Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

It sucks that you're out of a job, but from listening to the director of Haven and a film exec on CBC the other night the film industry sounds pretty pathetic.

They basically said that the industry moves to wherever has the most subsidies.

This is of course at the expense of the taxpayer.

They tried their best to say that having the industry is good for the province, but even then their arguments were weak and basically "it's good in lots of ways, they're just hard to measure!", while in the same breath at times they were saying that without the province paying their workers for them they wouldn't survive.

At one point the Haven director said "And it brings in the... creators", which was pretty funny.

Our province has enough problems without having to worry about subsidizing another industry that cannot survive on it's own.

It's definitely true. The film industry should be in California and few other places. It would be great for film people (just go to California, don't have to move around) and good for the business (subsidies mean a lot of less talented people get hired just because they're locals, when this should be a talent-based industry).

Instead we've got this horrible subsidy system with companies like Sony jumping to New Mexico and then to Vancouver just to take advantage of subsidies. They screw over their workers AND the taxpayers and get a bunch of Canadian's hopes up that they'll be able to work in film locally. But when the subsidies go, so will the work.

You should see the kind of poo poo producers or wanna-be producers who don't live in California say to try to get legislators to pass subsidies. It's all emotional appeal bullshit, about how little johnny wants to be a star, and wouldn't it be great if he didn't have to move West to do that?

The only justification I've seen for subsidies that makes sense is that North America is losing animation, vfx, and post-production work to China, India, and South Korea because of lower labor costs. I kind of agree that subsidies could be good to offset that, but then the work coming out of those countries ends up being higher quality! So it makes me think that subsidies just make people lazy/complacent and that there's better ways that taxpayers money could be spent. The place I work employs some Indian and Chinese workers who previously worked in their home industries, who are way better than any of the Canadians. The one reason I really fear about the subsidies is this is their chance for a better life in Canada, and if the subsidies go they may get sent back to Beijing and Mumbai. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Professor Shark posted:

This is a great article, but do they not allow you to copy their text on their site?

Anyway, I wanted to quote the author when she says that after all the Albertans got fired a few slumps ago, they bootstrapped and opened their own businesses, and now 95% of businesses in Alberta are Small Business.

She isn't living in reality.

quote:

CALGARY, AB, Apr 1, 2015/ Troy Media/ – The year I settled in Calgary, it snowed in July. I thought I’d fallen into a cold version of hell. Adding to my misery, it was the early 90s and the oil and gas industry was in another big slump. Every week there was more bad news out of the oil patch. Downtown was aflutter with layoffs. For a new grad looking for work, it was a wholly unenthusiastic start.

Despite the not-so-positive first impression of my adopted home, I’m still here more than 20 years later. And now, there’s nowhere else I’d rather be. As I look back on what helped me weather that early storm, and think about what makes me optimistic about the future, even with a once-again shaky economy, it comes down to three things.

Alberta has entrepreneurial spirit
First, I love Alberta’s plucky entrepreneurial spirit. All those layoffs from the 90s? Many of those newly-emancipated employees tore up their pink slips and started their own businesses. Rather than stay down on the mat, they got up, rallied their inner warriors, and kept swinging. Their gutsiness kind of surprised me. I was used to fear and whingeing in the face of a slump. But their confidence was inspiring. And with time it became contagious. Their can-do response made me realize the world didn’t have to crash in after all.

Alberta has nowhere to go but up
If anything, that attitude has only grown over the last two decades. In fact, entrepreneurship has flourished in Alberta, where small businesses make up 95 per cent of all business. As always, entrepreneurship promises to be the way forward. And the new possibilities for solving old problems are endless. As they have for decades, Albertans will once again find ways to create opportunity out of adversity.

