Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

change the threa dto Xenoblade Chronicles X- I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No, Skyrim has party members and you can't have all of them at once.

mods??

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fungah! posted:

change the threa dto Xenoblade Chronicles X- I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and

The mods have my blessing on this.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

http://xenobladex.jp/ Has changed today.Click on the Arrows

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 1, 2015

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I can get behind this bold new vision.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
This is probably the most relevant thread, but did anyone ever put together a decent sidequest guide tool for Xenoblade Chronicles?

I'm replaying it on the 3DS but wanna try and get all the quests done and i remember skipping quite a few of them when i played it on the Wii because i couldn't find a simple list of:

[zone] - [quest] - [quest giver] - [exact location/time of quest giver] - [where to go to complete task, inc. time of day/location if you have to speak to someone]

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
gamefaqs

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Kin posted:

This is probably the most relevant thread, but did anyone ever put together a decent sidequest guide tool for Xenoblade Chronicles?

I'm replaying it on the 3DS but wanna try and get all the quests done and i remember skipping quite a few of them when i played it on the Wii because i couldn't find a simple list of:

[zone] - [quest] - [quest giver] - [exact location/time of quest giver] - [where to go to complete task, inc. time of day/location if you have to speak to someone]
This spreadsheet is what you're looking for: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=false&gid=10

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Among all the direct stuff, they announced that the presentation for the Dolls is going to be shown on the 10th, 10PM Japan time.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Champeenship posted:

Among all the direct stuff, they announced that the presentation for the Dolls is going to be shown on the 10th, 10PM Japan time.

Also, it's not just about Dolls anymore, it's also about the online features.

This week's website update:

-The Xenoblade X OST is going on sale in Japan on May 20th, contains 55 tracks and costs 3980 yen

-There's a new page on the basic classes: http://xenobladex.jp/battle/battle07.html
-Drifter: starting class, learns a balanced mix of arts. Standard weapons: knife, assault rifle
-Assault: learns attack and defense arts, gets bonuses to HP and melee attack. Standard weapons: long sword, assault rifle
-Command: learns various arts that increase your team's damage output, gets bonuses to accuracy and evasion. Standard weapons: dual swords, dual guns
-Forcer: support class with many ranged arts, gets bonuses to ranged attack power and potential. Standard weapons: knife, ray gun

-The next page is about buffs and debuffs: http://xenobladex.jp/battle/battle06.html
-Buffs and debuffs can be caused by weather and battle probes in the area
-Examples of buffs: Melee Accuracy Up, Ranged Attack Power Up, Beam Resistance Up, Damage Armor (absorbs a fixed amount of damage), Barrett Charge (doubles the damage of your next attack), Fake Body (evades a set number of attacks)
-Examples of buffs caused by weather or battle probes: All Resistances Up, Critical Rate Up, Ether Attack Up, Resist Down (makes it easier to inflict debuffs on enemies)
-Examples of debuffs: Break (makes it easier get Toppled or caught by an enemy Doll), Knockback, Stun, Sleep (ends when attacked), Black Sight (lowers accuracy, evasion and ranged damage), Burning Heat (periodically deals fire damage)
-Examples of debuffs caused by weather: Ranged Accuracy Down, Melee Damage Down, Weather Damage [Heat] (periodically deals fire damage), Weather Damage [Lightning] (periodically deals lightning damage)

-New illustration:

Doc V fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 9, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
That picture is sick

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I will waste so many hours trying recreate that image in a screen shot, even though the game will likely never let me even come close. Is that some sort of laser gun-sword he's firing off or what?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Fantastic!

Xenoblade had distinct party member roles and abilites which no doubt developed after a lot of thought from the developers. I hope the same thing is possible even with the user-defined classes. I suppose that it could be like Mass Effect 1 at worst, where any player class would overlap with one of your team mates.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nailed it.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

That's incredible. Cross is probably shooting something up in the sky but instead it looks like he decided to turn his back to the enemies just to pose for the cover.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That's loving sweet

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

god drat dude

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cheers, I think I may have tried to use that last time too. Is it 100% accurate? All I remember from my last play through is that I needed like 2 or 3 different sheets open and I can't remember if that was one of them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kin posted:

Cheers, I think I may have tried to use that last time too. Is it 100% accurate? All I remember from my last play through is that I needed like 2 or 3 different sheets open and I can't remember if that was one of them.

