip.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Skeezy posted:

You can take the battery percentages off in Touchwiz right or is that just a Samsung thing and it's permanent.

You can take it off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Logikv9 posted:

This. The Note 4 is really, really, really nice and the metal rim is just loving fantastic. The back is some faux-leather type thing that doesn't try too hard to look leathery (see Note 3) which provides great grip.
If you want to take a guess about what material makes up "faux-leather type things" I can wait. I will give you two hints and tell you that it's not metal and not organic.

It is a material that, like Samsung, has a reputation for being a poor imitation of a better, more desirable thing and is a colloquialism for "fake and cheap".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

If you want to take a guess about what material makes up "faux-leather type things" I can wait. I will give you two hints and tell you that it's not metal and not organic.

It is a material that, like Samsung, has a reputation for being a poor imitation of a better, more desirable thing and is a colloquialism for "fake and cheap".

The snark is strong in this one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Ummmmmmmm

Also, didn't Samsung outright state that the Note Edge and S6 Edge aren't compatible?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

The back cover being plastic does not change the fact that the phone is made of metal, but don't let that get in the way of defending your purchase I suppose.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

LastInLine posted:

Given that you generally hold phones by the rim and put the phone down on the back, I would take the Note 4 over anything else any day.

I mean, if you don't like it you can buy something else :capitalism:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

Given that you generally hold phones by the rim and put the phone down on the back, I would take the Note 4 over anything else any day.

I mean, if you don't like it you can buy something else :capitalism:
I have nothing against plastic phones, the question was originally why has the S6 been well received while the Note Edge was not and the reason is because of the materials choice. Read anyone who isn't a shill and they all mention the same thing. Let's look at one such prominent reviewer who isn't afraid to call garbage garbage:

Joanna Stern, WSJ posted:

Since the dawn of the smartphone wars, there have been basic truths about Samsungs: They’re made of flimsy plastic, their cameras can’t keep up with the iPhone’s, and their modified Android software is ugly and intolerably cluttered.

With the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, which arrive at U.S. carriers on April 10, none of that is true anymore.

The materials are the reason for the difference in perception because the phone generally regarded as the best has historically used better materials. This isn't rocket science, it's been the common perception since Samsung became the main competitor to Apple. It's just what the general public believes.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I have nothing against plastic phones, the question was originally why has the S6 been well received while the Note Edge was not and the reason is because of the materials choice. Read anyone who isn't a shill and they all mention the same thing. Let's look at one such prominent reviewer who isn't afraid to call garbage garbage:

The materials are the reason for the difference in perception because the phone generally regarded as the best has historically used better materials. This isn't rocket science, it's been the common perception since Samsung became the main competitor to Apple. It's just what the general public believes.

Joanna Stern? Couldn't possibly be this same Joanna Stern could it?

Joanna Stern, WSJ posted:

No more shiny backing that shows my slimy fingerprints, no more kid-toy plastic with faux leather stitching. Instead, an aluminum frame surrounds the Note 4, making it feel like a well-made device. The fakeness of the latest synthetic-leather back is justified by being incredibly smooth and soft—and easier to grip than an iPhone 6 Plus.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Joanna Stern? Couldn't possibly be this same Joanna Stern could it?
The same! You'll notice in your example she's just happy that the plastic this time isn't "slimy" whereas in the S6 review she's way happier that it's gone. It's almost like metal > good plastic > lovely plastic.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The reason I thought people are masturbating over the S6 Edge vs Note 4 Edge was that the Note 4 Edge was primarily an attempt to add functionality that really didn't work, and the S6 Edge is primarily an attempt to be distinctive from other rivals, look better, and to add minimal new functionality.

I mean, the Note 4 Edge didn't really look any better than the Note 4, while people seem to generally agree that the S6 Edge looks better than the S6. I guess it looked weird when it was done asymmetrically on the Note 4 vs S6.

They were judging the Note 4 Edge on its promise of better functionality, while people are judging the S6 Edge for the promise of better looks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LastInLine posted:

That's why the Moto X is such a great phone, because it uses genuine leather! :v:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

The same! You'll notice in your example she's just happy that the plastic this time isn't "slimy" whereas in the S6 review she's way happier that it's gone. It's almost like metal > good plastic > lovely plastic.

One could even say that the biggest thing about the Note 4 was that it wasn't the "usual mess of plastic" as you put it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't feel as sexy as my HTC One M8, but the Note Edge is a very nice feeling product. That metal trim goes a hell of a long way, both visually and in feel, to make it feel like a much more premium phone. That and they got rid of the idiotic stitching around the back.