I have a second reason for optimism. That’s because the quality of our people and our strong sense of community is like nowhere else. I love the people in this province. We’re serious about what we do, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We’re fiercely competitive in business, but when the chips are down, we pull together. I recall that during the 2013 floods, the reason so few businesses failed was precisely because the entire community pulled together to help each other out. Businesses that weren’t flooded shut down to help those that were. While other communities that experience natural disasters see up to 50y per cent of their businesses go under, less than 1 per cent of our businesses closed. That is a perfect picture of what makes our province so. Darn. Special.

Our community pride doesn’t just come out during natural disasters. And it doesn’t shine brightest on the first two weeks of July during Stampede. It’s shown every day by the creative social entrepreneurs who connect philanthropists, non-profits, and businesses to tackle social problems and create the kind of social infrastructure – arts, culture, recreation – that make Alberta communities strong. It’s our emotional connection to one another – strengthened by this solid social infrastructure – that will help to keep communities connected and stable even as the economic engine slows.

My third reason for optimism is slightly more elusive. It comes down to this: that, as a province, we have only begun to realize our potential. We are still young, with a relatively small population. Yet our people are among the most skilled and best-educated people anywhere. We are only now coming into a leadership role as political, economic, and intellectual leaders – both in Canada and in the world.

Over the past two decades, I’ve worked with some of the boldest and visionary leaders anywhere. It might surprise you to learn the one thing that most of them have in common. Despite their obvious talents, they tended to underestimate themselves and their organizations. We have no shortage of creativity and potential in this province. If we lack anything, it may be boldness. It’s boldness that has driven growth in our province. Of late, we’ve lost some of it. We need to get it back. And that boldness isn’t likely to come from government. It’s got to come from committed citizens, creative community leaders, and brave business people willing to take aim and lead the way.

Albertans are resilient
Face it, Alberta, we’ve got more than oil going for us. We have an incredible history of resilience and entrepreneurship. We have created sticky communities filled with people connected to each other and committed to our odd blend of independence mixed with inter-dependence. The only thing missing is the realization that we’re capable of so much more than we think.

Alberta has nowhere to go but up. And there’s still no place I’d rather be. Even if it does snow in July.

Joni Avram (causeeffect.ca) helps donors, businesses, and non-profit enterprises gain credibility, build influence, and grow support through effective marketing and engagement strategies. Her expertise has helped generate millions for philanthropic initiatives, focused on effective collaboration, blended value, and social outcomes. You can follow Joni on Twitter @joniavram

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

"We are only now coming into a leadership role as political, economic, and intellectual leaders – both in Canada and in the world."

I'd never heard of Alberta before moving to Canada, and everyone in Canada refers to it as the Texas of Canada, so good luck with that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/legge-why-raising-corporate-taxes-would-be-a-mistake

Please don't raise the corporate tax rate for Alberta, it would only hurt small businesses

I like how Alberta is trying every whacky trick to balance the budget like adding in a new $1000 heath premium.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Troy media is essentially the vanity press of news sites.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

It annoyed me that they did that so I copied it as well but you beat me to it. Did you do it by disabling javascript and fiddling with css or did you just save the page as a txt file?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Terebus posted:

It annoyed me that they did that so I copied it as well but you beat me to it. Did you do it by disabling javascript and fiddling with css or did you just save the page as a txt file?

I use Pocket.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Ccs posted:

The only justification I've seen for subsidies that makes sense is that North America is losing animation, vfx, and post-production work to China, India, and South Korea because of lower labor costs. I kind of agree that subsidies could be good to offset that, but then the work coming out of those countries ends up being higher quality!
As someone who's worked with some of that outsourced work from China and India (but not SK to be fair) - bahahaha!

At the moment you spend as much time and money cleaning up and fixing the poo poo that comes out of the outsourced companies as you would if you'd just kept the work in "the west". They're desperate for good, competent staff- and anyone really good bails and gets a job in a better paid country. Unfortunately too, there's a lot of dodgy unlicensed software in China & India- Canada may cost a lot to operate in, but a lot of the costs mean that the industry itself is sustainable.