I had fantastic luck using the Xenoblade Wiki since not only does it do a good job of not spoiling things, but it gets granular with where to go to get things and generally has screenshots:

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Xenoblade_Wiki

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I had fantastic luck using the Xenoblade Wiki since not only does it do a good job of not spoiling things, but it gets granular with where to go to get things and generally has screenshots:

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Xenoblade_Wiki

Cheers, i'll check that out too.

I'm basically planning to do every sidequest i can in an area before i'm forced to move on. From what i remember, there weren't a great deal of cross zonal quests until well into the end of the game, but trying to find all the quest givers, etc was a loving nightmare.

Hopefully the new Xenoblade takes care of that a bit better and makes it easier to track and find people.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kin posted:

I'm basically planning to do every sidequest i can in an area before i'm forced to move on.

You're going to burn out hard when you get to Alcamoth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please replace the OP with this.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The only important thing I can remember about "I'm going to do all the side quests before loving with the plot" is that if you only have two people in your party, just go advance the plot until you get the third. You won't have to have just two people for long, and getting that third really helps. I can only think of two points where you have less than a full party and a chance to do side quests, though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

You're going to burn out hard when you get to Alcamoth.

Well I've already finished the game on the Wii when it first came out, this is just me doing a 100% (or as close to 100%) quest run in the DS version.

So yeah, Alcamoth is going to be frustrating again, but this time i know the game mechanics a bit better so it should still be enjoyable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

So I can buy this book and read it while waiting for the NA release right? RIGHT??? :cry:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
...is that Egil's Mechon in that photo?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

NTT posted:

...is that Egil's Mechon in that photo?

It's Octomom's mech from the end of the Battle direct.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Is the soundtrack by the same artist as Persona or Killa Kill or both?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kill la Kill and Gundam Unicorn. Nothing to do with Persona aside from sharing silly english lyrics.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

With sidequests, I'd honestly wait until you have enough party members to swap them in and out for affinity. I did a ton of colony 9 and got max affinity with just Shulk and Reyn, letting all that precious free affinity cred go to waste.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
On the other hand maxing affinity for those two asap is actually a really good idea because it's the best shooter>engineer combo for megaheating gems so you can be getting pairs of max strength rank IV gems the moment you hit makna forest

That and the chain attack benefits. Having a Shulk/Reyn/Dunban tryhard chain gang where you literally sustain damage in battle with shounen spirit and machismo and hit massive 10+ Max Chains before you run out of Red Arts in your back pocket for hard fights is always useful, and when you ever backtrack to fill out sidequests or are overlevelled, you can swap out for characters that you want to build affinity with the rest of the time. But having that party of 3 maxed out asap so you can always have a reliable chain attack wombo in a pinch is pretty important for your mid game. A lot of fights like the High Entia Tomb are pretty brutal if you don't have a way to get several Max Chained attacks off in a fight.

I've only done like half the sidequests for C9 and I haven't even stepped into the C6 Zone yet and Shulk and Reyn are already at the 2nd highest affinity level. Hopefully I can start trying to megaheat some good poo poo the moment I get access to rank II crystals in the mine. Filling out the collectapedia and megaheating kickass gems are my favorite way to minmax the campaign. :)

Nothing breaks the game harder than getting pairs of max strength agility gems for Dunban and Shulk as early as possible.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 5, 2015

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
24 Hour Happy People

A Xenoblade Chronicles X short story by Kazuho Hyoudou

PART.3 - "The toilets on Noah's Ark must have been structured like farm fields"

Why? Because they had to artificially rebuild the food chain.
For the same reason, the farm fields inside the space ark called the "White Whale" were built like factories. The farms utilized advanced biotechnology which allowed them to synthesize and produce not just vegetables, but even meat and fish.
The public food production plants were of course managed by the authorities and food supplies were strictly regulated, but due to the aforementioned technologies you only needed a test tube to start a farm. Countless illegal farms were born away from the prying eyes of the authorities, and inside a ship grappling with a chronic food shortage they quickly became a necessary evil that was quietly tolerated.
Whether they were small experiments inside test tubes or large-scale operations built inside re-purposed underground warehouses, the illegal farms were all known by a common and quite unceremonious name - factories.