Sadly Note Edge users are boned no matter how many people use the S6 Edge. The S6 version doesn't actually have enough edge to do most of the stuff that the Note is capable of. I seriously doubt the S6 Edge can utilize the full Look SDK, so devs probably aren't going to bother using it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shutup Shutup Shutup Shutup Shutup

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That was in reference to stupid arguing about over what exactly qualifies a phone as plastic.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mango sentinel posted:

It doesn't feel as sexy as my HTC One M8, but the Note Edge is a very nice feeling product. That metal trim goes a hell of a long way, both visually and in feel, to make it feel like a much more premium phone. That and they got rid of the idiotic stitching around the back.

Sadly Note Edge users are boned no matter how many people use the S6 Edge. The S6 version doesn't actually have enough edge to do most of the stuff that the Note is capable of. I seriously doubt the S6 Edge can utilize the full Look SDK, so devs probably aren't going to bother using it.

With the Note Edge it all comes down to whether you like the look and feel the built in edge display features are good enough. Buying it with the hopes of a thriving ecosystem when chances are the next Note will render it obsolete is a terrible idea.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The Note Edge was openly marketed as an early adopters limited edition device. I think only a million were even made. I haven't seen a single one in public outside of my own, anecdotal as that may be.

Anyone hoping for enormous app support was bound be to be let down.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Also, didn't Samsung outright state that the Note Edge and S6 Edge aren't compatible?

Yep, pretty sure this is true. Nothing that gets developed to take advantage of the Note Edge will be applicable for the S6 Edge.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

I don't get it.
The S6E is just an excuse to add $100 onto the cost of a phone.
edit: Actually, change the :shrug: into :capitalism:

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 5, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is the stock nexus 6 camera freezing every other photo while in airplane mode a known thing? I'm traveling internationally right now and have lost a lot of photos because the camera app is constantly crashing. Only a full reboot makes the camera operational again. It complains about not being able to communicate with G+, and also duplicates all the photos I don't lose.

Its the first technical issue I've had with lollipop/n6.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Reverse Centaur posted:

Is the stock nexus 6 camera freezing every other photo while in airplane mode a known thing? I'm traveling internationally right now and have lost a lot of photos because the camera app is constantly crashing. Only a full reboot makes the camera operational again. It complains about not being able to communicate with G+, and also duplicates all the photos I don't lose.

Its the first technical issue I've had with lollipop/n6.

Do you have auto-backup to Google+ and/or location services enabled in the camera's settings? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

I will give you two hints and tell you that it's not metal and not organic.

Since when are plastics not organic, ya dangus? Man, when people conflate "organic" and "biological" I just wanna GOON GOON GOON :argh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Huh, I legit didn't know that plastics are organic though I suppose it makes sense. Related and kind of funny, if you Google "are plastics organic" you get a list of results saying they are and one Yahoo Answer saying they are not. I absolutely love Yahoo Answers and kind of wish there was a Dashclock extension that put a new one on my screen every day just so I could be exposed to them more often.

What's worse is my wife is a chemist so I could've actually asked an expert but :effort:

Either way I think the point is that the S6 looks like a pretty nifty device even if the Edge is just a styling choice rather than a practical one. I think Samsung would've been better served by only making the Edge model and just presenting it as their style rather than as an add-on of dubious value and utility.

I hope the SGS6 does well, it's a legit good design and a positive direction for Samsung. I'll admit that I've always liked it when they get farther away from the iPhone ripoff look by introducing more colors and curves like the SGS3's blue and the SGS6's green, I wish they'd do that more. The physical buttons are the worst part of the design but I'm not sure Samsung has the ability to make something unique, distinctive, and useful to replace it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

The S6E is just an excuse to add $100 onto the cost of a phone.

And?

That's what every aspect of every thing ever sold is.

I assume you just wear the absolute cheapest pieces of clothing that protect you from the elements. After all durability, colors, styles, comfort are all just added to get you to buy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there a go-to Goon recommended tempered glass screen protector for the 2014 Moto X?

Quoting myself from the last page, and also adding another question:

Any decent bumper cases for the 2014 X?

I like to feel sophisticated, so I got the leather back, so a full case sort of defeats the purpose...but if my experiences with previous phones is any indication, I will drop it...a lot...often on hard surfaces like concrete or the tile floor at the gym. So I'd like to get just a bumper case to protect the edges.

I can only find one for about $20...I've looked on Amazon, eBay, and the Moto store. They all look identical, and about the same price.

It annoys me that all my searching brings up that one bumper case, but then dozens of regular cases for less than half the price.

I'm about ready to just get a $10 regular case and take an exacto knife to it and turn it into a bumper case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Supcase has a bumper case with a clear back that can help protect the leather.

EDIT: You can also get it on Amazon for a slightly cheaper price (and it's Prime eligible, if you have it).

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 5, 2015