That's what a lot of this madness boils down to- shortsighted people at the top thinking about short-term gains. Yes, it's cheaper to outsource to countries with lovely IP laws, but when the software makers go under, you'll have destroyed decades of work and badly damage the industry you're trying to profit off. Yes, it's cheaper to keep a worker's wages low, but you'll destroy the ability of consumers to purchase your goods. Yes, it's cheaper to make money loaning bigger and bigger amounts to people to buy homes rather than loan to something productive like businesses, but... it'll all be fine, that's a great plan!

Slash subsidies, reintroduce tariffs.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
BaronJutter, I seriously love this town but WHY IS loving EVERYTHING FOR LEASE, HOLY poo poo, LIKE HALF THE BLOODY DOWNTOWN CORE.

There are storefronts here that have been for lease since I was last here 2.5 years ago, except now there's 3x as many new ones as well!

Your boardgame cafe is loving awesome though and I would move here just for that amenity alone. :3:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Strong Convections posted:

As someone who's worked with some of that outsourced work from China and India (but not SK to be fair) - bahahaha!

At the moment you spend as much time and money cleaning up and fixing the poo poo that comes out of the outsourced companies as you would if you'd just kept the work in "the west". They're desperate for good, competent staff- and anyone really good bails and gets a job in a better paid country. Unfortunately too, there's a lot of dodgy unlicensed software in China & India- Canada may cost a lot to operate in, but a lot of the costs mean that the industry itself is sustainable.

That's what a lot of this madness boils down to- shortsighted people at the top thinking about short-term gains. Yes, it's cheaper to outsource to countries with lovely IP laws, but when the software makers go under, you'll have destroyed decades of work and badly damage the industry you're trying to profit off. Yes, it's cheaper to keep a worker's wages low, but you'll destroy the ability of consumers to purchase your goods. Yes, it's cheaper to make money loaning bigger and bigger amounts to people to buy homes rather than loan to something productive like businesses, but... it'll all be fine, that's a great plan!

Slash subsidies, reintroduce tariffs.

Yeah, sorry, I'm not arguing that conditions in China or India are any good, or that their work is that great. I've heard the horror stories from my colleagues from those countries about what their experience was working over there. Most of their former co-workers quit the industry as the work was taking a toll on their health. But the Chinese and Indian workers who do manage to get out of that place and into Canada work so hard, and take so much more pride in their work's quality than the locals. Maybe it's because they're risking so much and traveling so far. Maybe the local workers back where they're from are much worse, because they don't feel the same pressure. I don't know.

But as a quality example, compare the average Canadian CGI TV show to the CG How to Train Your Dragon: Riders of Berk TV show. The latter was animated in China and was much higher quality. Of course I've heard from co-workers that people went blind on that production, ended up in the hospital from overwork, etc. etc. so it's not worth it, but it shows... I guess it shows they can do quality work. At the expense of their health, poor bastards.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 4, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

BaronJutter, I seriously love this town but WHY IS loving EVERYTHING FOR LEASE, HOLY poo poo, LIKE HALF THE BLOODY DOWNTOWN CORE.

There are storefronts here that have been for lease since I was last here 2.5 years ago, except now there's 3x as many new ones as well!

Your boardgame cafe is loving awesome though and I would move here just for that amenity alone. :3:

Relatedly, what's the goddamn deal with that hole in the ground beside Uptown?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Ccs posted:

Maybe the local workers back where they're from are much worse, because they don't feel the same pressure. I don't know.

BINGO! You're comparing the cream of the crop- those who are talented enough to get sponsored by foreign companies at no small expense- to the average worker. The average worker back in China and India just doesn't measure up, plus there's the language barrier. Successful (english language) productions tend to have a lot of the management, supervisory, and lead roles staffed by either foreigners or locals that have spent a lot of years working in foreign countries, and those people are not paid local level wages.