The factory I visited with Tony was the largest one in the residential section - it was nicknamed the "Hacienda".
I would be lying if I said I had never used ingredients that weren't shipped from the official plants, but I had always obtained my contraband from the Fisherman's Alley and this was the first time I had visited a factory in person.
I followed behind Tony as we walked deep inside the Hacienda. His guidance was nearly perfect, especially considering that he had only ever heard of the place from someone he had worked with at a construction site. Perhaps he was an unexpectedly capable person at his core after all - his amazing memory almost reminded me of some of the high-ranked officers in the military.
"I don't really know anything about the shopkeeper, so was he the type of person who would feel comfortable in a place like this?"
"Huh? Well..."
Tony had suddenly stopped and turned towards me. I shrugged.
The zone known as the Hacienda had grown to a shape that filled the service tunnels and maintenance spaces stretching under the residential section. The underground space was surprisingly roomy and even maintained a similar level of illumination to the surface above, so it felt by no means cramped and gloomy. The comfort that Tony spoke of probably didn't refer to habitability, though, but rather to sensibilities - in short, whether one get used the gaudy graffiti on the walls and the loud music blasting from every corner. The Hacienda was almost like a huge underground night club.
I disliked that sort of environment. The strange voices of young people (I say young, but they were really several years older than me) that sometimes mixed in with the music seemed somehow demonic and made me feel frightened. When Tony asked whether the man at the meat shop, who always greeted me with a cheerful smile, could really feel at home in this ambiance, I could only respond with shrug.
"I mean, it's a hideout, so you can't really expect it to be very comfortable anyway"
"Sure, but even I feel out of place here, so wouldn't the owner stand out even more?"
"Aren't you forgetting something? In the end, this is a factory, a farm where they harvest meat and vegetables. People like him who know how to synthesize meat should be in high demand here"
"But, see-"
"Arrgh! Don't you ever get tired of arguing? Fine! I can take it from here alone, so you can just go back to the surface! Thank you very much, Tony!"
I bowed, turned away without even glancing at Tony's face and began descending a staircase leading even deeper into the Hacienda. I was annoyed because Tony's characteristic doubtful and cynical remarks had started repeating themselves. I felt like he was somehow complaining that it had been rash of me to come all the way here. I knew that, he didn't have to go and say it.
After hesitating for a second, Tony finally chased after me.
"I can't do that, Lyn- Irina made me promise I'd look after you. And if I go back they'll come after me aga- Hey, Lyn, wait!"
Listening to his plea, which almost sounded like he was going to burst into tears towards the end, I silently sighed and slowed down my descent.

The more we looked around the Hacienda, the stranger it seemed.
Tanks filled with materials and catalysts for chemical synthesis stood in dense rows with pipelines criss-crossing between them - the industrial scenery certainly lived up to the name 'factory'. But the facilities where the actual synthesis happened and the freezers where the finished products were stored had been hidden somewhere less conspicuous, and most of the space was filled by groups of happily chatting people, suspicious merchant stalls that were little more than tarps spread on the ground and street musicians banging on oil drums and amplifying their voices with devices I'd never seen before.
An industrial slum town - if I had to liken the Hacienda to something, that would probably be it. It was decadent but I could feel its energy, it was lawless but I could sense rules based on a sense of solidarity. And above all it was a farm field, but strangely enough also a home to a horde of people. It was the Hacienda, and it seemed to be filled with an intoxicating allure that didn't exist anywhere else.
In one nook of the Hacienda, Tony and I took a break in a quiet café. By quiet, I mean that it was somewhere mostly out of reach of the music and the flirtatious voices of people, though the sounds of construction work from the expanding facilities still reverberated through the area. Even now, the Hacienda continued to rapidly widen its borders.
"Isn't that the sound of a Doll engine? There's probably a lot of unregistered machines that don't get proper maintenance around here"
"Speaking of, aren't you a member of the army's service corps?"
"Yes. So detective work isn't exactly my specialty"