I would imagine the budget of a branded property like How to train your Dragon would be much higher than for any average Canadian CGI TV show. The prestige also means you're going to get better people willing to work on it. (EDIT: Looked into this, can't find anything indicating Dragons was made by Oriental DreamWorks- what's your source?)

I think you'd find the average Canadian worker has an awful lot of drive if you offered them a job paying stupid amounts of money to work in their dream foreign country. You'll find that with the subsidies moving around, so too are the best of Canada's vfx workers- the equivalents of those excellent Chinese and Indians you'll find are working where the money is. The answer isn't to turn Canada into a shithole so that people are more driven to work harder to get out.

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 4, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

Relatedly, what's the goddamn deal with that hole in the ground beside Uptown?

Lots of for-lease stuff downtown because a ton of landlords just upped their rents like crazy. Drove a bunch of successful businesses out. It apparently makes sense on a whole for the leasing companies but gently caress a system where high rents and high vacancies is some how profitable. I really wish the city could figure out how to set up a tax or some sort of system that made empty storefronts very expensive for landlords so they'd only hike the rents if they knew they could actually get someone in there to pay their new rate. Has anywhere done this?

Board game cafe is pretty good, it's always full so really good for the guy. He previously owned a board game shop which always struggled but he's found his niche. City would not allow him a license because it's illegal in BC to serve alcohol in the same room as "games of chance". Yes our laws are that archaic and stupid.

Uptown is a hole, but they are currently working on phase 3 of the project which will be a Whole Foods on top of 3 levels of parking. It was originally going to be a residential component but Saanich didn't like the idea of apartment towers there (and who the gently caress would want to live on top of walmart surrounded on all sides by highways) so they're going to do a Whole Foods instead.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Strong Convections posted:

BINGO! You're comparing the cream of the crop- those who are talented enough to get sponsored by foreign companies at no small expense- to the average worker. The average worker back in China and India just doesn't measure up, plus there's the language barrier. Successful (english language) productions tend to have a lot of the management, supervisory, and lead roles staffed by either foreigners or locals that have spent a lot of years working in foreign countries, and those people are not paid local level wages.

I would imagine the budget of a branded property like How to train your Dragon would be much higher than for any average Canadian CGI TV show. The prestige also means you're going to get better people willing to work on it. (EDIT: Looked into this, can't find anything indicating Dragons was made by Oriental DreamWorks- what's your source?)

I think you'd find the average Canadian worker has an awful lot of drive if you offered them a job paying stupid amounts of money to work in their dream foreign country. You'll find that with the subsidies moving around, so too are the best of Canada's vfx workers- the equivalents of those excellent Chinese and Indians you'll find are working where the money is. The answer isn't to turn Canada into a shithole so that people are more driven to work harder to get out.

A co-worker who used to work on it. It was made by the Chinese studio Original Force: http://www.of3d.com/en/cg/project_01.html (it's the second in the list of their projects)

I think Dreamworks took it away from them after realizing how hosed up that studio management was. Oriental Dreamworks might have it now, or they sent it to their satelite studio in India.

But apparently the pay at Original Force was terrible. Enough to manage to pay rent and afford food, but not enough to actually save any money. Some people from France and even Holland came over to work on Dragons, but left after a few months because of how awful the conditions were.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The animation industry is one gigantic mess of underpaid workers and companies going bankrupt over snowballing project costs, how successful the movie becomes doesn't even play in. It's quite depressing when you start reading up on it.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cultural Imperial posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

This can't possibly be correct?

In other news, news from across the pond, as reported by Global Property Guide. Two out of the three countries that suffered the biggest crash in the real estate market are showing the biggest signs of another bubble in the making. The yearly prices increased 16.6% in Ireland and 12.6% in Estonia.