I played with my ice cream, thick with grease, and instinctively let out a sigh. We had spent the last few hours asking around as if we were detectives in a police procedural, but we hadn't managed to seize a single lead on the whereabouts of the vanished shopkeeper. Maybe tracking down a single person based on nothing but hearsay wasn't possible after all. Professional detectives probably did a bit more background investigation before moving out, but I didn't even know the shop owner's full name.
"We searched this long and came up empty handed, so maybe it's about time we give up. It's probably around midnight on the surface already"
"Wait, it's that late? I had no idea, the people down here have been acting the same the whole time"
"Most factories operate around the clock. Especially the Hacienda, a lot of weirdos who like to think they're artists hang out here and they detest the whole concept of regular hours. Plus, time isn't based on the movement of the sun anymore, it's all controlled by the ship's main computer, so they probably think that just by ignoring the clocks they're rebelling against the system and sticking it to the man or something"
"What are they, hippies?"
"You know some pretty old stuff, huh?"
"Nah, they made their n-th comeback and were popular just a while back... I see, that explains the strange atmosphere here. The Hacienda seems somehow detached from reality"
"Detached from reality... Sounds nice"
Tony followed his self-deprecation with a pretentious laugh. He had constantly behaved theatrically ever since we met, and now that I thought about it, his pitiful demeanor during the shootout and the escape had been part of the same act. I couldn't help but think that he was doing it to hide something.

"Tony, why did you do it? Why did you take on so much debt you had to sell your family certificate?"
"Huh?"
I had been wondering about it for a while now. I knew it was a pretty intrusive question, so if it seemed at all like he didn't want to answer I wasn't going to press it. However, Tony responded with a gentle laugh. Of course, his smile was still an act, but it gave me a slightly different impression than before.
"I may not look like it, but I used to be a scientist and even got some of my papers on human life support published. If you poke around on the White Whale for a while, you can probably find some equipment that's based on my research. I was pretty successful and-"
Suddenly, he paused and turned his face away from me. He looked somewhere far away and seemed lost in thought.
"And I got absorbed in my research and neglected my family, so my wife left me. I couldn't even freely meet our only daughter any more, and the only name left on my family certificate was my own"
"And that's why you didn't care about it anymore?"
"Not quite. I believed the three of us would live together again one day, so the certificate was still important to me. After all, you need one to prove you have a family. But a few months after the divorce, something happened. The Earth got caught up in a war between two alien civilizations and all of humanity had to flee into space..."
Tony's voice trailed off, but I could already guess the rest.
Since Tony was an accomplished scientist, he was likely bumped to the top of the list of people queuing to board the White Whale. Of course, the governments promised to evacuate all of humankind into space, but it was obvious that they gave preferential treatment to anyone who could increase humanity's chances of survival even a little. Tony was probably one of the 'chosen ones', so to speak, and it was a well-known fact that abusing that privilege just a little would allow one's family to board as well. In other words, Tony would normally have had no trouble bringing his family aboard the White Whale. If only he hadn't had a divorce a few months earlier...
"The names of my wife and daughter weren't listed in the White Whale's main data banks, but I clung to hope and kept looking for them around the ship. But I couldn't find them. I would've been fine if they had boarded one of the other colony ships, but we don't even know how many of the them made it out of the solar system..."
Ever since he found out that his family wasn't aboard the White Whale, Tony grew to loathe his family certificate. It had been a rope that could've saved his family, but it had snapped before he could put it to use. I could understand why he had pawned it off as loan collateral in a fit of rage.
"So, did you get the loan to look for your family?"
"Nah... I spent some of it on that, but I became depressed and spent most of it maintaining a rowdy lifestyle. I got used to wasting money and accomplishing nothing. When I gave up on getting back on my feet, I felt a little better"
"That's a pretty tragic story..."
"No. Just a pathetic one"

The sounds of construction continued to resound and the ice cream I had been playing with had melted completely. Its muddled marble pattern perfectly reflected my feelings.
"But- Tony, don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's fine if you don't get over it just yet"
Puzzled, Tony stopped staring into the distance and looked at me.
"Of course, that means the operational expenses of all the equipment used to keep you alive on this ship will go to waste for a while, and I really think you should feel sorry about that, but... Even so, it's fine if you don't recover right away, because that would mean giving up on your family..."
"Lyn-"
Tony blinked with surprise, but since he didn't reply with any of his usual buts, I kept talking.
"Don't bounce back, just keep dragging your past along as much as you want, but please cling to life as hard as you can. You can always get back on your feet later. Relax and wait and try again when you find the strength"
Tony stared at me and I smiled at him from the bottom of my heart.
"To be human is to be inefficient. Don't try to hurry so much!"
He had a surprised look on his face and his eyes were fixed on me.
Noticing his expression, I suddenly came to my senses. Waves of regret surged up and a shiver ran down my spine.

drat it, I just totally looked like I was going "Wow, I'm sooo smart". I had felt super-proud of myself even though I was just repeating the stuff the teacher at the Doll training institute had said, and to a full-grown adult, no less.
This always happens to me. I say something and immediately regret it. Before I start trying to give people advice, I need to do something about the speaker in my brain that's directly verbalizing everything I think.
"Lyn-"
"Aaaahhh, I'm sorry, that was really patronizing! I didn't think at all about how you felt and just blabbered about some theory I haven't even tested-"
"No, I don't care-"
For some reason, Tony bent forward towards my panicking self, as if bowing in apology.
But my confusion didn't stop there. He raised both his hands in front of his face and kept lowering his head even further.
And then-
The café table floated up as if weightless.

At first, I thought Tony had pushed down on the table and flipped it.
I was wrong.
Next, chairs tumbled down on the ground and the crude café counter tilted heavily.
I didn't even have time to say "something's wrong" before a violent crashing sound slammed into me. The earlier noises of construction couldn't even begin to compare to the sound that enveloped me and pierced my eardrums.
Everything in the café was blown away in an instant.
Thrown out on the ground along with the chairs, I hastily covered my head. I hadn't heard an explosion, so I didn't think a bomb or anything had gone off, but if something had collapsed I had to shield myself against falling debris.
However, only dust sprinkled down on me.
Coughing, I waited for a while to see if the coast was clear and finally stood up slowly.
Tony was next to me, also covered in dust. It seemed he was still alive.
Speaking of the things around me, there were overturned tables and chairs, the tilted counter and-
"Wha-!?"
I jumped in surprise when I saw the giant stretched out in front of me.
Oily shafts gleaming with a dim sheen, the sound of the still-running motor, the hot wind generated by the conversion of surplus energy.
A bundle of a frightful amount of machinery lay toppled on the ground.
It was a Doll with a frame I had never seen before.

To be continued...

Translator's note: the "family certificate" that comes up a few times in this one is a koseki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koseki), a type of family registry used in Japan that basically combines the functions of birth certificates, death certificates and a marriage license for a single household. Tony actually mentioned losing his in the previous chapter and I kinda glossed over it in editing since I'd rather not dump a bunch of translator's notes on you guys, but then it turned out to be actually important to the plot so here we are.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

NTT posted:

On the other hand maxing affinity for those two asap is actually a really good idea because it's the best shooter>engineer combo for megaheating gems so you can be getting pairs of max strength rank IV gems the moment you hit makna forest

That and the chain attack benefits. Having a Shulk/Reyn/Dunban tryhard chain gang where you literally sustain damage in battle with shounen spirit and machismo and hit massive 10+ Max Chains before you run out of Red Arts in your back pocket for hard fights is always useful, and when you ever backtrack to fill out sidequests or are overlevelled, you can swap out for characters that you want to build affinity with the rest of the time. But having that party of 3 maxed out asap so you can always have a reliable chain attack wombo in a pinch is pretty important for your mid game. A lot of fights like the High Entia Tomb are pretty brutal if you don't have a way to get several Max Chained attacks off in a fight.

Yeah, this is what i'm aiming for this time around. When i first played it, I never really bothered to get into any of the chain attack, gem crafting systems until late in the game and by skipping a bunch of the quests, my town affinities were too low to make trading sequences easier later when i got to them.

Now, i'm not even out of bionis leg yet, but i've got colony 9 up to 3 stars already and i don't feel under-levelled when fighting bosses this time.

I'm sure i read somewhere that there's a fairly easy method of farming affinity between party members if you find an enemy that can put one to sleep or something.

edit: i'm still trying to remember how to deal with a few mechanics though.

For levelling up arts, i vaguely recall that you can't level up every move to max due to reaching the leel cap before you get enough ap to put into moves. So off the back of that i assume there are some priority moves that are super useful for each character to put points into (like Monado Shield).

On the note of the shield though, i've also forgotten how to deal with the different precognition attacks or whatever they're called from enemies. White, you load up the shield, but what do you to for red and blue? Agility or something?