So if you think that being financially retarded is exclusive to Canada, it seems that you are mistaken. And oh, since there is a massive US-style quantitative easing coming to Europe in the next few years, expect the asset prices to absolutely sky-rocket. Because this worked so well for United States. Good times, guys. Good times.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'd love to hear the Irish excuse for a housing bubble this time around. "It's different this time"

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I'd love to hear the Irish excuse for a housing bubble this time around. "It's different this time"

"I am poor and would like to own an appreciating asset." Same as any other housing bubble.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well you'd think they'd learned something in the past 5 years.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Why? They're still poor and still want to own an appreciating asset.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm definitely not arguing the irish aren't dumb as poo poo.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OhYeah posted:

This can't possibly be correct?

I believe it.

My recollection was that Toronto was late to the party, but when they noticed what houses in Vancouver were selling for and were determined to not to be behind for long.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Many+Albertans+think+global+warming+hoax+UFOs+real+poll/10935648/story.html posted:

One in five Albertans believe Bigfoot is real, and even more think global warming is a hoax.

A new Insights West poll also reveals more than one in three Albertans think the 1997 death of Princess Diana in a car crash was actually an assassination, and 40 per cent of residents think scientists have found a cure for cancer but the government or pharmaceutical companies are withholding it.

The Texas of Canada indeed :freep:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Guest2553 posted:

The Texas of Canada indeed :freep:

Try that poll on Vancouver Island and let me know how it goes for you.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
To be fair those "Albertans" are most likely from Ontario/East Coast.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I'm definitely not arguing the irish aren't dumb as poo poo.

It isn't about being dumb. It is about being in stagnant economy (even if the only part of the economy that is stagnating is your wages) and a place where ownership of land is highly prized.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Try that poll on Vancouver Island and let me know how it goes for you.

They did the poll in BC too.

12% of them think global warming is a hoax, 27% that Princess Di was an inside job, 20% in bigfoot, 32% in human cloning and 32% that cancer has already been cured. So really it's idiots all the way down? :iiam:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Rime posted:

The landlords downtown have a rent they think is fair, and they're fine with collecting nothing for years on end rather than compromise. The ones that will compromise tend to jack up the rent on anyone successful, which I'm sure happens everywhere but seems to happen to an absurd degree here given how stale the economy is. One of the downtown breakfast places closed last week, and you know the gouging is bad if a breakfast restaurant in Victoria can't afford the rent.

Try out Standard Pizza on Cook and Pandora while you're here, because they probably won't last there past their first lease.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amos Moses posted:

To be fair those "Albertans" are most likely from Ontario/East Coast.

Not anymore since they got laid off and had to flee back to their home province.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Professor Shark posted:

It sucks that you're out of a job, but from listening to the director of Haven and a film exec on CBC the other night the film industry sounds pretty pathetic.

They basically said that the industry moves to wherever has the most subsidies.

This is of course at the expense of the taxpayer.

They tried their best to say that having the industry is good for the province, but even then their arguments were weak and basically "it's good in lots of ways, they're just hard to measure!", while in the same breath at times they were saying that without the province paying their workers for them they wouldn't survive.

At one point the Haven director said "And it brings in the... creators", which was pretty funny.

Our province has enough problems without having to worry about subsidizing another industry that cannot survive on it's own.

I bring this up over on reddit whenever they get excited on the Vancouver subforum that x movie is coming to town. You guys can pay for the translink/subway expansions if you kill the film subsidies and take that money and earmark it for the next 10-20 years towards infrastructure.

I get downvoted and heckled about "But what a bout the hundreds of jobs and tourism".

Tourism?

58% of my paycheck is subsidized. The movie I'm working on takes place on another continent, all the Vancouver work is digital work. And any place that actually shoots footage in Vancouver, has set dressing or is comped to change Vancouver to make it look like another location. Because if there is one thing that Vancouver is good at , is looking generic.Because that's the crazy thing, Vancouver doesn't require any of the film shoot work itself to be done here. That's why you have all the big digital VFX houses setting up offices here and moving employees from the US and Europe to here.

58% labor handout. Which is the single most expensive component to doing effects work is manhours.

The only people that seems to be against killing subsidies are producers and Europeans trying to get PR status, most of my american friends would like to see the subsidies die so they can go home.

I worked for Dreamworks and R+H, two companies that invested a fair bit of time in Indian markets and for the most part, the cost savings isn't there. You save on labor, but not when you have to get western artists to redo the work.

Louisiana is catching on pretty quick on the subsidy racket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3zB3Ybql_0

So is everyone else except for BC since they didn't hit a deficit... yet.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 4, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

And any place that actually shoots footage in Vancouver, has set dressing or is comped to change Vancouver to make it look like another location.

Continuum? :v:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Guest2553 posted:

They did the poll in BC too.

12% of them think global warming is a hoax, 27% that Princess Di was an inside job, 20% in bigfoot, 32% in human cloning and 32% that cancer has already been cured. So really it's idiots all the way down? :iiam:

In general, 30% of people are completely out to lunch on any one polled topic.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of "cabin country" and "get away" locations actually forbid renting or any sort of short-stay arrangements. For example on Pender island there is a massive glut of houses for sale and people underwater on their mortgage after their "cabin" value went down by half but you absolutely can not rent your cabin out. That would bring riff raff to the island! You can't trust someone who doesn't own, who doesn't have a ham in the local community! *kills local economy with strict holiday rental laws*

But that's a sales feature for a lot of these places. Don't worry there won't be any tourists, only fellow wealthy vacation home owners like you.

I'm pretty curious what is going to happen to the Gulf Islands in the mid to long term. I rarely go there, and so I might be pretty off base without more detailed, local knowledge of the situation, but it seems like there are a number of factors that could contribute to a dramatic collapse in housing value in the future.

* Expensive housing
* "Island Lifestyle" is a locals thing. Foreign money is going to Vancouver real estate, not the islands.
* BC Liberals underfunding and meddling with BC Ferries is destroying island communities.[1]
* Weak island communities make buying island property less appealing.
* Low ability for local millenials to buy boomers' expensive houses anyway.

[1] I was on Gabriola over xmas. Plenty of empty storefronts and "selling business" signs. It didn't look like a healthy community at all.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

It's funny because, at least in Nova Scotia, this is another industry that receives huge handouts from the government, usually in the form of "training programs", all so the businesses get to pay less than minimum wage and have the government foot the bill. Except because it's tourism, you can just keep hiring "trainees" over and over and over again. Same thing in the service industry. I even know of an engineer that ended up used in this way and who probably turned down offers out west during the oil boom.

So the film industry subsidy's best argument for it is that it might help support our other heavily subsidized industries. Got it.

Anyone have any word on whether the rest of Laurel Broten's tax recommendations (cut all the tax benefits, eliminate the top tax bracket (which her and her husband are in), and hike the middle class tax) are gonna be used too? Because they'll be a pretty big factor in some decisions I have to make coming up.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I don't understand why there's not widespread outrage over this subsidy nonsense.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Femtosecond posted:

I'm pretty curious what is going to happen to the Gulf Islands in the mid to long term. I rarely go there, and so I might be pretty off base without more detailed, local knowledge of the situation, but it seems like there are a number of factors that could contribute to a dramatic collapse in housing value in the future.

* Expensive housing
* "Island Lifestyle" is a locals thing. Foreign money is going to Vancouver real estate, not the islands.
* BC Liberals underfunding and meddling with BC Ferries is destroying island communities.[1]
* Weak island communities make buying island property less appealing.
* Low ability for local millenials to buy boomers' expensive houses anyway.

[1] I was on Gabriola over xmas. Plenty of empty storefronts and "selling business" signs. It didn't look like a healthy community at all.