Kin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 5, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If you constantly do sidequests and feed the collectables that give 3 big hearts as soon as you find them on the map (blue chains for shulk, dobercorgis for melia, etc) you should be hitting your affinities in a pretty healthy timeframe. It's supposed to take a while; be proactive in not wasting chances to get it, but don't try to force it. Just enjoy the game :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
For red attacks you can use Monado speed, but the tried and true method that works 100% of the time is to use a chain attack to force daze. This is obviously not really the same priority as 'get Big DPS' but sometimes you need to bust a critical attack. If I remember correctly, toppling an enemy will delay the attack, but you need to Daze them to make it completely reset. I might be wrong and you just need to topple though?? Dunno.

e; also due to how the AP costs for levelling arts scales the more you skill something, I would just prioritize one skill in particular and then just evenly level the other arts that are in your regular rotation. Sword Drive, Monado Buster, and Back Slash are always first dibs for my AP because you can ignore Arts cooldowns during chain attacks and get 2 really massive arts off within like a second of each other if you cancel the art into a chain attack.

Also, put points into Monado Enchant! The extra damage on hit goes up by 50 per point, and the duration goes up by 10 seconds per point; it also only costs half a arts bar, so you can cast it for free basically every fight. If at any point you are gonna fight something that approaches being a threat to you, pop monado enchant. I like to weave auto attacks into my arts so I end up proccing it like 8 or 9 times per cast of enchant. It's only 50 damage on hit at first, but once you start hitting Makna and you get 4 points in it that bad boy is giving you 200 bonus damage on hit for all of your party members. It's really strong and one of the most underrated buffs in the game. I almost prefer maxing Enchant over Buster, because unlike Buster I can pop Enchant immediately and if a Big Bad is preparing to use a Vision Tag inducing attack the SECOND after I blow half my talent arts bar on casting it, I have the tools necessary to get back to a full talent bar for Monado arts before those 8 second are up. I'm gonna be honest; my fear of casting Monado Buster as a damage tool and then being immediately punished for it by a boss casting something that I would have needed Speed or Shield for is pretty real. Monado Arts spends a lot of time full and waiting to be used that's wasted because of that. Monado Enchant only uses half a bar which is much easier to reacquire in a pinch, which gets you in the habit of not wasting your Talent art bar. Yeah Buster deals nice AoE burst damage, but Enchant consistently increases my party dps and I can cast it basically guilt free, as opposed to Buster which has a pretty significant opportunity cost of 'well gently caress now my talent bar is empty and i need to cast monado speed RIGHT NOW'

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 5, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Blue means an ether art, and I don't think the Monado has anything for dealing with those. You need to use Melia's Reflect, or something like Reyn's Guard Shift or Sharla's Shield Bullet to negate the damage, or just heal the person up so the damage doesn't kill them. Or daze the enemy, as described above.

Edit: ^^ if you want to use Buster more often you can always try loading Shulk up with haste and double attack gems so the gauge fills up faster!

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 5, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's pretty true; Ether attacks like that require a lot more commitment on your part to stopping them. Usually it involves trying to go for a daze (you DID set up your 1-2-3 team set up for daze right?) or just straight up warning an ally for a skill that they have that might help. The game is usually pretty good about this though; you will see Actually Dangerous Ether Attacks almost never, compared to Talent Arts or Physical attacks, which are like 80% of what you'll see. The game's geared for Shulk being the player controlled character. Very little is something you can't handle by being Shulk.

Also, the game will also only warn you about an enemy attack if it threatens to greviously wound or kill an ally. If you pay attention to enemy patterns, you can actually use Speed/Shield to preemptively block an early channeled attack while your team is still healthy. A well placed Shield on Reyn 20 seconds into a fight can save him 3000 hp and a Daze/Poison status condition.

^^ I find Double Attack and Haste gems seriously compete with Agility and Quick Step Gem slots for Shulk, at least for the majority of the game. Until you get ahold of Agility gems powerful enough to max your stat out in 2 slots, I have to settle for less than I want of those. Plus, it is really loving hard to get good DA and Haste gems, as opposed to Agility which literally every green ether deposit have.

Seriously 2 slots with Quick Step gems in them is pretty much required. I always slot the II gem you get from maxin out the C9 collectapedia, as well as the II you can find embedded in the pair of Messenger Boots you can buy at the Refugee Camp Shop. I'm pretty sure Otharon hands over a III when you finally finish the 'have the refugee camp migrate back to colony 6' sidequest chain as well.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 5, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I see Cthulu type stuff is popular in video games lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I see Cthulu type stuff is popular in video games lately.

Quasi-religious bizarre alien horrors have been part of the Xeno- meta-franchise from the start haven't they?

• Locked thread