Yeah, we know some people who bought like 10 years ago and pender and lost HALF their loving value since. Shops are closing, B&B's and tourism in general are seeing way less people. But this doesn't effect the richest island home owners so nothing gets changed. A lot of people from Vancouver and Victoria would have a cottage on one of the islands. If you were upper middle class or higher you just had to have an island cottage, they were also seen as investments! Everyone's buying an island cottage, they aren't building more gulf islands so now is the best time to buy. A lot of american buyers too. In 2008 of course all the american buyers and tourists dried up, the ferry rates went up, and suddenly a lot of people who were telling them selves they could afford the cottage because it was a good investment realized they were hosed and they had a huge money trap that was a long expensive ferry ride away. The actual locals got hosed because their economies are completely centred around serving tourists and cabin owners. This further drove away tourists and cabin owners because who wants to go visit a depressing dying island? The only people happy with how things are are the richest owners who never shop locally on the islands and have large self-sufficient estates. They'd love it if all the non-rich people left the island, they'd be fine with all the dirty locals and shop owners left too. they basically want a personal island, every other person on the island is just a bother to them. The other group that's fine with how things are going are the few locals who, like the rich, moved to these islands to get away from other humans. They're generally pretty poor, survive on government assistance and the local barter economy. They hate tourists, they hate the businesses that serve them, they also hate the rich mega-cabin owners.

The problem is, the only people involved in actual local island politics are dead-locked on how to respond to the problems the islands face. A large majority of residents and cabin owners would love to try to attract more visitors, relax rental rules, and generally salvage the local island economies, but they are slightly outnumbered by the rich cabin owners and xenophobic locals when it comes to actual political participation. Only now after things have gone to total poo poo are some island residents finally saying "hey maybe we should elect someone other than these 6 rich nimby fuckers we've had for the last 12 years to the island's board of trustees"

There's also a lot of the same problems suburbia faces on these islands. All the islands are car-centric as gently caress, most don't really have towns or even villages, it's just a maze of rural roads dotted with cabins. What they call a "village" on the islands is generally just an area that has very slightly more buildings than others and a couple shops. For the most part it's all 2 lane roads with little to no shoulder and no street lights so walking or cycling is pretty scary and everything is really far apart. All these roads of course cost money to maintain, money the islands lack. A lot of the roads are also part of private subdivisions or exist in weird and complex trusts. The bottom line is that the islands are in huge financial trouble and can't pay to maintain their roads or pipes. A lot of subdivisions are now being hit with massive "special assessments" to re-pave the roads and the residents can't afford it. Normally the government just subsidizes the gently caress out of these sorts of developments as they do with all sprawl/suburbia, but being on islands they're remote enough to actually sort of cut them off and tell them to pay for their own poo poo, and surprise surprise, sprawl can't pay for its self, specially when half the houses are empty and for sale.

Basically the gulf islands are hosed due to a housing crash and super restrictive rental laws, sprawly land-use and planning, and BC ferries jacking the rates up and loving with the schedules all the time.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My only question is that increased development is often a solution to these sort of issues, but isn't there sort of a ceiling on development on the islands in that there is a limited amount of water available?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Lexicon posted:

I don't understand why there's not widespread outrage over this subsidy nonsense.

Because all subsidies are bad save for the specific ones that affect my riding/region.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

etalian posted:

Not anymore since they got laid off and had to flee back to their home province.

Jobs are all of a sudden picking up here. :shrug: No loving idea how or why. No rigs hiring of course but somehow service side picked up?

Also apparently Halliburtons cementing operation here employed TFWs poo poo I know people that would have done that job when the economy was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Big K of Justice posted:

And any place that actually shoots footage in Vancouver, has set dressing or is comped to change Vancouver to make it look like another location. Because if there is one thing that Vancouver is good at , is looking generic.

The opening ten minutes of Tron: Legacy is a mixture of Jerhico/West Point, Oak Steet bridge/onramp, George Massy tunnel, Cambie Street bridge, Granville Street and areal shots of Vancouver, disguised only by blanking any prominent signs. You can even see the Vancouver Fairmont at one point.

Of course, the point was that Encom Corp. is located in Generic City, North America. :v:

ductonius fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 5, 2015